2007-07-05 04:53:50

Hi all,

I was wondering if you were thinking the same is me, we need background music and higher quallity sound?

Also, can there please be modes where the computer also tries to look for you? I mean, or at least could someone give me some tips, better yet do a podcast on blind cool tech about this, and show me how to play the computer? I mean, I guess verses computer 1, 2, and 3 1 would be the easiest? I was building for like an hour and couldn't find the computer at all, while when I whent to chapter 2 singleplayer they were attacking. What am I supposed to do in chapter 2 anyway? Resist troops? Whenever I retreet I'm usually loosing.

Also what's the difference in the "chapter 1 single player" and verses computer single player? I noticed that the computer has a role in both parts, but it'd be nice if we had higher quallity sound, blood etc, but I'd like the computer to have more roles than just defending itself.

2007-07-05 11:20:04

Since it is still in development I think we need to let the guy get all the important features first before we worry too much about the sound.

For example I can't tell any difference after I tell a peasant to repair a damaged building, and setting the default action for a building to be repair would help too.

These wouuld be of more help right now probably. Music would just be a little polish at the end.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-05 11:28:35

In the next release I will replace the ESpeak voice with another SAPI 5 one. I have MS Sam, MS Mary and MS Mike. Maybe a Scansoft one, if it is freely downloadable. I have to solve a problem about automatically trimming out the trailing silence in the MS voices (I use sox for the batch processing of the sound files).

The sound rate is 16000 Hz. The maximum is 22000 Hz but the computer will have less CPU time for the other things. Anyway the quality of the sounds is often not good enough. But, with the exception of the voice which I will improve quickly, I prefer focusing on giving the possibility to everybody to replace sounds (for example in maps, or for all the game) or to add new chapters.

For the background music, I don't know if it would mask the other sounds. Moreover, if it loops during hours it will quickly become hard to bear, even if it is the best music. But you may be right, it can add a feeling to the game, and can be fondly remembered later. If the game becomes moddable, you will have the possibility to add music in the background. Meanwhile, you can for example listen to Warcraft 2 midi files in the background while you are playing the game : http://www.midishrine.com/index.php?id=132

There is an agressive mode for the computer, but to unlock this mode you need to complete the three chapters, because the computer in agressive mode is harder than in the chapter 2 and 3. So I'll explain how to win chapter 2 and 3.

To win in chapter 2 and 3, allways keep your soldiers in the same square. A1 is a great choice because the peasants are often near the gold mine, so they will help the soldiers. If a soldier is wounded, you can heal him by sending him near the town hall. Try to build a barracks and to recruit footmen. You don't need to build a lumber mill.

2007-07-05 11:38:01

Cx2:
When a peasant is repairing a building, he makes the same noise as if he was building it.
If you are controlling a peasant, the default action for a damaged building is repair.

2007-07-05 14:18:09

Ah. I just tried having a peasant repair a building yet the building's health didn't show as any different when I hit V. I heard the repair sound  for a short whiile then nothing and the building didn't seem any different that was all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-05 15:59:29

I'll check that. Maybe the building's health is not sent by the server to the client in this case.

2007-07-05 16:03:53

Hmm. If I'm to keep my soldiers in the same square as pesents and sll that, how can I find the computer so they come and find my base? also, do I need to patrol anywhere? Because if I do than they'd probably be going out of the square and back in again.

But what's the differance between chapter 2 and 3 single player and verses computer 2 and 3 single player? Should I play single player or verses computer?

2007-07-05 17:11:51

The chapter maps are purely designed for single player to unlock aggressive mode multiplayer.

The computer 1 2 and 3 are simply a quiet AI on the maps designed for multiplayer I'm guessing, the aggressive mode uses the same maps. If you need time to learn try quiet mode on one of those maps. Map 1 is 2 player I think, but maps 2 and 3 seem to have mirrored positions for four players.

cx2
-----

2007-07-05 19:03:51

The game versus computer in quiet mode is interesting if you want to explore a bigger map, build, train and upgrade everything without being attacked quickly by the computer, or lacking resources, or winning too early (like in chapter 2).

2007-07-05 20:16:29

I like this option and tryed it out today. It's very good. I think in the chapter game you have to complete
the missions and objectives. In the game versus computer, there are no exact objectives and missions
to complete. Is that right, too?

2007-07-06 03:43:35

The only objective in the game versus computer is to destroy all the enemy buildings (the units doesn't count for the victory).

2007-07-07 00:05:56

Hi,

Is an ability to have more units, make your own maps, and what not going to be included?

Also, the default maps have a wood stock of fifty per pile and gld of like 200 or whatever.  Is it possible to get the wood raised to, i dunno, 100 per woodpile?

Makes the game more worth it, sense everyone can get their own stuff.

Also, is it possible that after a time, forests regrow on meddows, and gold mines also regrow on meddows?

Malloc

2007-07-07 05:50:23

Using one of the 7x7 maps already available, I was EASILY ABLE to max out everything (mage tower, dragon's lair, all skills and research). There is absolutely no reason, at this stage of the game, that you need more resources. If you know where/how to expand, send your peasants or footmen on little excursions with a bit of spare wood and good. If you find a mine/wood and some meadows very close by, set up a supply base or two (build a town hall) to maximize speed, and you're off to the races.

Now...as I don't have access to the manual, I have a few questions:
1. What advantage has a knight over a footman? To me, they sound the same, except a knight has more hit points.
Second, what good are archers, honestly, besides shooting down dragons? I find my archers forever retreat, no matter what I tell them, and while they shoot fast, they don't do much damage.
Third, um...what exactly is the point of a mage? What is SuperHealing and why would teleportation be worthwhile? Can you teleport to squares on the map beyond the range of your theretofore boundaries of exploration? (Say I had everything in the a and b column fleshed out and I wanted to see what was on d5 without ever having been near there; could I send a mage out there?) I know mages can attack, and their attack is halfway good by the impression I got...but for the price, what's the benefit?
Next, catapults. What good are they? I've seen them as nothing more than slow-moving targets that don't hit very often or very hard, and there are no upgrades for them that I was able to find.
Last but not least...dragons. They seem to pound the living heck out of knights and footmen, but seem helpless against archers. I've never faced mages (or knights, for that matter), so I suppose I don't know about them...but I don't understand why they're so expensive when you can avoid the wood cost, crank out three or four footmen that do the exact same job?

A few miscellaneous questions:
What good is bow range?
What good is bow speed, or whatnot?
What good use is there to the Rally function? I can make my units move fast enough and I don't touch it.
Is there any sort of command which can have an entire group of mixed units  converge on someone? Say I've moved two knights, three footmen and a dragon to c2 and I want to make an attack on c1. Can I input a single command that sends all those characters to that square? As it stands now, I'd have to send one group in, then another, then the dragon...or vice versa.

I'm sorry for all the questions/potential criticisms...the fact that I spent the majority of today playing this game should give you an idea that I'm not displeased. You've really got something here. If you made things bigger overall, perhaps put in specific objectives " (protect the temple, keep the priest alive, capture enemy spies)...you might be able to deepen gameplay. You've proven that, while a trifle difficult sometimes, a game like this, with halfway decent AI, can be a real treat to play. Were you to flesh it out, you could probably make decent money off it. I'm not really too much of an RTS type of gamer, but I'm supremely pleased with this so far.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-07-07 10:22:17

Knights also do double damage.

Also if you press S it woill select all combat units in the square.

As stated in time it is planned that dragons will be able to circumvent the limit on requiring a path or bridge to move between squares, and that archers really do need more power.

cx2
-----

2007-07-07 20:01:32

Hmm...please keep in mind that I haven't read the manual, and still can't, so that would explain why I missed a hotkey.
I don't see what good having no limitations on movement will do though, unless you mean that they'll essentially be able to take shortcuts and thereby arrive at places before other things. I wasn't aware knights did double damage, but I know a group of four of them (hell, even three of them) can wreak all sorts of mayhem in a very short time if played right.
Just mages, archers and catapults I'm really left on. And I still think this game has LOADS of room to potentially upgrade. Higher costs, greater reserves of stuff, more upgrades/research...list goes on. I could probably lay out a design for it if anyone was interested, though it'd probably take some time.

2007-07-07 22:48:23 (edited by cx2 2007-07-07 22:49:55)

By ignore limits I mean they won't need a path or bridge as I understand it when properly implemented. In other words they can fly over and don't need a set route, so effectively yes can take short cuts.

I believe the knights also have slightly more armour to reduce damage taken than a footman but I may be wrong. If you have the cash they are well worth the double food. Combined a group of perhaps 3 or 4 knights and a mage can be really deadly, since the mage will keep them healed.

Edit:
To be more clear a dragon could entirely circumvent a choke point, meaning they could attack from an unexpected angle.

cx2
-----

2007-07-08 01:46:09

Yes, okay...that makes sense. They could attack a1 or whatnot via b1, instead of having to come through a3 and a2. Got ya.
I'm currently working on just how fast I can put together a footman or knight rush. Footman rushes are doubtless quicker, but you need greater numbers. Literally speaking, they're cheaper though. I'm still amazed that in the aggressive computer scenarios, I'm being constantly mobbed within fifty to ninety seconds, most of the time, but it's like you said...once the first three waves or so can be fended off, it's cake.
Heh. I didn't know mages would heal like that, but I find three or four knights can take down the entirety of what the enemy can throw at you.

Suggestion: make the food cap disappear. If you want to spend resources and get rid of meadows to build farms, you should be able to have more troops. Perhaps require more town halls to be built as well and tie population to how far it's been upgraded, but still...if you want large-scale warfare, you're going to need to consider that. People will be able to have large main bases and smaller supply bases, essentially.

Another suggestion: Perhaps allow for the construction of walls and gates (gates would be automatic, mind)...that enemies have to bash through or go around, while friendly troops use the gate?

2007-07-08 05:37:40

I added a FAQ with some of the questions here: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/faq.htm

malloc:
Yes, a money map can be interesting.

Jayde:
You still don't have access to the manual? Do you have this problem with other local .htm files? Try this temporary link: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/help-index.htm
To group all the combat unit for an attack, press Control + S.

2007-07-08 06:12:56

Yes, maybe walls and gates could be build in place of paths. Another idea is impassable woods that block the paths so that when the wood is exhausted, it is replaced by a path and you can go through, like in Warcraft.

2007-07-08 08:54:49

That's possible too. Right now, the maps you have are neat and all, but the obstructions aren't clear. You could make some of those obstructions into such woods.
In fact, I have been thinking of a neat scenario where you have to take down an enemy base (or particular structure in the base). The base is very heavily guarded in the front (we're talking half a dozen dragons or something ugly), so you've got to creep up from the side and destroy it covertly. You have oh so much possibility here.

2007-07-08 12:57:01

I have looked at the soundMUD project page. I'm not good in franch but I found other games on the page, too.
Are all these games for the blind. If yes, will the other games translated in english, too. The action game
inspired by diablo seems to be interesting.
greets
Niklas

2007-07-08 17:42:26

Jayde:
Can you access to the manual now?
Your suggestion about walls and gates lead me to this idea that may allow to tranfer another fun feature of Warcraft that I though was impossible without tedious sub-scanning of the local zone: add the possibility to the units to block a path (for example with a "hold" or "block" command), so that footmen stay automatically in the first line while the protected archers can attack the next square. Moreover, there would be different sorts of path: a narrow path can be blocked with only 3 units, while a wider path would need 20 units (almost impossible). This way we can implement the concept of choke points more or less easy to secure. Another idea is to add the possibility to archers a special mode so that they can settle at a frontier of a cliff bordered square so they can attack the next square without being wounded by melee units. This way the archer (and any ranged unit) can become interesting without having to deal too much damage, and the flying units are even more interesting than before.

Niklas:
I don't know if the SoundMUD project is enough complete to be interesting, but I will translate it soon.

2007-07-08 17:55:50

Man, diablo inspired action game? This is exactly what blind people have needed for years.
Hopefully it gets translated soon.
Thanks for the great RTS and hopefully it will get even better.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2007-07-08 18:46:54

That would be fun, though archers seriously need a damage boost. An unupgraded archer will need to hit a footman 30 times by my maths to kill him. If you increase the damage, perhaps even throw their armour bonus in with the one for footmen and knights, then they could be useful.

cx2
-----

2007-07-08 19:37:03 (edited by SoundMUD 2007-07-08 19:38:55)

Yes, I will translate SoundMUD soon. For the moment, this game is far less complete than SoundRTS and far from Diablo. The only aspect of Diablo I transfered is the fact that you just have to select a monster and then press and hold the action button to go to it and kill it in 2 or 3
hits, or you flee with the arrow keys. This seems simplistic but it may be fun. And there is a little randomness in a few parts of the
game (like in Diablo or Nethack). But it lacks many things yet. For example there is no inventory, no potions, you just use different
weapons that you find.

Cx2:
Ok, the archers will deal more damage.