2014-07-20 14:52:07 (edited by Socheat 2014-07-20 14:56:06)

Here is the message I copied from the other site I found it:

Microsoft is warning customers that the end is soon coming for Windows 7 in much the same way it came for Windows XP earlier this year.

Microsoft is warning customers that the end is soon coming for Windows 7 in much the same way it came for Windows XP earlier this year. The company will end free mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but users will continue to get security updates till 2020.

The move will mostly affect consumers. Businesses that pay for extended Windows 7 support, as most of them do, will be supported for another five years, until January 14, 2020.

That's important, because many businesses are right now are in the process of upgrading their old Windows XP PCs, but they're moving to Windows 7, not Windows 8.

There's some speculation that, given the popularity of Windows 7, Microsoft might change its mind as the date nears and continue to support it a bit longer, like it did for Windows XP. All told, Microsoft supported XP for about 13 years.

That kind of extension doesn't seem likely at this point. Remember, Windows 8 basically includes a full version of Windows 7, called Desktop mode. With Windows 8.1, it's possible to run a Windows 8 machine in Desktop mode and almost avoid the new-and-confusing Windows 8 part of the OS.

And Microsoft really needs to nudge consumers into buying Windows 8 machines. More Windows 8 machines means more developers will want to write software for Windows 8, which will make more people want to buy it.

By the way, Microsoft also set an end-of-life of mainstream support for Windows 8 (including the latest version, Windows 8.1), for January 9, 2018.

This is another hint that Microsoft should have its next version of Windows ready in 2015, code-named "Threshold" (sometimes referred to as Windows 9).
If Microsoft plays its cards right, Windows 9 will be to the unloved Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to Vista, which InfoWorld ranked No. 2 on its list of the 25 biggest tech flops (also PCWorld's Biggest Tech Disappointment of 2007).

2014-07-20 16:12:32

Hi.

Wow, looks like Microsoft isn't playing around anymore, they mean business and want money money money. Why is it that Microsoft cranks out something really good, then turns up something terrible then in a desperate attempt to make things right again cranks out yet something else?
It happened with Vista, it happened with Windows 8, and will probably continue to happen.
Oh well, I'm not a Microsoft customer anymore.
I'll stick to Mac OS X and Windows XP.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-07-20 16:43:10

Oh, whatever. Not only is 7 not all that good, but let's face it, ending mainstream support is nothing like ending the life of a product. So 7 users can and should just carry on, until MickeySoft gets a clue and releases Windows 9 with an all-modern architecture and internals, with all-familiar start menu and compatibility.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-20 18:29:43 (edited by livrobo 2014-07-20 18:38:47)

Personally, I'm one of the people who don't see that as a bad thing.

Being completely honest, I don't see what's so great about windows 7. My main computer had some problems a few days ago, so I had to switch back to windows 7 on one of my older laptops while I resolved the other system; and truth be told, I couldn't stand it. This may be more because I've gotten used to windows 8, but I could never go back to 7.
In my case, windows 8 seems to perform better in everyday tasks. It's supposed to be better at managing battery consumption, but I can't speak for that since I never really paid much attention. But even in simple tasks such as browsing around with Firefox, windows 8 is superior to seven IMO. There's also the startup speed increase which is even more so using UEFI and secure boot.

Oh and don't get me started on XP. I'm not even going there.
smile

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2014-07-20 19:32:55

I felt the same way about Jaws, Windows, ec. Frankly I use Windows because it's what I had grown accustomed to, but I'm all about Apple, and even Androids are terrible and dont' compare well to Apple. Besides, Apple was first witht eh computers, whereas Microsoft was only competing against them.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-07-20 20:39:07

I never actually thought of that but now that you bring it up I remember that you're right. LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2014-07-20 21:37:23

LOL. Just tipical. I already placed my windows seven desktop order without making sure I will get patches for the for seeable future. LOL. I didn't choose eight because me not liking the tile interface. I'm wanting to give them time to straten that mess out. I want all my windows settings in one place and eight at least two different settings to worried, or at least far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tire interface has its' own settings set a side from the regular desktop settings. Anyway, people who want to read up on this end of life thing, they can go here and here.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-20 21:38:06

Well if Microsoft is thinking of going  bye with win7 they have another thing coming.
For all of us guys that just switched xp because we were essentially forced to even though xp is still better than even windows7 in some respects.
Now I have just upgraded all the computers to 7.
We don't have the cash to do another update so soon.
so ms better think before canning it.
windows7 still has the old style uac.
no modern app support, no needing a ms account to sign in.
no modern cloud based systems.
Nothing like that.
Can't they just leave us desktop users alone for once.
as for 8 and 8.1 I guess its not that bad but I'd hate it if I had to use the thing full time without classic shell.
I have had to do some critical survicing on a win8 system for 2 hours over the weekend.
luckily I was able to search what I needed in the start screen and that was ok and everything else I used was the same.
I do plan to shove over to win 9 when it comes out maybe another of the users may upgrade his box, but I only just got this laptop and I am hardly going to  splash out on another just  so I can get windows 9 on it.
at least not unless it breaks.
I may have to buy windows 9 ofcause and loose most of my feature set but I do wander what ms thinks.
Not to mention we havn't seen windows9 yet only rumours.
I do hope that they are true ms tries to innovate and always gets it out to fast.
In 8's case it was a mixed bag.
if you had a tablet, or several of them and a phone and a pc.
then you were roling in it and wanted it.
But if you don't or just have a desktop then you don't want it.
On the other hand with flash integration on 8 that's one less package to install and that's a less of a headache for us admins.
Another thing is that most of the explorer and desktop windows at least for what I needed were ok and most of the desktop apps I used were ok.
6 years is a while away I only used  support once for windows update.
I have not needed to use ms support officially so far at least not since xp and the support was so bad I had to reformat to make the problem created go away.
My main gripe with windows is that when it breaks the breaks are in an obscure place and require obscure registry edits to fix if you are lucky or running of some fixer apps if you are lucky.
If you have to fiddle round its almost easier to just reformat or wait for an upgrade package if it ever comes.
Right now for example I have an issue with task schedualer where it errors on a task.
I tried to fix things but ended up in stuffing up everything!
Luckily I had backed it all up.
So its  still broken but since I don't need to use it I don't have a problem with it.
Another issue is whenever I plugin an hard drive or anything there is a 10% chance that windows will ask me to reformat.
if I then unplug the drive and plug it in again it works.
I am sure that has to do with how windows checks things are powered.
I also have it where my network will drop the connection and or all cards forcing me to restart from time to time.
After talking to Toshiba I have reduced this but it still happens once a week or so.
My cousin with win8 has the same issue from time to time so its not just me.
But to be honest its not a critical issue and seems to mainly happen when the box has been idol for a time.
Again its an issue which I have chosen to ignore.
And in fact as long as it doesn't effect my performance there are many issues I have chosen to not bother with.
Sometimes when the system starts it does not always come up right, but since it fixes itself I have chosen to ignore that to.
On xp a lot of my issues did not exist at all!
But it was old and ms killed it.
now win7 is old and with the future of the windows environment a bit more uncertain hmph!
At least with 8 there was no choice but to revert.
only those that want  enterprise stuff and want touch will have it as it should be.
Or if you have a tablet then yeah I guess its ok.
But for the rest of us keyboard users touch is for the phone, the I pad and the tablet not the computer.
I even have my laptop touch pad off.

2014-07-20 23:05:15

Is Classic Shell an option though? Can you use 8 with Classic Shell and not regret it? Seems you still have to change all the file associations, so you don't drop into TIFKAM apps ...

Ah, sod it, sod them, and sod everyone in this industry who think they know better than the users. Including, yes, Apple, when it suits them. Bastards, the lot of them.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-21 01:35:34

Fully agree with you sebi. Damnit, xp has been released in 2001 and they cut support for it in 2014, and 7 was released in 2009 and they're cutting support for it in 2015? That hardly seems fare.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-07-21 02:27:37

I think what people are forgetting here is that XP was extended far passed its end of life cycle. The exception not the rule. All of Microsoft's prior Windows releases such as 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Millennium, and even 2000, had relatively support cycles compared to XP. I think what happened with XP is that Microsoft managed to sell XP to the masses, and when they finally came out with Vista they were unable to sell it and had to continue on with XP until Windows 7 came out. Even then Microsoft could not get the majority of XP users to upgrade so Microsoft continued supporting it until cutting it off last spring. With Windows Vista, Windows 7, and so on Microsoft is going to cut their losses and drop support for them quickly in the hopes of making some sort of come back with Windows 9.

For the people who just switched to Windows 7 and crying fowl its a case of you snooze you loose. Some of us, myself included, switched years ago, and now the hardware in those computers are beginning to need upgrades anyway. So we can upgrade to Windows 9 and probably invest in new hardware at the same time knowing we got a good five or six years out of our Windows 7 boxes. For those of you just switching your hardware will in all likelihood be Windows 9 compatible so you are only looking at an inexpensive upgrade fee. Usually, a Windows upgrade is $80 or so, and that should be plenty cheap enough for most people on SSI or similar. I find it is completely fair, and don't feel a bit sorry for the people just now getting Windows 7 boxes when it is reaching end of life. You should have done it two, three, or four years ago, and not now. So you have no right to complain when you made the choice to hang onto your prior OS until the absolutely last minute possible.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-21 02:47:51

burak wrote:

Fully agree with you sebi. Damnit, xp has been released in 2001 and they cut support for it in 2014, and 7 was released in 2009 and they're cutting support for it in 2015? That hardly seems fare.

True.

2014-07-21 03:24:16

to me nooooooo!
I like win 8 7 8.1 and I like to be win 9 with start menu and start screen, say, start menu is windows key and start screen is control+escape

Luis Carlos Gonzáles Moráles, from Panama!

2014-07-21 03:32:26

When I went and bought the hard where for my latest system, I tried to future proof it a bit. In my case, it's a case of trying to hold out until MS settals on a UI and get all the bugs worked out. My current XP machine has been running sense 2006 and my money has been tyte. So, I of cource upgrade when I can, but that doesn't happon as often as I would like at times. If it wasn't for a friend helping with the JAWS upgrades, I may have dumpt that along time ago for NVDA. The seven machine, which I should be getting in my hands soon, should be fully upgradeable asuming that nine doesn't require any more than seven and eight. I think I may have forgotten to by a touch screen. Can you get one of those? To me, a touch screen nor a touch screen interface really don't make sense for a desktop set up, and it seemed like eight was design for that kind of interface. That is part of my complaint when it comes to eight. Then again, maybe if you have the screen flat on the desktop... As for the over all public, you have MS changing the UI when it comes to vista, and you have them changing it again when it comes to eight. Is it any wonder that some of the public are on edge? LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-21 03:37:57

You e, Microsoft  one f those big industries that eats up everyone's money, though they already have enough. I personally don't use 7, so this doesn't affect me as much, but here's what happened when I did.

For some reason, though we entered the correct product key for 7 that was on the cd, it was telling me to activate windows. One day, I got fed up, and clicked on it to see why it kept popping up. It said that the key was invalid, so I looked it up in help and support. Want to know what it said? "Buy a new one."
  So does anyone on this forum, after that scenario,, honestly think I'd ever, I mean ever, upgrade to windows 9 if it comes out, or even 8.1? The only reason I even use 8 is because it came with the new machine I got for Christmas, and I have classic shell. To tell you the truth Microsoft is seeming more and more like freedom scientific.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-07-21 04:12:06 (edited by Socheat 2014-07-21 04:12:39)

well, most people have their own preference... so, we can't complain much. big_smile
Socheat.

2014-07-21 05:01:41

The following article, will be quite useful to "most" of you:
http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/07/window … res-price/

2014-07-21 06:11:33

Well, that's good articals.

2014-07-21 06:37:31

Hi.
I use win eight and will upgrade when nine comes out.
Honestly I don't get what people are complaining about, the way I see it upgrade and move on.

Yes windows is quite buggy when it comes to seven and eight, but who knows Nine might be better.
As for all this touch screen stuff, no we don't need it and if you have a laptop or pc it shouldn't affect you.
I know NVDA is meant to have touch screen support but it doesn't seem to, or not for me anyway.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-07-21 11:57:21

Intresting post trenton. severestormsteve, I thought it was FS coming more like MS. LOL. As an over all note, why the change in UI. the article indecates that it is to make all of their platforms look a like. Why not design their UI to best fit the invirement in question. That is where, at least in part, my complaint lies. From the bits and peaces of info that I have came across, windows eight has an UI that is half desktop and half touch based UI. My problem with the UI is alos dealing with the different sizes of the tiles on the start screen. They seem to make the start screen (which replaces the start menu) into a second desktop. Trust me, one of those is enough. LOL. I may update to nine when it comes out if it meets my needs or I have no other choice. As for why it being design for a touch screen mattering, try using the IPad with just the keyboard and you might see what I mean. LOL.

DropBox Referral

2014-07-21 12:04:24

But still, windows 7 is still great for me. big_smile

2014-07-21 20:27:48

The title is misleading: "users will continue to get security updates till 2020".

2014-07-21 21:52:15

To be fair MS did technically end support for XP in 2009. I'll admit while I don't like any of the business practices employed by such companies I find MS's insistence on completely redesigning the UI with every new version incredibly irritating.

I have a mid 2009 Mac Book Pro and while I love it for general tasks Mac OS simply doesn't run enough games, or even a decent mud client. I also don't like the pricetag, the fact that even desktop macs tend to use laptop components to cut down on size as well as heat and power which also has a drop in performance, and the fact that they're becoming increasingly difficult to upgrade. I just can't be bothered with all the little hassles that can come with Linux. When my current systems, aforementioned MacBook pro and a self build win 7 ivybridge I7, wear out I'll have to seriously reassess the situation. Not least among my concerns is backward compatibility, something Windows has often had serious problems with especially in regard to games.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-22 01:18:03

Which is why I am still running win7 32 bit here.
I must admit after all my screaming last year I have not really touched dos of late, but to be honest I am sorting out an Linux box which was an old xp box.
My boxes a laptop and 2 desktops one an i5 duel and one an i5 quad are able to go 64 bit the i5 is 64 bit right now with ssd so I have no issue with updating.
the i3 is a first generation so it may need upgrading  but who knows.
it may be time for another laptop by the end of 6 years its still a long way off.
My plan is to upgrade at least the newest box to win9.
I do hope that ms does separate the desktop and tablet systems though and sets things at least back to normal.
I think because of the business related backlash they have no choice but who knows

2014-07-22 14:57:43 (edited by Socheat 2014-07-22 15:07:17)

SoundMUD wrote:

The title is misleading: "users will continue to get security updates till 2020".

I just copied from another site. they just said like that. the main title.
lol
Socheat.