2014-08-30 17:20:07

Hello there everyone,
I have a few questions on speech synthesizers, text to speech and SAPI:
1. Can we use the SAPI5 version of Microsoft Sam, Mike and Marry on windows7 instead of the SAPI4 ones?
2. Is there other speech synthesizers that can sing other than DecTalk and Laquendo? I know Eloquence can, but it doesn't seem to sing fluently.
3. Is there a 64-bit version of willow pond tts speak window? I have a 64-bit windows7 machine only and I would really like to give this a try, since it sounds so fun. Can anyone help me with this?
4. I also heard Microsoft Marry, Mike and Sam sing. Can anyone show me how to make them sing?
5. Can we use other voices available in Microsoft's SAPI4 engine containing Microsoft Mike, Marry and Sam with SAPI5? What I mean is the robo soft voices, the Microsoft Marry-Mike-Sam in space-hall-stadium etc ones.
6. Can we use SAPI4 voices with JAWS13 64 bit on a windows7 machine? I saw a detect SAPI4 synthesizers button in the voice adjustment dialogue box, so I thought I would ask.
7. Why does the SAPI5 version of DecTalk sound so different from the original?
That's all right now. I'll ask here if I have more questions. Thanks a lot!

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-08-30 18:02:18

Hello Kenzon.
Well I don't think you can use sapi 4 voices on windows 7 since I never got it to work. But you can download the sapi4 engine for nvda and use the voices like that. I've never tried using synthesizer voices with jaws but I would go ahead and try it. Maybe if you have the sapi4 engine installed and select different voices for jaws it will output to sam or mike properly.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-08-30 18:07:53 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-08-30 18:09:54)

Hello,
What about the XP version of Microsoft Sam, Marry and Mike? Can we use those on windows7? Also can someone answer my other questions in post 1? Thank you!
EDIT: OK, now I have another question: can we use real speak solo voices on SAPI5 for windows7? And if it is possible, can anyone give me those as well? Especially Semantha, Tom and Daniel please?

2014-08-30 18:16:41

1. I don't think so, those voices use a different version of sapi so won't work on windows 7
5. I don't think so, or at least I didn't find any and I searched quite a lot
7. Dectalk sapi 5 is based on dectalk version 4.6.1 I beleive, and I presume you mean version 4.3 when you talk about the original. Speak 4.6.1, 4.6.4 and fonix talk version 6 can be found in the dectalk bittorrent sink folder (fonix talk is based on dectalk).
As for your other questions, I don't know

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2014-08-31 03:38:14

Ah, that explains quite a lot. It's a shame though that Microsoft Sam, Marry and Mike didn't work on windows7. I really like there voices while playing games and stuff. Thanks.

2014-08-31 04:54:09

Hi Kenzon.
No it is impossible to use those voices on windows 7 since sapi5 only uses microsoft anna or espeak.
And it's no loss you can't use sam lol. He sounds like an old man at the bottom of a garbage can. He can hardly say simple words properly. But your right mary and mike were sure great I wish they would bring them back. Also I think if you purchase the realspeak voices they will output properly.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-08-31 07:44:49

Kenzon Yeoh, okay below I have created a question and answer reply to your message in post 1 as best I can answer them.

1. Can we use the SAPI5 version of Microsoft Sam, Mike and Marry on windows7 instead of the SAPI4 ones?

Absolutely not. Those versions of Mike, Mary, and Sam were specifically designed for Sapi 5.1, and Windows 7 comes with Sapi 5.4. So they are no longer compatible with the current implementation of Sapi. I'm not sure what broke, but whatever the reason it is installing those voices can and will mess up your Windows 7 Sapi install.

2. Is there other speech synthesizers that can sing other than DecTalk and Laquendo? I know Eloquence can, but it doesn't seem to sing fluently.

Yes, there are, but I don't know much about them.

3. Is there a 64-bit version of willow pond tts speak window? I have a 64-bit windows7 machine only and I would really like to give this a try, since it sounds so fun. Can anyone help me with this?

Not that I am personally aware of, but I am not a user of that particular program so wouldn't be in the know if there were.

4. I also heard Microsoft Marry, Mike and Sam sing. Can anyone show me how to make them sing?

Sorry, can't help. As I recall that was a demo of those voices in Sapi4, and I'd need to look into this further before offering up any answers.

5. Can we use other voices available in Microsoft's SAPI4 engine containing Microsoft Mike, Marry and Sam with SAPI5? What I mean is the robo soft voices, the Microsoft Marry-Mike-Sam in space-hall-stadium etc ones.

No. Sapi 4 voices are incompatible with Sapi 5 text to speech programs unless the program was specifically written to support both versions of voices.

6. Can we use SAPI4 voices with JAWS13 64 bit on a windows7 machine? I saw a detect SAPI4 synthesizers button in the voice adjustment dialogue box, so I thought I would ask.

Not sure. You would have to give it a try. I am not a Jaws user so am not the right person to lend assistance with this issue.

7. Why does the SAPI5 version of DecTalk sound so different from the original?

I am going to assume here by the Sapi  version you mean Phonics Talk 6, which use to be Dectalk, that was a major rewrite of the TTS engine to add foreign languages etc and in the process the classic voices got screwed in the rewrite.

8. OK, now I have another question: can we use real speak solo voices on SAPI5 for windows7? And if it is possible, can anyone give me those as well? Especially Semantha, Tom and Daniel please?

Yes, it is possible. In order to do it I had to modify the setup/installer for the version of the Realspeak voices that came with Jaws 9, but it is possible to install them on Windows 7 and use them with Sapi 5 applications and games. The catch 22 is you need my installer, and I feel uncomfortable of redistributing it here on the forum since it would be a breech of the Jaws software license agreement since I had to illegally modify a few things to make it work, and if you do not own a license for Jaws 9 and the voices I couldn't redistribute them anyway.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-08-31 10:03:46

Hello,
Unfortunately I didn't have JAWS9. If you want to distribute the voices but you don't want to do it on this forum, you can PM me or send me a forum email. Thanks for the answers.

2014-08-31 12:24:56

You can actually get the SAPI 5 version of Mike, Mary and Sam to work on newer versions of Windows. You have to manually put the files in the right place, then register the DLL's and add a few registry entries. Tyler Spivey showed me the procedure a few years ago, but I forgot how it's done now.
There isn't a 32-bit version of willopond afaik. However a fellow forum member has emailed softvoice, the company who made the TTS that willopond uses, about getting their TTS. I haven't really seen it used in many years, but who knows, maybe we'll get a reply. There's definitely a newer 32-bit version of the engine as programs like FL studio include it.
As a sidenote don't try to ask anyone on here on this forum for illegal software, it's against the rules. I don't remember if they apply just to games, but logically speaking they probably also apply to other software, even privately. You could get yourself banned this way.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-08-31 12:38:49

Hello,
But wouldn't putting the files in the appropriate directions and register the DLLs illegal though? And OK, sorry about that. I don't know asking real speak solo for SAPI5 is illegal, sorry.

2014-09-02 14:17:57 (edited by FamilyMario 2014-09-02 14:19:45)

Here is an answer to a few questions.

2. There are a few speech synthesizers that CAN sing other than DECtalk and Loquendo. The Original SoftVoice, formerly known as Willow Pond TTS,  had singing support, but I do not know the commands. The SpeakWindow for Willow Pond TTS was one that I found on the web that didn't have that much voices. The only thing I changed was writing the ReadMe file. The newer versions of SoftVoice had more voices, and added in the singing function. Another singing speech synthesizer is the Software Automatic Mouth (SAM), which was also developed by SoftVoice, Inc, which was at the time named "Don't Ask Software". Another synth that can sing is MBROLA, which requires you to enter phonemes as opposed to words, like DECTalk, but you have to enter in some values. I'll give you an example for you to see what I mean. Another synth that I use is called eCantorix, which is a singing synthesis frontend for eSpeak, but it is for Linux only.
3. No, there isn't a 64-bit version of the Willow Pond TTS Speak Window. It is a 16-bit application, so it will only work with 32-bit systems.
4. Microsoft Mike and Mary singing. Well, okay. You see, Microsoft had a singing synthesizer called the "Whistler Music Synthesizer". Think of it as a Windows version of the Mac application "Vocalwriter", except the only voices I heard were Mike and Mary. You see, in the 1990s, Mike and Mary were first developed until 2001, but until the release of Win 95, they were named as Mark and Melanie, so the software that they used in the songs that featured Mike and Mary used the Whistler Music Synthesizer. I was also told that if you have the Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro CD, you could find the program there.
6. No, you cannot use SAPI4 synthesizers on JAWS 13 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, so you'll have to get a 32-bit system to be able to use them.

2014-09-02 20:17:51

How is it possible to make Loquendo sing or do anything? last time I had it I was not able to do it. I'd really like to try it. O:-)

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-02 23:22:03

I never heard of ecantarix, but that's because I'm not a Linux user.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-09-03 10:48:34

Oops, must be a typo. I don't think Laquendo can sing but I typed way too fast there. What I'm trying to say is that Laquendo can express moods well. Anyways, thanks for the informations and replies.

2014-09-03 14:11:10

To make Loquendo voices do the expressive tags, you must have the ?Loquendo TTS SDK. When you install Loquendo, you should see a program group in your Start Menu called "Loquendo". Look somewhere, and you should find Voice Experience within the program group. Voice Experience acts very much like TTSApp for SAPI5, but it uses only Loquendo voices. To make the engine say the text you have written, click the Speak! button. NVDA should be able to read the Speak! button. The expressive tags, at least the basic ones are:

\item=Laugh
\item=Cry
\item=Cough
\item=Yawn

Hope that helps.

2014-09-03 19:14:39

has anyone uploaded the sdk themselves? the only thing I remember was the tts director, which is not accessible.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-09-04 11:04:02

Hello there,
Is Laquendo and the SDK thingy free? I really want to try it but I'm still a junior high school student so I don't have the money to afford almost anything. Can anyone answer please?

2014-09-04 12:11:29

I think if you buy loquendo, the SDK will shipping with that as well. so maybe it isn't free I'm afraid.

2014-09-04 12:34:13

Well screw it. I can't buy Laquendo because I'm still a 14-year-old and my money isn't handled by myself. Not to mention the SDK thing.

2014-09-04 12:35:22

Yeah, but they are not so good at all.

2014-09-04 14:12:13

Yeah right. But why I'm disappointed is because, to my knowledge, only Laquendo can make expressions like sad, happy etc and other speech synthesizers can't. Just thinking of doing some funny sequences with it though I don't think it's possible given the fact that I don't have money to afford it.

2014-09-04 14:51:03

Yeah, loquendo is now own by nuance.

2014-09-04 14:53:18

You can get loquendo SDK for free though if you do a google search... but this is not legal to obtain...

2014-09-04 22:04:37

Hi.

Has anyone noticed that all these tts voices are being destroyed?
Stupid Nuance bought out Loquendo and completely destroyed the voices. They don't even have all the voices in Vocalizer and the ones that are present have the emotional stuff removed.
Google text to speech is horrible now that they've royally messed up the male UK voice.
Macintalk Alex is still good but now has weird pronunciation glitches due to Apple modifying it so heavily.
I'm still not sure why they're doing that.
Then you have all the companies that no longer want to sell voices to individuals.
Nuance bought almost every tts company and won't sell to individuals. Ivona is apparently owned by Amazon, which means that you can only get the good iVona voices on Amazon products like the Kindle.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-09-05 08:40:56

Yeah, I've noticed. Particularly with Macintalk Alex -- it's good in earlier versions of Mac, but it's now sounding very weird. Yes, Nuance bought almost all TTS voices, and they didn't want to sell it to individuals, which is an annoyance