2014-07-21 21:38:05

Some of you may be aware of the excellent podcast Monkeys Took my Jetpack made by Eric otherwise known for his appearances on the Maccessibility podcast. If you're at all interested in role playing, or just plain geeky story telling I strongly urge you to check out the previous highly humorous Captive Souls series of podcasts and the current excellent series where they play the Dresden Files RPG, based on the urban fantasy novels from Jim Butcher. You won't be disappointed.

Which gets me to the topic at hand here: Have you ever tried role playing via Skype? Have you ever been curious? I haven't had the privelige myself though I did try a forum based effort once, which fell apart both because I wasn't able to get online to check as regularly as I probably should and because other players fell out of the group as we went on.

Also up for discussion, what kind of role plays ettings do you like? What rules systems do you like? I've read a fair few for fun and I have to admit I feel D&D 4E was too prescriptive by far, trying to imitate a turn based computer RPG too much. At the same time the rules light style of the games by Spectrum Games such as Cartoon Action Hour seem fun and fast but also don't give me much feel for the detail of the situation. I think World of Darkness probably got it about right for my tastes, though since I've always had an interest in Warhammer 40,000 the RPGs based on that setting have a natural appeal to me.

Oh and my 4 year old guide dog Kirk, who I got just about the time I retired as moderator, is my unofficial gaming mascot so anywhere I can work him in is always fun.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-22 02:16:48

I've actually gotten in a few roleplays via Skype, because I wasn't able to make it over to my friend's house. It was interesting, because I lacked tactile D&D dice, so I wound using a number generator. As for me, I like Advanced D&D, and hope to be a Dungeon Master some day.

2014-07-22 02:48:20

Hey guys. I often roleplay using skype. We do not use a preset game system, instead we create our own rules. I play as the game master most of the time, but I am afraid my skill in english is not enough to allow me to play with you folks, sorry. I also use a virtual dice roller.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-07-22 15:49:36

Haramir, I was more interested in simply starting a discussion about the subject though if a group had come together I wouldn't have objected. Making up your own rules is great if you're able to do it, both with the ability of the GM to handle it and the ability of the group to respect it without anyone disagreements. There are enough rules disputes with ready made rules systems so I'm impressed that a group can make a homebrewed rules system work.

King gamer, tactile D&D dice? I know I saw some braille poly dice on the 3D printing site Shapeways a while ago but it was something like £200 for a full set, mostly because of the costs charged by Shapeways themselves I suspect. I'd be interested to hear anything you have to say about them. Unless of course I've completely misunderstood and what you mean is there was no one there to read the printed dice so you'd have needed either a computer dice roller or tactile dice to play.

I've found the iOS app mach dice, that's mach with a H as in the speed measurement, works reasonably well when I've tested it you just have to tweak the settings and move away from the "one roll engine" which only seems to work with D6 anyway. You can enter dice in normal dice notation but note that the keys work as buttons which need either to be double tapped or split tapped, you can't do the hold and lift like with a normal iOS keyboard. I've experimented with GMA Dice but I found its randomness was a bit lacking, it always seemed to give me rolls on the low end, though I was using it for the aborted forum game of Shadowrun which involved rolling many D6 at once so you might have more luck using it with just one or two dice at a time.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-23 19:08:32

It would be kind of cool to do this, although I think part of the fun of RP is being physically with people. Socializing for geeks!
If you would like a dice roller, I can totally make one in python in like 5 minutes, those are so trivial... LOL
Setup would have something like:
how many dice would you like?
how many sides would you like?
then on the role screen it would have:
press return or r to repeat and press c to change.
press q to quit
Is that something you would like me to create? big_smile

2014-07-23 19:25:18

Oh there's plenty of dice rollers flying around one way or another so unless someone else has a specific need for a python dice roller I probably wouldn't go to the trouble, though I very much appreciate the offer.

It's like any kind of social activity, in person is great but sometimes the people you want to hang around with or the topics you want to discuss aren't available in person or at least not in the quantities you'd like. That's kinda the point of this forum, how many people do you know who you speak with in person on any kind of regular basis who play audio games? Similarly you can ask, how many people do you know in person who role play?

I think everyone on here would like a café down the street full of audio gamers to chat with, real life doesn't always oblige. That's where the internet comes in.

cx2
-----

2014-07-23 23:18:50

@Frastlin: Yes, please! Python is one of the two languages I have a good grasp on, so that would be much appreciated.

2014-07-24 09:52:40 (edited by frastlin 2014-07-24 22:14:48)

Hey,
I have a couple options:
1. I can create just a single file .pyo that you can run with python 2.7.
2. I can make a .exe of the same file
Both the above would be console based.
3. I can make it in pygame and make it much more complex looking, so you would not be able to read it without knowing pygame.
I'd of coarse share the .py files along with the .exe.
If you would like to read some code though,
check out my little console game

2014-07-24 19:06:10

Hey folks. Frastlin, can you add a way for us to add values to the rolls? For example: If I want to add in my dexterity to the dice value and my current dex is 3, what I want to do is roll 1d20 plus 3.
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-07-24 22:12:58 (edited by frastlin 2014-07-24 22:16:12)

Would you like a gui interface or console interface? something like Swamp or a bgt game uses a console interface for moving through menus, something like my game above uses a console interface.
thanks,

2014-07-24 22:38:44

Well actually both are fine to me.
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-07-26 01:29:13

I'd like the .pyo file, since I could blug in buffs and the like, directly in to the file.

2014-07-26 05:22:37

What do you mean by "bufs?
What I could do is create the ability to make different profiles for each role, then you can press that number on the keyboard or arrow down to it in order to edit it. When you create or edit them, you can add bufs to them.
When adding the bufs, It can ask something like:
Would you like to add, subtract, multiply or divide the total?
Then you can choose what you wish and enter the number you desire.
So I could press:
add, then 4.3
and it would add 4.3 to what ever I rolled.
Would that work?
Then that profile would be saved with that buf. What I can also do is make it so you can add bufs to them when you press the number to role.
The question is, would you like more than 9 slots for presets?
If I make only 9, I can make the ability to just press say 1 and preset 1 will role.
If I do entry, you would need to type "23" and hit enter and preset 23 would role. You could of coarse hit the up or down arrow to find the preset you wished.
I don't play that many games like this, so don't know what people would want.
When you add a die, you could also do the same.

2014-07-26 09:47:05

I loved role playing on skype. When I could get a big enough party or adventure group to do so.
Did everything from Shadow run like clones, to dragon lance. To a few military styled games a few of my friends tried to develop. Loved it. And miss it greatly. God help me I'm such a geek. I've even played a modified version of cricket.
G.M.A's dice roller game, program, thingy. It helped out a lot.
Later.
NEO

The eyes, unfortunately, are not the windows to the soul. They are, however, the windows to deception. Trust not what your eyes see, for they can be easily fooled.

2014-07-26 12:28:45

It seems fine to me.
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-07-30 23:48:25

OK, Sorry for taking so long,
here is the basic dice roler.
It has profile support, saves on close and shouldn't crash. It runs on any system with python 2.7 installed and the .exe file runs on windows
please let me know your comments!

2014-07-31 00:40:43

Yay, thanks!
Best regards, Haramir.

2014-08-05 10:12:11

I love roleplaying over Skype. To be more accurate, me and my regular online RP group use Teamspeak now since the interface is way more accessible with Jaws, as long as someone you know is hosting a server, of course.

I've played all kinds of games over Skype including Pathfinder (an alternative to Dungeons and Dragons), Shadowrun, World of Darkness games such as Mage, Call of Cthulhu, Iron Kingdoms, 316: Adventure Amongst the Stars and Apocalypse World. Oh god, I'm such a geek and I so love roleplaying!

I've even played Skype RP games where I've set up a webcam for sighted players to see a battle mat for prescriptive games where you use figures such as Pathfinder or the newer versions of D&D.

I use GMA Dice and it meets my needs fine, apart from the fact that you can't roll more than 10 dice at a time (especially annoying for Shadowrun and World of Darkness.

In general, as long as you trust your group not to cheat, Skype roleplaying is a wonderful way of keeping in touch with your friends and your favourite hobbies when people move away. My current group has someone in Seattle in the US, Swansea in Wales and Norwich in England.

2014-08-05 22:43:30

I have never roleplayed over Skype, although it's something I've always wanted to do.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-08-06 09:24:30

I recommend looking for forums for your favourite games. Get to know people on there and there's bound to be a call for members of a Skype group sooner or later. As long as you've come over as a nice enough guy, you're sure to be considered.

2014-08-06 17:13:41

Yep, that sounds like the right way to get started. However, I have attempted to join groups before, but to my dismay it was a requirement to use map tool or open RPG.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce