2014-10-01 19:26:06

Hi.

I just thought we'd try this as a brief experemint. A friend of mine used to run it on her forum, and I started using it on the Sryth forums quite some time ago where it worked well.

The rules are simple. Just a generalized monthly chat topic to talk about life, school/university/work, friends, games, what your doing, what your reading or watching at the moment.

Just a sort of none specific chin wag with not much point aside from itself.

To prevent it from getting too long, a new topic gets started on the first of each month and the old one gets abandoned (I could close the old topics but that seems overkill).

So, why am I starting this monthly chat custom now?

It's something I've thought of for a while, and there is a principle reason.

The Offtopic room is supposed! to be for talking about anything and everything apart from games, yet I've noticed for quite some time it seems to have turned into the "technology questions" room, with the odd topic about blindness (and most of those about blind technology), or very occasionally books.

Discussion of technology is fine, but there is certainly no reason not to discuss anything and everything else, ---- so lets give monthly chat a try.

if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and fare enough.

To begin, I'll say what I'm currently doing. I'm still working on my thesis however this weekend I'm traveling to London for a very whacky sunday vocal studdies course. this is taught by a lady who's something of a loon, called Morag Mclarren, who has done everything from being a professional soprano, to having her own nightclub act and directing musicals. She is particularly brilliant at bringing out the humour in a given performance, (if anyone remembers my  master of the house recording, a lot of the direction in that were suggestions by Morag).

What I particularly like about this course, is that you end up doing mad stuff, like lie on the floor and try to count numbers without interupting other people,or stand in a circle and try to display either a positive or negative emotion. I also like the fact that people could take anything! I'm taking a song from Eutopia Limited, a light opera written in the late 19th century (gilbert and sullivan, but not one of their well known ones). The song is about the fact that tenors in love can't sing properly. I don't like the fact that everyone I've heard do this has sung it as a serious balard, sinse it really isn't! so I hope Morag will help with the comedy.

LAst year we got people bringing everything from Baroque Arias, to musicals and experimental stuff (I took along some Vaghn williams), so I'm expecting a good variety.

the only annoying thing is the trains are a pest on Sundays, and I'm likely to be late which is irritating!quite apart from the less than cheap train tickit or taxi from St. Pancrus station to Dullwitch. I don't mind, it's something I just have to put up with (and what I get mobility allowance for), but it's still a miner pest.

I also am currently working my way through some of the early big finish Doctor who dramas, which are great! indeed in some ways this is a bad idea sinse it shows me just how much the Moph's writing for the series is lacking, though i am thinking of having a break and reading some sf by Iain banks in his culture series, as I've only ever read one book in this series and really want to read more.

I am now deciding whether to  eat chilly or ring Papa Johns for a Pizza. Pappa Johns is definitely my favourite commmercial pizza place (better than Dominoes or the hut), particularly snse they're nice enough to tell me the offers over the phone rather than expecting me just to work on the vouchers that get shoved through people's doors.

Sinse however I'm feeling a little full I'll probably go with the Chilly and have Pizza tomorrow or Friday instead.

So, Broadly speaking that's what I am up to, how about everyone else?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-01 20:04:49

Some of us can't talk about what is going on in our lives, without taking the conversation back to games!  ROFL!  Just kidding.

I like the idea of the monthly chat, and I look forward to reading what people post.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

Thumbs up +1

2014-10-01 20:12:49

Let's see, i'm waiting for my iPhone 6, which should be here shortly. I'm pretty excited, as this will be my first smartphone. I have had iPads and iPods, just not the phone part. I'm also working on some college work, and downloading the new microsoft windows 10 technical preview. Will see how microsoft does with this next version of windows. I might sign up for the insider program that they have going for the preview, and provide accessibility feedback, i'm curious to see how much they actually listen to feedback, considering that this insider program is supposed to make this the best version of windows yet, according to them. I'll also be leaving town in a couple of weeks to get some time away from home and responsibility for a while lol.

Thumbs up

2014-10-01 21:18:06

@Aprone, I  wouldn't say "no talking about games here or else!" Rather if your going to talk about games, make it a sort of general chat type thing rather than about great game ideas or how your stuck on a certain game or whatever. For example, there is a difference between "I am coding this awsome audio game called psycho murder cyber hambster death gore revenge arena 3000! which is a beatemup crossed with an rpg crossed with a shootemup crossed with sports management" (hay, I want to play it now!).

And "Well I've been coding Swamp for so long yesterday I ate the postman!" big_smile.

@Arqmeister I will probably join you on the Iphone 6 at some point, but I want to wait at least a little while until i can find out more about it. As I've said I like the idea of larger screens, though that is a discussion for elsewhere.

Where are you off on your two week break?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-01 21:24:12

I'm off to the state of colorado to visit some friends. It might be a little cold, but here in Texas, the heat can be overwhelming at times.

Thumbs up

2014-10-01 22:32:07

Hi.
This is an interesting topic!
Okay, so in my part of the world it's heading towards summer, and I'm on the eave of a short recess before our final term, before the year concludes. (I'm in my 3rd year of studying music).
Just a couple of hours ago I finished an assignment on Jazz Fusion that needs to be submitted tomorrow; yes I am a procrastinator and I really need to do something about this habit, but hey I'll worry about that later. big_smile
During this (week long) break I plan to relax a few days, then begin working on another essay I need to submit when the next term starts, as well as practicing for the practical exams in November (for me it's piano and vocals). Oh and, of course, I need to find a new book to read. I finished the Frontier Saga by Rick Brown a week or so ago, which I found rather interesting.
And now, after posting this, I'll probably listen to some music before going to bed, as I have an early day tomorrow.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2014-10-01 23:12:19

At brendan: Lol, i procrastinate as well. It's a bad habit, but even after over 5 years of university work, i still do it.

Thumbs up

2014-10-01 23:24:33

Well, I for one like this topic. Its a chance to get to know the forum members a bit better, get an idea of what people are up to, and discuss something other than just technology. So I hope this continues.

As for myself I am going through a number of personal transitions which aren't exactly easy for me. The main one is I am going through a long drawn out divorce, and unfortunately the court proceedings have been delayed. As a result I'm kind of up in the air and in limbo not knowing exactly what the future holds for my son and I until things are settled on that front.

In any case I'm making the most of a bad situation. As I have indicated in another topic I am a big fan of autumn, and now that it is October there will be a lot of things to do in terms of festivals, parades, hay wagon rides, and other community activities for Halloween. Most of the TV stations will also be broadcasting Halloween specials like horror movies, cartoons, etc which provide a bit of entertainment as well.

The last couple of days I have been listening to old time radio broadcasts such as the Weird Circle, the Haunting Hour, the Mercury Theater, Lights Out, etc because they had some very good Halloween and horror type stuff. Excellent stuff for this time of the year.

Other than that not much to talk about right now. Mainly just relaxing playing Park Boss, reading a few books, etc. Nothing of real importance right now.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-10-02 01:03:10

Hi all,
OK, this is a nice idea.
Well, here in the UK we've actually had nice weather, so we'll be doing stuff as a result.
Firstly I think I'm going to a place this weekend called Gunwarf quays which is a sort of shopping center type thing, however that's not the main reason I'm excited. As part of that trip we may walk along to Southsea, and that's the place which should hopefully have some new arcade games to play. I'm not sure what to expect.
Secondly, later in the month I'm going to a convention by the name of Feel the Force day. It's being touted as a sci-fi convention for people with disabilities, so we'll see. I'm trying this one as I think it's going to be a bit smaller and not as crowded as something like comicCon. I might get to meet Warwick Davis, but honestly, that's the only guest I know who will be there, as there isn't really a website that shows announcements, so we'll ahve to see who else may be there.
Thirdly there's a martial arts grading coming up, so I've been preparing for that. Some meditation, some self defense and some form work (basically a set of precise moves, a little complex to explain)
Lastly, it's Halloween at the end of the month! Hopefully there'll be some trick or treaters and such. I'm looking forward to getting out the talking doorbell and other little halloween toys that I've got. I don't have too many. A sweet bowl that has a moving skeleton and makes a few sounds, a talking mummy, and a musical grim reaper thing that plays the Addams Family theme.

Thumbs up

2014-10-02 04:17:03

I'm also going to try the Windows technical preview which will be interesting, I'm just hoping there won't be anymore automatic opt-in things like the improvement program than there already are in Windows 8, because for some absolutely unfathomable reason I don't like the idea of my computer constantly sending and receiving information from Microsoft without me knowing about it, and their concept of privacy seems to get more and more vague all the time. I'm enjoying the change to fall as well, as it gets ridiculously hot here during the summer. I'm in my senior year of high school and have a bad habit of procrastinating too, so not a good combination there. Was thinking about asking a girl I know out to a dance my school is doing, but she's busy that weekend, not sure if I'm going to go myself, but I doubt it. I've been hooked on smugglers for a while now, and am currently trying to get through a game as a bounty hunter without losing all my lifepoints. So, not much happening here.

We move in circles, balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere, colliding with our fate...this story ends where it began.

Thumbs up

2014-10-02 08:43:52

i really like the idea of this topic. well, monday i have begun my second year in university, luckily no work to do yet. i have to admit that i'm procrastinating all the time too. this is unpleasant because i allways end up learning two or one day before the exam. the fact that for some courses i had a ridiculous amount of studying didn't help me much. for my literature of the restoration course i had about 70 books to read and i end up reading none of them.
in the weekend i thing i will just stay home, maybe i will go to a birthday party i am invited to.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

Thumbs up

2014-10-02 09:27:12

Glad people are liking this,it would be nice if the idea court on.

@Arq, well I don't know much about Collerado, but at least your in the best place to be safe from the zombocalypse! big_smile.

@Bcs, procrastination is bad, I've wanted to stop doing it, ---- one of these days, at some point big_smile.

Funnily enough I always find I do my own best work under creative influence, indeed I once wrote one of my best essays in a single night. Of course this doesn't help with practicing anything music based sinse that is something you need to just keep working your muscles at.

@tom, interesting your listening to some of those old Murcury theatre broadcasts, sinse the next one of the original Big finish doctor who audios I have  involves the 8th doctor and Charley ending up in Chicago in 1937, where (apart from the Doctor making some really bad private eye jokes), they manage to foil an alien invasion by getting Orsen Wells to pretend the earth has already been taken over by the Marsians! big_smile.

I have heard a couple of those older radio things, but mainly only the sf ones that sort of interested me like the Dramatizations of HG Wells and FRay Bradberry stories. The bradburry stuff was actually a bit disappointing, but then again writing style has always been one of the most unique things about Bradbury.

@Aaron, interesting on the convention, I am actually a bit jealous if you get to meet Willow himself big_smile.

There isn't a massive amount of autumn related stuff going on that I know, but at least the weather up here is no longer as hot as hell, or at least it cycles through sunny with wind and actually cold with frost big_smile.

I have to wander up  to town and buy some coffee this morning, sinse I replenish the supplies each week (Reever likes the walk anyway), then I'll be attempting to whip my singing muscles into shape for Sunday and maybe more Doctor who. I really do need to try park boss but gaming wise I've been having a break recently as even with things like Paladin of the Skies I've felt a bit of burn out.

2014-10-02 10:02:26

At dark: I actually am going to start listening to some of that doctor who big finish stuff. I was enspired to do so mostly because it seems like quite a few folks really enjoy them. Do you have any recommendations as to where i should start? Should i start from there earlyest offerings and work my way forward? I'm not a big whovian, but i'm willing to give the overall series a huge chance, listening to ours of content if needed. The only episodes i have seen on television was the series from 2005.

Thumbs up

2014-10-02 10:44:33

Hello.
Wow, good topic!
I too have noticed recently that a lot of the topics in this room are to do with technology, so I think it's a good idea to just have somewhere to talk about a lot of other things.

Well, as some of you might have noticed, I've not been on the forum in a long while. This isn't because I don't enjoy coming on here anymore, or that I've moved onto better things; it's just I've been so busy with so much recently. I often come on here to look at the topics and see if anything interesting's happening, and today since I've not got as much to do as I have had recently, I decided to log in again. smile
Well, let's see. Since the beginning of September, I've been back at college. I'm pretty busy with a few assignments I need to get in at the end of the week, but like so many others, I'm terrible for procrastinating. I often find I work better when I've not got all that much time to do it in anyway, since I know that I have no chois but to get on with it.
I'm also pretty excited; this weekend one of my friends from college who left last year is coming to visit us all again for the weekend. It's more than likely that we'll go out, have a meal and probably stay up half the night talking about completely random things. smile
A part from this, I've not been doing much else. I too am glad it's autumn though; I love this time of year! Although actually, here in the UK it does seem unusually warm for the beginning of October, well, at least down south it does. I expect that back in Scarborough it's pretty cold, but I look forward to going home for half term in two weeks.
Well, that's it for now, but I'll check back at this topic and be sure to make more posts. big_smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2014-10-02 11:25:39

I decided to go back to college. Was incredibly optimistic (especially about not winding up with a backward sleep schedule for half the semester, which naturally ruins most of what I was hoping to accomplish).
That's pretty much all I've got. But it sounds like a popular thing to do this year, based on this thread. smile

Came here after WebVism refused to let me redo the capcha on Senseg's order form, claiming that 30 seconds and 3 minutes are pretty much the same thing. I probably won't be able to afford the Senseg SDK, but they don't give a price anywhere so I thought I'd submit a request anyway.

Wanting to see Nightwish when they come to the US next April/May. Planning on hitting the Chicago show (04/18/2015). Really wanting to do VIP but that's about 4 times the cost of General and I really don't have enough money to justify that sort of thing. (Well, I don't really have enough money to justify the general admission price, either, but shut up, I need to get out more and it's way cheaper than my parents' Disney Cruise fandom.).
(Was also considering Dallas/Orlando, but unless someone changes my mind between now and me getting my debit card information in a format I can read and it's not sold out by then, I'll go for Chicago. I have no idea how I'd get to Dallas, but Chicago is easiest for me to reach next to Saint Louis, and my parents and Tuomas Holopainen have a love of Disney in common that I'm sure could transform into transportation were I to wish upon a star.)
Incidentally, there's the IE3Haptics Symposium in Chicago next June. I know nothing about that other than "Haptics? Chicago? Symposium? *Wants*".

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2014-10-02 12:11:10

@Lauren, if durham is anything to judge by, Scarborough is probably chilly, albeit not as chilly as here. This morning there was actual frost on the ground, albeit it was still sunny.

Btw, to anyone outside the Uk the reason people over hear talk about the weather so much is that it is about as consistant as your average atomic particle in a quantum state of indecision and trying to actually predict what it will do at any time is rather like trying to roll a double six on a couple of D1000000000's!

indeed "changeable as the weather" used to be a common british saying.

Where are you at colidge Lauren? and when you say colidge, do you mean a sixth form colige, ie, doing AS levels, or university? It's an americanism that sort of confuses me to say that universities are colidges, especially sinse in Britain you can do intrinsically different things at them.

@Arqmeister, Starting at the beginning with Big Finish doctor who is probably a good idea if your not familiar with Doctor who generally. Bare in mind that the new who series did have some differences from the classics, especially the fact that it started with the 9th Doctor in Christopher Ecleston.

With the Bf monthly stories you'll have Doctors 5, 6, 7 and 8, and of course the Time Lords are still around.

Mostly the stories are great quality and stand quite well even if your not familiar with Doctor who beyond the fact that he's a time lord who travels around space and time in a police telephone box with various companions (usually though not always human). Of course there are less good audios, but the quality is over all exceptional.

I'd recommend starting with the monthly adventures as that is bf's main series. If you start at the beginning you will also get some of the series plot, for example the 8th Doctor's meeting with Charley.

I would personally recommend starting with the second in the monthly range Phantasmagoria.

The first story, Sirens of time features doctors 5, 6, and 7, and invasion of Galifrey by a random race, and a huge amount of temporal shenanigans, so probably would be a bit confusing if your not familiar either with those doctors or with things like The Timelords.

The second story Phantasmagoria however  would be a great starting point. (I listened to it recently myself again), it has the fifth doctor and Turlough in Regency Britain, gambling, card playing, mysterious disappearences, a bit of necromancy with an sf twist and a very awsome bad guy.

You don't really need much for knolidge and it's a nice start to the sort of things Doctor who can do.

Just go on from there and you'll get introduced to the Doctors and some of their companions in each story, including people like the very awsome Evelyn Smythe whom are exclusive to Big Finish. Number 3 for example Whispers of terror features my favourite Doctor, Mr. Colin Baker and Peri in a museum dedicated to sound (awsome audio sound work in that one), while the 5th story, The fear monger has the tricky 7th Doctor and the indomitable Ace stopping a political conspiracy in present day Britain.

Of course there are Bf's other Dr. who related series, but I'd recommend very much starting with the first monthly and going on from there, ---- or at least starting with Phantasmagoria and perhaps going back to Sirens of Time later on.

Oh, and yes, these will eat your life! heck, I've heard all the audios, right up to the current 191, plus all the Doctor who spinoffs, and now! I'm listening to them again sinse I'm a nutter!

Either way it's better than the dreck that has been the tv series ever sinse Steven Mophat took over.

2014-10-02 14:46:58

About the procrastination thing:
I also find that I work more efficiently when I'm under pressure. But I do tend to worry a lot about the work; for example yesterday I had about 1000 words left to write and I, at one point, thought I wouldn't make it.
But as you say Dark, you can't really procrastinate if you have music to prepare. For me, playing piano at university level is one of the most taxing things in my life, especially since it's such a big amount of work they expect each semester. For example, I need to prepare a program of 25 - 30 minutes for the November exams. And obviously because I'm blind I can't sightread like most of my classmates, so I have to memorize everything.
It's always so interesting when you all speak of Autumn; as I mentioned before it's spring here, well mostly anyway. It felt as if we just moved straight from Winter into Summer. But then the weather seems to go all weird all around the world lately.
Someone also mentioned Halloween. Here it's not really a big thing and as far as I know, celebrations are reduced to the occasional themed party on the night. Considering how unsafe it is here, going from door to door asking for trick or treat might result in you getting more than you bargained for. Interestingly, I've never taken part in anything Halloween related; I guess I just don't get what all the hipe's about.
I've also not been playing a lot of games lately. I tried Paladin of the Sky, but got busy with other stuff so I never got around to buying it; park boss seems interesting enough and almost like Football chairman, which I'm playing on my phone, in terms of managing a business.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2014-10-02 18:46:02

Been trying to watch series 8 of Hustle but stupid Amazon video streaming is being stupid. Did I mention it's stupid?

Getting involved in a project with the blind society down in Louth, the only one that covers where I live, to try and encourage VI people to take up computers using iPads so I'll see how well that goes. As an aside apparently you can get VAT exemption for iPads as an assistive product but not iPhones strangely.

Also back at my Braille class which pleases Kirk, he likes the attention. I'll probably just about finish when the whole thing will be turned upside down with the introduction of unified English braille but hey ho.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

Thumbs up

2014-10-03 09:17:58

@Bcs, one thing I've found myself is I really! enjoy learning music. I find it slightly difficult to motivate myself to practice if I'm just doing vocal exercises, voice maintenance and practicing what I've already learnt, but if I have something new to learn I think "wow! something new to memorize" I actually enjoy the process of memorizing and learning stuff, or at least I do msot of the time which is why i wanted to study voice.

Regarding Halloween, it's about the same here, ie, there are a couple of themed parties and things on tv (if you still own a tv which I don't, though i do have lots of dvds), but it's not really something major the way I believe it is in the states. Occasionally you get kids wandering around for trick or treat, but I'm afraid certainly in cities like Nottingham where my parents are, this is mostly just extortion for sweets and usually the "trick" tends to be some miner act of vandalism like having eggs or silly string chucked at your house. Then again Nottingham is a crime ridden hole, and I've not heard of that sort of thing happening up here.

I  did go trick or treating once with my cousin's family, however this was rather different and certainly didn't involve going door to door, it was just riding around in costume with my Aunt and uncle visiting people they knew, and the "trick" (which we had to use once), was someone being squirted with a water pistol (and not one of the violent ones), that was rather fun.

@Cx2, I believe the thinking behind the vat exemption is that an Ipad as a device for writing, sending e-mails etc, and a phone is recreational, though given you can do many of the same things on an Iphone and also that if your visually impared that's all the more reason to have a phone with you the thinking is a little whacky.

This morning I am meeting a friend of mine for coffee. She's just had a baby and sort of wants to reconnect with the world generally, and sinse up until just over a month ago we met every week for a tabletop rp game it'll be nice to see her again.

2014-10-03 10:20:33 (edited by lauren.downie96 2014-10-03 10:21:24)

Hi.
@Dark, yes, according to my family, it's rather cold in Scarborough at the moment. We had a bit of ground frost a few days ago, but yeah, the weather's so unpredictable here. Down in Worcester, (where I go to sixth form) it's slightly warmer, but I think the colder weather's finally setting in.
And yes, I'm doing ALevels. smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2014-10-03 10:22:45

I'd describe Halloween as LARP with candy as GP/XP.
(I never actually encountered the trick half of trick-or-treat in practice. I've never really even heard it acknowledged all that often. Though I guess arguably that is the entire point of Disney's "Trick or Treat" (1952?), which I might go watch right now. Or I could just upload a recording of me in second grade trying to reenact/narrate it? The decorative aspect of Halloween/Christmas (but not so much the other commercialized-off-a-cliff holidays) is something I'm really missing for lack of vision. I once screwed with the colors on my grandmother's TV to play Mario with a more Halloween-esque color scheme, if that tells you anything.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

Thumbs up

2014-10-03 10:38:25

@Lauren, didn't realize you were at new colige Worcester. I knew some people that went to my very horrible specialist cschool who went there, though obviously they'll have long sinse left by now.

@Cae, what is Gp-xp? unless you mean gold peaces and experience, and last I checked people didn't give out gold as treats for Halloween, though I could imagine a slightly twisted rpg of that sort :d.

I admit even though I don't have a lot of vision, I love! still being able to see colours of things, though usually there aren't really many Halloween decorates or lights around in Britain and you either have to wait until Christmas, go to a specific seaside town who have illuminations as an attraction, or go to a Hindu community during Divali.

I also collect and have in my flat a lot of weerd fantasy statuary, from dragons to gorgons and ogres, and of course my Lotr  themed chess set, which are obviously just as tactile as they are visual, though annoyingly the conventional decorations for festivals don't usually  get that detailed.

2014-10-03 11:07:28

Hi,
On the Isle of Wight they have started to run a story-driven halloween event called Park of The Dead, set in some tunnels. I haven't plucked up the courage to go yet though. I did some fright night mazes at thorpe park and got very scared, but also found it pointless because there's no story involved there. I might ahve to contact park of the dead and see if they can give me a sort of comparison, as I'm kind of interested in it for the story aspect.
I remember on one halloween the release of swamp multiplayer had jus happened, so I was answering the door to trick or treaters and at the same time blasting zombies between.
Also, I agree with the trick barely being used at all. I haven't even seen it once, so I've got no idea what people have planned.

Thumbs up

2014-10-03 12:16:53

I've heard of people who  get involved in Larp (live action role play), zomby and vampire events around this time, including things like public zomby marches for charity and such, I've never done  them though sinse I generally avoid Larp as if I'm going to Rp I'd rather rp a person who isn't blind, which is why I prefer tabletop sinse there I can rp who and whatever I want.

2014-10-03 13:36:21

@Lauren, it's great to see you're still around. I've not been on Swamp much myself lately but your absence is noted. I was at RNIB New College Worcester for a couple of years back in the early 90s. I went on to mainstream school, which worked better for me, but I seem to remember having fun and making good friends in Worcester.

@Tward, commiserations on your divorce. Mine only came through a month or so ago. I was lucky because there was no property to sort out and no children to worry about but even that took like 6 months. Just hang in there is all I can say.

Last weekend I went to visit family in Hastings. I bought a replica flintlock pistol which is really fun for sound effects and prancing around my house alone pretending to be a highway man. Yep, I have a full and hectic schedule!

I'm also trying to find a new job. My current one runs out in December and I'm not sure what I want to do next as a career.

I really enjoy the Big Finish Dr Who stories. The sound quality is excellent and they can do so much more inventive stuff with the aliens when all it takes is a splodgy sound effect or two. I also like how they're being innovative with sound as well and aren't afraid to let the sound effects tell the stories. Some of my favourite episodes are Winter of the Adept and Land of the Dead, both with the 5th doctor and Nisa; one with the 7th doctor and Ace where they defeat creatures called 'The Scourge' during a cross stitch conference in a hotel; and a wonderful episode called the Apocalypse Element which has a proper battle between Timelords and Daleks.

Thumbs up