2014-07-23 16:35:52 (edited by aaron 2014-07-23 16:36:29)

Hello all,
I come to you today with quite possibly one of the strangest questions I have ever asked, so you will all ahve to just bare with me on this one. Well, it's more like I'd like thoughts.
I'm not entirely sure how to put this properly, but I seem to realize now that I have some sort of fondness for well, what I can only describe as small voices. I unfortunately can't give many examples, as in audiogaming terms, I don't know who to compare it to. In mainstream terms, possibly Noel from Blazblue, and some cartoon voices -- anyone remember Misty from Pokémon? Tron Bon from Marvel vs Capcom 3, others that I might be forgetting.
However, I'm wondering, why has this suddenly happened? I wouldn't consider myself looking for a relationship as such, but why do I react to these voices? It started when I ended up hearing Noel's voice a few years back. As to how I react, well I don't know how to describe how I feel. I like this sort of voice, quite a lot. I honestly don't know how to put it any more than this, and I'm struggling with what to think of it. I don't know if it's an attraction thing or... what it is, and would like thoughts. If anyone has any more questions they want to ask me, feel free, as that might bring up perhaps, some memories or other thoughts on the matter that I'm forgetting.
I'm putting this to you all because I trust this community, and thus as a result I don't mind discussing such a thing, but I'm finding it rather complex and don't know what to think of it, or how to describe it properly.
I don't really know anyone in person who has a similar voice, although I've certainly had encounters here and there. Nothing bad has happened, although I'd just end up mentioning that I like the sound of the person's voice, but I don't know if that's a good thing to mention or not.

2014-07-23 17:00:47

The voice is an easthetic human characteristic like anything else even before you start talking in termsof any kind of s/xual atraction.

I personally admire people with really rich and full voices, like a lot of African descended people of both genders have (you know the lady Karma Twilli whosings circle of life on the Lion King?), though of course sinse I spend time around a lot of trained singers I tend to find a lot of people with very unique voices that are often great to listen to, (I know one old fellow who is a base who literally makes the floor shake when he speaks, and an American lady (a ridiculously high Soprano), who's voice is so energetic it's like a cup of tripple strength expresso).  Niel Jenkins, the famous tenor is a man you can literally hear coming, sinse he projects his voice so much, it's like being hit with a brick!

This is just like finding curtains or what someone is wearing or their hair colour attractive, indeed having studdied voice myself I do know some of the mechanics involved. I've even heard of Americans who atempt to have voice lift surgery to remove some of the stiffness from the vocal folds that happens with age and sound younger than they actually are.

Regarding the specific tone, I do wonder if there is some sort of attraction there sinse it sounds like you respond to the high Soprano voices  of young women   particularlyyl, sinse you don't mention any male voices as attractivey.Aas I said, there's nothing wrong with this in itself, as long as you don't do anything bad about it of course.

I once fell madly in love with a girl who had the most wonderful alto singing and speaking voice. Of course as usual Ifell in love more with her personality than her voice, though the voice certainly helped.

You say your not looking for a relationship, I wonder perhaps if, with this attraction which from the sound of it goes a little further than just finding something pleasant to hear, your subconscious is  trying to tell you something?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-23 22:14:39

Consider whether it is simply your brain realising many of these "small voices" are performed by adult voice actors putting on a younger sounding voice. Are you finding the same reaction to adults with smaller voices? As examples perhaps Bernadette from the Big Bang Theory, Amy Wong from Futurama or Trance from Andromeda?

If this is really troubling you it might be worth considering counselling, not because you're doing anything wrong but because it's causing you so much distress.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-23 22:24:40

Amy Wong from Futurama an attractive voice? Hmmm, I confess I don't see that one myself, particularly how she screams very harshly and commically in chinese when she gets annoyed big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-23 22:29:19

I meant a small voice, I'm not entirely clear on what Aaron is describing as a small voice so I took a guess. I certainly wouldn't consider Bernadette an attractive voice myself, the actress says specifically she's imitating her mother's voice which I'm sure her mother appreciates.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-23 22:55:24

I've not personally seen the big bang theory so don't know the actress. knowing noel from Blazblu and Misty from Pokemon I assume Aaron means quite high, thinner female voices, ---- possibly Amy wong but as I said she's always a little too harsh to me to really be attractive vocally, indeed most of the people I know with those sorts of voices tend to be Sopranos (I know one lady who is in her thirties and a mother and is an amazing musical singer, but from her speaking and singing voice you'd think she was about fourteen!).

There tend to be lots of characters with those sorts of Kowyee or cute voices in Anime, such as the title character from Squid girl or Heena from rosen Maiden, though whether they actually sound appealing or just grate and get on your nurves tends to depend upon the actress and the amount of vocal resonance the voice has, sinse it is still possible for a voice to be high and be appropriately resonant, and sinse the resonance tends to be the expressive part it is usually that that I associate with being an attractive voice for either gender, though whether this is the same for Aaron I don't know.

One voice I always found appealing was Talia from Babylon 5, just because of her depth and resonance. One odd fact indeed is that the characters I thought most attractive both vocally and according to what my vision could get were ironically the two main telepaths in the series, which probably says I'm a strange fellow :d.

Though in case your wondering, no, I didn't find much appealing about Alfred Besta beyond the fact that he's named after an author who wrote some pretty good books big_smile.

2014-07-23 23:07:16

Hi

I really don't find this that weird so don't worry too much about it, I mean, maybe in normal conversation people would be a bit confused and put off but I read it and then I was just like, ehh, what ever, partly because I know that the male human brain finds higher voices more attractive specifically because in the brain's sort of basic line of thinking when it comes to mating, it basically just assumes that, higher voice equals more female equals more easily fertilized and better at carrying till term.

Diddo for females, they like a lower voice with more base, because lower voice equals more male equals better chance of fertilization, and more protection from danger while pregnant and vonerable.

This is allot of the reason why many people hear their own voice on a  recording and want to go home and eat a Glock rather than hear it any longer, because not only does the shape and composition of the skull make your own voice sound more reverberant and full, the brain also wants to think you sound more like a male or more like a female because that means you measure up to it's instinctual measuring stick better.

Obviously you can override this to some degree, having ore confidence in the way your voice sounds, wanting to sound like a female when you are a male or like a male when you are a female for personal reasons, hearing your own voice so much that you get used to it, etc, but the basic rules don't change much.

So your either going through a natural phase, or you have a bit too much of this measuring going on, or something else, I'm guessing it's the first one, if you worry about it, I suggest talking to a doctor, it can't hurt, allot of them got their degrees by working in the ER where a surprising amount of people, mostly guys show up with things jabbed up their you know what's, that have to be removed, and apparently it happens enough so that allot of full time ER staff just get used to it, and that's not even counting the multiple stab wound cases, the enormous amount of druggies who are their because they are just trying to get usually pain meds, to fuel their fix, meds that could help someone else that needs them way more, etc, so really, this is nothing.

It also doesn't mean your into children if that's what your driving at, that's literally such a backwards way of thinking instinctually that you would be displaying allot more problems than this, plus it's almost never something you can just grow into unless you were very abused, probably by someone who is  into children them selves, so please, don't worry about that, all you will do is make your self sick.

I'm also no expert on the subject at all, but I have a few friends in the field, and I do like to read well sourced material about things on the internet, so knowing that, there's my info, and all I can say is that you shouldn't worry too much about this and that if you do? then talk to a professional, for your sake.

2014-07-24 01:28:04

Hi folks,
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm actually laughing right now, as I wouldn't actually consider myself stressed over it. I was interested in what others think, so I thank you for your responses.
I've encountered adults with similar voices, indeed I know about voice acting. I find it very interesting to compare their normal voices to their character voices, and find this to be very expressive.
If I can find any examples of these "small" voices I'll let you know, but they're kind of hard to find tbh, which makes this kind of annoying.
Honestly though, I'm not too worried, much less now that I've seen your responses. I doubt I'll need councilling or anything like that over this, as I'd just consider it a phase I'm going through, albeit a sort of random one.

2014-07-24 11:24:15

Everyone has their own criteria for attraction, understanding it is just a healthy part of getting to know yourself. Personally I find if I like someone's personality enough my tastes shift in other regards to fit around that person, which is a rather strange experience though one I've got used to.

I would debate that the human male naturally seeks out high pitched voices though, the stereotypical sexy female voice is husky rather than high pitched. It doesn't really impact me the same way which just goes to prove nothing is universal but there it is. As for disliking your own voice, heck do I know that one. Whenever I hear my own voice I swear I sound gay though no one else seems to hear it.

cx2
-----

2014-07-24 14:58:24 (edited by aaron 2014-07-24 14:59:08)

Hi,
I agree, I think the, as you call it, sexy female voice, well, I don't actually like it. I prefer the higher pitched voices. In the past I've been known to turn my head slightly and such if I hear one, but I have to be careful as I don't want to be like I'm staring or listening in too much. Interestingly, I actually seem to find adults (females) with this kind of voice to be a rare occurrence so I'm glad whenever I get to hear one. I think that might actually be part of it, the fact that the voice seems, as I like to call it, unique and a break from the mold of these deep voices I hear a lot of the time.

2014-07-24 23:57:22 (edited by defender 2014-07-24 23:58:03)

Hi

CX2 I know what you mean, but I'm more saying sexual in the scientific sense, you will generally physically react more to a higher pitched voice, e.g. your subconchous will be thinking about it allot more, that doesn't mean you can't be attracted to other kinds of female voices, also as I said, you can override it to some degree.

But yeah you do bring up a good point, it's just what I've heard in a few places.

Also Aaron, good to hear that your chill about this, I just wanted to be sure, lol.

2014-07-26 10:09:22

oh no, this one will make you laugh.
Brain association is an odd thing to endure some times.
Some times it's attraction, both in the physical sense, and other times, it's just your brain reacting and learning from reflexive responses.
And like a habit, some times it's hard to brake your train of thought, reflex, or learned responce... , no matter what it might be.
To this day, because of things that happened to me when I was younger. A lot younger. Every time I hear a "Reda and Runt" song. From an unmentioned cartoon show, I actually find myself reflexively, reactively? Honestly.
Yawning while certain parts are playing. The same, exact parts of the song.
Every, single, time. Each time I play it. Even from old audio tapes that I found in a box from when I was a kid.
The brain can develop some strange reflexes, triggers, Kata? When enough, or the correct stimulation is given to just about any situation.
Ponder that one for a while.
Hey, does that Rhyme?
No, ok then, moving on.
SHRUGS

The eyes, unfortunately, are not the windows to the soul. They are, however, the windows to deception. Trust not what your eyes see, for they can be easily fooled.