2014-08-27 20:32:27

Hey all. So without mentioning NVDA, which i'm sure most of us use, i'm curious for those jaws and window eyes users, which screenreader do you prefer as far as stability, features and useability? I think it's pretty well known that jaws doesn't seem to change much over the years, just adding features here and there, but not really being innovative. In fact, this reminds me of the death of screenreader innovation written by a former employee of Freedom Scientific, which i believe Trenton might have linked to in a different topic. But i suppose this topic is more to ask in your point of view, which piece of software would you, or will you, continue to use long term. Remember, NVDA doesn't count, as we have meticulously concluded can stand up to any commercial product. One final point i'd like to mention is, which screenreader would you use in a job setting? For example, let's say you were a system administrator for a big company, or a software developer. Which would you use for software like remote desktop, server maintenance, or programming. These are just some points of discussion, so have at it!

2014-08-27 23:13:11

I agree with you about jaws being literally "dead" in terms of major features.
They just release new versions with  one or two major feature and make people to pay for them.
Unfortunetly i like the powerful scripting engine of jaws, and i cannot stand other Synths except  elequence.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2014-08-27 23:18:41

Agreed with what you said. I always come back to eloquence no matter what. I think with how scriptable jaws is, you would think developers would put more effort to put out a ton of scripts for all kind of applications for different needs. While some certainly exist, i think there could be more.

2014-08-28 01:17:24

Arqmeister, as to your question of Jaws verses Window-Eyes my vote would be for Window-Eyes for many reasons.

First, thanks to the agreement between GW Micro and Microsoft Window-Eyes is free for anyone who happens to be running Office 2010 or 2013. That makes Window-Eyes more affordable for anyone who does not have $1,000 to pay up front for a screen reader, and it also eliminates the cost of SMAs as well.

Second, for a more professional environment such as a job site GW Micro does offer a payment plan for Window-Eyes meaning instead of coming up with $1,000 all at once a person can actually make $100 monthly payments until Window-Eyes is paid off. That includes technical support as well as the software. So even if one wants to pay for Window-Eyes it is still more affordable than Jaws.

Third, Window-Eyes is just as scriptable as Jaws. In fact, more so. As of Window-Eyes 7.0 or so one can write scripts in Javascript, VBScript, or another scripting language of the user's choosing. The user is not locked into some proprietary script language that requires expensive classes as is Jaws.

Fourth, if one buys Window-Eyes Pro they get Eloquence, Dectalk Access, and can optionally buy the Vocalizer voices. So if one is worried about synthesizers Window-Eyes and Jaws are pretty much equal on that account.

Fifth, I've personally used Window-Eyes with Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, and frankly find it adequate for programming. It also works well with Eclipse for developing Java programs. About the only disadvantage with Window-Eyes is that it doesn't work as well with Java apps as Jaws which may be a deal breaker if one is a Java developer or must work with Java apps extensively.

Hadi.gsf, your point about Jaws scripting engine is not really an advantage since Window-Eyes also has scripting. I personally find Window-Eyes scripting more powerful than Jaws because it actually uses the Windows Script Host, and supports multiple scripting languages. With Jaws you have to use Jaws proprietary language, and it is not really documented the way a standard off the shelf solution would be.

Moreover, one thing that royally turned me of with Jaws was I would write some scripts for one version of Jaws, upgrade, and the scripts would be broken in the next version requiring a rewrite or upgrade of my scripts. I can see that once and awhile, but there for a few versions everything I wrote was constantly broken by upgrading Jaws. So I scrapped that screen reader, because I found it to be a lot more trouble than it was worth.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-08-28 03:32:35

It is worth noting that many of the bugs in VS2010 are VS2010 and not the screen reader, most annoyingly the alt-tab phantom menu bar.  Things like the debugger work in both because, due to crap from Microfail, those parts have no UIA or MSAA representation, not to mention the fact that parts of VS expose via one while parts expose via the other.  The net result is that you need a mirror display driver to really do it at all.  This is improving with every VS version, fortunately; there was recently a survey as well.  But we aren't there yet.
But as for Window-eyes, there are three things worth noting.
Firstly, the deal with Microsoft was the beginning of the end for GW Micro, which no longer exists as an entity in its own right.  They are now part of Ai Squared, and--while no such official announcement has been made to my knowledge--every indicator I, Mr. Hofstader, and everyone I know has seen is that it's the first victim of the modern era of screen readers (NVDA+built-in screen readers).  There are persistent rumors that Narrator in Windows 9 is going to have scripting, driving it even further into the ground.
Secondly, there is a crippling bug experienced by everyone who tried it along with me when it became free.  You can't be a multi-screen reader user with it, not without closing all apps.  Apparently Window-eyes isn't smart enough to quite work when apps are already open, and I must say that it has a cripplingly long startup time anyway.  It is sad but true that using multiple screen readers is now a necessity in many cases for actual, real-world, job-quality productivity.
And thirdly, Window-eyes is not standards compliant, or even up to the modern era of web browsing.  I'm a member of 3 Mouse Technology, an accessibility cooperative that includes--among other people--Mr. Hofstader and one of the programmers behind System Access.  For about 3 weeks, everyone we were talking to about possible contracts switched to Window-eyes, multiple organizations evaluated it, and in the end they all rejected and went back to Jaws/NVDA.  The reason for this seems to be this lack of standards compliance; modern web accessibility techniques (Aria, HTML5) are very incomplete.  Considering Window-eyes Vs. Jaws, even a simple web page like the NVDA timeline gave Window-eyes trouble.  All sorts of blank lines, duplicated items, etc, etc, etc.  To me, this was the killer: I am a programer, and consequently spend much of my time on very complex web sites.  I never evaluated it on IA2 or UIA, but that's hard to do: IA2 is MSAA and screen readers get useful stuff out of it even without supporting it, and UIA has an automatic proxy.  I.e. legacy screen readers will at least get something, but implementing those standards gives more.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-08-28 04:22:25

Hi.

I have to agree.
Window-cries is behind the times.
If I had to go back to Flaws or Window-cries, I would choose Flaws. It seems to perform better than Window-cries.
Also, Window-cries is the only screen reader that still doesn't support touch screen navigation.
I would agree with THomas's points about Window-cries being free for Microsoft Office, except the program has way too many flaws to be used in my opinion.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-08-28 05:05:13

It would seem the bugs in jaws have only gotten worse in the past couple of versions. One that i remember, was how the program would hang, and sometimes, down right crash when using firefox. I think chris hophstater is doing the right thing in his blogs, basically displaying to the world that screen reading technology as a market can't last in the current state of NVDA being free, and just as capable. Android has a ways to go in the accessibility front, IOS is pretty good. I sort of hope that microsoft steps up to the plate and makes windows the most accessible that it could be. Think of a world without freedom scientific and GW Micro.

2014-08-28 06:06:28 (edited by queenslight 2014-08-28 06:26:06)

Greetings!

Firstly, here's The thread that "arqmeister" mentioned in post 1, pertaining to "The Death Of Screen Readers" blog entry.

Secondly, I would "strongly!" recommend you all listen to the following Blind Bargains CSun Interview that they had with Jeremy Curry, and it will share some extra insight with all that's happened, and happening.

If I remember right, Jaws scripts are made in the C++ Language. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do keep in mind, that Window-eyes scripts, also called apps, can be "removed" at any time. Don't use IE? Remove the IE enhanced app. Don't use Skype? Don't instal the Skype enhanced App. Simple!

And do you know how easy it is creating set files? Which you can make a Window-Eyes app to go along with them, if ya so choose.
All apps  can be turned off at once, in case you have to trouble shoot a specific app, if its giving ya problems.

Ah, and do you know a Window-eyes screen reader that comes with at least 9 games  for your enjoyment? Including "Star Trek," But lets switch back to the thread at hand.

One thing that hasn't come up yet, is that with JFW, you are "not!" I repeat, "not!" to evaluate web sites with a "demo" copy of the product. It must be a "full-retail" version. Feel free to go and read the license if ya so wish.
Using Window-Eyes? no problem's what-so-ever! That includes with "demo" copies.

As for Voices, Window-eyes 8.4 and later, you can now use the Microsoft Speech Platform Voices, or eSpeak, to read with. Along with the others  that you have purchased, like Sapi 4/5 ones.

Think I'm missing something I didn't cover? Share your thoughts!

BTW, I've been a Window-Eyes customer, since 2002, back when it was 4.2, on XP.

PS. The only apps I wished Window-Eyes worked with better, are "SongR," and "Foobar." Particularly! Foobar, but the "Virtual Viewer" app does have its purpose working with Foobar 2000 pretty well.

In addition, if folks want to write scripts apps for Window-Eyes itself, check out the Developer Resources section of App Central.

And "Finally," Doug," one of the co-creators of GW Micro, when it "was!" GW Micro, always said in many forms of words, that one screen reader ain't gonna rule them all.

2014-08-28 16:11:38

Thanks for the links, and the great post Trenton. You always make great points. i didn't know all those features of window eyes, thanks again.

2014-08-28 17:03:45

Okay. No.
Jaws places no limits on the demo version save the 40 minute time limit.  The stuff about not evaluating web sites is to prevent companies whom do this for a living from saving tens of thousands of dollars, but there's no actual restriction on what you can do with it as a user.  I say this as a 7-year user of jaws, after which I switched to NVDA.
The Jaws scripts are a custom scripting language, not C++.  Not at all.  While it is true that Window-eyes gives you some more, it also cheats.  When we say that Window-eyes has games, what we're really saying is that Window-eyes provides a method whereby games can be downloaded; I could, if I so chose, write all the games available for it separately and use them with any screen reader.  All the app packages are is a packed executable that calls some COM objects, an encryption system (which I believe is broken), and that's it.  I was looking into rewriting Unspoken for it until all of our Window-eyes clients vanished.
As for crashing, yes, Jaws crashes more.  But if I had to pick one, I'd still pick Jaws.  I can at least switch to and from other screen readers with jaws, and it can navigate the internet much better than anything.  Here's Marko Zehe evaluation of Office 365, which says basically the same things I'm saying.
And as for the death of screen readers?  NVDA is going too.  There are new laws and regulations coming into play over the next few years that are making it very advantageous for companies like Microsoft to make the built-in screen readers capable.  The specific driving force has to do more with the fact that it's suddenly become super important for companies who want government and educational contracts to be able to say that their apps are accessible; consequently, the deal with Window-eyes and the sudden improvements in Narrator.  I fully expect Windows 9 Narrator will be even more capable and, in 5 or so years, it might be good enough for many.  At this point, Jaws, Window-eyes, and NVDA start losing users and eventually fall below critical mass.  NVDA will be last because they're not-for-profit, but it wil still most likely be a victim.  What people aren't realizing is that, unless Microsoft is somehow feeding Window-eyes a stream of money, there is literally $0 being made off it now (and if they are, it will stop when Narrator is capable enough to work with Office).

My Blog

2014-08-28 17:10:10

the only problem that I have had with window-eyes is that it is a process hog. But other then that, it works just fine.

2014-08-29 07:44:22

Hello
Thomas, your points are valid regarding the scripting language. I just don't know about window eyes because i have not used it at all.

I just totally agree with camlorn.  Just compare windows 8.1 with windows 7, the self-Screen Reader is improved, literally 3x better.
It's just looks like a voiceover for windows, except a little un-mature.
Can you guess what happens if microsoft does the same jump again in windows 9, and another big jump from windows 9 to windows 10 in accessibility?
I can guess. a fully-featured ScreenReader that is equal to VoiceOVer.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2014-08-29 10:12:12 (edited by tward 2014-08-29 10:19:14)

Camlorn, yeah, I agree with you that the deal with Microsoft was the beginning of the end of GW Micro. They made that deal just before they merged with AI Squared so I think they knew they were doomed as a company and that is why they were willing to essentially give their flagship product away for free. Plus as you accurately stated I have also heard Narrator is getting a major upgrade in Windows 9, and if the version in Windows 8 and 8.1 is any indication it is only a matter of time before Narrator eventually over takes commercial screen readers like Jaws, Window-Eyes, Supernova, etc. So something like Window-Eyes has a fairly short life expectancy if we assume Narrator will soon replace them as the dominate screen reader in the Windows market.

About the issue of multiple screen readers that is all too true. As someone who uses NVDA almost all the time now I found Window Eyes extremely irritating when it came to switching to and from another screen reader like NVDA. That issue is going to effect people who regularly switch between screen readers so I'll agree it is not the best solution for someone not willing to settle on Window-eyes as their primary screen reader.

As standards compliant goes I will also agree Window-Eyes has been falling behind in some areas. It doesn't work that well with Internet Explorer or Firefox, and in fact that was the single most reason why I dropped Window-Eyes in favor of NVDA. I had been a fairly regular and committed Win-Eyes user for many years, but when I found out a free screen reader like NVDA blew Window-Eyes away when it came to web browsing there was no question which one I was going to adopt as my primary screen reader.

Trenton, the Jaws scripting language is completely proprietary to Jaws. It is not C++, but some custom language created by Henter-Joice specifically for Jaws before Henter-Joice became Freedom Scientific. In the old days they use to be more open about the script language, offer free documentation, but of recent years they are more tight lipped about it and seem to want to charge for documentation, classes, etc and they can frankly shove it with a long poll in my opinion.

NVDA is completely free and besides being open source all of its modules are written in Python which is an off the shelf scripting language.  Someone does not have to pay for documentation or take classes to script NVDA if need should arise to do so. I think barring Narrator coming along and steeling the show NVDA will eventually overtake Jaws both in the private and business sector because being able to expand the screen reader is a necessity in today's computing environment and nobody is going to want to pay out for classes and documentation to do that when free and low cost alternatives exist.

Plus as Camlorn pointed out roomer is in Windows 9 Microsoft will be drastically overhauling Narrator, and will be adding scripting etc to the screen reader. Once they do that Jaws can kiss its ass goodbye because I am sure Narrator with access scripts through the Windows Scripting Host and support something like Javascript or VBScript or both. that will offer off the shelf scripting support that any amateur programmer will probably already know and can use to expand Narrator's functionality. Once that happens Jaws advantage over Narrator will be gone, and Freedom Scientific won't be able to get by with the excuse of charging big bucks for documentation or training for Jaws scripting like they have in the past.

Moreover, think about state agencies. Right now they are willing to pay someone to write scripts for Jaws for job specific software, but if Microsoft comes with a screen reader that can do the same they'll probably shift loyalties to Microsoft or a Microsoft Certified Engineer who knows how to script Narrator. It would be much easier than getting someone who has been certified by Freedom Scientific, and may even cost less in the bargain.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-08-29 15:52:06

I think window-eyes is better.

2014-08-29 18:11:24 (edited by bryant 2014-08-29 18:16:14)

as a 11 year jaws user, I have to say Jaws is better.
I feel that windoweyes is way behind times. Their web accesibility is crap, the screen reader takes forever to load, and I've had trouble reading stuff properly with it. Jaws works much better for what I need, and I haven't had a second thought about it. While there may be a few bugs present, it doesn't make the product unusable. As to the demo of jaws, the only ristriction is the 40 minute mode, nothing else. There isn't anything that says you can't access websites. I'm looking forward to the new jaws 16 release, and will most certainly upgrade it when it comes up, because I have 1 free upgrade left. The hanging issue is still present, however with the new keystroke to force unload jaws, insert windows f4, this isn't much of an issue anymore. FS was aware that jaws hung, so put in a keystroke to force unload it. The scripting interface is also much better. I think you get what you pay for with the price that jaws is, yet people complain that it's overpriced. Tandom is also nice, if you want to train someone on Jaws, or help them fix problems.
The problem I have with windoweyes and NVDA, (forgive me for mentioning nvda in this post), is the fact that you have to download apps and addons to make stuff work right or add new features. This, In my opinion, is absolutely stupid. I don't want to waist my time downloading stuff that is already included with jaws. I know NVDA is opensource and that there are copyright issues, but still. And gw micro had no excuse not to include in their product what freedom scientific has already. No. Instead, you have to download apps and all these programs to make things work right. If you don't, some things are virtually unusable. I never have to download jaws scripts for anything. Stuff just seems to work right from the get-go, without any messing arround on my part.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-08-29 19:33:12

Hi briant. I'm glad you find jaws a pleasing experience, and that you feel you got your money's worth. The last version of jaws i used was version 13, so things might have changed for the better. I use NVDA as my primary screen reader, and it seems to work just fine for all my computing needs. I only use a couple of adons, mainly, skype and eloquence. Other than that, i think add-ons are simply for the people who feel they need them, they certainly aren't required to have a good experience with the screen reader. I agree that window eyes seems quite behind the times, and really won't be a contender at all if they can't offer adiquit web access at the very least.

2014-08-29 20:01:13

Keep in mind that NVDA has had far less development than other screenreaders. Jaws has had i believe over 15 years of development, where as NVDA hasn't. Many addons, such as the addon for putty (ssh client), were incorporated into nvda's main distribution. Which programs work with jaws immediately that don't work with Window Eyes or NVDA?

Regarding the on topic portion of this topic I was a window eyes user before NVDA. In my experience jaws just seemed slow for some reason.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-08-29 21:33:13

While it is true that there is an emergency keystroke to kill Jaws, the fun begins when the keyboard hooks that are supposed to process it break.  You can see this most often with Firefox, but I've seen it happen anywhere so YMMV.  Basically, at that point, you have to kill it by killing the box.
As for programs that work with jaws but not NVDA: anything older than 15 years and using a complex interface, anything that draws its own UI but provides no focus or control information, etc.  The thing is that Mirror Display Drivers literally only exist because the AT companies begged Microsoft not to kill them in Windows 8, but the programs that only work with them do in fact exist.  IA2, UIA, and etc. are rather new technologies as compared to screen readers themselves.
Also, it's worth noting that, if your screen reader doesn't use UIA, you may be screwed in another year or two.  Because Narrator is Microsoft and UIA is Microsoft, I highly doubt it will see support for IA2.  Maybe, but not likely.  It depends how capable they make their scripting, if they even do that (and, tbh, there are a lot of things I will miss if/when NVDA dies.  We will probably not have Unspoken, for example).

My Blog

2014-08-31 06:40:49

A couple of things:

1. Narrator has taken a leap with windows 8.1, but it still doesn't handle websites well. Getting it to do that is going to be a hell of a chore for Microsoft.
2. Jaws lags. Jaws makes systems lag. There are a lot of things it can do very well, and I've never used Window Eyes, but Jaws is a big, multi-purpose program with probably more bulk than it needs. That being said, people saying Jaws doesn't give people grief are full of it.
3. You don't need add-ons to use NVDA. The only one I use outside of playing Japanese audio games is the Eloquence driver, because I cannot stand the voice that comes with NVDA. If any of you use it, I shudder at the thought. Anyway, NVDA is quick, quite responsive and, apart for some wonky website stuff in certain places, it's awfully good considering the price tag...zero. I wonder how many of you have bothered donating to NVDA, even a little?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1