2014-09-19 03:33:00

Hi all. I want to know if I can make my life easier and write a CLI for the Mac App Store. I want it to be able to search, install, and update. Maybe remove if I'm up to it. So what, if any, is a good starting point? Which language would be best tailored to this task?

2014-09-22 00:28:32

@king gamer222, you've got a problem here. The Mac App Store is written in Objective-C/Objective-C++, so you'd have to learn that. Also, I don't know how the app store works, and probably won't ever know, so I can't tell you how you'd do that. Don't try. Just use the graphical version. If you do attempt to write a CLI interface, I would recommend you ask apple for permission first.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-10-02 11:39:14

Hi.
You might take a look at Apple scripting, where you can work with most tasks which are build into Apples OS.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-10-02 15:11:55

I don't think this is easily possible.  I do not believe that public APIs exist for it.  They might, but I doubt it.  Especially since I could then write a virus that went and started buying apps for you.
That said, you could use something like selenium, a Python package for crawling the web.  Other languages have equivalents.  Technically speaking, anything on the web can have a CLI version, if only because you're starting up a headless browser and clicking on links.  But you're screwed when the web site changes, and this isn't exactly newbie-friendly programming either.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992