2014-08-01 17:28:58

Hello, now my few words.

First of all, really fantastic game from my one hour session. I'll buy it for sure when i'll be charged with a cash. tongue

What I don't like?

-No footsteps - something what will add many to the game's atmosphere
-Sounds in the fight - Basically hits, misses etc will be nice to hear as in most JRPGs, opfcourse running to the enemy or from will be nice to see [See, Final fantasy VII / VIII]
-Normal attack well... roll dice isn't really interesting so Why it isn't a specific type of attack to the curent character?
-Ambiances - Yeah, always nice to hear, I have my own and lot of SFX I recorded and have with full permission for legal use, just PM me if You want my help on it.
-Lastly, SAPI only support - I hate using SAPI so HIGH REQUEST add NVDA support PLEASE

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2014-08-01 18:07:53 (edited by JasonBlaze 2014-08-01 18:16:35)

hello,wow!!! nice game!!,but,how to  use the medicine and many item in the battle??

2014-08-01 18:29:24

spoilers
this tower of judgement is rediculous, I made it to the 3rd floor, and past the water, and past the smashy smashy things, now I'm in what seems to be 3 rooms that all connect to eachother, I can't figure out how to progress, there's too many turns and I can't tell where on the map I am unless I run into something that seems familiar. there's also this big empty square that I seem to keep running into. sigh, any help would be appreciated.
also,  Ross casts a perfect embodiment of crualclaw, dealing 274 damagel!that move is... cruel.
end spoilers

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-08-01 18:38:27

Sneak,
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Make your way back to the smashy thingies.
At the bottom of the room is a few openings. One leads to the stair case.
Not up top, up top leads you to a decoy maze.

2014-08-01 18:56:59

spoilers
Oh, ok lol, thanks. I didn't even think of going back that way rofl. Looks like it was a pretty good decoy then.
end spoilers

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-08-01 20:02:38

What should I do after rescuing the girl?

2014-08-01 20:08:01

spoilers,
you should probably take her back to her boyfriend.

2014-08-01 20:09:34

I'd like also to ask the same question: Can we use potions during battles? And again to the first question: what to do after the girl.

2014-08-01 20:10:48

I took her to her boyfriend already. I want to know what to do after?

2014-08-01 20:15:39

there's only been one battle that I've been in so far where you could use potions, and it was a boss battle. You can only use them before and after the fight I think.
spoiler
If I remember correctly, you go to dinner. AKA go to the 3rd floor recreation level, then go to the dinner diner or w/e it's called.
end spoilers

2014-08-01 20:19:47

@Roro:
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
If you remember, they said they want to go to dinner. So go to the place where dinner is served on the ship, which is one of the restaurants on recreation floor 2.

2014-08-01 20:32:39

ticky
I don't think it's the fact that wall tones are uncomfortable or confusing for people... I personally don't find them that confusing. For me personally, it just takes away from the atmosphere of the game. The fact that they aren't even in the right stereo channels kind of makes them pointless to me, but that's not really for me to criticize too much. It does work. And if browsing the map isn't your thing, you wouldn't have to do it.. and it isn't for memorizing the map before navigating it, only a quick reference as to where things are. Especially in a game with large maps such as these, console games always either have a map you can pull up or at least something in the pause menu which lets you look at a smaller version of it.

Blindndangerous... I'm curious to know what jrpg's you've played. Obviously different ones myself... as I'm very used to seeing big areas in all the jrpg's I've played. lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-08-01 20:46:42

Hello all,

I started trying this game out today and cant seem to stop playing haha.
I'm loving the map, the story line in my opinion is ok butt i realy love the idea of this game.
A few things i would suggest, some i'm sure your aware of though,
1 footstep sounds would be essential, as sometimes i cant tell if i'm moving or not by the wall sounds, as the wall sounds are still and not stereo correct, and don't give any hint as to how fast or where your moving unless their are doors stairs nearby etc...
2 I find myself wanting a mission or task key, so that if you save and come back, or die, you could check the status of your game, as theirs currently no way to see what part your on if say you where killed in the first boss battle and came back a day later to try again.
3 I don't know if its just me, butt i always mix up item sounds with people sounds, as the item sound almost sounds like someone muttering or something, so i always mix them up lol. it would be cool if they where maybe changed or to have an option to switch sounds around i guess.
4 I found myself wanting a slot machine or something in the gambling area to possibley gamble the coins off to attempt gaining more money for stats.
It would be an interesting idea atleast.
5 I'd like to see a way to use potions in battle if possible, maybe as a turn instead of fighting, i find myself getting verry close to death in battles early on so it would be a cool feature for the future.
overall, i'm loving this game, some things are weird butt the concept and playability of the game keeps me adicted!

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2014-08-01 21:01:36 (edited by stewie 2014-08-01 21:01:48)

spoilers
I'm at the tower of truth area, but I can't seem to find the right teleporter or any way past them. I am liking the game so far, but the exploration is getting kind of boring and repetative. The areas have no real variety to them and you don't really get a sense of the environment.
End spoilers

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-08-01 21:35:06

spoiler
stewie, did you do anything special for the tower of fear? I'm at the boss battle, but other than nailing 7 perfect embodyments of crualclaw in a row, I can't seem to beat it lol.
end spoilers

2014-08-01 21:38:49

@asalt_freak, the wall sounds do actually come from their respective stereo channels. It's just that if you're hugging the wall the sound will be almost centered because you as the listener are right next to it.
I developed that particular feature, so I'm interested to know what would improve it?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2014-08-01 21:47:21

sneak wrote:

spoiler
stewie, did you do anything special for the tower of fear? I'm at the boss battle, but other than nailing 7 perfect embodyments of crualclaw in a row, I can't seem to beat it lol.
end spoilers

SPOILER!
Sneak, try infinite pulse. It's base power is not that much worse than embodiment of cruelclaw but it's definitely easier to cast.
If ross's HP and impact are good enough you might even be able to defeat powered up ross even if you miss a couple of infinite pulses.
End spoilers

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2014-08-01 21:49:08

For the tower of fear I just spammed heavens winds until the super powered Ross died a horrible death. I'm starting to wonder if the bosses and areas are scaled.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-08-01 21:54:10

spoiler

I finally beat it, though I used embodyment of crualclaw. I did it with 460 hp and 18 impact? lol. It took me like 0987654 tries to do it though. hardest one yet. the tower of judgement wasn't that hard, but this one was rediculous lol. The death's shadows were pretty neat, though instead of useing the enccounter down thing I just beat them up with my foam finger. AKA embodyment lol. spoiler end

2014-08-01 22:07:10

Hi,

Ok, let me chip in here with my opinion and suggestions.
First, thanks loads for finally making a game like this. I've been wanting to play something like this for ages and ages, and now I can.
I want to comment on a few suggestions that have already been made and give my opinion on them, because they are things I have thought of as well.
- Footsteps: I suppose these could be added, but it is by no means a necessity. Recall that this game uses Japanese console RPG's as its inspiration. In a huge amount of these games, there are no footsteps, nor are there sounds for bumping into stuff. Heck, pokemon on the Gameboy systems is unique because it DOES have sounds for bumping into stuff, making it far more accessible then something like Golden Sun.
- the wall tones: You know, I actually like these a lot. It sort of reminds me of using echolocation or the sound of footsteps to determine if there's anything in your vicinity. When the echo breaks off, there's open space there. I tend to walk into walls a lot until I find the correct exit, so just hugging the wall until the beep is interrupted is something I am really digging a lot.
- Battle sounds: I know this is a very tricky subject. One of the reasons I have not yet made a game myself yet is because I wouldn't have a clue on where to find fitting sounds for magic and such. But I would really like to see these added. This is something JRPG's do a lot and in my opinion it adds a lot of flare to battles. I for example cannot stand listening to final fantasy 6's battles because sounds are so very similar to each other. It is an older game, I get that, but it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.
- Screenreader support: I agree this could be added and it would certainly be a welcome addition. Personally I don't really have a problem with SAPI in this type of game, but I can imagine others might.

Lastly let me offer my time to you , developer of this game. I'm sorry, I don't know how to spell your name off the top of my head smile
If you need another coder on board, let me know. I'm willing to put time into this project, no compensation required. smile

Keep on rocking,
Balliol

2014-08-01 22:14:58

Just because the ideas were drawn from older japanese games does not mean there shouldn't be features in it to make it more enjoyable, and it's not like it would be a hard thing to toss in lol. The footsteps that is. I like the navigation, however the tones are just really obnoxious, just change the sounds to something less obtrusive and they'd be finee.

spoiler
I am totally loving tower of truth, by far my favorite level in the game, already on the third floor, had a lot of fun figuring out the correct teleporters.
end spoiler

2014-08-01 22:34:54

Hi,

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to add footsteps, just that this wouldn't be a priority to me. Your opinion may of course be different smile

Balliol

2014-08-01 23:13:16

Provided I can justify the cost, I'd like to add attack sounds and footsteps, preferribly in that order.
But not just yet, I've got a lot of things to do, starting college and everything, I'll see what I can do!
I plan to add screen reader support, at first on an experimental basis for paid users only.
After it's been used a bit and I am sure everything works fine, I'll open it up to both paying and trial users alike.
Note that Window Eyes and Jaws will not work.
Jaws because of the keyhook, Window Eyes because of it's naturally glitchy com interface BGT calls upon.
NVDA, which I believe is the one people want anyway, will work just fine, and system access may also work correctly if I choose to support it.
Cheers,
Aaron

2014-08-01 23:15:09 (edited by livrobo 2014-08-01 23:17:22)

Hello again everyone.

I've gotten myself to a point where I'm not sure how to progress.

SPOILERS ahead!

So, Gabriel just hit the switch outside of the game room. From what I gathered I'm supposed to go see waht it did. I go into the electronics area. I cannot seem to find a way to move on. I've looked around this area for like an hour now and all I can find is the initial transport pad, the person standing next to it, and two hallways north of them with things to fight inside. I can't find a break in the second wall, or another transport pad, or anything that would progress the story. I'm also kind of confused because I know I'm supposed to go to wing 5 at 10 but I thought I had to do this first.
Any help would be appreciated

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2014-08-01 23:19:38

OK, first off, I hope the dev / devs do not consider this to be full release quality software, I would consider it to be late alpha stage or early beta stage at best. There are some significant polish issues that I've come across so far. The first thing is that there seems to be no exit or quit button on the escape menu in-game and ALT-F4 does not work for this game, even though the manual indicates that it should. I did, after managing to press random keys come across the F-12, which backed me out to the start screen, and after that, I was able to quit. Suffice to say, the game does require more polish in order for it to be a professional quality release, in my opinion, try it out, maybe you will feel differently. Also, I would not consider it to be $30 software, at this time, I wouldn't even pay $5 for it.

Moving along to gameplay, there are some major issues I have come across there as well. Navigation in this game seems to be a bit off, for example the tones you hear when walking about really are quite ambiguous and after learning them in the learn sounds menu really don't give you a good indication of where you are in relation to other rooms around you. Ok, this part is hard for me to say because I have to find the right words to express this so let me think. This game seems to be based off of games like 7th Saga and Lagoona or whatever that game is called for the SNES. The problem is, that without having this knowledge, it is hard to understand why you seam to be able only to walk forward and back and not to turn, but only to sidestep or strafe about.  In these type of games, the map will remain constant and the character will turn, he will be looking in whatever direction you press the D-pad. This does not come across during gameplay, but is confusing.Now, if it weren't for the vision I do have, I wouldn't have ever played games like Chrono trigger and the like so how would someone without this experience know how to navigate. This seams to be a big deal as it took some time for me to put the pieces together in this matter. So some explanation in the documentation is in order I think. Now onto combat and let me explain my frustrations. The tutorial is good but the dragon strike scrolls are quite frankly ridiculous. The reaction time in order to complete them are superhuman at best.  I mean really, the time has to be under 200ms and the beeps get faster, who can react like that, not me. My average reaction time when tested falls between 170 and 205 milliseconds and it took me a bunch of tries to do it in the practice and I couldn't even pull it off during that part of the battle in the tutorial, I only got one part of it. Now, I get the philosophy, there needs to be some challenge to pull off some powerful spells like the dragon strike scrolls but this area of the game needs work. No one can react that fast.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert on gaming, I'm not even that good at most games, and I know some people will react badly to this post especially because it is my first post, it is a very long post, and I'm basically ripping on this game but I have an explanation later on for that.

When playing an audio game, it is important for whatever voices that are used to convey information in the game to be up to the task. This is not the case for the default SAPI 5 voice on my computer which is running windows 8.1, and Anna was worse on windows 7. That being said, for a dev to expect customers to pay for an audiogame,that product needs to have as many supported speech methods as possible to be viable for its customer base. This game needs to support screenreaders, not just SAPI 5, that's all I can say about that.

Now, why have I been so harsh in this post about this game? Because i see the potential in it, I see what a great game lies underneath all the technical stuff, UI, navigation, gameplay and the like. Instead of this being a negative post, hopefully the dev can turn it into a positive force and use that to polish up the game and to re-envigorate him or herself or themselves and make this game the best it can possibly be. My hope is that one day, there will be audiogames that have the same quality, detail, complexity and overall awesomness as todays triple A games on the Xbox 1, the PS4 and PC. Since I am too stupid to code, this is the only way I know how to respond. If the dev or devs take offense at this post, I apologize, but, the faults of this game need to be addressed, and for that to happen, the dev / devs need to know them.

To sum up, Paladin of the sky is a great game trying to break free and shine, there are some problems which I feel need to be worked out, but when they are, this will be a top notch product and will be worth its price tag. Thank you for reading this huge, insanely long post and goodbye for now.

-- Brandon Cross