2014-07-24 18:49:10

Okay I've had a play with tap tap see and my label adapter on my perkins brailler, here's what I've found.

Tap tap see can read the card name but it might take a couple of goes, even once you find the correct side of the card, and it seems to sometimes miss off a word. One card I tried it with was simply labelled griffin and I don't know what kind of griffin. Sighted assistance may be required.

I'm using the duel deck heroes versus monsters, I haven't bothered with sleeves since it's only a duel deck but they are easily available in packs of 80 and highly recommended if you're bothered about keeping potentially valuable cards safe, or playing in proper events at a shop where they might be funny about defaced cards. Double sleeving is best for which you'll need to make sure your outer sleeves are big enough to fit the sleeved card in, the recommendation I've heard is some kind of perfect fit sleeve for the inner and KMC hyper matt for the outer. Triple sleeving is possible with certain sleeves but it's probably overkill for our purposes, double sleeving both gives thicker protection and makes sure there isn't an open end where dirt or liquids could enter.

The label tape, 9mm clear from RNIB here in the UK, sticks to the card well and should do likewise to sleeves though you may have to apply pressure to make it stick down properly. Don't be shy about putting the card face down and press on the back to make it fix, the braille seems remarkably tough. The amount of space available on the card is surprisingly large, you shouldn't have trouble fitting the name on in most cases though you may need to use contractions and go over two lines. Using the 9mm tape there seems enough space for two extra lines of tape, my thoughts would be using the third line for mana costs with the official abbreviations and some invention on our part with the fourth as the card type and any creature stats. Sighted players see one coloured symbol for each mana of a given colour, with another symbol and a number in it for colourless mana or a two coloured symbol for mana that can be one of two colours. Here's how I'd work the mana costs.

Official abbreviations
R red
B black
W white
U blue
G green

From here I'd use X as colourless. For hybrid costs I'd have them next to each other for example WR would be one white or red mana, while I'd have all other symbols separated by spaces such as W space R meaning one white and one red. I'd use one X for each colourless but there's no need to separate these.

For card types I'd go as follows where dashes represent a connection between one or more contracted symbols.

cr creature
in or in-st instant
so sorcery
ln or l-and for land
Ar or ar-t artifact

I've suggested two letter versions as alternatives if you don't know symbols such as the one for AR or AND, or if your local variation of braille uses other contractions than the ones I'm familiar with.

You can then go on to add any keywords you feel necessary such as flying, legendary and so on with whatever abbreviation you're happy with and could potentially even fit the creature's power and toughness in whatever way is clear for you. Just to make it clear feel free to change any of these suggestions if they don't fit the way your brain works.

Thoughts?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-24 22:44:44

Hello! Now I have no excuses for not being a Magic adicted! tongue
I have done a simillar process with the Yu-gi-oh cards in the past.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-07-25 02:28:20

I've been playing magic for a while now. The way I do it is off of the land types. On the basic lands, I write the full name. plains, swamp, mountain, forest, island.
Would you like to play some time over skype, CX2? I mainly play elder dragon highlander but I'm sure I can put together a 60 card deck.

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-07-25 02:31:06

I usually abreviate the name of the creature. phantasmal dragon becomes "phan drag" I put the power and toughness or card-type on the same line as the name of the creature. For the previous example, phantasmal dragon is a 5/5 flying creature.
so, phan drag 55
next line is mana:
2c2i
two colorless two island, so, four in total
on same line as mana, fly, which means flying
when-ever a spell is cast that targets phantasmal dragon, sac it
tar spe sac phan drag

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-07-25 02:32:16

Magic is a great game. it's expensive. I am not trying to buy many more cards.

2014-07-25 09:26:09

Sounds fun but I haven't got all my cards labelled yet, and I've heard the duel decks aren't all that great except against each other.

To be clear for anyone wondering I'm labelling my cards sideways so I've more length.

Magic can be expensive from  what I've seen but a lot of it depends how competitive your opponents get and what format you play. If your local players spend a lot of money on fancy cards that puts the price up for everyone, and standard is more expensive than modern. In fact I'm personally just as concerned about the cost of the label tape I'm using as I am the cards.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-25 21:37:28

I label all of mine sideways as well, just works out easier for everything involved.
I've probably spent over a hundred dollars on cards. Mainly in boosters, fat packs, an intro pack deck and a commander deck (the format I am currently playing and enjoying the most.