2014-10-19 16:38:30

Hi all,
So yesterday (18 (October) was the day of that convention I posted about earlier in the month.
Wel, let's just say it went a lot better than your experience Dark. Seriously, this was one of the best times I've ever had. There were loads of costumed characters, it was very interactive and not too busy (400 tickets allocated.
So, without any further adoo, here are my thoughts on Feel the Force Day 2014.
There was everything from a growling predator, to a talking c3PO (the guy sounded very much like the real thing), r2d2 was there right beside him too, again, making sounds. There was also a wookee making sounds, a Jawa again, with sound effects, some talking cybermen, a dalek but that one didn't talk, a talking and breathing Darth vader, there were princesses from Disney films, princesses were all in character, I got upgraded into a cyberman (they let me try on the helmet, then they took off the helmet then we got a photo of two cybermen right next to me trying to upgrade me. Then they let me try on the upper arm, then they added the lower arm. Then they added the chestplate, and finally they put on the helmet and enclosed me in it, the back of the helmet sort of locked into place.)
I asked about the cyberman costume, and it was built over three years. I think it's a replica rather than the real thing, but it was still incredibly detailed, and a bit bulky, but still amazing.
I met Warrek Davis and we discussed Harry Potter, he told me that when he went on the new ride in Florida he closed his eyes as he got scared, and he said that I'd still get a lot out of it because the vehicle moves a lot, and there are water and audio effects.
There were smell jars, and some of them were, to say the least, odd, and also clever. There was a tarmac jar that smelt like tarmac, but there was also the infamous labyrinth of Eternal Stench, which, well, stunk. There were some strong smells that made my nose tingle a bit too.
So, in summary, my top five stand-out characters of the day and why, not necesarily in order because to be honest, the hole day was fantastic and there's no single best moment:
C3PO as said before, sounded like the original voiceI . don't think it was, but at one point I really did wonder if it was Anthony Daniels in there. I didn't ask as he was completely in character. Well we had gone round the hole thing, came back to c3PO and he asked if I'd had a good day. R2d2 was there the first time, and r2 was responding to me, with 3PO translating. However r2 was no where to be seen the second time. In fact, I asked where is R2, and 3PO said he couldn't find him. He kept going on about some plans. Well, I think you can see where this is going.
"He seems to have retreaved the plans for the death star," says 3PO. He then says, "but I thought master Luke blew it up." I then asked if R2 could be experiencing a short circuited memory, and 3PO seemed to think that maybe r2 was, indeed, experiencing that.

Next, The Princesses, it started out as three of them: Belle, Cinderella, and Snow White. All in character and all sounded quite authentic. However, I got a genuine surprise. After mingling with characters for a while, we bumped into the founder of the event, JJ, and while I was talking to him I was speaking about the princesses. He suddenly turns to me and says, oh hold on, heres' someone. I turn around and she introduces herself as Elsa. I immediately knew that name, it's a character from the movie Frozen. I was quite surprised because I wasn't sure if they'd have someone playing that character. Of course, I asked if Anna was around. Well next thing you know, a couple minutes later, low and behold, both of them were on either side of me. I asked about the songs and yep, they started singing. Definitely a fun little moment.
Then, The Cybermen, I still can't believe I got to see what the costume was like, and that it took three years to build. I got to stand there in the costume for at least five, maybe ten minutes, I don't know, I kind of had lost track of time by that point.
Then, there's Chubacka, or at least a wookee. The funniest moment? We caught the wookee, completely in costume and all, going into the Burger queue! Absolutely hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.
Last but not least, there's what I'd like to call the predator group. I'm not entirely sure what these were collectively, but there was the growling predator, and a female huntress with an alien head as a trophy. Also part of that group, was a woman dressed in a steampunk costume. I wasn't introduced to her until near the end of the event, so I was once again surprised. I got to hold a whip-type thing, and I held the whip and got a photo of the predator behind me.
What made this extremely interesting though was I must have made such a lasting impression because at the end of the event, the predator asked us (by leaning over and speaking in Dad's ear!) to not go quite yet. We waited near the backstage area, and we had to wait for a while, but the reward for waiting? I got to meet the person behind the costume, along with the huntress.
The person playing the predator comes up to me and I say that you were really good. And he says to me, it's people like you that make our day and make us happy to be here. Then he brings out the predator head so I can feel the weight. Well I then ask if I can try wearing the head, and he lets me! That head is really cool, rather large too.
An honorable mention would have to go to Bumblebee, of transformers fame. In the morning, I sat in a replica car of Bumblebee, and even got to beep a transformers logo horn. The horn just beeped (no transformers sounds), but it was still fun.
However, after lunch, a robot Bumblebee was spotted. Well I had to go say hello. Now, this one didn't talk and I'm guessing that the costume is just way too big to allow for that sort of thing, but also, it's quite nice because Bumblebee doesn't really talk anyway. So I got to feel his head as he was answering my questions, and he was nodding or shaking his head accordingly. The best one? I asked if he was affraid of megatron and he answered no.
All in all, this event was fantastic. I can't find any faults with it. It's a ten out of ten from me.

Thumbs up

2014-10-19 17:17:52

Sounds like a lot of fun aaron, but stench jars of the Bog of Eternal stench? ---- -really?

Sinse "the bog" is sort of a northern (or maybe just nottingham), term for the loo, well you can imagine what my brother and I used to think the Bog of eternal stench smelled like big_smile.

The convention actually sounds like a realy fun Doctor who one I went to a few years ago. That also had about six cybermen, an Ood, and a fully functional Dalek complete with voice, which I got to get in and drive around, threatening to exterminate people, indeed I have a photo on my key ring of me standing next to the Dalek.

There were several famous actors there including my favourite Doctor Colin baker, in costume who I even managed to persuade to sing Gilbert and Sullivan, (who is a lot nicer in person than he occasionally is as the Doctor), also Terry Molloy, complete with his Davros Mask and Nicholas Courtney who it was a genuine privilige to meet as he died only about three months later. I have a lovely photo of him standig and leaning on my shoulder.

All of them gave talks about Doctor who and their experiences. I particularly liked the point that one kid asked TerryMolloy how he did the davros voice, and he slowly morphed his own speaking voice into Davros while explaining the mind set of how he did it. It was a genuinely amazing bit of voice work, sinse he managed to turn from quite a reserved and kindly old gentleman into the creator of the Daleks over the course of about three sentences, and he didn't even need the electric modulation on his voice, he suddenly became! Davros, I was genuinely impressed. 

So, yes, I can see how that convention could be good fun, indeed if you let me know when next years is I might see about heading down to that end of the country as scifi and disabilities is right up my alley, though obviously I'd need to know in advance sinse I'd have to book trains and accommodation and so on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)