2014-07-27 14:29:05

Hi, just curious what are people's favorite bible web sites are. Mine personaly is, http://www.biblegateway.com

2014-08-01 22:03:10

I love bible gateway. I can't think of any other ones at the moment.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-08-02 06:47:22

I only use bible gateway on my computer. For my iphone which is the rest of the time, I use the youversion Bible. It's amazing... reading plans, bookmarks, verses of the day, multiple versions in different languages, etc.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-08-02 07:09:22

I'll have to remember that one myself.  Nice topic, this.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-08-02 19:17:41

I use the biblegateway for everything since the youversion conveniently leaves the comments/footnotes inaccessible.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2014-08-02 23:31:57

Well, I wouldn't even know that they had comments or footnotes then... but the nice thing is they're a very responsive team. I emailed them a while back when they had huge voiceover accessibility issues... and they fixed it in the next update. Sometimes they break one form of accessibility for a while, in which case I then switch to biblegateway... until the next version of the youversion app. I'm sure if you emailed them about the comments and footnotes thing they'd take a shot at fixing it.

2014-08-02 23:35:46

Each time you see an element with
#

that's a footnote/comment or whatever. Biblegateway has them, in my favorite Bible version called the voice, and it's all accessible.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2014-08-02 23:36:08

Slightly off topic but still related to bibles: I think it would be rather interesting to get everyone's take on format preference.  How many of you actually have braille bibles, for instance?  I ask because while we have the bible available to us through various methods, somehow reading it with audio or with a screen reader which as far as I'm concerned is still simply audio doesn't seem to give me best results when reading through it.  On the other hand, it's a lot simpler than getting your hands on a braille copy, on top of being easier to manage, as a braille copy can include as many as 19 volumes depending on what version you get and so on.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-08-03 00:30:53

Devin... that would depend on which translation of the Bible you are using... as to my knowledge not all translations have footnotes and whatnot. The CEV for example doesn't, and I don't think the NIV does either.

Nocturnus, I tend to run a bible through a braille display to read, or worse case scenario use voiceover. I don't have a physical braille Bible for the reasons you mentioned... well, i kinda do. I have a copy of the NRSV from when I was young and when I stopped going to church I kinda leglected it. As a result i don't know where half the volumes are. lol

2014-08-03 02:01:28

I have a Braille bible, but have no clue where it is.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-08-03 02:53:42

Seems to me a braile bible would be hard to lose. haha So many volumes you might have to wheel it into church on a cart. lol

2014-08-03 05:28:10

I wish I had a braille display.  to be honest, that probably makes at least like a hundred things I wish for since becoming a Christian, all for the sake of serving God.  Still, he's blessed me with what I have; I just hope I can figure out how to do whatever it is he wants me to do with it.

2014-08-03 07:08:47

Try the CEV or CEB, one of those has footnotes I know for sure. When I have a braille display I read the Bible with it, and when I don't I read it with the most natural speech I have. Okay well usually with the most fluid and realistic voice I have, which either comes out to be Eloquence or MS speech platform.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2014-08-04 10:21:30

I have 2 braille bibles, or almost 2. I got one from the blind school because they said that since it was a state school they couldn't take a bible that someone donated for their library. (I hope someone has changed this rule buy now) I wish they had allowed religious books in their library though, because for me listening, is not the same as reading when I want to repeatedly go back and read something while I'm studying. sometimes I want to understand something that seems unclear to me, especially when I venture out and read texts from other religions, as getting braille versions is sometimes difficult, my listening experience can be quite ridiculous. lol I'm glad to know the difference between youversion and biblegateway on ios since I've never tried to lookfor bible apps on my new phone yet. I have tried a few daily verse apps when I had my droid but these weren't the whole bible. I remember them being hard to find and some weren't accessible, but this was back when 4.0 was the latest os for droids, I'm sure they are much easier to find now.

2014-08-04 14:17:39

I wish I had a Braille display, too. That would be useful, especially since everyone's telling me to read more Braille"