2014-09-13 20:30:59

Hey,
I'm thinking of buying some stargate DVDs and I'm just curious if any of you guys have seen it and if you think its understandable without described video?
I know that a company in Toronto did a few epesodes, but I'm not sure what happened with them...
Any help/feedback would be great...
Thanks,

Daniel

2014-09-13 21:29:54

Hello Daniel.
Well I have them on iTunes so don't know if there are audio described dvds. They are very understandable and fun to watch.
Hth. I have never needed audio description so  you should have no problem understanding it.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-09-13 22:43:33

I agree. You might miss the occasional teaser of future trouble at the end of an episode but not often, there's generally plenty of talking going on. While it has action scenes it isn't a pure action show.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-13 22:55:37

Well if you are a casual watcher.
Then that's fine, but if you followed it like me, the  worse you could do was miss the end of a story arc, if you have to miss eps 1 or 2 would be the best to miss at a time but still.
One day I may buy it all but sg1 has 10 seasons, sga has 1 season ever broadcast in 2 bits and another season that never made it.
Universe which I did watch has a second season but it never made it sga has at least 4 seasons rumoured but I watched most of it back in the day.
The only scifi drama that continues is the bbc doctor who and I havn't really watched all doctors just the latest 4 or so new seasons some of which someone gave to me from a now dead server he had.
However there is so much and to own all the gate, trek who and other  stuff is just to much to pay and to much to store.
A lot of the classics died in the late 90s,  never to come again.
Out of the stuff that I have watched so far when I did, all of doctor who up to the current new season 4 was good this one I don't know I missed an ep because I had a party last week.
Out of the treck, tos, tng, voyager and ds9 were good as well as first season and only season broadcast of enterprise.
Out of stargate, the original sg1 all 10 seasons well most of those anyway.
atlantice, all of it.
and most of universe.
On an interesting note, battle star galactica which I watched the old series rocked the newer more reality based series just didn't feel right.
There are a few others like that everything from the 80s to the 90s was quite good.
but most things after 2000 are totally crap or more of the same thing.
By themselves they are not crap but if you watched the origionals like I did you really will be disappointed.
The only drama that actually differs from that is the nightrider series, the old one rocked, the new one while different, to me was quite good.

2014-09-13 23:48:30

You can follow most of  the episodes. You won't be missing any plot elements. While I'm not aware of any DVS editions, you can find
very detailed transcripts Online that actually read more like a screenplay, where the transcribers not only wrote down the dialog but also what's going on. So, you can use these as a guide for more visual action scenes. Stargate is definitely worth getting into and I enjoyed watching through SG1, atlantis and to a lesser extent universe. WHen you're done with the main series, take a look at all the books worth published under the license, there's lots of great stories as well. One that comes to mind is the Atlantis legacy series which I believe starts either with the 18th or 19th atlantis book, which covers what happened right after the end of Atlantis's 5th season. Surprisingly enough, it's still going and they just started a new arc which will hopefully not take 4 books to resolve like the first part of legacy big_smile. They're still coming out with new stargate books and the next thing coming out is a collection of SG1 shortstories, that's in October. Big finish also came out with 3 seasons of stargate drama, all of them featuring original actors. The first 2 seasons are audiobooks with 2 actors, while the 3rd is a full blwon audio drama. The big finish stories were actually written by one of the people responsible for the books mentioned above so again, they're definitely worth listening to.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-09-14 00:27:30

Hi.
Well this is something I forgot to mention but you can look up the transcripts of most tv shows like pitermach said. I do this often with shows like spongebob or the big bang theory when something happens that I don't understand. A lot of the time  a show's wiki will have transcripts of shows but if they don't I guarantee a transcript of a  show can be found anywhere.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-09-14 02:29:56

Thanks for the responces guys--I think I'l just take a look at a few epesodes off ITunes and see how it is--probably will buy some dvds eventualy...
Thanks again,

Daniel

2014-09-14 07:49:12

What people like does vary a lot. I liked SG1, really liked Atlantis but couldn't stand Universe. At the same time I loathed the original Galactica and felt the reimagined series started strong but went downhill along its run as the studio allegedly interfered. I also found Enterprise was just getting quite good in its last season when they cancelled it.

If anyone's interested in the classic Who at all I strongly recommend looking to the third and/or fourth doctors. iTunes has collections of the best of each classic doctor if that's any help to anyone, the fourth doctor collection includes the excellent Genesis of the Daleks which describes how they came to exist.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.