2014-09-28 15:38:27

LOL, yes I mean a bum bag, and since I'm in London that's often non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

I would like Apple to do something about the iPod Touch. Right now it appears to be the underpowered, cheap iPhone without a phone, which I think is wrong. They could easily make it the iPad Micro with a slightly bigger form factor.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-28 17:47:31

Watch apple kill it off. I bet they think, why store music on your device when you have subscription services? Even if that isn't the reason, the touch is in an interesting position of not even working with the latest IOS 8, so who knows.

2014-09-28 19:38:14

I could have sworn the current iPod Touch did get iOS 8.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-28 19:53:54

From what i read, the 5th gen had some lag issues that made it agonizing to use. This could be a rumor though, it's hard to separate fact from fiction when you have so many people with conflicting experiences.

2014-09-29 08:58:42

Sadly, I think the iPod touch is dieing. Apple might focus more on the Apple watch or the other iPods. I don't care, but some people might find this sad.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-09-29 09:28:22

It is sad in a sense. It makes a great accessible organiser for people not willing or able to pay for an iPhone or iPad. Of course it doesn't make sense within Apple's lineup, it's too small to be a tablet, doesn't have the cellular capability of the phone, and too sophisticated for just an audio player.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-30 14:01:24

I think it's sad. iPod Touch with Aeroplane Mode on makes the best audio player you've ever owned; even when on Wi-Fi only, and with notifications off, the small amount of network connectivity is typically sufficient to sync over the air, download podcasts, check weather and flights, etc. not everybody wants an actual phone. But of course Apple wants you to have that phone, so …

At the risk of waxing philosophical about a tech product, I actually think iPod represents the spirit of iOS hardware better than any other product Apple made. It's all about the content and the uses to which you put it, not about the software; the hardware is essentially generic. iPads have big screens, iPhones have bulky cell radios. iPods are just fun, useful little computers. But you're probably right--Apple wants them dead, most likely.

iOS 8 will run on the iPod 5th gen but think 4S performance--slightly better, but not by much. It's pretty ghastly.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-03 23:18:24

My iPhone 6 Plus failed to appear today, because the carrier, TNT, marked it as absent (customer not home). This is of course patently wrong; I've been at home, with a flu no less, for the past week. So GRRRRRR! This at the end of Apple's preordering process. Next year I won't bother preordering at all if this is the best I can expect.

Oh yeah, and I'm setting up an iPhone 4 fresh with iOS 7.1.2 for my mother, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it actually works quite well. It's not nearly as bad as the 4S with 8, so God only knows what Apple have been doing to their flagship software.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-04 14:31:56

That's more the courier's fault than Apple or whoever you got the phone from. Couriers and posties in general are notoriously obnoxious.

One time back when I lived with my mum we were both sitting in the living room when we heard a sudden noise from the garage, turns out the postlady hadn't even bothered to knock she just heaved open the garage door and stuck the parcel in there. She didn't even seem to care when she was caught in the act. As a note we didn't have a car and the garage door didn't lock properly, the place was rented so fixing it wasn't our responsibility.

I've heard many stories of missed delivery cards being shoved through letter boxes while the people were in, even some cases of post people creeping up to the door in a block of flats so they didn't get noticed by anyone who might be home just so they didn't have to bother carrying the parcel up some stairs or whatever. Lazy sods.

cx2
-----

2014-10-04 18:47:05

As for posties, glad it's not just me then, and certainly this block is quite hard to find. But only TNT has issues … hmm.

As for preordering, they sent it out on 27 Sep, so that was still quite a wait. Not sure what they want customers to preorder for if they're going to hold up shipments that long. I thought the idea was you used your preordering numbers to estimate minimum demand? But I could be wrong about that.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-04 21:44:59

It's possible Apple have set purchase limits for each supplier, to ensure they're more evenly spread out rather than ending up with one company having many more than the others.

cx2
-----

2014-10-07 17:38:04

Right. Well, it turns out to have been with TNT all this time (since Oct 3) and nobody bothered to inform me. Rescheduled yesterday, and it ought to be delivered today, at the first opportunity.

To quote the delightfully talented duo Amateur Transplants, "They're all lazy fucking useless cunts". I just can't understand. I mean, it gets worse, and let's face it, if Apple have procurement facilities through their tracking platform, and if TNT notes the failed delivery, then there's absolutely no reason why Apple, or TNT, or both, couldn't have informed me. I really am quite annoyed.

And now, to return to your usual programming …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-07 19:11:40

Technically once Apple hand it over it ceases to be their responsibility. The only decent courier I've had experience with is DPD, they even send you messages to tell you the day and time to within an hour giving you the opportunity to change either.

To quote Ameture Transplants song information technology, "It's meant to help but I really f*cking doubt it." Pretty much describes most courier services.

cx2
-----

2014-10-07 21:23:20

Indeed!

And now that it's well past close of business, I have to think that TNT meant it when they said "Earliest opportunity".

Maybe tomorrow. Perhaps next week. I give up trying to guess, because they seem to think everybody knows that deliveries can always be made when the recipient is least likely to be in.

I probably shouldn't have given my brother my iPhone 5S as soon as he came home. Oh well, what's done is done.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-10-07 22:39:58

It's the same with any kind of workmen or engineers, they think you've nothing better to do than sit around in the living room all day waiting for them to knock. Heaven forefend you should wish to go to the toilet, much less the shops.

cx2
-----

2014-10-08 15:22:50

And …

MY IPHONE HAS ARRIVED! big_smile

And what a gorgeous piece of art--I mean, hardware--it is. smile

Such a shame that the first thing I'm going to do to it is put it in DFU mode and install the 8.1 beta on it. But not before pleasuring Apple Developer by registering the UUID, which is going to involve lots of contortions.

Oh well, it's here. At long bloody last!

Just myself, as usual.