2014-09-28 06:04:23

Having performance issues with my computer... wondering if anyone can help. Right now itsays that 47% of my cpu is being used and 55% of physical memory. I have currently 74 processes running... it's nuts! My computer works fine until I try and run any high performance programs such as games and the like. I've ended all the processes I'm sure of, but don't want to touch anything wrong in case I screw something up. Running msconfig only 10 or so processes and programs are supposed to start up... all the essentials like JAWS, Skype, dropbox. Anyone got any ideas on how to clean things up and speed this thing back up? Didn't used to have this problem... this computer is normally pretty good and can run games like Street Fighter x Tekken, Naruto, and others without a glitch. Not so now though, and I'm not even sure where so many processes are coming from. Any help at all would be appreciated as well as any solutions to the problem!

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-09-28 10:06:44

Hi, try to clean unnesesarry files. download c cleaner and clean with it, then run disk cleaner and have a go with it. Defrag your disk. And sometimes go to programs and features and check if you have unnesesarry programs. Those are I can offer. Hope some of them can help.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-09-28 10:42:15

I would go into the task manager's processes page and sort that by CPU usage, see what's at the top. You should also try running with nvda instead of jaws to see if this improves performance any (NVDA has a resource monitor addon which should let you figure that out easily enough). Dropbox could be using a lot of processing power as well if it's busy indexing, but not when it's idle. Skype is known for using a lot of ram but it shouldn't hit your CPU so hard. If you have an antivirus of some kind, it might be running scans or maybe it's just pourly optimized so its resident protection is very CPU intensive. Also make sure that you don't have web pages open that have a lot of things going on, mainly flash. If you use Internet Explorer, try using Firefox (I was using about 5% CPU when writing this post, and I just launched IE to see how much it would impact the system, CPU went up to 50% usage with IE using most of it). While we're on the topic of web browsers, check if you haven't accidentally installed junk into them, things like the ask or conduit toolbars, those won't help much big_smile
Does this happen immediatelly after you start your system or does it boot up in a more normal state? If it does, then try to monitor it, start launching programs that you use regularly and see when the problems start.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-09-28 12:31:55 (edited by cx2 2014-09-28 12:33:39)

Writing this post with Jaws and IE on Win 7 I've got 80 processes so that isn't unusual in itself, but 0% CPU usage and 11% memory. That being said I don't run Skype in the background and I don't use dropbox, plus I use NOD32 for my antivirus which is very well optimised.

If you minimise the task manager it sits in the system tray and will indicate how much CPU time is being used in case that helps. I agree with what was said above, sort the processes by CPU usage and see what comes out at the top. Even using IE shouldn't use that much power unless you had a flash intensive page open.how much

CCleaner is a great piece of software which I use myself but it doesn't directly impact CPU and memory usage so I think only it's startup list will help here. Most of what it does to improve performance is to generally help Windows not need to put as much effort in to find registry entries and so on.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-28 16:49:56

Hi, how do we change the sorting in the task manager?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-09-28 17:08:56

Thanks all. I'm not quite sure when the problems usually start, but once my computer starts and everything runs it starts at usuall around 30% or so. I think I have a lot of crap running that doesn't need to be there... background services and the like. I'm just not sure which ones I can safely turn off without blowing up my house. JK I think AVG is taking up a lot of power as well. The problem with resource monitors is that it tells me stuff I already know from speccy and the task manager performance tab. Just not what to do about it. lol

2014-09-28 17:28:33

If you haven't already, make sure you uninstall any bloatware from the manufacturer. For example, if it's an HP machine, you would uninstall anything that says HP lol. If your running windows 8.1, make sure to get rid of any apps you don't need, you never know what could be running in the background and hogging resources.

2014-09-28 18:12:19

How badly do you want to clean things up and the like? I ask, because sometimes reinstalling windows helps. I don't know where it is in windows 8, but in seven, you can go to the start up section of your all programs menu and remove anything you don't want to start up windows start. Another good place to check is services.msc. When you bring up services.msc, make sure that the stuff you don't want to run isn't set to start at any time. The only other place I would check is the msconfig thing in windows. When you bring up msconfig, there is an startup tab, or at least as far as I know. Anyway, once you bring this up, uncheck anything you know shouldn't be running. I will follow this up by saying, do your research before going into msconfig or services.msc. Shut off the wrong thing, and you might find yourself up a river without away down again. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-09-28 18:31:21

It's a custom built computer so there isn't any bloatware, thankfully. I do need to research what is safe to turn off in services.msc and msconfig since I've run both. I haven't gone beyond reinstalling windows... but that would mean reformatting and taking time to back up all my crap. sigh. But it might just come to that. lol

2014-09-28 18:42:53

Services are a good place to start.  Disk defrag and cleanup probably won't lower processes; I can think of no circumstance in which they would.
Now, here's a thing.  People place a lot of stock in the CPU percentage and task manager, but there's a couple things that are bad about that.  Firstly, task manager may not be updating continuously, so pressing f5 is important.  Or checking view->update speed.
Secondly, that percentage lies.  Really.  The CPU percent is a sort of snapshot of a short period of time, so it's possible that you're seeing spikes.  The statistic to look at is called CPU time.  It can be seen in task manager.  Do view->select columns and check it.  This is an approximate amount of time that the process has been using the CPU.  It's probably a better thing to sort by when looking for problems.  The percent changes depending on when task manager updates, but the CPU time doesn't even require task manager to be open.
Also, if you're using Jaws, look for fssynth32.exe.  it's possible (as in I used to have a hotkey that ran a script to fix it and used to use it 3 or 4 times a day) that jaws is starting up too many and not closing old ones.  Sometimes, when Jaws crashes or restarts, it leaves them behind.  They shouldn't take up much CPU/RAM, but I've never checked to be sure and I've always had an above-average computer.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-09-28 20:37:02

hi,
I also have alot of driver processes starting up on my pc
fortunatly my pc didn't come with a operating system so I just installed windows and went to the toshiba site to selectively download only the drivers and utilities I might need
I researched and disabled alot of the driver processes on startup
i'm pasting the startup items I still have 
I ggot this list from ccleaner
I would appriciate it if someone who knows about these processes could tell me what is safe to turn off
Yes    HKLM:Run    1.TPUReg    TOSHIBA    "C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\PasswordUtility\readLM.exe"
Yes    HKLM:Run    AvastUI.exe    AVAST Software    "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
Yes    HKLM:Run    Classic Start Menu    IvoSoft    "C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -autorun
No    HKLM:Run    HotKeysCmds    Intel Corporation    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe"
No    HKLM:Run    IgfxTray    Intel Corporation    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe"
No    HKLM:Run    NvBackend    NVIDIA Corporation    "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe"
Yes    HKLM:Run    Persistence    Intel Corporation    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe"
No    HKLM:Run    TCrdMain    TOSHIBA Corporation    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Hotkey\TCrdMain_Win8.exe
Yes    HKLM:Run    TecoResident    TOSHIBA Corporation    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Teco\TecoResident.exe
Yes    HKLM:Run    TSSSrv    TOSHIBA Corporation    C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\System Setting\TSSSrv.exe

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-09-28 22:20:21

So mostly, turning stuff off at startup isn't going to help.  It will some, but the important question is which things are using stuff over a long period of time.  There's no guarantee that it's not being fired up by something else later and if they all just go idle after start-up, then why kill them?  You're going to have to do your own research; I will not ever give advice on disabling specific processes, drivers, or services.  It's not a safe thing to do and if you aren't able to do your research then don't touch it.  If there is any question whatsoever as to whether you want to turn it off, the answer is that you don't.  because you can find yourself in situations where you can't fix it, at least not without competent sighted help at the least.
But in this case, that's already a really tiny list anyway, and there's probably not much more you can get rid of.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-09-29 00:54:04

Hi.
To be honest I disabled all Toshiba stuff as I didn't need it running all the time
persistence doesn't need to be on though ians.
On that note
I wouldn't touch windows services, yes I know that turning some of these off may help but to be honest the last time I did this on an old box windows went unstable and I had to reformat.
I wouldn't touch windows services or registry or anything because windows just uses that stuff weirdly.
I suggest using ccleaner.
I also suggest not running Skype or dropbox at startup or jaws for that matter.
I have nvda running at startup and msse and that's about it.
Skype is a hog even for those that can see my cousin had issues with his i7 locking up at startup or slowing down a lot.
it was Skype being loaded at startup.
Using ccleaner, defrags, etc should increase performance.
upgrading all drivers, and also clearing unneeded programs should help.
especially any windows live software.
yes I know those of you on win8 have to live with it but if you have any extra live packs essentuals and other junk loaded get rid of it.
I wouldn't go killing all the programs that come with your laptop everything hp is not bad, like everything Toshiba is not all bloat with no use.
wild tangent games may be splashtop remote is inaccessible, also remove clickfree and Norton everything and all their customised adobe software because that's outdated by default.
To be honest, if you are that set on  making sure you are really performing ok, do the following.
reformat and install windows 7 or whatever you want to use.
install the following drivers.
usb graphics, sound, network, lan wireless and that's all you need for your basic system.
intel NVidia etc have driver updates but to be honest if you don't want or need an NVidia card pull it out, and use the crappy intel one on the board.
I am supprised no one has mentioned before pcpitstop.com though.
the free tests on there should tell you what you need to do.
Note though that its fragmentation, cpu usage and memory/ driver errors are to sensitive.
its main wish is for you to install their software and other junk.
I am not sure about the access to that software but still.
I use the tests to find any hardware errors which it will give you freely.
Next try to reflash your bios or update it this may help you.
Finally if things don't work well much pull the battry on the bios if you can and leave it out for 5 minutes and put it back and see.
In msconfig boot advanced, check number of processers, and change that to the max you have, this will cause windows to use all cpu power at startup it only uses 1 otherwise.
You may get a little performance.
With sighted help in bios, if you have enough ram boost to max all buffers and memory shared devices  if you must use a high end videocard get a radion unit.
I have one, and while its driver is good and yes while you have to get rid of a lot of bloat at startup its quite stable.
More so than the NVidia stuff I used and more than the intel cards I used.
It also does help that amd units boards in particular come with the card, and if you get an amd card you will get hdmi audio with that to.
As for other things, anything that says via on it sucks I have an i3 with via chipsets and as well as the interfaces being inaccessible, and such they are bloated and do not perform well.
Realtech is in a lot of things fortunately and it performs well.
To be honest though, if you really want performance and don't ned highend features then running the crappy ms drivers will probably be fine.
I never do but if you don't care you can do that.
The other thing I'd do is get speedfan and install it, there is a smart info page for disks and other things.
you want to perform an online test, this will tell you if any errors are up and other things.
Over that, who knows.
I have a system that reboots randomly, but according to my diagnostics its within the norms and its fully optimised.

2014-09-29 08:27:00

hi,
I did do some research on the driver processes
I disabled the ones that I found info on
card reader, intel hkcmd, intel and nvidia graphics tray icons etc
I recommend the bleepingcomputer startup database
crashmaster, you said that persistence shouldn't be on
what does  persistence do exactly?
in adition to the processes I posted, I have 5 intel services, 1 atheros bluetooth service, 5-6 nvidia services, synaptics touchpad enhancements, 1 idt audio service, 1 dts audio service and 1 toshiba eco utility service
"

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2014-09-29 09:37:27

Given the games mentioned previously I really wouldn't recommend removing the NVidia card for the Intel one. Also I'll stress this again, CCleaner and defrags won't cut the resting CPU and memory usage figures. They will improve general performance but not solve the issues mentioned in this topic.

I also wish to add it can be well worth installing drivers from your mobo manufacturer for chipsets including the drive controller ones, these can optimise your drive performance somewhat.

Also be very, very careful flashing the bios. Since this system had no issues previously I don't anticipate this solving the problem either but I won't say don't reflash ever, just be very cautious when you do because you can wreck your motherboard if it goes wrong. Make sure your sighted assistance has some idea of what they're doing as well if at all possible.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-29 12:26:08

@assault_freak

I think you can disable a lot of services without trouble, but don't disable Windows Audio and Plug and play.

These are necessary for the sound card and recognition of plug and play devices.

If I remember correctly, you can disable services by running msconfig.

It's really mindboggling how many services are enabled by default by Windows.

If you want to take a deeper peek, download Hijackthis and see how much is hidden from the ordinary user.

There are more services than those shown by services.msc and a lot of IE browser extensions are really unnecessary.

m

2014-09-29 18:21:57 (edited by seb 2014-09-29 18:22:32)

A good site I found was
http://www.blackviper.com/
The guy is basically telling what services aren't necessary and is giving good tips on disabling a lot of them