2007-07-03 03:35:24 (edited by dark empathy 2007-07-03 06:24:46)

It's always fantastic when a game just suddenly appears out of the blue, particularly when it's a game in a genre which I've personally been absolutely aching to play more of. I'm speaking of course about real time Audio stratogy war games.

sound Rts is a free audio stratogy game developed by Jean-luc Pontico, based upon the popular warcraft series of fantasy battle games.

In this game you become the general of an army, commanding peasants, foot soldiers, knights, archers, catapults mages and dragons against enemy forces, and only wise leadership and optimal use of resources will win the day.

You may play against the computer, carry out a number of military missions, or connect to and challenge other players over the internet. the game is also available in French!

So, what are you waiting for! go here to the sound rts page to download the game and begin your campeign of conquest!

Please note, that the game is stil a beta version, but is nevertheless incredibly playable. Feel free to discuss the game in our forums.

Now please excuse me, I have troops to train!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-07-03 21:24:47

But this link is not working? I mean I click on it and  the page can't be found

Ugur

2007-07-03 22:01:32

Hmmm, that is rather odd, testing the link appears to bring the site up fine, ----- maybe you just caught them when they were temporarily down for some reason?

here's the plain web address though, which you can copy into your brouser or whatever: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-07-03 22:27:17

I don't think I can solve this problem. because I also this the same before even you tell me to do so but  actually it doesn't work here maybe. anyway, is there  a way that this "great - sounding " game can be added to  the archive of audiogames.net? I am impatient to get it!

2007-07-03 23:13:22

Hi,

Link seems to be working ok?

Richard

2007-07-03 23:15:04

Try this link: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/?lang=en
(it's the same link with the English language already selected)
Maybe the server was down, I don't know.

2007-07-04 08:28:58

I always hate to be the problem boy but this is also not working, I wonder if it is about my firewall problems or so but I never experienced such a problem, like others can connect a site but I can't

anyway thanks for caring about my problem, I guess I will just wait for the day this links will work or at least this game is accessible to me somehow.

Ugur

2007-07-04 09:49:07

It does indeed sound like something very odd is going on there. the only other thing I can think of trying is the link to directly download the file without going to the page. try http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/soundrts-1.0-b6-en.exe to directly download the file.

However if it's a firewall issue I'm not sure if this will work either.

Generally speaking of course, I'd think it was always better to go to the site, sinse you can read about the game, check for updates etc, but when this type of thing happens, obviously that's not possible.

I very much hope this helps.

2007-07-05 01:46:37

Hmm...for some reason my computer is telling me I need Firefox to open .html files, so I can't read the manual. Anyone wanna tell me how to actually build stuff? I can move the peasant and footman around but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-07-05 10:24:56

Any browser can open the manual, I think. I've checked with Internet Explorer 7, it works.

2007-07-05 22:36:38

All the same, could someone tell me how to build things or how much things cost? I can't make IE open the manual. When I go to open it I'm told it's Firefox that's needed, and while I know that's not true I don't know specifically how to change it so IE opens it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-07-05 23:06:13

Hello, it's me again. Well I asked someone else to download the game for me, (at least to check if he can download) AND NO, İT WON'T  WORK.  I am not sure what is going on that I can't download this game, but I have an idea, could it be possible that a mirror for this download link can be made? I already wrote a mail to the  creater of this game about it but got no reply yet.
Ugur

2007-07-05 23:42:10

Hi. It's very odd that you can't download this game. I don't exactly know what to do about it, but I hope your problem is solved soon. Also, to open the manual in IE, if the game is installed in the default directory, go to your run box and either paste or type the following:
iexplore c:\program files\SoundRTS\help-index.htm

Hope that helps.
and move them until when you hit tab it says meadow.... Then, hit the letter A on that peasant until you hear build... that's how you do it...simplified a huge amount.

Hope that helps:
Signed:
Dakotah RIckard

2007-07-06 15:03:15

Yes guys! Jean-Luc helped me out and created a mirror link for the game, I give here for the sake of people who may not reach link, and aso to secure this link is  in record smile
http://jean-luc.pontico.club.fr/soundrt … -b6-en.exe
and this is the mirror site:
http://jean-luc.pontico.club.fr/soundrts
see you all, I will crush your computers with my army!

2007-07-06 17:01:56

Hello, I achieved to run the game and played a bit with success, but now I wonder something. in this game, is there a saving option? because whenever you start game you start from the beginning and to get into the core of the game like fighting etc will mean you have to keep the game open so long time. so what is the case?
Ugur

2007-07-08 11:57:26

i don't think so. would be a nice suggestion though.
glad you got the game going, but i am bad at it so yeah i think i'll be crushed. i played against someone this morning, who i didn't even knew, but forsome reason found on the servers list and i don't even know what killed me. lookig forward to playing with multiple players. how does that work out, do you have to destroy all your opponents' buildings, before victory? or do you just need to destroy the buildings of one opponent.

2007-07-08 12:28:42

since I can't connect to metaserver yet I played against computer of the timeI can't connect to  metaserver so I can't know what is going on with multiplayer games. but Jean-Luc said in the full release version there will be an option that you can give your IP address to connect each other for multiplayer games. I guess you have to beat  all opponents to win the game. I mean, you have to destroy all of their buildings or conquer the areas they have and build your own or simply get all places they have gone

good gaming,
Ugur

2007-07-08 18:03:59

hi,
Wow, I'm downloading it now. very cool sounding game. I can't wait...stupid dialup has to take forever, and of course its gonna take like 60 seconds just to send this meezly little message...aaaaargh. anyway I'll poast oppinions etc if and when I do get this game downloaded. aaaaa! its done. well, here goes nothing.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-07-11 04:23:21

Hi.

In SoundRTS, you must destroy all of your opponents buildings, but strangely not also their mobile units (peasants, footmen, etc.) to win the game. To access the servers that are running,. make sure port 2000 is open, if you're behind a firewall. If you're using a software firewall, make sure you add the SoundRTS program to your allow list or add list or exceptions list or whatever your particular firewall calls it. Once that's done, you should be able to see any server that is up. Note: if nobody is currently hosting a server, no servers will be up and running. That sounds obvious, but it's a little odd. If you want a server to be up, you must host it, if no other servers are available. For this, make sure that port 2000 gets forwarded to your local IP address, if you're behind a router or switch.

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no save function. On the other hand, this is simply a playable beta version that has been released to the public. Not all of the features and functions are available yet. For example, I'd hazzard a guess, considering some of the .wav sound files I've heard, that it'll eventually be possible to form alliances. This is not apparent at the moment, but I look forward to it.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard

2007-07-14 06:57:24

The port is 2500.

2007-07-18 16:47:14

Hi, I'm new at this forum.
And I'm very enthusiastic about SoundRTS.
My question is the following: when I choose single player I get into a submenu with several options reacheable as usual by pressing tab. Their name is someting like "1, single player against computer on map, passive computer". What does it mean and what's the different among these options? The game seems the same even if I choose different options.
Thanks in advance.
Capunzo

2007-07-18 19:46:53

Hi once again.
I suggest author of SoundRTS to change the way of game to saying numbers.
When game was translated in english it keeps the french way to say number, I mean for example, instead to say 70, it says 60 10. To say 96 it says 4 20 16 and it results in a big mess.
That's it wouldn't be a criticize but just a bugfixes suggestion.
Best to all.
Capunzo

2007-07-18 19:49:52

Anemis.
Hi, How can I know when I'm under attack by somebody?
How can I change orders to my soldiers to prepare them to defence?
Is there some way to know where opponent bases are located on the map?
Thanks.
Capunzo.

2007-07-19 03:47:14

Hi Capunzo.

Well, first as reguards the numbers, I always assumed that this was something going a bit wrong with the voice, rather than the French numbering system. While having it fixed would be nice, I certainly don't find it too much of a problem, sinse I can usually work out what it's supposed to be, ----- eg, four one hundred being four hundred.

Now as to your other questions. In the single player menue you have several options, first there are the tutorials which you can play through (which I highly recommend as a safe way of learning how to build etc). then, you have the choice of playing against the computer on three different maps.

Map 1 is the same map as the tutorials, and is quite small. Map 2 is a bit bigger, offers more oppertunity to explore but stil gives you a relatively protected area. map 3 is quite large, and less easy to defend.

The passive computer will basically not attack you, and is actually pretty pathetic, sinse it just leaves you alone to build up a huge army, while the aggressive computer will actually send troops to attack you, ----- quite quickly.

As for giving soldiers orders, you can order them to go to a location, ------ just find the location with tab keys or the arrows, or order them to patrol, where they will keep marching back and fourth betwene their own location and whatever location you tell them to go to. Setting the mode of the unit will cover what happens when it meats the enemy. If it's set to defensive (as peasants usually are), it'll run away, and iff offencive, it'll fight.

As for knowing where the enemy base is, you usually have to just go and discover it for yourself. However on map 1, and to some extent on map 2, you virtually know where it is, ------ on map one it's at location B4, or B1 (whichever your base isn't at).

As for alerts, you get a very terrifying bell noise when the enemy attacks one of your buildings, but to know if your soldiers or peasants run into trouble you simply have to keep checking back on them, ----- but that's all part of being a good general.

I hope all this helps you get into this great game! sound Rts is absolutely fantastic, but I do admit it can be rather confusing at first (well it confused me anyway!).

2007-07-19 04:21:27

Thank you very much. Yes this helped me a lot even I've here more and more questions.
But for now, in Italy it's 4:20AM, I'm going to let the forum. smile
Read all of you tomorrow.
Again thanks.
Capunzo.