2014-09-04 17:09:43

Hello all.  I am learning BGT and me and my brother are thinking of writing a version of risk.  Maybe adding a way to mod it too.  I would like some incite into how i can program the board or if it would be too complex.  I don't see it being to hard but would love your feedback.

2014-09-04 20:11:18

I don't know Risk. What's this game about? May be I can help you with my BGT knowledge? I don't know, just a thought to know what the game is like.

2014-09-04 22:04:25

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've played risk or used BGT. But hopefully this helps a little.

You could have a class called country with the following properties:
name of country
connected countries (as in an array of the countries that can be reached from this country)
current owner (as in the player who the country currently belongs to, if any)
army size (number of soldiers occupying the country, if there are different kinds of soldiers or something, you'll have to do this a little differently. Maybe a dictionary?)

Sorry about not giving you any code, but I really can't remember much BGT. I can't remember the rules of risk exactly, but hopefully this is cloce enough to give you an idea.

You could have the player select a country, and then have a menu of all the connected countries which they could choose from to move around the map. Does that make sense?

2014-09-05 00:06:38

hey roro, its a game like time of conflict if you've played that except instead of towns your dealing with countries.  Also the rules can be quite different.  In risk when you attack someone you roll dice to see who wins a fight one soldier against another.  So say i have 2 soldiers and you have one then I would roll 2 dice and you would roll one but if your value for your one dye was higher than the values for each of my 2 dice your guy would win.  Hope that helps give you some idea.  And to the second poster i don't know if menus to select countries would be a good idea but its something i will keep in mind for sure as it may be my only solution.  I like the country class idea though because it will work.

2014-09-05 00:39:07

that or you could position countries on a grid, only those in grid cells exactly 1 unit away could be traveled to.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-09-06 06:20:51

true i could do that.  hmm i think some countries you can't get to directly so i need to figure out how to block those off and make the player go around to attack it.

2014-09-06 10:26:45

Bigdog, generally you would want to create your Risk board by using a 2d array. That way you could have actual squares just like the actual board. Then, you could fill the array with the map of the board, and use your 2d array to determine weather or not a move is legal etc.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-07 05:09:01

awesome!  Glad to have your input tward as i thought of doing the 2 d aray for the board.  Could i juust block certain cells off which would force the player to go around on a designated by the board design itself?