2014-09-24 10:56:31

Hi,
It sounds like you two are being bullied of sorts, and this is just unfair.
Sometimes with a show, it's not just about the main show. It's sometimes about the community that springs around it, creating fanfiction, some of it darker than the original material, that makes it appeal to people. People are sometimes more interested in a show's world and it's lore.
Here's an example of how worldbuilding can help, using the new My Little Pony, as that's the thing I've been looking at lately, and again I'm quite surprised at how much of a world there is, so bare with me a little while I try to explain, but I might fail and it might just look very silly:
Equestria seems to be a country or even a continent of sorts, it started out being managed by three princesses but now has four, from the capital of Kanterlot. They all seem to, originally, be Unicorns. If someone achieves something that is considered extraordinary then their reward is to become an Alicorn princess, so they gain wings and, maybe even more powerful magic, thus the fourth princess eventually, but this took a while and the character in question was shocked when it happened, in fact it wasn't even her goal to become a princess.
Sometimes, the princesses just have to do things to make visitors know that they are welcome and such, and for one inparticular this was very boring and frustrating, but of course they have to keep things in check too (more on that later).
Equestria has several cities now. There's the mainstay, Ponyvill, which is where most of the series takes place. This small town has almost always been a part of My Little Pony.
However, there are now several other places.
There's the aforementioned Kanterlot, which is the capital, lots of stuff going on from markets to big events.
There is also Cloudsdale, a city quite literally in the clouds ran by the Pegasus race. They control the weather, so unlike here on Earth, the Pegasus themselves are the ones who cause most of Equestria's storms and rain, to allow the land to have water and such. Unicorns can learn a cloud walking spell if they or their friends wish to visit.
There is the crystal empire, which was once taken over by a villain but it got restored, I don't know much about what it's used for as I have to do some past season catchup.
Lastly, there is the Everfree forest, a place that almost everyone fears, but the more adventurous type will try going in there. Everything is a bit like Earth, plants grow themselves, the weather is forever changing by itself, and there are loads of creatures, some of them very wild and dangerous. Even Hydras are known to live in there, along with dragons and who knows what else.
Equestria isn't without it's dark places. If someone has done something exceptionally evil then they get sent to Tartarus, I'm not entirely sure where it's located though. It's a prison of sorts, but not unbreakable -- a villain once escaped. Thus, the newest princess had to stop him and that's how she discovered her destiny so to speak, and it was a large challenge for her, it was very dangerous.
There are a few characters that people like to create fanfiction about. One of them is Discord, a mishmash of different parts of creatures who can talk and who can bend reality and such, he's rather weird. The other one is Equestria's version of the changeling race, who have only ever appeared in two episodes but have lots of fanfiction written about them, (side note: I should try reading some of that to see what everyone's talking about.)
there's Star Swirl the bearded, someone who hasn't even appeared in the series, but who has been mentioned by Princess Celestia as living a long time ago. Well, people have put that character in their fanfiction.
Lastly and perhaps most intriguing, the fans have created fanfiction for the background characters of the show, and even the creators have said, let the fans create their own adventures for these characters. They didn't even have official names, and now, they are using the fan names on merchandise, but these characters haven't appeared in the show itself yet.
Also, I don't know why but this Pony series is really causing people to get creative, to check their spelling and grammar on things they write and to make sure things will be the best they can be. Why does it have to be Ponies that cause this? I honestly can't answer that question, and I don't know if I ever will be able to, but it seems to be happening that way.
So, in conclusion, instead of a small little town called Ponyvill and that being the end of that, Equestria has now become a place that has people talking about it's world and lore, as detailed as the autobots and decepticons battling it out for a planet called Cybertron, with it's own relics and artifacts and history.

2014-09-24 11:48:43

@Kenzon, a lot of teenagers have a thing about making themselves look better by trying to make other people worse, laughing at them, calling them weak etc, particularly if they're outside the given cleaque. it's scummy but it is part of how some kids that age behave, it has no reflection on you, it just is something more to do with them.

As to what this chap is saying, well  being attracted to men is one thing, coming out and weerding people out or trying to get you used to him talking like that is quite another. I'd actually suggest you try to set up some serious limits on what is and is not okay, and if he doesn't respect those look at talking to a teacher or other person about it. There is no rule that says you have to put up with this sort of thing.

The avatar the last air bender film was a horrible travesty that should be burnt to a crisp with lightning! sinse it managed to destroy everything good about the series, the caracters, the world, the really nice plot and turn it into a really dull action/adventure, ---- heck they couldn't even pronounce the word  avatar correctly, not to mention half of the names (who the heck is general ih ro?), big_smile.

@Cx2, I've got to dash off but hay you just reminded me, trap door is cool! I need to buy it on dvd big_smile

I never liked original power rangers, but not because it was kids, just because it was intensively loud and obnoxious and a lot of things didn't seem to make sense. I can't say much about the other series of it snse obviously if I didn't care for the original I wasn't going to look those up.

I do however really! want to see frozen, sinse I love the idea of a disney with propper songs again and am copmpletely sick of these stupid pixar nonsenses, though that again is another debate.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-09-24 13:23:09

yes. I agree with what everyone around here has said. I'm 19, in college, and think that the movies and stuff is really cool but the stuff your friend is saying has gone... well... a bit too far. Now as far as frozen, that is really cool go watch it. lolts

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2014-09-24 13:27:31

Identity issues come in when people know not in which areas they like the most and why, or what they don't like and why. All they do is conform. I think people should find a blance between rational (good), or emotional (bad). People usually say when you make a decision, it is usually based on your emotions, or on your rationale. I believe that emotions should be made by both emotions and rationale. Creatiivty is a part of your intelligence. I also think that the left and right brains can do the same things, but the left brain is more reliant on language while the right brain relies on images.
To be frank I don't like nor do I partake of any BDSM cultures because they usually involve bondage and slavery, and I think people should be better off if they were all ont he same page.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-24 15:30:12

@Ggf, I agree on  with you on conforming, it's quite depressing. indeed, if I were to pick the route of if not all evil, at least a large percentage I'd say it's human kind's propensity to form into groups and then exclude anyone outside that group.

I disagree on "balancing betwene rational good or emotional bad" sinse frankly7 i  actually think the western idea of separating rationality  and pure logic from emotions is incorrect. it is an idea that goes back as far as aristotle, and the Griek belief in the rational, human soul, the baser animal soul, and the vital plant soul, but the more we learn about the intigration of experience the less this idea really makes much sense.

I also do not agree that intelligence and creativity are directly related to each other, or that you could have creativity without emotion, indeed it's quite noteable how many great artists, mathematicians, musicians and other individuals were both highly emotional and highly rational in equal measures.

That is however not really something to debate in this topic.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-09-24 16:40:48

hey, I know what it's like, even I watch cartoons from time to time

2014-09-24 17:32:03

Well Dark I'm embarrassed about having briefly liked power rangers because it was simply so bad and I never realised it, nothing to do with the target age. I'm not however embarrassed about having liked Knightmare, though when they reran a few episodes some years ago and my sister got to see it for the first time I did cringe a bit at how cheesy the acting was, still it was a good concept and there's not been anything quite like it.

Oh globbits.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-24 17:52:27

I'm over 40 years old, and I basically only watch cartoons.  Things I've watched recently are sealab 2021, aqua teen hunger force, the brak show, archer, naruto, bleach, and my little pony.  Frankly, I find most non-cartoon shows irritating.

2014-09-25 01:44:51

@Aaron: Nicely written... Couldn't have done it better myself. Mainly because I haven't really watched MLP or read much about it, after watching a handful of episodes and it hadn't caught my interest I just decided to let it go... (Yes, Frosen reference... And I haven't watched that either)

I don't quite like the Word 'childish'... Immature sounds much better, especially since adults can act like that as well... And many seem to do, sadly...
As others have said a friendly talk about what's fine to say in public and what's not might be in its place since comments like those you posted are probably going to make people feel just slightly uncomfortable.
It might just be a way for him to get through some tough stuff, if he's gay and people in the area aren't very accepting/open-minded it can be hard.
Regarding fantasies... Nothing's wrong with those in my opinion. Most people have some sort of fantasy I'd say, from the more innocent ones to those that are waaay out there... But it's all fine with me. There are Things about me that a lot of people would find weird and I've had a hard time accepting those. Being different can be hard, and knowing that others would/do judge you for whatever makes you different doesn't make it any easier.
When I hear about something new, even if it freaks me out I try to gather as much information about it as I can to learn more. When I heard that there was a My Little Pony fandom I sat Down and watched a bunch of episodes and videos about it to find out what was so special about it. Turned out that it didn't say me anything, but then I knew.
You might not understand why people act/feel/do the way they do, but having an open mind and accept them can still help, and might possibly make them feel better.
On the other hand, people WHO exposes themselves and shake off others' comments might need some self control. It kinda goes both ways. Some seem to take acceptance for granted though, which isn't the case. By not acting like a d*ck to others they might gain the acceptance they seek. Acceptance and respect seems to be the keywords in whatever I'm trying to say...
This might not make that much sense, I am slightly tired and I tend to write Things as I come up with them without caring about editing it afterwards... Stream of consciousness for the win! ... Or something...

TLDR: No, it's not childish, it's just being immature... And remember to accept and respect other people's views/feelings/you name it.

(This just made me Wonder why people always put their 'too long, didn't read' comment at the end of their post... Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in the beginning, both as a warning for people WHO don't like long posts, but also so the person reading would actually see it? big_smile Just me having weird thoughts Again, excuse me.)

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2014-09-25 05:41:37

My option is not on the list, thus I didn't vote.  :d

You know what?  I'm 26, and I'm a child at heart.  Anyone who has conversed with me knows that this does not mean I cannot carry on an intelligent conversation, or that I haven't the ability to formulate helpful statements and engage people in philosophical debates when I am enjoying nothing else or occupied with matters of great importance.  I write, research, involve myself with mathematics when necessary, pay bills, do chores, and undertake other responsibilities.  do you want to know what else I do?  I take great pride and joy in being able to lighten up every once in a while to raise my voice to a shrill, nearly female level and muster out a long, drawn out, comical, or annoying, depending on who you ask, simple, "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

So yes, certain things are childish, but when you consider that you spend 18 years under your parents roof being a child and the rest of your life being an adult, why can't we be kids a bit in life?  Water parks?  You bet!  Amusement park rides?  Certainly!  Cartoons?  Why not!  Give me a chance to relive my childhood over being an adult any day and, provided that I can take it in a responsible manner, you'd better believe I'm going to.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-09-25 08:22:14

@Nocturnus, I agree, however interestingly nough at music school a few weeks ago I met a counter tenor (a man who sings entirely in falsetto), who was teaching me about voice range intigration and said that it's good for   the health and flexibility of your vocal cords to do a bit of high pitched "wheeeee!" from time to time.

Last week I read books 6-8 of the how to train your dragon series by Cressida Cowell, and they were hilarious, "master! you are so meen,your heart ismade of bogies!" big_smile.

I have seen the first film, and enjoyed it (a film  with some actual character and a very interesting looking world), but in a way I'm sad that they had to age the characters up to be teenagers, ad a random female  character and a romance plot, and  above all missed out on most of the Roald Dahl style craziness from the books!

I did as I said enjoy the film, but in a way the fact that they made a young adult film rather than a kids film was quite disappointing.

@Nocturnus, one interesting fact I've realized recently is that really most of the best parts of my character are those as a child. I had an intensive interest in philosophy, science and just about everything else wen I was 10-12, and still do (I'veben  studdying itfor years), where as the so called "Adult" stuff such as relationships have been an unmitigated disaster in my life and have given me nothing good at all (quite the opposite in fact). If you gave me the choice of which me I'd rather be for all eternity, 10, 20 or myself now at 30, I'd take the first every time, sinse really I'd not miss out on much in either of the other two states.

So suffice it to say, adult hood be buggered!" the only  good thing I can say for growing up is that your finally old enough to appreciate not being a kid big_smile.

@Cx2, nightmare is awsome! I'm just sorry they never produced it on dvd sinse while I've caught the odd  episode and clip it'd be great to see the full whack of it again, I'm actually amazed nobody has ever produced a nightmare audio game. I can't say the acting bothered me sinse I just find the 80's ethos of fantasy it's set in so appealing. There was a point that fantasy became a little  too serious, too rule orientated and over blown, but stuff like the original ff books or the lone wolf series on Project Aon or indeed Nightmare has something amazingly charming about it.

Go into the dungeon, find lots of weerd stuff, magical traps, disgusting monsters (who were of course far more interesting than just multiplicities of goblins), hack or blast them into submission, solve riddles and come out with the treasure!  Yes, it's been done infinite times before, but there was something just quite energetic and fun about how it was done in the 80's that made it particularly awsome.

For example, there is a wonderful section in I believe the  LoneWolf gamebook shadow on the sand when you run to the top of a tower in the Zakhan's palace chased by his many guards and find a conveniently place large, round ceremonial base drumb just above the long spiral staircase up which the hoard of nasty guards are coming.

A friend of mine once said  the choices given for that section should read "Do you want to push the drumb down the stairs or are you a completely miserable git with no sense of style!" big_smile.

2014-09-25 09:09:35

LOL wow, so Nocturnus, what would your choice be? It might not be in the poll but still I want to know.
@Someone who said that non-cartoon things irritates you, that! I agree. A lot of non-cartoons are just about killing, fighting, love, money etc. Those are so boring. (Not that there are no fights in cartoons, its just that I'd rather see superpowers and such in action myself LOL.) I notice that sometimes, I myself am disliking some cartoons and such (Dora the explorer...) because that its just the repeat of something happening over and over. Also some shows are over-exagerating, especially some Chinese ones. What with the ability to fly once you learned Kung Fu, wipe out a person's memories about some things, making a person fly without needing to throw them and without needing to even contact with them, ability to destroy things without contacting with it etc.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-09-25 10:04:21

That I must admit is my problem with a lot of super heroes either in cartoons or films. They're very much a standard thing to a formula  that repeats.

I wouldn't however say myself that I prefer animated or not, particularly sinse in terms of animation in japan and other eastern countries half the programs are animated you thus get animated soap operas, police dramas, horror shows and every other genre, (the idea all Anime are like Dragonball or Bleach is rather incorrect).

The characteristics I like in things may turn up in animated series, or they may not, but it is the essential quality of the writing, characters, the world, the humour etc that I appreciate rather than whether the medium is animated, film, or a novel.

I  do no longer own a tv license, though that is more because  so much on Tv is so called "reality shows" or rubbish about celebrities, and really why should I pay licensing fees to see people being idiots when I can do it for free? Usually if I want to watch something I either buy or borrow it on dvd, as I did with the Avatar series.

2014-09-25 11:31:20

If I had to choose between cartoons and the boring stuff, I'd find the middle ground. All that other stuff have either romance, action, etc, but if they had a more complicated plot, then I'd find something that goes along with my cup of tea. I like Nockturnous's post by the way, so for that I'll give you a thumbs up for it, because it sort of sums up what I said in my pior two posts.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-25 11:48:41

@Kenzon,
I think people are afraid of seeming childish or childlike far too often, but there are parts of a person that never change, attributes of one's character that remain constant throughout life, any of which can seem childish to anyone.  What about anger or bad attitude?  One might call them childish or immature, and yet they might simply be a small part of something deeper, an underlying truth that is hard to get to because it doesn't simply lie just beneath the surface for someone to scratch at, perhaps even accompanied by a neurological or hormonal issue.  Obviously this doesn't make that person's behavior acceptable by society's standards, which is why it is advisable that such things are taken care of.  On the other hand, something as innocent as watching a cartoon or fantasizing when the person in question could be out committing an act of vandalism is preferable to me personally, since they're not hurting anyone.  One could argue as to weather or not that person is using their resources and talents to their full potential and being a productive member of society, and I'd probably come along and tel anyone who wished to argue that point that if they were so bothered by it why it was that they weren't adding their own wait to the productivity bandwagon instead of killing time and oxygen bothering someone else.
it all comes back to this stupid thing we all seem to believe exists called normal.  What is it?  Where does it come from?  How do we acquire it?  None of the above questions are questions we can truly answer, which ends up making normal more of a standard judged differently by over 7 billion people, and that doesn't make anything normal about it.  Because normal can be defined as anything that is not weird to someone else, it can be really weird to you.  I know plenty of families that don't eat together at a table at home, and that seems like an insult to other families to believe that sitting together at a table is what it's all about, the perfect kind of normal, where there are two or three children, a husband and wife who seem happy on the surface, perhaps a pet wandering around off in the background.  Beneath it all there may be a failing marriage no one knows about because the adults have learned to mask it well, while the other family type I spoke of who doesn't eat together regularly is doing fine, because the time they spend together, while not plentiful is more meaningful or is of greater quality and is valued more deeply.
IN essence, neither is normal to anyone else but the people who are living the situation, and that kind of normal is subject to change with the slightest action which can trigger a change of events, at which point a new normal comes around.  What is it going to be?  Who knows?  Maybe an aling grandparent or wayward cousin moved in, or there's a birth or even death in the family and everything turns upside down.  situations like this bring out the best in some people, the worst in others, behaviors any side that believes it is qualified in judging the traits of others might find childish.
What do I think of you and your friends?  You're still young; so am I for that matter, all though be it a young that is slightly ahead of you in years, a number that is honestly meaningless when you really sit down and think about it.  What do I have that you don't?  I have an unrestrained freedom to make any number of choices I so wish to make; I can move away and move back to where I am which I've done, can buy myself anything I want, can stay up from whatever hour I want to whatever hour I want and never sleep if I so choose to without being told that I can't by someone else, can choose not to clean a single stinking thing in life and continue with it all in a stink if I want to because there is very little to stop me until it starts affecting someone else, and that is where this little thing called responsibility comes in.  So many people want freedom without responsibility, a life of no rules with no consequence.  Every action produces a reaction however, and while you can live life in denial it honestly doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you're headed for a mess.  Some of those troubles may clear up in a few days, while others can leave scars into the decades, perhaps centuries depending on who they might have affected that wasn't yourself.
To simplify, be childish; be young.  You'll have plenty of time to be old, certainly more time than you'll ever have as a child, and when it finally comes along you'll wish you were young again, but life doesn't go backwards my friend, and time stops for no man or woman, no matter how much freedom or power they might think they have.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-09-25 18:03:20

Hi,
@dentin: I just sent you a forum mail using the email link. You just made me very happy, I didn't know you liked cartoons.

2014-09-25 19:25:42

Well I admit I'm not hugely into cartoons with the major exception of Futurama, but I'd much rather watch a cartoon than something like a soap, reality show or sports. To me those just seem like a flat waste of time, and frankly I think the amount of social conflict in soaps is easily as harmful or maybe even more so than the amount of violence in shows aired after 10pm.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-25 19:38:48

On that score, I often use the term neuroendocrine, as it's more of an umbrella term, but all species  have ways to rewire these chemical messengers that gives emotions for everything we do. We can get negative or positive rewards for a negative emotion, or we can get a negative or positive reward for a positive emotion.
Normalcy is what is believed to have been set by those who invented them and who have accepted it into their routines. More often than not, normal people miss out on the abnormal things or things that are not a part of societal mainstream. The key here is for a person to be who they are, to be what they want to be, no questions asked. Sorry for the cliché. O:-)
I live by this quote proverb: The traits we admire such as generosity, kindness and caring are those would will fail, while the traits we dispise, those of meanness, greed, and self-interest are to succeed.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-25 20:21:17

I disagree on that last point, the traits we admire are ones which allow us as a society and species to succeed. Unfortunately a lot of people have difficulty separating that concept from the concept of individuality, I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive by any means. In fact individuality strengthens us by providing us with additional viewpoints and skillsets, so long as it doesn't fall into dangerous levels of self interest.

We all have a right to put ourselves first at least some of the time, the problem comes when we do so in a way which is harmful to others.

cx2
-----

2014-09-26 08:43:32

Well, I haven't read all the posts here, but I've read enough to get a general idea of what's being discussed.
I'm 25, and I still like cartoons such as the original Ninja Turtles and Thundercats. To me, stuff like that is more of a nostalgia trip than anything else. I also dated a guy for quite awhile who was very into anime, he even still cosplays, I think. He told me that anime conventions usually contain people anywhere from the ages of 18-22, but it wasn't unusual to see people who were older or younger than that.
I also still enjoy the Disney classics. Not this bullcrap like Frozen or Hannah Montana, but the real deal, like Snow White, Song of the South, Sleeping Beauty, etc. I'm not trying to be offensive, and, unlike these immature people you speak of, I don't have a problem with a person just because they might watch the more modern Disney stuff. I personally don't like it because I feel that any show or movie that has to make a conscious, willful effort to be politically correct and all-inclusive is just silly. I personally feel that kids should be well-rounded. If they want to watch those things, they should equally be exposed to the classics, the building blocks that made today's programming possible.
As for the things your friend has been saying to you, are you sure that he honestly feels this way, or is he simply looking for attention? Teenagers are notorious for going for the most dramatic shock value possible. That is, they will do almost anything to be noticed, and some will take it farther than others. While he could genuinely be gay, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's the case, my instinct tells me that he's just trying on a risqué facade to see what happens. It probably pleases him more to be noticed than these fantasies of his do.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-09-26 11:33:33

Well, speaking about him, I really don't know. I gave him advice and he was scolded by his teacher for saying that he wants to touch the teacher's butt! I do! hope its only his fantasies and all. Its also strange that he likes to say things like "I want so and so person to kick me, see how hard he kicks," and that kind of stuff. I really! hope that he will get back to his old self soon. Its really making everyone around him uncomfortable - and embarrased. Embarrased because he sometimes directs his fantasies towards us and we just don't know what to do/say... PLease, my God, please let him get back on track and stop this kind of stuff!

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-09-26 17:07:53

I would have liked t know where these fetishes originally came from, and what has driven them in your friend. Maybe he perceives an image, and he wants to put together the sensations that would match that image. This kind of stuff that is going on with your frine dcannot be dealt with if we just talk about what he does, but we would have to talk about why he did it and go as deep as we can.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-26 17:24:51

Well, on the subject of weather or not watching anime/cartoons is immature or childish I personally don't think it is. I'm in my mid 30's and to this day I still watch a lot of animated stuff from the 80's like He-Man, She-Ra, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and Thundercats which I grew up with and still enjoy. I also watch quite a bit of newer animated stuff when my son is around and it is something we can do together. So I don't think watching anime or cartoons is childish in of itself.

As others have tried to point out teenagers are often caught in that state between child and adult, and they are changing rapidly both mentally and physically.  As a result some of them try to be more adult than they are by putting down certain things they themselves think is childish or that would make them seem childish to their peers. Anyone out of their social group, anyone who doesn't conform to what they think is normal, is going to get picked on just because they are different. That does not mean being different is bad. It is a good thing in most cases.

As dark mentioned above I think I am a child at heart, and given a choice I'd rather be 10 than 30 myself. However, since I have no choice in the matter, am in fact in my mid 30's, I don't see that as any reason to abandon various pursuits that some may view as childish, and I'm not just talking about watching cartoons. I have, for example, a really large collection of Star trek action figures. I also have a pretty sizable collection of Star Wars action figures. I have said collections because I am a big fan of both science fiction series and started collecting memorabilia when I was a kid and haven't stopped. As far as I am concerned collecting action figures isn't much different than a stamp collection, coin collection, or a collection of classic model cars. If someone wants to view it as childish its their problem as far as I am concerned because there are lots of grown men and women who have collections of toys ranging from beamy babies, to Barbies, to various action figures. The important thing is to be happy with whatever you like doing and not worry about what the other people think.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-26 17:41:55

Hell, there's a surprising amount of adults who use Nerf guns as  an alternative to paintball, airsoft or laser tag that is easily and inexpensively available with little in the way of safety concerns.

Collecting action figures as memorabilia is more common than you think, it has certainly been referenced enough times in the Big Bang Theory. I think my favourite was the comment that Sheldon keeps a couple of fifties in Green Lantern's ass.

cx2
-----

2014-09-27 16:49:38 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2014-09-28 20:28:37)

I finally had some time to go over the topic more thoroughly and here's what I think so far.
I agree that it is childish for other people to insult those who are different, but it seems to me that the people here are using that to try to deflect attention from the fact that TV shows really are more childish than others. If you think about what makes something less childish or more adult-like, it is not just romance  or drama, despite what the media tries to make people think.
In my opinion, themes that are meant for adults are too complex for children to comprehend. One example that people wouldn't consider to be childish is science. Just because that was what someone was interested in as a kid doesn't necessarily mean that it would apply to all children in general. In fact, I could say that science could be childish if presented correctly, such as television shows and educational materials with concepts so simple that children could easily understand them, and that were meant for babies and toddlers. One of such examples I can think of is Bill Nye the Science Guy, but other than that I don't know of any other science shows that would actually target the age groups of toddlers, since Bill Nye is for kids ages eight to twelve, but hopefully you all get my point.
I am sure most of you watched a show that was so simple that you were sure almost anyone would consider it to be childish, even if they watched it all the way through. Besides, some shows are meant for very very young children, while others are meant for older ones. Advanced theoretical science on the other hand is geared towards adults, or at least a child who would be way beyond their peers.
Going back to the question as to whether Pokémon specifically is childish or not, I would suggest you compare someone who watched shows and played games like those, versus someone who would take science and philosophy classes. Like other people here already mentioned, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for one to do something that was childish, although in my opinion if that's the only thing they did all day. Also, going back to what I said about it being good to help society, I think it is a good thing, even if all you could do was to pick up litter or something like that, but if you really think you can't help society, at least in my opinion, you should spend your time improving yourself, and not just watching TV shows.
I myself think of logic and emotion as being contradictory, mostly because the more emotional people I've met weren't as smart, and also because a person could solve a problem through logic, like figuring out an intelligent solution, or giving into anger for example and fight with someone. Another example is that when people, or at least those who execute extremely complex math problems have emotions that tend to go away and would be replaced by the focused intensity of said problem.
Also, have you ever sat down to watch a lot of TV shows and felt like you did nothing for a few hours straight, That is because they were stimulating you emotionally, but not intellectually. Beside, the more intelligent people would have stronger emotions because of the fact that they were smarter, they would have more pride, and also the things they go through would be difficult, like trying to make people believe in their theories, whereas a more stupid person would just have to do a very simple job.
Lastly, if your friend is making comments like these, he should probably see a psychologist, at the very least to explain to him that saying things like that is unacceptable. Also, there is a big difference between comments that are childish, and ones that are completely inappropriate.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy