2014-09-13 02:39:48

There are some cool cane forms in one of the northern Shaolin styles that I studied a long time back, though they use a walking cane about two feet, 60 CM long with a crook.

2014-09-13 03:11:21

@assault_freak:
Yup, what you said is right. But it's also good for anyone who doesn't expect much about marshall art except just enjoy it. And for the swordsmanship you ask, it's Thai style swordsmanship, which I've been trained from my friend a bit along with marshall arts. My friend is a marshall art student, but she seems way stronger than her teacher. I think you'd like to fight with her if you have a chance to meet. Haha, just jk.

PS. You know what? Blind old style walking stick, that straight one which you can't reduce its length, is best suits you if you wanna learn the basics of weapon, or even swordsmanship.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2014-09-13 03:44:02

I don't know much about Thai swordsmanship... but I can speak a lot for the Japanese style having studied it. Canes made in the west couldn't be used to teach much... they're usually too light and too filmsy. But a walking cane like the one themadviolinist described is more likely to be used in a style. Though I think if you really wanted to use one of the straight canes we used today, even one that doesn't fold, the bo staff would be the closest style since the staff is longer than the average cane but is similar in diameter. And lol about me fighting your friend... I wouldn't dare. I've had experience, but I prefer to keep my fights limitted to free, no rules sparring for fun and learning rather than competition. Unless I got into a style seriously again that had competition as a staple. lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-09-13 06:17:09

Haha, this gives me an idea again, Assault.
What about making blind fighting contest, or sparring competition?:)

I'm not sure about that chinese staff. Of course it must be really good for training, but if we, or you, or even me, can't seem to get one, the walking stick I suggest might be the best choice. At least the first weapon I've practiced is my own walking stick, which is now broken because of a dam car.

Oh god, you make me feel really into fighting. I have to fight today, with someone!

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2014-09-13 07:02:56

No... simply for a couple reasons. One, it'd be a challenge finding a set of rules for a sparring competition with blind and visually impaired people... and two, many blind people can't afford to travel all over for things like that. It would be a fun idea, but not a practical one... nor one I see happening any time soon. In the distant future, who knows...

Again, I would never train with my cane. I need it for mobility... not for fighting. The cane makes a horrible martial arts weapon... because it breaks easily, and even if you defended yourself in a fight, having no mobility aid to get away quickly does more harm than good, as I've already said.

Not quite sure how to feel about that last sentence... if you're serious about studying martial arts, you should know that it's not about getting into fights with people. That is contrary to 90% of the styles I know where the idea is to be good to others... not to fight whenever you like.

2014-09-13 07:34:36

Good word man, good word! I'll go downstairs and grab my flute, hammer my head hundred times with it. Don't worry, I've done that before when I was 7, though not as hard as it sounds like. Haha, everyone in this forum might think that I'm a freaking strange person for now.:)
What about finding a hard wood and use it as a club instead of your cane? oh yeah, let's grab one and count how many time you can swing in 1 minute.:d

Thinking of the blind sparring contest, again. Blind and visually impaired people must be seperated. It's just about one can see and one can't, so it's fair enough to seperate them in 2 groups. And for the number 2 reason, of course they won't be started by telling people around the world to take a flight in one place and join, but it must be from school or group, and city or state, then country, then the world.

2014-09-13 08:13:37

Mata, honestly I don't think you are strange, but perhaps you have an aggressive way of having fun. At Assaultfreak, completely agree with you man.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-09-13 12:31:50

Haha, Harimor's right. I'm so agressive, but not hostile. At least I'm not like Scrach from we're alive (if you guys ever heard of this potcast, I think you do).
Seriously, what do you all think of weapons blind people can use?

2014-09-13 17:41:37

Don't quite understand your question. blind people can use any weapon the same as anyone else provided you learn how. I've trained in Japanese swordsmanship for almost two years, and could probably have a decent sparring session with anyone, though I wouldn't want to use bokken... those things hurt, man!

2014-09-14 15:47:57

First rule of Blind Fight Club, get a good lawyer.

2014-09-14 16:08:21

Love it! and totally agreed!