2014-10-05 12:32:20

Well damn, my Torchwood DVDs came this morning and I can't find the audio description. Probably because I decided to splurge on the series 1 to 4 boxed set. I had a feeling I should have double checked, damn damn damn.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-05 14:53:14

Hi,
A slight bit of heads up/moderation/reminder:
@cx2 please remember to use a spoiler warning for those who might not have seen the doctor who episode yet. Luckily, I had already seen it but you actually gave away pretty much the hole plot of that episode without putting so much as a spoiler warning.
Just a friendly reminder.

2014-10-05 15:11:12

Doh, sorry. I hadn't thought of that, I was just peeved off with the poor quality.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-10-06 14:36:53

To be honest I stopped reading at the phrase "massive spoiler warning" which was enough for me who hasn't seen the episode yet, although from your "poor quality" comment I'm not holding out much hope.

Sounds like The Moph strikes again!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-06 15:20:41

I've known about "He who Moans" for a while. Another interesting series is the Blind inspiration podcast (or something like that), where two women (one sighted, one blind) review the modern doctor who episodes.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-10-06 16:19:12

Can you get the link to that one Blindncool? I'm not that bothered about the blindness angle but I'd be interested to see if they have good comments about Doctor who. I use the Doctor who ratings guide which can be Found here however the reviews there are obviously written, but more than that it depends upon who is writing.

I also find that particular site has a lot of people who pretty much bash everything that doesn't star Tom Baker! which is  not good. Indeed I confess T Baker isn't one of my favourite doctors,although I've got nothing strongly   against him and I do really like Leela, and he had some good stories.

I can actually think of stories I liked from every period in Doctor who history, although i confess the Moph is stretching that rather a lot, one reason I no longer collect the series on dvd but own all of the new series with Ecleston and Tenant, plus collect the Bf audios and what classic episodes I can.

Btw, Cx2, annoyingly if I remember rightly Torchwood season 1 doesn't have talking menus. I got the audio description working using my usual highlighting counting, but obviously that won't help if you can't see the menu.

If however you get completely stuck,  detailed synopses can be found Here  It's the torchwood page from the Doctor  who reference guide ( a different site from the ratings guide despite the similar name).

they're a bit behind, especially with the audios and novels, but are complete up to around 2011,  including the entire classic series, plus most of the modern series, novels, commics, audios and just about everything else.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-10-06 22:03:40

Dark, unfortunately the spoiler warning was a later edit prompted by Aaron. I'm glad it was in time to save you from the spoilerage.

Regarding the DVDs, I played it on my Mac and the software identified a second audio track but unfortunately this proved to be commentary rather than audio description. I might fiddle around some more and see what I can find but I know there have been several cases where a series set includes description but a boxed set of multiple series doesn't.

cx2
-----

2014-10-06 23:37:19

That could be irritating! I bought all my torchwood separately, so it worked out okay. Actually I admit I can't remember if Torchwood season 1 had audio description upon initial  broadcast, I actualy don't think it did. Season  2 onwards did,  but I'm not sure about season 1, so it is possible the dvds don't, though you might want to check the audio tracks of the other  seasons just to make sure.

I hope you get it fixed one way or another. One of the things the horrors of Moph has done is just make me appreciate Russel T davies all the more. While I don't think he's God the way some people do and I do have my  reservations with some of his stuff, ---- particularly some of his rather  rushed season finales, the over the top torchwood season 1 and a couple oflogical holes, I do think he settled in to get right more than he got wrong over all, I certainly don't agree with  Stewart from He  who Mones that Russel was an evil corporate sellout, even though he did give in to chease on occasion and some of his character decisions were questionable, ---- still better   characterization that  is sometimes a little too obvious than no characterization at all, or still worse characterization that makes your characters just look shallow.

What I actually said previously about good episodes from each series, I do struggle to think of eleventh doctor stories I really liked. Perhaps the Silurian reintroduction, The  flesh and stone episode with the gangers, the Doctor's wife episode Niel Gayman (despite the fact Gayman's episode last series nightmare in silver rather fell flat), and possibly God complex with the sentient building.

That probably is all I can think of and in each case it was more the environment that I liked than  the plot surrounding the Doctor  or his assistants, indeed even though both almost people and The silurian episodes had plot developments, I largely forgot about both and had  switched off when the Moph wanted to do his "and coming next week! a dramatic camera angle of Amy pond's baby that will bring up yet more questions that will never be answered ever!!"

I confess I'm probably feeling a little harsher towards the Moph sinse the next Bf audio I have to listen to is the very very very! awsome eighth doctor story  Invaders from Mars, which features the eighth doctor in 1930's chicago first playing at being a private I, then foiling an alien invasion by using the Orsen wells  War of the Worlds broadcast to convince the Aliens that the earth was  already under the control of the  mighty  martians! 

And what is my next  episode of new who to compete with such a fascinating premise? Clara and Danny pink flirt with each other around a school while the Doctor is totally useless as a care taker, and there may or may not be an alien (though I'm guessing not, or at least not much of one).

2014-10-07 10:42:35

Well I'm presently comparing Kill the Moon with the just broadcast eighth doctor's Resurrection of Mars, there really isn't a comparison to be made. Resurrection of Mars beats it hands down.

cx2
-----

2014-10-07 11:03:49

Yep, resurrection was a nice  one particularly the moral dilemmas from the Monk. Actually I like the way the Monk evolved to a much more morally ambiguous character in the 8th doctor series, rather than someone particularly evil.

He has the honour of being the first ever timelord other than the Doctor  seen in Doctor who, indeed even his name comes from his first episode introduction "the meddling monk" When the first doctor first encounters  him he's more mischievious than actually evil, trying to stop the viking invasion of Britain just for the heck of it. Later he teams up with the Daleks to hunt down the Doctor, but it seems reasonable sinse if I'd! been left in 10th century Britain with a broken tardis I'd probably have been a bit narked too.

Of course the truly evil power seaking timelord thing was done by theMaster later and the Monk got sort of left behind, so it's nice that the 8th doctor Stories managed to really cement his character as someone who's got very much his own way of doing things and own morality like the Doctor but someone who clashes with the Doctor on occasion.

I also like the fact the Ice warrior mythos really gets a solid story in Big Finish, indeed i remember the ice warrior stories of the 8th doctor range did reference several things from previous bf stories, such as the very good "Red dawn" that I have just heard recently, which was nice.

In general I'm afraid the 4th season of new 8th doctor stories will always for me be a little overshadowed by it's truly awsome ending, which has to be one of the best moments in recent Who, and again no contest when compared to any of the Moph's   nonsensical time reversing finale efforts.

2014-10-08 15:47:05

Well just seen the Caretaker and Kill the moon, so dire and evil spoilage ahoy for those who haven't seen those episodes, read on at your own peril lest your viewing be spoiled by the spoilers!.

caretaker was actually not as bad as I expected from the He who mones review, while I agree with Stewart, why the hell would the doctor be so bad at fitting in with humans after he's spent the last thousand or so years with them, at least the Doctor existed as more than a commic foil for Clara here, I really disliked all the occasions Clara basically told the doctor off in this episode! it made him look like an idiot.

Clara and Danny I really didn't get as a couple at the start sinse their dialogue is so forceably witty and doesn't really seem to have much behind it,and Clara's "I love him" just came out of left field, however Danny did surprise me here. Rather than coming across as a moron I really liked his reaction to the Tardis, Clara's lame excuse and I surprisingly liked the way he stood up to the Doctor and actually characterized how stupid the Doctor's hatred of soldiers really was, despite the fact that this was yet more "oooh look, the Doctor is really stupid" type of characterization.

The thing that got rreally up my nose here was the ending. Danny summersaults over the random robot's head and distracts it. With the fact the only thing we knew about the robot was that it was a soldier from some war or other and the hole thing about soldiers, I was expecting Sergeant danny to turn around and start shouting parade ground orders at the thing and it obey because it recognized him as a soldier, ---- that would've really hit the theme of the episode, and perhaps put this irrational business of the Doctor's to rest, but no!

The business with Courtney I can't say much about, I likeed the Doctor's streight forward interactions with her, very nice and not pandering, but it just seemed to go no where really in that story and she just seemed to be there to tick the teenager box, And The hole thing with Clara going off with the Doctor during the day and coming back to Danny? really, this is getting old, micky, Rory, now Danny, what is it with new who and actually having compitant men in the Tardis! especially given this series habbit of basically showing the Doctor as an overgrown schoolboy who needs his teacher with him to keep him in order!

Over all Caretaker wasn't quite as dreadful as I thought, and I do surprisingly see a point to Danny Pink now even though Clara is sort of getting on my nurves more.

Regarding Kill the moon,  to be honest Cx2 I actually didn't mind the "moon is an egg" plotline, sinse basically it was the only major idea in the episode and was actually given room to breathe. Yes, it's a big sf idea, and it wasn't adequately explained but at least the ramifications were dealt with, problems for earthwith the tides etc, rather than what I expected after that point which was that the thing's parent species would show up, there would be a huge upping of stakes for no reason, more monsters and running around etc. I therefore give the episode credit on just having one screwy idea, which actually did serve a point, oh and I think the spider germ things actually did! kill people, sound the trumpets!

I didn't mind Courtney too much for some of it, I loved the teenaged winjing about being special to which the Doctor responded with "well you can be the first woman on the moon!" and I loved the bit where she said quite honestly "I want to go home"

I didn't buy her after that point, she was supposed to have been traumatized from just being almost killed yet instantly starts complaining about being board and playing with Tumblr! Honestly, if you locked me in the Tardis console room "Board" is the last thing I'd be big_smile

I also really didn't like the "woman kind makes the decision" line, this seemed pretty telling of Moph's thinking in a really nasty way, as did the "oooh lets have a democratic vote but then ignore it entirely!" if your going to have someone else make the decision, why the hell vote? The turning off of lights across earth was a nice metaphore, but come on! Again, the implications of this one are really rather disturbing if you think about it.

That being said I did think the "make humanity look up and considder space exploration" was a nice social comment, even though it was a bit throwaway and we could've done more on that one.

The thing that really! however annoyed me about Kill the moon, more than Courtney, more than the moon being a creature, more than the "ooooh how convenient instantly another egg to be the moon" plot was the end!

So the Doctor trusts  clara to make the decision, and turns out to be right, and recognized Courtney as a future president, and Clara throws a Hissy fit! For God's sake! So the semi immortal thousand year old timelord is actually right for once and miss perfect throws a wobler?

The 7th doctor manipulated his companion into blowing up an alien ship, and then followed by making her lose belief in him, the first doctor actually plotted murder when the Tardis was in a jam, the tenth doctor walked away from people whom history was supposed to see die then turned around and insisted on being arrogant enough to change it.

Lots of times the Doctor has been right at the expense of those around him, but nobody has responded by giving him a "I'm very disabppointed in you doctor, your a really naughty boy and you've let me down" speech before storming out of the TArdis!

I'm now starting to really dislike Clara, yes, the companion should be a strong character, should have their own will and do things on their own, should even disagree with the Doctor on occasion, but heck, the name of the program is Doctor who! not "te Clara show!"

The Doctor has to be right sometimes, and even when he's wrong there has to be at least some respect for the character and why he's wrong. This is why I'm a fan of the sixth doctor, who probably has one of the worst personalities, but has a genuinely nice core under that which comes out occasionally, and will always try to do the right thing even if it means going against his companion.

2014-10-08 19:21:03

I still don't get the whole "Doctor hates soldiers" thing. Yes things might have happened in the time war that changed his opinion but it still feels rather too prejudgemental for someone of the Doctor's experience. He's seen humanity at its worst and at its best, he should be better than to fit someone into a neat little box like that.

cx2
-----

2014-10-08 20:24:39

Well even if it was the time war, it's rather weerd and all too late given that the Moph retconed the time ar because oooh will someone please think of tthee children! (sorry but that plot point really gets up my nose given how much prominance the Time war had in the new series).

I also have never seen this tendency before the twelth doctor either, sinse doctors 9-11 encoutnered plenty of soldiers, and only tended to object to the ones who were actually doing bad stuff like Torchwood 1 or the humans and Hath having their clone war in The Doctor's daughter. Hell, in Mophat's own episode "A good man goes to war" the main theme as far as I could work it out was that the doctor was supposedly going to war against the headless monks or whoever and inlisting everyone from the series as his army, ---- or something! So, what the hell?

I've got a nasty suspicion that it's related to that comment you saw about the young Doctor not wanting to join the army on Galifrey, ---- which is just wrong on so many levels!

Indeed if we go meta a for a second here, I wonder if the Moph, or the bbc has some sort of political agenda here, sinse in the last few series we've seen the Doctor go to war, and there was all that stuff about "demons runs when a good man goes to war" or whatever, work for the British airforce, and now we have a companion who's supposedly been inAfganistan and has killed people, and is making out to have been a social outcast because people don't like soldiers.

I bet even the time war will play into this with the recognition that the Doctor in retconing Galifrey's destruction actually destroyed the Daleks and insured victory, this combined with the "three women over ride democracy" message from Kill the moon is politically heading into a very sticky wicket, especially for the Doctor who has always been an absolute libertarian and against tyrrany whether economic, political or religious.

Of course I could be reading too much into this and it might just be a bad writer plucking themes out of the air and sticking them together irrispective of whether they fit or not and trying to embue them with a false sort of gravitas in place of actual character development.

After all it wouldn't be the first time something gets pulled into New who just because the show runner thought it was a good theme, like russel T Davies the Atheist deciding to suddenly make the Daleks have a religion and start spouting off about blasphemy for no reason, something which really didn't sit well with their usual modus operandi of species hatred, ---- not one of Russel's cleverer decisions.

2014-10-09 08:49:22

The Dalek religion didn't fit I agree but I figured it was some kind of conditioning by Davros to prevent the Daleks from turning on him again.

The weird bit is the Doctor was willing to consider the possibility of a good Dalek but not a good man being a soldier. I didn't really like the bit where the Dalek told the Doctor that he was a good Dalek.

cx2
-----

2014-10-09 09:43:04

I agree with the He who mones review on the good dalek bit in Into the Dalek, that it was essentially just retreading old ground from the Ecleston story "dalek" and by repeating the lessons there it didn't really accomplish much.

In the Episode Dalek from season 1, the Doctor is presented with the possibility that a Dalek might change and become good, he is then told in "parting of the ways" by the emperor "you would make a good Dalek" which works at the time sinse the Doctor is given the choice to destroy all Daleks and humans, but refrains from doing it, ---- a nice character arc back to the time war (which of course only works if the Time war happened, but hay). This is why in evolution of the Daleks the tenth doctor actually is! prepared to  entertain the possibility that the Daleks might evolve. While I didn't think the Evolution of the Daleks two parter was one of Russel's best moments, and I really wish the humanoid daleks had hung around at the end, at least it did show that the Doctor had moved on.

yet, in Into the Dalek, the Doctor is once again back to his season one attitude of all daleks are vilve for some reason, forgetting  all the character development previously, indeed Into the Dalek basically functions as a poor copy of the episode Dalek.

I also agreed with stewart on he who mones that given that the supposedly good dalek in into the Dalek wanted to kill all daleks, there is a really serious inconsistancy here, indeed for me the "All daleks must die!" from the so called good dalek really didn't do it, a far cry from the childish and lets say it, cute! daleks infected with the human factor of Evil of the Daleks playing trains and making jokes, hearing an entire squad of daleks chanting like kids in a playground "dizzy, dizzy, dizzy daleks!" is just awsome!

Btw, this reminds me of a very disturbing toy I saw last year, a cuddly toy Dalek in dark purple which had a button to press to say the line "you would make a good dalek!" actually the line from Parting of the ways. I liked this for the disturbing implications of it, but really what child would sit in bed at night and want to be told they'd be a good dalek?

Again, if you want to examine dalek motivation properly the audios do it  especially well, particularly the Dalek empire series, I Davros and the story Jubalee.

Jubalee even has a Dalek coming to the conclusion that all Daleks need to be destroyed, but the way it comes to this conclusion and the logic involved is fantastic.

2014-10-11 12:06:55

Well he who Moans has finally had a crack at kill the moon which you can Go here to find

I won't even say what stewart thought of this episode sinse the way he expresses his opinions is absolutely hilariouus! easily one of the funniest podcasts of the series, as well as having some great things to say about writing technique, ---- oh, and his comments about the "coming next week" trailer are very funny as well.

2014-10-11 21:41:40

I have to agree with him on two points. Now he mentions it I think I could have enjoyed Kill the Moon if it had time to actually build suspense and develop the story at a steady pace. Secondly this is the episode which makes me so tempted not to bother with future episodes, I lapsed for a long time midway through David Tenant and I feel like I'm heading that way again only much faster.

Also now that he mentions it I am questioning how much screen time is given to the school.

cx2
-----

2014-10-12 00:16:41

I agree on both points, although lack of tention is almost a given in new who these days, and for me the main irritation as I said was Clara telling The Doctor off in such a really irritating way just because the man happens to have been right. Really given his huge dark scotish git persona, Capaldi is sort of turning the twelth doctor into a real prat, or maybe it's just Moffat writing yet more of the clara show.

I also really liked Stewart's comment on realistic dialogue, indeed reading that sort of comment makes me want to get back to my own writing, sinse hay I can't do a worse job of dialogue than the Moff can I? big_smile./

2014-10-12 01:35:16

Hi,
Not sure if you guys are watching these described. If you are, you'd realize that Moffet isn't writing all of the episodes.
Now, a non-spoiler look at this week's episode, Mummy on the Orient Express. Well, I'll take a crack at it anyway.
It was quite detectivish. The music was quite good, sound design was OK, not the best but not the worst. I enjoyed it overall, accept for one thing, the resolution. I can't say much without giving it away so I can just say one thing, anticlimactic. Seriously. I actually felt just a little bit disappointed, only a little. I expected slightly better.
The next episode will be next Saturday in the UK at 8:25 and will be called Flatline.

2014-10-12 02:29:58

Well, I'm about to start looking up the big finish stuff, my question is as there is so much of it, what would you recommend? Do I just start from the monthly's, go through all of them and possibly branch off after?  I realise that buying all of them alone will cost somewhere in the region of 400 pounds so that will no doubt take me a fair while. big_smile
I'm just in dyer need of better writing/plot at the moment it's not even funny.   Especially as I'm going over some of the matt smith stuff I missed which happens to contain some of the most convoluted ridiculous... well, name of the doctor is in amongst that so I think you get my point. tongue

2014-10-12 03:30:17

@Aaron, yep, I'm watching them with description, however I put much of the blaime for the series on Moffat sinse A, as show runner he has ultimate control over what he wants in episodes, for example the cole hill school bits and wangling with the Doctor's past, and B, because generally speaking very few guest writers have had enough of an impact on the series sinse Mat smith started, indeed the He Who Moans podcast made that very point about GAreth Robberts, heck for most of the episodes Steven Moffat is still credited as co writer.

The only really stand out episode for me that obviously did not have anything to do with Moffat was Niel Gayman's The Doctor's Wife, which felt pure Gayman, sadly though by the time of Nightmare in Silver Gayman was beaten into submission by his Moffasty, ---- either that or he really lost his touch, and I doubt that.

I'll watch the Orient Expres later this week, I'm expecting at least some fun in space and hopefully with Clara storming off maybe the Doctor will be allowed to get out from under her thumb for once and actually be Doctorish on his own, btw, is it me, or for all the yelling about "I am the doctor fear my wrath and run away aliens when i tell you", the Moffat seems really afraid to actually have the Doctor do! anything to resolve the plot? Much less in anything like a coherent manner.

@Dan, The less said about the Moffat era the better, however the Big Finish stories are for me the best of Doctor who, and what Doctor wWho should be. Of course they vary in quality, but even the very worst Bf stuff is miles better than what is currently on tv.

I'd personally recommend starting with the monthly range, sinse that is the main Doctor who series, and yes, it is good to start at the beginning. While the stories aren't as serious about over riding plot and are stand alone for the most part, there are still call backs to past events and a few out and out series ongoing plots, plus if you start at the beginning you get to see the introduction of all the new Bf assistants, most of whom have been great.

If you know anything about Doctor Who I'd recommend starting with the first, The Sirens of time, doctors 5, 6 and 7 in a big and very awsome plot with time shenanigans. it's only an average story in bf terms, but has so many good ideas it's just a really nice explosive start. Phantasmagoria, the second monthly story is completely awsome, the fifth Doctor and Nissa in 17th century England at the Hell fire club. Lots of good stuff including a really awsome villain, ghosts, disappearing gamblers, mysterious highwaymen, and an sf plot that all tie together really well.

I'm just listening to the first few monthlys again at the moment (I've just now finished number 28, invaders from Mars), and the quality is astounding!

So, definitely start with the mmonthly adventures.

After that, the New 8th doctor stories and the Dark eyes box sets (which are effectively New 8th doctor seasons five onwards), are worth a listen sinse they carry on directly with the 8th doctor's story from where he and Charley part company in the monthly adventures, though sinse that only happens in story 110 you've got a ways to go.

The companion chronicles are also good and have a couple of tie ins to the monthly stories though aren't as necessary, but are awsome for hearing stories with the first three Doctors, and of course the fourth doctor adventures are good if you like Tom Baker and Leela.

I Davros, Dalek Empire and Cybermen, the three spinoff series about the Doctor's various enemies without the Doctor are some of my favourites, especially I Davros, me being a big Davros fan (I've even met Terry moloy), and they're great if you really want to considder the motivations of The Daleks or the Cybermen.

I'd definitely start with the monthly's though, although each of the Spinoffs or specials have their own charm, mostly because when creating them Bf tend to try to do something different from Doctor who although connected to the whoniverse, for example morally ambiguous time meddling in Graceless, politics in Unit, or spy thrillers in countermeasures.

The only thing from Bf's who range I've personally really disliked are the Bernese Summerfield stories, sinse these rely so heavily on the novels it's realy hard to say what is going on, indeed there are even auydio stories that are direct sequels to Doctor who books and make little sense without. I'm told the more recent Bernese stuff is much more stand alone and far better, and even explains some of the confusions of the previous plot, but I've never managed to plough through all the previous stories to get to those even though I do own them all, though admitedly given that Reever was severely ill when i was listening to the first few Bernese Summerfield stories that probably didn't help much.

Oh and yes, I'm a realy extremem! Whovian, and for all I winj about Moffat I do absolutely love Doctor Who, I've seen a good proportion of the Classic episodes, some several times, and am a major bf fan as you can tell.

2014-10-12 09:01:17

I'll try not to spoil but I'm sorry to say Dark you'll be disappointed.

Without giving too much away I don't think Orient was too bad, I only ended up watching it for lack of anything better to do and it was certainly better than Kill the Moon. The adversary was a nice throwback to classic Who's sensibilities though still lacking in tension with a small number of people actually dieing, and the resolution of the adversary was satisfactory even though the overall conclusion was meh. If the episode doesn't have a follow up at some point to tie up loose ends it would be a very unsatisfactory ending indeed.

cx2
-----

2014-10-12 09:24:12

I think Moffat is allergic to tying up loose ends big_smile.

It's interesting that  the Divergent universe arc in Big Finish is cryticised for a quick resolution, and yet at least it has! a resolution, rather than going "And the Doctor yelled very loudly and the aliens exploded"

I think the description I have read of Moffat being more fond of writing trailers than actual programs is pretty accurate, indeed when watching some of the early mat smith episodes I actually felt like I was watching a fast action replay of a story rather tan the story itself.

In fareness my expectations for Orient express aren't high after Kill the moon, though it'd be nice to actually have an episode that stood out and made some sort of impact on me rather than "oh and there was that one with robin hood which was sort of fun, . It's funny, I could probably name all of the Russel T davies episodes in order right from Rose to End of time, even the bad ones, but with The moff I struggle to actually think of any episode elements that stayed with me at all for even a week, indeed if I probably only remembered the episodes because I was looking at reviews.

2014-10-12 10:04:34

Here's some thoughts for after you see it, spoiler warnings ahoy.

The mummy part was decent enough in itself, the bit about getting all those experts there was a stretch but passable given the ships that had gone missing to this thing. The bit I didn't enjoy was Gus being there to ensure the thing was preserved for study and no one got to tell anyone about it, followed by the Doctor not getting to find out who dragged everyone there. If someone had just set this up to cut down on their insurance premiums or something I'd have probably enjoyed it more but this additional layer of plot over the main plot just spoiled it for me. If it had just been a monster on a spaceship romp I'd have quite liked it probably, that's what made some of the classic Who rather fun frankly.

Not enough tension and too much complication essentially, though the basic premise could have worked pretty well for either new or old Who. Still at least a couple of people died, though we could have stood an extra casualty or two thrown in.

cx2
-----

2014-10-12 19:59:05

I'll check your thoughts when I've seen the thing, though to be honest I have just heard the most amazing! audio.

The Chimes of Midnight, a really good 8th doctor story set around the most creepy edwardian house you could imagine. The sound work was so unbelievable I was genuinely scared even while gnoshing on a chinese, and the ending, ---- well talk about propper emotional reactions, heck I have to now break before going on to the next story sinse I actually feel slight roung out by this one.

I remember thinking it was a good story the first time around, but being a little confused as to why people heap praise on the thing, but second time, ----- yee gods!