2014-08-28 11:25:08 (edited by harrylst 2015-06-19 17:29:17)

So, the song "let it go" from the movie frozen.  It's been translated into 41 different languages.
I was recently reflecting on the fact that so many of the videos on youtube have inaccessible text.  I ran across this video that is a version of "let it go" with a bit from each of the 42 versions (including English).  It has translations, but not ones we could read.  With so many forumites from around the world, wouldn't it be really cool if we could build a translation?  Let's see how non-contiguous this thing is in the end.  I'll bet that if we can get every line translated, the lines won't fit together.  First here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbYusTuGbEU
So if y'all want to participate in this little project here's what you do.
Take your own language (or one that you can speak), and listen to the words in the video.  The list of languages I have below is in order of how they come up in the video.  Make a literal translation and post it in this thread, and I'll add it to the main list.  I have done a few to show you what I mean.  The words don't have to make sense in English, just make the translation as literal as possible.
Deutsch: Der Schnee glänzt weiß auf den Bergen heut' Nacht
German: The snow glows white on the mountain tonight.
nederlands: Van een voetstap geen blijk
dutch: of a footstep no sign
Italiano: In cuesto remoto regno, la regina sono io.
Italian: In this remote kingdom the queen am I
Ukrainian:
Polish:
Croatian:
Slovene:
Estonian:
Japanese:
Lithuanian:
portugues brasileiro: Não posso mais segurar
brazillian portuguese: I can not be sure anymore
Slovak:
العربية: اغلق خلفك الابواب
arabic: close the doors behind you
Latvian:
Korean:
Czech:
Svenska: Lite snö har väl aldrig stört mig.
Swedish: A little snow has never hurt me.
Catalan:
castellano: que pequeño todo es
castilian spanish: how small everything is
Icelandic:
Thai:
portugues: ser livre sim, é mesmo bom
european portuguese: to be free yes, it's very good
Greek:
台灣國語: 沒有對啜沒有舒服
Taiwanese Mandarin: there is no right no wrong, there is no comfortable
Turkish:
Serbian:
Russian:
國語: 隨它吧,隨它吧
China Manderin: just let go, just let go
Malaysian:
Vietnamese:
French:
Bulgarian:
Finnish:
Romanian:
Dansk: Kan aldrig vende hjem, farvel til det der var.
Danish: Can never go home, farewell to what there was.
español latinoamericano: libre soy, libre soy
latin spanish: free am I, free am I
Norsk: Jeg skal stige lik solen nå.
Norwegian: I shall rise like the sun now.
Hebrew:
Flemish:
Cantonese:
Hungarian:
English: The cold never botherred me anyway.
I hope you all have fun with this project!  Let me know if you all have any questions.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2014-08-28 11:44:55 (edited by SLJ 2014-08-28 11:53:01)

Hi.
wow, what an epic project!
So you're asking for the lyrix in text in the different languages? I'm quite surprised I can't find this song in english. Lol.
I could easily write the danish lyrix in text and post them here.
a quite nice song by the way.
Edit: I realized it's not all languages where the actual song is translated, but only the lyrix. So people could run the translated texts through google translate in their own language to get a better understanding on what's the song about.
Edit: Damn me. I suck at searching. I've just found the original english song. Lol! smile Maybe you should post a link to this as well?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-08-28 14:44:07

Hi,
Wow, the italian translation is kind of funny, and sort of makes sense. To compare:
The english lyrics for that section are, A kingdom of Isolation, and it looks like I'm the queen,
where as the Italian version mentions the remote kingdom as appose a kingdom remote, which wouldn't really be grammatically correct!

2014-08-28 15:03:12

SLJ... hahaha. I'm not laughing at you, I just found that funny because the movie is originally an American movie so it surprises me a little you didn't find an english version. But there actually a full version for all of these languages... but what harrylst seems to be looking for is just a translation of each line, since in this version there's only one line or two in each language.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-08-28 18:09:06 (edited by harrylst 2014-08-28 18:12:23)

Yes that's exactly what I meant.  This song has 42 lines in 42 languages.  I was thinking that everyone could take the line in their own language (or one they speak) and translate it, similar to what I did for the italian and chinese lines.  Alrighty, for those of you interested here's a link to the just english version.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
So SLJ your line comes a bit later in the song.  As I remember you're danish?  Just write the english meaning of the danish words.

Feel free to add me.

2014-08-28 23:02:37 (edited by AlexN94 2014-08-29 01:07:34)

Dansk: Kan aldrig vende hjem, farvel til det der var.
Danish: Can never go home, farewell to what there was.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2014-08-28 23:13:49

awesome. it's in the project..

Feel free to add me.

2014-08-28 23:25:55 (edited by AlexN94 2014-08-29 01:07:06)

Swedish:
Lite snö har väl aldrig stört mig.
A little snow has never hurt me.

Norwegian:
Jeg skal stige lik solen nå.
I shall rise like the sun now.

[EDIT]
I made a correction to the Danish translation, BTW.
[/EDIT]

2014-08-29 06:40:28

thanks a lot.

Feel free to add me.

2014-08-29 12:34:12

arabic: اغلق خلفك الابواب
close the doors behind you

2014-08-29 18:38:39

I'm totally not contributing because I'm not uber talented in languages, but some of these ladies sound really really hott LOL!

2014-08-29 19:18:18

Deutsch: Der Schnee glänzt weiß auf den Bergen heut' Nacht
German: The snow glows white on the mountain tonight.

2014-08-29 22:46:55

Great! For those following I also fixed a small error in the Italian lyrics (my fault), and added in the actual Chinese lyrics as it's my mother tongue. Keep it coming!

Feel free to add me.

2014-08-29 22:57:37

Just a correction in the Italian... if you actually translate it properly it actually is the queen am I. Io sono means I am.

2014-08-29 23:15:12

wow... that just goes to show how I subconsciously make it fit English in my head. thanks for that.

Feel free to add me.

2014-08-29 23:24:22

Actually... even in English, the queen is me is technically still incorrect. Gramatically it's correct, but as a sentence it doesn't sound natural. Especially that isn't what the Italian says even if you translate it word for word. The queen am I makes more sense and conveys the meaning more clearly.

2014-08-29 23:30:51

it's already fixed. Fair point there

Feel free to add me.

2015-06-19 17:30:15

Ok y'all. i'm trying to revitalize this project. I have added 5 more translations. (If anyone sees an error, it is my own). Anyway, If any new forumites wish to participate (or anyone who missed out the first go-round), feel free.

Feel free to add me.

2015-06-19 18:57:21

Well as I've now seen frozen I will say hearing the song spliced with lines from different languages was rather nice, though personally I more enjoyed  just the different sounds of the sopranos they used and how the song felt in other languages, and don't mind too much not getting exact translations, sinse hay I know myself any song translated needs altering just for rythm and meter if nothing else.

btw, one of the most amusing disney things I've ever heard in terms of other languages, is The lion King in Japanese! you thought uncle Scar was evil? well he sounds far eviler in Japanese! have a listen to This and you'll see what I mean.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-21 02:50:08

Agreed about that Dark. I love the Lion King in Japanese... Scar's voice is a little less deep and raspy than in the original, but he still comes off sounding like the vicious and cunning mastermind that he is! Some of the translations are a little weird though.

2015-06-21 03:03:34

Here is the song again, this time the full soundtrack version including Scar's little monologue at the beginning. Definitely a good sight more evil than the english, I think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItNPx-zQpU

2015-06-21 12:01:55

Turkish: Free

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page