2014-07-21 06:25:52

Anyone know of one that's easy to use, accessible and can convert copy-protected dvds? There's a series of documentaries I'm trying to rip... already searched around for downloads but can't seem to find any. Anything would be appreciated.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-07-21 17:12:37

I'm going to presume that you own all the dvds you're trying to rip, as otherwise its pretty much against copyright to copy them. This does include rented movies; if you don't 100% own it, don't mess with it at all. If you do own it, once you have it on the computer, don't distribute it.
With that out of the way, there are a number of programs out there to do what you're looking for. The mainstream one is handbreak, which has both a graphical interface and command-line. That said, its hardly accessible graphically, and I personally found the command-line to be  highly confusing. If you can get it to work though, handbreak will both decrypt and convert the dvd for you.
Otherwise, you'll have to get multiple programs. One to decrypt the video, and one to convert it to a format you want to use. A google search of free dvd decrypter will turn up a functional product from dvd video soft, which will be able to get the job done. Its not 100% perfect accessibility wise though, and only does decryption. That said, its easy to use and works pretty well.
My personal favorite is a small program called dvd decrypter, which will decrypt videos, burn iso images, and a number of other things. Its completely accessible with a review cursor, has a simple command line interface, and will happily run three or four copies of itself at once without hogging your processor time. Unfortunately when I just checked, the website for the program seems to be down. I've uploaded it to dropbox, and will leave it for about a week:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/856 … crypter.7z
Once you have a decrypted dvd (each one will take about 8gb) you need to convert it. From what I've seen, pretty much any video converter will allow you to convert dvd movies. I use free dvd to video converter from dvd video soft, which works pretty well, and will make videos in several formats (I use mp4 and end up with about 1gb final products). That said even after decryption there are some movies you won't be able to convert, and for those there's nothing I've found that works.