2014-09-01 15:14:24

I have played Alter Aeon and swamp among other audio based games. The more I think about it, what would virtual reality mean to each of us. What would it take to create a virtual world that each of us takes part in and what will it look like? Will it take form in a way that looks a lot like the holodeck off of star trek? What brings this up is listening to them on the "this week in tech" show talking about the Oculus Rift thing some and I got to thinking that it would be nice to have something like that in the blind community. Another thing that comes to mind is the whole google glass thing, but that is more of an overlay to what you seeing around you. Think heads up display. Any thoughts? Don't just restrict this to games. If you think it could be useful in other areas, let's talk about it...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-09-01 22:40:53

I've heard a little about the Oculous Rift and what it can do. It sounds amazing. That should be Aprone's next project; create an Oculous Rift that incorperates audio and cutting-edge smell transmitting technology. He already has the See Monkey. Just take that about fifty steps farther.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-09-01 22:53:21

I want something that would render the world in 16 bit super metroid stile graphics. I'd be able to get about so much easier. tongue

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2014-09-02 07:54:39

The term for what Google Glass does is augmented reality and it has a lot of exciting applications, unfortunately conveying that to us is rather more difficult especially without it compromising our ability to hear dangers in our surroundings. You could argue that a talking GPS is a form of augmented reality of course, though the current solutions either have no digital compass at all or don't align it to your physical facing which would be a very nice next step. It'd be expensive but adding a digital compass to some bone conduction headphones like the Aftershokz could be rather interesting since it could reliably tell which direction you're head is turned at least, even if not which way you're facing.

Virtual reality is actually a lot simpler for us than sighted people, take some 5.1 headphones like the Roccat Cave I use and couple it with some kind of tracker for which way your head is facing. Not doing this can in sighted people lead to nausea so I imagine it could do likewise with us, as well as just making things much easier. Combine this with some form of controller, be it a keyboard, trackball or gamepad and you've got the most basic elements. Adding in haptick feedback would be incredibly, incredibly useful though not technically necessary.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-02 23:35:30

Hi Guys.
Interesting topic. Well it would be really cool if we could play audiogames in virtual reality. Can you imagine playing swamp in vr? That would be awesome instead of controlling a character on your computer you are the character. You walk around, kill zombies, pick up items, explore new maps, and all that. That would be a lot of fun.
But we could also use virtual reality to learn how to navigate new places. Like if we were going to a new store we could just load it up on our computer explore the store see what it's like and then when we are really there we know exactly where we need to go. It would be nice to have something like the holodeck since we would have freedom of movement and places to explore. I've wanted something like virtual reality for years since it could help millions of people sighted and blind.
You got that right Cinnamon vr should definitly be Aprone's next project lol.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-09-02 23:39:42

The main barrier to the holodeck is the fact that holograms can't be touched and produce no sound. It's possible to use speakers embedded in the walls but unless someone comes up with some very, very clever tricks it'll be hard to make it sound exactly like its coming from the object which we won't be able to touch anyway since a hologram is an image made of light. Star Trek justified this with some explanation involving force fields and replicators, which even if they're possible we're nowhere near them and they may not work in a way which would permit their use in a holodeck.

It's a great idea but so many things from fiction are.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-03 01:04:29

Replicators are pretty close to being a reality methinks, what with 3-d printing advancing by leaps and bounds the way it is. True, we're not at the stage of literally creating objects out of thin air, but then nobody said that any real counterpart to a fictional device works exactly as depicted in the fictional setting, right? I think the one book that has truly depicted virtual reality in an awesome and believable way is Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. Highly recommended read for anyone that loves believable science fiction and has a love for 80's era computer games and culture in general.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2014-09-03 03:58:03

Wow Locutus. I heard about this book a while back I really need to read it. Also for another good story about virtual reality read tad williams's otherland series.
@Cx2 you could create some type of glove that would give you the sense of touching a wall or object. And yes speakers to play the correct sounds during a simulation would be awesome!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-09-03 06:18:45

Ready Player One is beast. If you feel like shelling out for the commercial version, Will wheaton reads it. So much awesome.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2014-09-03 06:22:52

Someone really ought to make a movie of that book. Or at least a good solid audio drama. Can you imagine all the awesome ear candy such a project would offer?

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2014-09-03 07:00:47

Gloves could provide some feedback but even a full body suit would struggle to provide the resistance offered by say a real physical wall.

The replicator thing is more because in Trek replicators and transporters are very, very similar meaning that objects which need to be created in the holodeck are replicated in place and then recycled as needed which a 3D printer couldn't achieve. In particular this would be things like food and drink but could also extend to smells, as well as liquids and gooey substances leaving a residue on you after contact. Imagine how strange it would be to dip your hand in water and take it out only for it to be bone dry, or to touch some mud without having some left on your hand. Sometimes this would be a good thing but sometimes it would break the immersion considerably.

cx2
-----

2014-09-03 17:40:10

hello, how are you guys expected to still play games if all the pc games turn to vr games? it's possible for people with enough rest vision, but what about fokes who are totally blind? they would never be able to play games any more, unless the pc would stay as it is and wouldn't turn into something completely inaccessable. I mean if we're talking startreck with voice input an output for the computers, that'd be great but how do you expect to play games like swamp or rtr in a vertual reality? like in swamp. how as a blind person do you expect to kill a zombie? and you couldn't really have the radars because the radars are a help to blind gamers. Then the matter of nollage comes to mind. I'm one of the people who has never fired a gun. the closest I've ever fired do a gun is a bow, so your weapon usage for games with guns would be rather limmited, unless you'd learn how to fire a gun.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-09-03 18:39:31

For many various reasons I pointed out and some I haven't I don't think true full VR is on the cards any time soon, even if it were available not all gamers would want it. Sure it sounds cool but do you really want to feel the physical exertion?

cx2
-----

2014-09-04 04:42:52

Regarding tactile holograms (... holotouch? Hlohaptics?), Disney has it covered, sort of. They kinda explain how it works, but not the limits of what it can and cannot simulate (Presumably, it doesn't do walls).

While trying to refind Aerial, I found the very similarly-named Aerial3d for visual holograms (which are imperfect, naturally).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.