2014-09-11 14:37:47

The latest jaws 16 beta has just been released: http://www2.freedomscientific.com/downl … c-beta.asp

I've been seeing this trend for a while now, but I think that this version just perfectly illustrates the death of screen reader innovation.

1. JAWS Command Search, a Built in Search Engine for JAWS Keystrokes. This actually sounds potentially useful.
2. Standard Licenses Become "Home Use Edition for Non-Commercial Use": good as well.
3. Semi-Auto Forms Mode: pretty minor feature, nothing much to comment on here.
4. Enhanced Convenient OCR for PDF Documents: this is pretty silly imo, because any specialized OCR tool like fine reader will definitely do a much better job.
5. Improved JAWS Performance with Microsoft Word 2013 using UIA: good for those using word 2013, but I haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade
6. Enhanced Language Support in Voice Profiles: i'm surprised that this feature only appeared now, as it seems like an obvious improvement in hindsight
7. Windows 8.1 Reading List and people app support: how many people will willingly use metro apps if there are normal desktop substitutes that are comparable or better in functionality?
8. New Research It Lookup Source for Tracking USPS Packages: time is probably better spent implementing other features/bug fixes more appropriate for a screen reader
9. New Focus Braille Display Command for Panning: no comment. haven't used jaws with a braille display before.
10. Updated Third-Party Braille Drivers: if i'm not mistaken, this just means that more braille display vendors  paid freedomscientific to get their drivers certified/compatible. This seems pretty ridiculous. What is the range of compatiblility of NVDA with braille displays?
11. More Voices Option Added to the JAWS Help Menu. Including Vocalizer Expressive High Premium voices on the DVD: I guess this makes it easier for people to use vocalizer expressive; out of interest, how many of you use that feature?
12. Improved JAWS Recovery: took them forever to add this; wasn't this in NVDA for forever?

Thoughts? I was hoping for more noteworthy changes, being a long-time jaws user, but i'm pretty disappointed overall with this release.

2014-09-11 15:10:39

I haven't seen any note worthy changes for that screen reader in the past 4 years to justify an upgrade. I'll use NVDA, thanks.

2014-09-11 15:45:28

I completely agree with arqmeister. I have Jaws on my school computer, however, but will only take upgrades that MISD speciffically pays for.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-09-11 16:18:54

Well, as i've been using jaws for 11 years, i'm sticking with it and not upgrading to NVDA. There are a couple of features I really like about this version, like OCR of entire pdf documents, the command search, and the recovery feature.
I also heard that in one of the FS casts, freedom scientific is going to a payment plan with jaws.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-09-11 16:29:02

My responses, following the same order:
1: can't comment specifically. I've been using nvda for a long time now and haven't looked back. I'd say though that this is somewhat pointless, as if they have anything like a propper manual (which iirc they do) keystroke lookup is easy.

2: No clue what this does, but the whole line just makes me want to sigh at them. Give us a propper portable version and maybe then we'll talk improvement.

3: no comment.

4: ah, but the ocr was so bad before, so utterly horribly bad. Any improvement is worthwhile.

5: Good for you. Don't upgrade. Its a pain in more ways than I could possibly explain.

6: no comment, not sure what the issue they're fixing is.

7: Good. More people will use it than you think, because a lot of people don't bother to do the research required to find those better apps.

8: Cool. They need to make research it better (how's about more search results than 5!) because they're getting smashed to bits on the extra features front by nvda. I.e: the only one jfw has is research it. Nvda has a whole community addons website full of seriously handy extras (go balloons history, go dropbox, go system monitor).

9: No comment. Seems like a generic improvement.

10: Nvda's braille support list (and I quote the manual):
All Focus and PAC Mate displays from Freedom Scientific are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth.
Both the ALVA BC640 and BC680 displays from Optelec are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth.
NVDA supports all displays from Handy Tech when connected via USB or bluetooth.
The Lilli braille display available from MDV is supported.
Several Baum, HumanWare and APH displays are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth. These include:
•Baum: SuperVario, PocketVario
•HumanWare: Brailliant, BrailleConnect
•APH: Refreshabraille
The hedo ProfiLine USB from hedo Reha-Technik is supported.
The hedo MobilLine USB from hedo Reha-Technik is supported.
The Brailliant BI and B series of displays from HumanWare, including the BI 32, BI 40 and B 80, are supported when connected via USB or bluetooth.
NVDA supports Braille Sense and Braille EDGE displays from Hims when connected via USB or bluetooth.
NVDA supports the SyncBraille Display from HIMS.
The Seika Version 3, 4 and 5 (40 cells) and Seika80 (80 cells) braille displays from Nippon Telesoft are supported.
Papenmeier BRAILLEX Newer Models
The following Braille displays are supported:
•BRAILLEX EL 40c, EL 80c, EL 20c, EL 60c (USB)
•BRAILLEX EL 40s, EL 80s, EL 2d80s, EL 70s, EL 66s (USB)
•BRAILLEX Trio (USB and bluetooth)
Papenmeier Braille BRAILLEX Older Models
The following Braille displays are supported:
•BRAILLEX EL 80, EL 2D-80, EL 40 P
•BRAILLEX Tiny, 2D Screen
NVDA supports the BrailleNote notetakers from Humanware when acting as a display terminal for a screen reader
BRLTTY

11: I use it for... uh... one game? On one computer?

12: No clue what this is.

2014-09-11 17:15:15

Well, OCR is never perfect. It depends heavily on your screen resolution to work properly. However, the inhanced PDF OCR doesn't depend on your resolution and is very nearly perfect. I was trying it yesterday with an inaccessible pdf.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-09-11 17:53:27

One thing they definitely need to do is improve word performance at least 2010 and above. Taking an entire second to go from one line to the next in large documents E.G 500 page study books really is quite sad, and something I honestly am rather disappointed in because word is used by so many people and also considering NVDA can do this much better. Slowdowns also occur in word footnotes, outlook and a host of other things. This might partially be because of the machine I'm using since I never really see the need for super fast computers, but either way NVDA still does it a lot better which is a shame for FS. I hardly ever use NVDA because I think it's unacceptable that you should have to switch screen readers for these kinds of things alone.
Apart from new features, these are the things that need to be worked on in JFW, not this so-called research it which quite frankly is a total waste of time. OCR... I honestly don't know because so far I've not actually managed to do anything with it, probably because I'm horrible at operating that feature.
On my laptop I still have JAWS 14 and decided not to go to 15 because there's very little I use the laptop for other than studies and there aren't a lot of improvements for that. It looks like this will not change in JAWS 16 either. Great, now I will have to get more upgrades if I actually want to get something useful.

2014-09-11 18:01:08

I think they did improve word proformence in jaws 16. It was on the feature list at least.

2014-09-11 18:54:26

That is word 2013 performance, nothing mentioned about word 2010. I really hate the lag on massive word documents, especially when NVDA does just fine.

@john: the language profiles thing basically boils down to being able to set different speech rates for different languages. NVDA definitely trounces jaws in the add-on ease of installation; its more difficult for end-users to install scripts than add-ons, unless the author uses the jaws script exchange programme. NVDA's add-ons are also written in the mainstream python language instead of a propriatory language, which definitely helps a tonne. I also raised the point about the realspeak voices, because though freedomscientific did tout this feature at release, it has not to my knowledge used that in its demos like FSCast. Jaws recovery is basically jaws now being able to automatically restarted if it detects that it has hanged after a while. Its also really helarious how many braille displays NVDA supports; i'm almost certain now that the 'improved support for third-party braille displays' is the result of vendors paying freedomscientific.

@bryant: the extra payment options will be helpful for some who can't pay the full cost of jaws upfront. It really bothers me that this was labeled a major version release. Yes, features like the OCR of pdfs and command search would qualify for major version updates, but certainly things like enhanced windows 8.1 metro apps support and office 2013 UIA improvements are arguably bug fixes. I guess thats how they make their money, i suppose.

I can easily forsee myself switching fulltime to NVDA maybe in a few versions. I really like it, and it does do most of the things that jaws does.

2014-09-11 19:04:47

Reguarding scripts, I hardly ever use them, as number 1 i have found no need for them, and 2 if I do use scripts, most of them are preinstalled by default.

2014-09-11 19:18:41

I think it's important to realize that everyone comes from a different background.  ResearchIt, in hindsight, seems pretty pointless – for people to this forum, who, mostly, are tech-savvy and have been using computers for a long while.  But it's important to remember that the population is aging, and of course people from the Baby Boom generation aren't getting any younger either.  Conditions like macular degeneration are blinding many people, and Research It provides a simple way for these sort of people to look things up quickly.  For a newbie, JAWS (and any sort of screen reader) can be pretty daunting.  Personally, the only Research It lookup source I use is Wictionary, and even that's pretty seldom these days, but some people probably use it as their only means of looking things up.

Enhanced OCR.  For many people, again, this is useless.  But think about publishers who offer books in "alternative" formats.  Here's a PDF.  Guess what?  It's an image.  Have fun reading that, college student.  OCR would sure save your bacon in that case, would it not?

Office improvements are good for 2013, but I do agree with people who use 2010.  There's no compelling reason to upgrade, but FreedomScientific basically left users of Office 2010 in the dust.  That is quite unfortunate.

And, frankly, I'm still wondering what "bugs" people talk about.  I've been using JAWS for years, and I see people say things like, "JAWS has all these bugs!" without being any more specific.  I still wonder what bugs they refer to?  JAWS is pretty solid, from what I've seen; and, from someone who uses Braille and speech, sometimes in tandem, sometimes not, I can tell you that any Braille improvement is welcome.  Not because Braille isn't polished, but because it is very difficult to concisely display a lot of information on, say, 40 cells (and less).

People complain that there is no innovation anymore.  I ask you, then, to consider the newest iPhones, announced a few days ago.  What did they add, really?  WiFi AC, an NFC chip, larger battery...How is that innovation?  Android has had many of these features for years.  It's not innovation, because it can't be.  It is very difficult to take a very good product that meets most users' needs and make it better.  The only significant thing in this JAWS upgrade: recovery.  Way, way overdo, but I'm glad it's there.  Will I be upgrading?  Considering I spend most of my time on Os X nowadays, most likely not.  But I ask people to, instead of slamming everything, consider it from the backgrounds of other users.  You are not the only people that FreedomScientific serves.

2014-09-11 20:31:42 (edited by arjan 2014-09-11 20:34:53)

I'm not saying research it is a useless thing to have in a screen reader. What I'm saying is that it doesn't really belong there. As has already been said there are other programs which can do what research it and the OCR in JAWS do, only better.
It's usually better to have one great cake rather than several half baked ones and I feel FS is currently baking too many of them. Projects which aren't necessarily bad, but not the most important are being worked on, seemingly primarily. While improving performance, which helps everyone, appears to have been put on a shelf. Also, what's the point of OCR scanning a document if the program which helps you read that document is clunky?
As to bugs, I really don't know of any, so not sure what people are talking about there either. Apart from the eloquence crash words, which while perhaps not caused by JAWS are totally unacceptable in a synthesizer in my opinion.
In short, I think FS needs to get their performance up to scratch first, then they can focus on other stuff. Although I'd still prefer it if they would limit it to the primary purpose of a screen reader.

2014-09-12 01:27:25

The Research It feature is a good first attempt to solve the same sort of problem that the little helper apps in Win 7 and 8 are trying to solve, easy lookup for commonly needed information sources.  Sadly, as Research It is often dependent upon web formats that don't remain constant for very long, it's often broken, reducing its utility.

2014-09-12 02:39:00

At this point, I just upgrade as a duty, to get the latest bugfixes. There really is nothing here I actually want. Hmm, perhaps this is the end of the line for me? After all, I'm now on OS X most days, and XP is my only VM and won't run this release.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-12 03:05:15

One thing I really agree with is the pdf ocr thing. It would make things a world easier in my classes

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-09-12 03:22:56

One issue with FS is the authorization method. Sure, the client activator is cool, but really? And the locking code? That can be easily cracked? No way! Another issue with FS is that they use incredibly old technology like video display drivers which, in my opinion, suck. Window Eyes, for instance, does not require its video display driver to be attached to operate; it still works perfectly. Although video display drivers are good, they are quite old, and since they're so old, why can't screen readers simply used the already installed video display drivers to read text on the screen? NvDA and System Access can do that. Window Eyes can do that. Why can't JAWS and some of the other companies which use these drivers.
One other thing about VDDs is they slow down performance greatly. That's why JAWS is slow in massive documents in word 2010 and earlier. The VDD has to send text to JAWS manually every time new text arrives and, therefore, slows down the machine because each line of text is being processed. NVDA works extremely quickly with word 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, 2013, etc, and has almost no issues with it, while JAWS has lots of them. One of these is the ability to read symbols. It sometimes fails to recognize the symbol list, and just thinks its a graphic which has no navigability. The ribbon also slows things down. Again, the video intercept driver does all of this. This is not JAWS's falt directly; its the old technology that FS uses, old technology that they won't break away from.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-09-12 03:50:40 (edited by gellman 2014-09-12 10:35:18)

Screen reader innovation is limited by the accessibility of the environment in which the software has to operate.

If accessibility requires a special set of operating conditions to work, and the other applications are changing for the worse, I don't think that Freedom Scientific can do much about it.

I hate to defend FS, but they are probably doing as much as they can to catch up with the changes in Windows and Office.

I am more concerned about the regression in accessibility we'll experience when the internet of things becomes commonly accepted.

There is no guarantee that the  internet of things will be accessible, and if you can't operate household appliances or only buy an overpriced 'blind friendly' product, our choices are very limited.

If you think that the current state of software accessibility is bad, you have  seen nothing yet.

m

2014-09-12 13:06:57

@Gellman: you may be right. Let us hope that networking interfaces become standardised. To judge from touch-screen printers and set-top boxes, though, you would seem to be correct, so far.

JAWS Pro has no business existing; it is an aberration. The entire activation model is an insult to the customer.

But as long as I own JAWS and recommend it to Windows users, I really have no business complaining. I trust NVDA users everywhere to erode FS' market share to the best of their ability.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-09-13 13:35:56

While I think that a screenreader is a personal preference thing, As for myself, I'll stick with NVDA.  I just like it better.  I won't badmouth JAWS, because I don't need to.  I'm just happy for alternatives.

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.

2014-09-13 16:48:40

My belief is that every screen reader has been built with its purpose, a purpose usually reflected by the title of the screen reader if you look closely enough, and not every screen reader is meant for everyone, even if everyone can use it.  JAWS stands for job access with speech, which is a reflective name of the produc that has been catering to many in various corporate environments for a very long time.  it was not intended to be purchased by the average consumer, a belief I've held in my mind for many years and which is sadly a mistake I'm sure many others has made.  Why they didn't decide to focus on accessibility for all rather than accessibility for the workforce is beyond me, but that is indeed the route they chose to travel.  I have heard from various people that features like the infamous and widely argued research-it feature have proved useful when working in job environments that require quick information such as the tracking of shipments or other orders customers have placed, and various other systems, and is it not possible for developers to take tools from the FS website and develop for the research-it engine to fit their own needs?  I'm fairly certain I've heard this somewhere, though I'm willing to admit to misinformation given that I haven't messed with that tool very much.
NVDA stands for Non Visual Desktop Access, though it provides more than access to desktop material or desktop computers for that matter.  It is a screen reader that does its best to tackle every day computer usage and to provide it to everyone equally.  Employers and employees or home business owners, techies and gamers and heavy multimedia consumers as home and abroad, productive members of society and young children looking for something to do, teachers or students, young, old, ritch and poor, NVDA has you covered on both basic needs and many more advanced necessities.  It's userbase is quickly growing, possibly owing to the fact that more people are switching to it for one, but we must also take into consideration the people who previously didn't have a screen reader because they didn't have the money to shell out for JAWS or WindowEyes or anything else on the market.  If I ran into a family with a blind child or teen, I would have the parents look into getting that child a PC and have NVDA installed on it, not because I have a personal preference for the screen reader, but because it makes sense from a financial and usage standpoint.  Unless the child is learning more complex tasks than the basics of computer information management and the occasional word processing that might involve formatting for school essays and the like, what does he need with a $1000 product?
if the people working at corporations are still finding JAWS a useful product, or the people who use it on a daily basis because they work from home, or the college students who find they can accomplish tasks more efficiently with it, or the people who use it because they've used it all of their life, what can we, NVDA users who have probably mastered just about every other screen reader companies have thrown at us over the years, possibly say to kill the production of a product that has accumulated fame for being an easy enough screen reader to learn for anyone and everyone?  NVDA is not that product; indeed most of the stories I hear involve getting used to it over a period of time that differs from person to person.  JAWS was a screen reader I was able to pick up a fair amount of knowledge on in a couple of days, which was good because I needed it while going to school.  I doubt I would have been able to do the same with NVDA, given that most of its help resources are scattered across the web and I'd have had to learn how to use a web browser to begin getting at them.  JAWS now has most of this information at your fingertips, or one could have it sent to them with the product to their home if they so chose to have it that way, and can even have people who are trained in the department of teaching them how to use it properly come to their home and instruct them further.
It may boil down to personal preference in some cases; I won't deny that, and that should be respected.  There is, however, a set of needs met by every screen reader that should also be taken into consideration if only grudgingly.  While we frown down upon the companies that seem to use uselessness to make money, other people's lives are being made easier by what we just don't see any purpose for and which we might see a point to in the future.  am I saying I wouldn't like to see more as far as screen reader innovation is concerned?  Certainly not.  I doubt we can blame any one screen reader or company for its practices though, else I could probably point my finger at apple for not doing enough, and yet most of it's customers are perfectly satisfied with voiceover as is, so what can I do?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-09-13 21:08:26

Having been an NVDA user since 2011, I can say that NVDA is much better than JAWS Imho.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-09-15 09:32:18

Hi all (and again, excuse my english):

I agree, there isn't much innovation during last years. It is the case for JAWS, but it is the case for NVDA and Voiceover too (fanboys, don't kill me, let me explain).

Nvda, for example, has been started from nothing, so, during its first years, it has been trying to be as useful as its competitors (in its early releases it was a kind of Narrator plus). Now it's a great option, but in fact NVDA is just starting to improve brand new features. Ok, ok, object navegator is new, but in my opinion it's another way to do what jaws has been doing with its 13889 different cursors. More productive, better or worse, but it's intended to attack the same thing.

Voiceover felt refreshing in its early stages because its use of the gestures (both in mac and ios devices) was something we all had been waiting for a long time, but Apple is not updating it with a lot of new features, in part cause if someting works, let it be...

In 2014, you can do more or less the same things with nvda, jaws or Voiceover, the main differences are how to do that, and I think each screen reader has to improve this "how to". A whole revision of jaws could simplify its 3722 cursors, some of its impossible keystrokes and make it faster and lighter; nvda has to simplify a bit its object navegator (using it on a laptop is not the best experience at all), and Voiceover needs a new keyboard layout (don't you feel constantly as you haven't enought fingers to deal with voiceover, specially in your mac?).

My opinion is that all most used screen readers can do the same, but they aren't optimized. For each new release, developers add a little thing to mantain the hipe without looking at the entire product experience. There isn't much more they can add but a better way to do what we all are doing in our everyday lifes (obviously, compatibility with new software releases is a good reason for updating, but I'm not considering it like a new feature).

Finally, I partly agree... jaws offers more productivity in some areas like working with Visual Studio or advanced text processing, it's objectively true. I use jaws at work, NVDA at home and VoiceOver on my phone and on the Mac (musical composition etc), and in my experience, many people  do so, cause each screen reader has its own weaknesses.

2014-09-15 16:52:14

I am rolling on the floor laughing. can you really think that NVDA can be compared to jaws? why does NVDA cost 0.0 dollars, and, on the other hand, there is Jaws who costs more than 800 dollars? Remember, it's just a beta version, which means that that is not the complete version so there will be also other improvements within the next months. Also, Jaws will include some other updates, as in the previous versions, like research it, place markers, word index, excel collums, Jaws training dazy book files, and much much more, which NVDA does not include. Also, there are vocalizer expressive voices, which are paid apps, and jaws use them without a charge. Don't forget, a very and much comprehensive and super-integrated synthesizer, and better performance in Microsoft Office products.
More over, many third-party applications support, and a touch cursor away advanced than in NVDA.
I myself am using Jaws since 5 years ago, and feel that this screen reader is really irreplaceable with another one.
Works nice in windows 7, and I'm looking forward to upgrade to windows 8.1 and try there it's available features and mouse and touchpad reading.

Wish you all a good time!

2014-09-15 20:37:05

Hmmm, Research it which breaks every other week because the underlying web resource changes, place markers?  I believe there is an NVDA add-in that provides them.  Excel row and column headers?  NVDA has those too and they are easy to set up for multiple sheet regions as of the last update.  Word index?  Does anyone use that? 

JFW has one really cool and configurable tool in its skim reading dialogue that NVDA doesn't share.  It also has better specialized scripted support for some programs like Sonar, Skype and now QuickBooks.

So, for some particular users, there is a sufficient case to be made for using JFW.  It's not worth the price tag in my use case even to keep up on the SMA, but I can see the possibility.  But NVDA is a far more robust competitor than you might think, based on the dismissive tone of post 23.

2014-09-15 20:46:29

Afrim, do you think Linux is a real competitor to Windows? That Android is a viable competitor to iOS? I'm talking in the mainstream arena here not accessibility since those are the main markets for those products. Sure there are downsides whichever way you go but being free doesn't necessarily make something worthless.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.