2014-09-03 08:25:57

As the topic subject says, I've been on the Lost souls mud for a good while.  And I know there was a topic a while back about this, but I rather not summon up old topics.  So time for impressions.

Lost Souls is a mud where you can truly customize a character for your own.  Pick your race, pick your colors, pick your starting stats, modify your skills for a bit, your homeland, your ethics and alignment, your dominant hand (unless ambidexterous) and name and gender.  however, this is where the point most other muds would tell you pick a class and then tell you to continue.  And then your character would be set for the rest of the game most likely.  here however, your customization does not end.  In all honesty, your customization can continue for your character's existence outside of just your stats.   

You do not start in a special class you pick, you end up at the adventurer's guild.  With random starting equipment and a pet, you wander off wondering what to do.  directionless and confused, you have now entered a mud that would simulate an actual fantasy world, no hand holding in place...well then there's the ooc channel.  Normally players are helpful enough to give directions ranging from xp or gold running to how to make your character.  And the wiki helps with knowing what you need, and where the guild is.  You do what you must and then decide to do some weapon training with one of the main weapons a guild you want to join probably uses.  You are most likely in losthaven, getting your sword, dagger, spear, hammer, shield, axe, or whatever weapon you want to use, walk up to a normal rat under the town...and proceed to spend 2 minutes trying to hit it.  And considering how hard rats are to hit in real life as they tend to chase after you, you get a feel on how this mud is going to turn out.  You eventually get good enough to consistently hit an extremely dodgy enemy as your skills improve....which leads to another function:

Skills are another customizable part of your character.  At first you are not able to get your skills up more as it works on a specialty access system.  you use spec points to raise the upper cap of a skill for you to train to, and your spec points are only limited by your stat points.  every 10 points equal one spec point for that stat.  So 180 str would lead to 18 str points to use to increase access in any str skills.  (though I think there might be a change that allows you to use spare spec points form other stats to let you increase one, but probably t a higher cost like 2 points of str for an int spec point).  So your characters skills are dpendent on your stats for more then just how wel your stat modifies that skills function, it allows that skill to go up higher.

combat is a much more complicated affair then your normal everyone gets a round of combat and maybe the second/third/fourth attack kicks in.  you have a speed stat that acts as an activity point meter.  Every action, ranging from a hit from your weapon, to a parry and dodge, to activate certain powers uses up activity points.  So then you may end up with a situation where for some reason your only doing one attack when your opponent does 4 that hit, and realize it does not hurt much.  but if this continues, you'll die before th emob does.  combat modes are then used to judge what you do in combat, being defensive to offensive, to going completely berserk, to putting yourself in a mode to wait for the best hits possible.  This judging what you do more of, attacking or blocking/dodging.  As well as the ability to aim at certain body parts   There's actualy many things that can cause combat to be different depending on guild and associations.

And going off body parts, the hp of your char is separated into your limbs and head.  Your hands, arms, legs, feet, body, head, tenticals, bodymass, your other head, your tail, that third head you somehow have, your random appendage on your body, and so on, with probably plans to extend this to stuff down to fingers, ears and possibly vital organs.  When a body part hits 0, it's disabled  (your head leading to instant death).  If your chest hits below 0, you start bleeding out, eventually leading to death, but letting you try to flee and heal up before that occurs.  If a limb hits to the inverse of its max (100 hp arm going down to -100), depending on method of damage, it can be sliced, smashed, or stabbed of and can be sown back on by vivsectors, to being obliterated from existence in various and sometimes brutal ways.  (decayd away by entropy, burnt to ashes, somehow turned into air, dissolved by acid and various other acidic materials, eaten by ooze, rotted by disease, and for one comedic time when using a certain enchanted arrow, causing it to vanish from existence do to it being so worthless to exist).  So you can try going for the head for quick kills, but if the mob is too dodgy for that, and the body seems like a lot, you can try disabling the legs to reduce dodging, maybe cut off an arm to prevent parries, and then go for the head on a crippled mob.  And mobs can do the same back, don't worry smile

there's probably a lot more to go over, but this post is getting long.  One thing I want to mention are guilds and associations.  Guilds are far from your standard fighter, mage, thief cleric affairs.  You can range to being a follower of true order, using his god's might to create armor and weapons, and summon down the power of order, unholy followers looking for the death of life of the goo dand ordered (reapers, though they are getting a rewrite to turn into genocidal battle necromancers using necromancy in offensive ways and physical combat, wiping out all uncivilized life on the lands),  a few guilds that allows bonding to an animal familiar, where each different animal provides different specialty access and skills and spells to use, mages of fire and its components, along with mages of the weather and chaos, drunken bar fighters that enjoy rending foes limb from limb, quite literally, and many, many others.   As well, associations that provide other benefits to go with your guild, from masters of various languages, a garbage cleanup service with benefits, followers of some religions, and many others.   What guilds and associations provide, beside skills and spells, are specialty access to skills and bonuses.  Acess is essentially how far someone can take the skills before they reach a limit.  This is outside of spec points as that decides the number of points to allocate, access provides the main limit.  Spec bonus places spec points automatically, without using up a spec point, letting you free up spec points, or taking it higher. 

these are just the basics.  And barely scratching the surface of what there is to experience.  However, the mian complaint I see from the previous thread was there was no direction/newbie school.  This usually caused people to not have any idea how to begin.  This info provided was to give you points of interest to search in the help files for much more indepth info.  The mud is hard yes.  I had trouble at the beginning and left the mud for a bit after a spectacular fail.  but you have to come to this mud with the realization that you are no different from a mob.  What you can do, there's a mob that can also do it, and most likely be better at it.  And then there are those who can do stuff, that you can never hope to dream to do, but fall under limits where you can dodge, block, prevent, or backfire upon a mob s mob special attacks fall under a certain stat and skill formula most likely  (unlike othe rmuds like altar where a spec is usually an unblockable instant affair).   Knowing this, your mission is to be the best mob, err invidiual you can be amongst orcs, humans, dragons, animated constructs, and even the gods themselves (though gods don't die, they just lose their physical form for a while before returning back to normal.  Though this does screw over e.l.f invocations as they rely on a live god to provide benefits.  From character creation, to your time at lv 50, to lv 100, to...idling as one of the players who managed to get themselves past lv 400, you can always customize you rcharacter in one way or another, always improving through your own ability and not just through equipment.  hell, theres  players who find fighting naked with their bare fists...or claws, as a viable way to run through an area. 

This  mud is far different from the many stock muds out there.  It tries to be unique in various ways, and manages it, from your character design, to how you approach the world  You can be the smartest person in the world, but if your character is not smart enough or well versed in what a language, a material, or what a living being is, it reflects it.  And once you get through the difficult sections of the mud, reach to the point where you walked up to something like Azozoth or abhoth, and took them down, you have done something few players have ever managed to do.  The takedown of a brutally hard mob feels like an accomplishment, especially when you have situations where multiple people have trie and failed when new content is put on-line.  It' is hard, but the satisfaction if accomplished is great.

And because this is a long post, connection info on the next post.

2014-09-03 08:39:25

the connection info:  lostsouls.org  Port: 23

As well, I've noticed my favorite guilds usually involved necromancy in one way or another.  My main is a reaper, who uses right now unholy powers to rend apart foes while slash them down with the most powerful pole arm int he game, or a decently power sickle for smaller races, using necromancy to sacrifice to your god more effectively and damage boost on the spells.  the rewrite however makes it into something I wish more muds with necro classes let you do.  Instead of being the guy who throws around spells, hiding behind an army of minions, you use necromancy to do things from causing mortally wounded foes to violently explode with entropic damage,  nailing other mobs with the former essence of their commrad, to a joke suggestion I kind of made about using body parts to fill with necromantic energy and throwing them like grenades into other room being considered. 
   I also enjoyed a new char I tried using a carrian bird charm.  This is more of your standard necromancer, being able to summon undead, which consists of a fly made of entropic energy that passes through beings, undead hellhounds, and shrieking ghosts doing sonic damage among others.  Along with buffs from a happy orbiting eye unleashing a portal from hell onto your foes, an enchanted gem using the stem of a Pegasus, and my favorite: enchanting arrows with entropy and darkness at the last skill to cause normal arrows to explode.  (yes, necromancer archers)

Others thing I enjoyed were spider monkey bonds (martial artistry), brutes, and the weather mages.   

if anyone who wants to try out the mud, we can use this thread for help or your own experiences.

2014-09-03 16:22:40

Interesting that someone else has found this.
Lost Souls is on my things that every prospective game designer, especially online game designers, should play.  It can range from absurdly simple to bloody complicated, depending on race/guild/associations, and it's done things that are literally impossible to do on top of anything that's not a custom mudlib.  It will grab hours of your time if you can get past the Newbie stages and can figure out the world map (which I take credit for making accessible).
But it is also a game wherein one can see the pitfalls of being world-oriented instead of player-oriented.  People either love Lost Souls or hate it, without much middle ground.  It does not do things "for the convenience of the player", has no newbie tutorial, etc.  Lost souls lets you do insanely over the top stuff (people used to be able to wield a clock tower, if their character was big enough, there's 4-dimensional space, guilds that let you summon eldrich abominations).  The saving grace is that the people are helpful to newbies; the lesson is that this is not how to make a game if you're looking for large numbers of players, because it's decidedly not casual and decidedly not to everyone's taste.
But I think everyone should try it at least once.  You will never, ever find another game like it, for as long as muds exist and have existed.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-09-03 17:28:19

I actually kind of enjoy the word oriented view on the mud instead of player oriented.  In most other muds, your usually led along to your quest in fame for glory, killing something said to be emensly powerful and deadly, and then killing it in 3-4 rounds and being harolded a hero by the people of that area, een though your pretty sure if a band of them got together, they could of easily handled the threat on their own.  in lost souls, if something is dangerous and left alone, it's because no one amongst them is able to take down the threat as it is actually difficult and dangerous.  This is sort of displayed with town raids.   Sometimes an area gets invaded by a group of mobs looking to cause havoc and destruction around the place.  (Which gets awkward when your starting in losthaven, and wonder what the monstrous multi-eyestocked floating thing is doing in a group of them and it's minion before you get beamed down.)  (yes, did happen to a char I wanted to test out and just stepped out of the adventurer's guild)   When a raid occurs, usually the guards are on the seen, and unlike most muds, the guards are an actual threat to the raiders most of the time depending on area and raider.  (However, pretty much all of the raids can take down the Stillwater guard force there, cackle).  The guards run in, do what they do, and try to take ddown the danger, usually being successful.  For those times they are dying by the dozen and the mobs still tromp around the area, players in some of the  guard assocs, wandslinger assoc, or just wandering by can try to help out and take down a threat many of the residents have tried to defeat and failed.   Here you can get an actual feel of feeling as if you were truly powerful, and getting an award for helping out, either through promotions from the assorts associations, ka for wandslingers, or just the assorted eq on the corpses of the area.]]]   

Also when yu start off as weak as you are in Lost souls, and progression to greatness comes gradually, you don't have that expectation that you should be able to kill everything and everyone like I see in some playerbases.  The devs don't make a mob for it to be difficult to kill, they expect their mob to be extraordinarily difficult to defeat, verging on unstoppable, which consider the reputation in game of the few mobs on the land, is realistic.  When you make it too easy at the bginning, letting players easily trounce through all the mobs in an area, and then they reach the point of the game they have to fight a 100 ft giant hell dragon thing, they have the expectation of being able to kill it with a bit more effort like the previous 4 foot demon thing earlier, maybe putting on a bit of saves and then just spamming something until it somehow dies in a tick or two.  And then when something is extraordinarily hard, people whine they cannot solo a group mob.   Losing that, people know if something has a reputation of being hard, it is going to require a lot more preparation to fight and take down, usually employing new tricks or unusual strategies to prevent yourself let's say, being hit by someone's powerful invocations.  You see them use their hand to  aim and point at you, but the fight would take too long to go at the mob's body or head befor eyou would have to run and heal.  You then go for aiming at his arm or hand if you have the skill to hit a target like that and chop it off.  There, no more of that spell.   Then you have stuff like the new aricol who an pumble you down with necromantic unarmed attacks, spew out blasts of elemental forces from his hands, do a lot of the things a ringwraith can do, and now has a primal area attack, which if wondering what that means, he blasts everyone with essentially the purist form of energy, the very essence of it which is not resisted by many things or at all.  And even veteran players die spectacularly to these actual threats to the overall mainland.  There's even comedic logs ont he wiki for the player vs npc portion. 

I just like the world view as something a lot more realistic to your pc char overall, as he or she or it is no different rom mobs of that race.  You have to forge your difference out and try to strive upwards instead already being that special something form the getgo.  but I can see how it is not for casual players.  I thinkt he threat of randomly being subjected to the daily lives of the mobs, form random raids, to fling into a roaming dragon can get discouraging, especialy if you do not hae a lot of time and cannot get your stuff back.  Though those of the more serious or especially the hardcore types would enjoy the difficulty and reward of starting with a directionless land and working your way upwards, figuring out where to go and what to train, and asking others.

2014-09-03 17:57:32

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad. I'm saying that it's different enough and not casual enough to attract, say, 90% or even 50% of the available player pool.

My Blog

2014-09-03 19:26:21

this looks like a very challenging yet utterly insane/fantastic place to try.  You can bet I'll give it a shot.

2014-09-04 05:37:21

lol, the talk of wandslinger raids reminded me of a very memorable experience.

I was playing on my Pixie ELF. Elf, stands for Erisian Liberation Front,  is a guild where the only power you have is the ability to invoke gods for aid.  For example Cthulhu might blast your opponents with blasts of psychic energy, or giving you one of his servants.  Anyway, I joined the Losthaven guard!
I was there for a few weeks before getting promotions, and when the commander of Losthaven promoted me, I felt prouder than I ever have for reaching a certain extremely high level on another game, or killing an extremely powerful mob.  Just the fact that I was attached to these npc's for so long defending my home, and being congratulated and praised by the commander was a really awesome experience.

Of course when I was forced to leave the Losthaven Guard because of some trouble with other associations, I was really sad for a couple of days.  I did, however manage to become a commanding officer in that time!

This brings me to another point.  As stated above, you are no different from an npc.  You can die just as easily as they can, you can join guilds and so can they, you can level, and again so can they.  The main difference is that you have lives, and they don't.
There is probably more I'm forgetting to say, but If I remember, I will say it tomorrow. 
@camlorn I remember you were having a lot of trouble with the game a few months ago.  Did you ever figure things out?

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2014-09-04 05:48:40

One more thing.  LS has a really awesome psionics system.

Some races have the extremely high possibility of acquiring a psychic talent.  These talents range from the ability to telepathically communicate with beings, to boiling the blood of your victims. 
If you are a psychic race, (usually the less magical races), you have a higher chance of acquiring a talent.  The talent you will get depends on the skills you currently have.  For example, a person with very high linguistic abilities may get something like mindspeaker, while a person with Fire affinity may get the firestarter talent.
Anyway, after you acquire a talent, you're not told what it is.  You simply are notified with a message like, "You experience a strange, dizzying sensation of expansion within yourself, with bizarre, fleeting
imaginings rushing through your mind.  Your philosophical insight seems to have unlocked some kind
of hidden potential within you, expanding your mind in some mysterious way."

After this, you have a period of time where you have the talent, but you need to pop (activate) it.   The way popping a talent works is actually pretty awesome.  If you were to say get the firestarter talent, whenever you were set on fire, you may have a chance of popping that talent.  If you see someone that's injured, you may pop the psychic healer talent, etc.

As you move to proceed outward, something stirs strangely deep in your mind, and suddenly you
find yourself moving very, very far outward indeed, hurtling through the very fabric of the
cosmos.
somewhere in the Exoma [in, n, nd, nu]
    You see an elektros and a bright green-spotted dark blue hermaphroditic pyx.
You realize that your latent psychic wild talent is that of a planeswalker.

Anyway, enough rambling for me tonight.  If anyone decides to try the game and has questions, send toottoot a tell, that's the name of my primary character.

2014-09-04 07:37:33 (edited by brad 2014-09-04 08:33:41)

Hi.
I'm a little annoyed.
I've just started out. and haven't even created my first character yet.
I set my password, and email adress and validate my atmin acount.
But when it comes to setting my date of birth I get this message: you don't have any incarnoi.

The game refuses to let me set my date of birth and I can't create a character without doing that.
Is this a bug with the game?
/edit/ I've figgured it out. you  press B and not D. Hmm this really should have been mentioned in the setup screen.

I'm not playing the mud anymore since muds really aren't my kind of thing. I'm going tostop playing muds for now.
/edit/

I'm gone for real :)

2014-09-04 22:15:39 (edited by camlorn 2014-09-04 22:15:59)

I don't remember my specific problems.  My playing strategy for that game is best summarized as follows: find nearly impossible combinations, play them, get frustrated, repeat until bored.  Then I leave for a few months.
But the truth is that I don't Mud anymore anyway.  My programming projects are more interesting.  After mudding for years and years, its' just not worth it anymore.

My Blog

2014-09-05 02:46:54

If you look at one thing while playing lost souls, read the wiki article below.

http://wiki.lostsouls.org/Shoggoth

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-09-05 04:59:02

Lol yeah I don't think I've ever seen a race with that many features on any mud before.

2014-09-05 19:52:39

Ugh, so many unnecessary invented words.  If you replaced most of them with their english equivalent, it would be a lot easier to understand, and probably a lot less interesting.

2014-09-05 23:22:14

Actually I managed to learn all of the  words I needed in about a day.  It just looks like weird english to me now, and everyone thinks I'm weird when I talk about it;  They can't understand anything I'm saying.

2014-09-06 00:45:19

How much more Lovecraftian can it get? (Not a criticism.)

This is one MUD I have been meaning to dive into.

Side note: I found the article Chaos wrote where Dentin was interviewed. It was an interesting piece. I wonder what questions (if any) were left on the cutting room floor?

Allen Sale
Executive Producer
Astral Audio Entertainment

2014-09-06 01:29:50

Hahaha, I don't know if ls has drawn more from discordian writings or lovecraft and the cthulhu mythos.
I Iagree, that article was pretty interesting, especially since I am on both muds quite often.

2014-09-06 08:03:12

Seems to be a mix of both, the discordians get an association and a few guilds, and the Lovecraft stuff has a playable race, and a lot of mobs from the mythos.  You can even meet Mother Hydr and father Dagon  (or be attacked if your not a shog or urlnu), and even the Big C himself...err...itself. 

I'm not sure, even if the names were made into something with English varriants, the race's abilities would not be interesting.  Where else can you continue to modify a race by just absorbing your defeated foes and growing, causing limbs, organs, and abilities to appear on your body with just that downside of not having exact senses.  It is still amazing English or made name.  A lot of the races are a lot more animated and different compared to other muds that provide them, and this is just going past stats.  things get interesting when your playing as a tiny fragile pixie, towards a large mighty dragon, and the odd bezhuldaar (eye beam machine gunner anyone?)  the shapeshifter guild even gives an example on how a lot of races, mainly the more beastial one's, and dragon/bez/shog included, can stand on their own without a class.  Now if you tried to throw a regular human out there in the mix, we'll await here to watch your eventual death(s)

2014-09-06 08:35:33

I always try this game and get really confused, even though it seems pretty awesome. I manage to kill some rats maybe but thats about it, then I just sort of wander. Can't get a race and guild and the like.

2014-09-07 02:53:54

sounds like you went in with the default character they give you on sign up.  What you need to do is quit back to your atmin menu and pick create character and say no to starting with a default one.  then just mess with the options to pick race, sex, colors, handedness, attributes, and so on.  Guilds however need to be researched on finding where to join. 

or newbie suggestions, the P.O.E, brute squad, and a lot of the animal bonds int he V.V are some good starting ones that can take you far.

The P.O.E involve going to the Temple of Discordia that's northeastish of losthaven and sacrificing some stuff to get a chaos amulet to go under.  Once there just say pledge me to the (insert long name of guild here) which can be seen by infoing the mobs down there for the syntax, and wha-lah, youc an now channel chaos into things for varied results of healing yourself, to making your enemies painfully die.

The Brute Squad are also the Temple of Discordia, but in the courtyard.  Being neutral/chaotic will work to join.  ask him about joining the brute Squad, and go to the bar at the temple and by a bloody mad martigan.  Give it to him and wha-lah, your in the guild.  I recommend something with high str and constitution, and with something marked as excellent natural weaponry like  yeti or dracon.

The v.V are joined by doing the riddle quest at a dragon at around 17, 145,  global and doing the riddles of the dragon.  Go through all of them and ask for a boon and crush/mix the dust into water.  Take the potion to a tree at around -30, 22 or so global (just run north and south until you see a large oak tree as an object in he room) and pour tree on potion.  now that you contributed to the saving of nature, you can go to a cabin at  -15, 7, 0 and join the guild.  Finding a proper animal and what stats you need and skills is another story, but everything can be found in the wiki.

2014-09-07 06:41:47

@dentin
I kind of agree on the words, a little.  But only a little.  I'm not sure which have English equivalents to be replaced; this is not something I noticed myself.
@AstralAudio:
What article?  Can you post a link?
@baruch
It is fair to mention at this point that throwing out your first 5 or 6 characters is to be expected.  Fortunately, you can have many at a time.  Figuring out what works takes a little while and, if you're like me, you then intentionally leave it for stuff that makes other muds look like cake.  But that's my preference, and by no means shared.
The wiki is your best bet: quest solutions, a few newbie guides, info on abilities of all races and guilds, etc.

My Blog

2014-09-07 08:32:49

I believe this is the article he meant.
http://journal.imaginary-realities.com/ … index.html

2014-09-11 02:31:43

One thing I haven't figured out: Which races are a good starting point if you want to become a Reaper? Also, the temple location has me stymied.

Allen Sale
Executive Producer
Astral Audio Entertainment

2014-09-12 03:07:14

For a race, you generally want one with rounded stats all around as reapers require specs in nearlya ll of them:  str for massive blow and more damage, dex for pole arm ability and faster hits, but that's always a given, con for hp and entropy affinity/regeneration access that you unlock, willpower for unholy taint/channeling/centering, charisma for invocation, and perception for killer instinct.  One race I went with that had decent stats in all of these was minotaur, but they have the disadvantage of being large.  Which means its harder to dodge as them and sometimes it gets quite annoying to find stuff that fits as you will have to resize stuff via  puzzling with a player who knows the spell, and have a portable hole to sacrifice.  look at the starting race list ont he wiki, and see what chars have decent points in all stats, around the starting aange  where you can get between 80 or above all stats.    I know for my minotaur that her dex was low at the start, but I just got the 10 levels from the dragon quest and spent it on dex. 

the guild hall is at 168, -220, 2) global.  or if you want the region.  it's in Quetlatl, at (6,23,2)

What you need to do is first, make yourself d/c from char creation and have set willpower to 80 or above, and try to obtain a method of flight, get funds for a ring of flight or something and resize if needed.  or have a person get a pair of boots of flight.  then, kill something.  Get the corpse and take it to the reaper's guild hall, and go all north.  Sacrifice corpse and your in, getting a free scythe while your at it that will never leave you, even if you die.  the scythe will appear in your inventory again.

2014-09-12 05:14:23

Perhaps I should play this again.  I'm surprised this thread lasted this long or attracted this many people.

My Blog

2014-09-12 19:58:05

The problem with ls isn't attracting people.  The problem is keeping them after they've joined.  Most don't realize how complex it does get.  But it does get a lot easier.