2014-07-20 00:37:40

Hi, I'm very new to this site, and to the world of audio games!  I had NO idea how much there is out there!  I remember looking at one site for accessible games a long time ago, and being seriously unimpressed.  But this site is amazing!  I don't know where to begin!  Not complaining, you understand ...just a bit overwhelmed!  I see everything I like on the games list, (well, except for bejeweled) which is probably impossible, but I have enough vision for match games, so long as the graphics are straightforward and I don't have to deal with time limits.  Didn't see any mahjong either, though again, that might not be possible.  What I did see, though, were a bunch of solitaire games (yummy), and some other card and word games I enjoy, and a whole bunch of things I want to try ...but which first?????  Ah, the stress (smiling happily).  Delighted to have found this site, and look forward to participating on the forum.

2014-07-20 01:22:12

Hi Damascena
welcome to the forum.

I'm pleased you like the game database.  there is some  more stuff to add as usual, but  that is  always the way big_smile.

Regarding solitare games etc, I'd highly recommend checking out those by spoonbill, Bg  Penguin solitare etc. They are very well put  together and also have some nice low vision options as well. I can't say solitare is my thing, but i love their cribbage and whist games.

Jim kitchin's games are also good, and if you enjoy unique takes on cardgames and have access to an Ipad or Iphone, i can highly  recommend lost cities.

If I remember  rightly bejeweled is a tetris style game? there aren't too many of those yet, though  some people have had a go.

one thing to note about the db is that you can search by game enre genre, so say if you want to look up puzzle games, rpgs or mmorpgs etc, that is the place to do it.

Regarding low vision access, well with the site being called "audiogames.net" it's devoted to games that are playable either completely by sound or by screen readers. Some have a few coloured or black and white tyles for navigation  aides, but the majority don't.

The only ones that do are either games like    the smugglers space stratogy series that are actually sighted space  stratogy games which just happen to be accessible with a screen reader, or the terraformers, which has full graphics, though these are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Sinse however I also  play games graphically, I might be able to give you some suggestions, heck i still have a snes and a gamecube here which I enjoy playing games on (I'm a big mega man and Metroid fan, though i  enjoy some puzzlers like tetris attack as well). for example go to http://www.michi.nu/  for  Archaeist and To hell with Jonny, some of the best low vision access games I've seen which have everything from speaking menues, to fully customizable graphics with contrast fixes. They are sort of  detailed action style games.
If you can sea  white on black you will find something useful in those games.

If you want any other recommendations either of audio games or some low vision ones I know your welcome to ask.

Btw, Sinse your topic is about games as well as  introducing yourself I'm moving it to the  General game discussion room. Offtopic tends to mean "anything not! about games"

Hope you have fun on the forum, any questions, you can chek the Site faq (it's the second topic in general game discussion), or just ask.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-20 05:27:08

Hi,
Welcome to this awesome forum! big_smile Hope you're having fun in this forum, and find something to interest you.
Thanks much,
Socheat.

2014-07-20 10:50:10

Well, actually, I have already made my first strike, and I'm having grand fun playing Crazy Eights on All In Play.  So much so that I went ahead and bought a membership, just so I can play all the games.  Still taking a very leisurely prowl through the games list, and finding goodies!  BTW, thanks for the link!  I'll definitely take a look, since I can swim very well in audio waters and somewhat competently in very calm visual waters, so long as MAGIC doesn't get too upset.

2014-07-20 11:41:53

Ah, well we'll have to have a low vision games discussion at some point sinse generally speaking the db is audio only as I said, though I personally still do a lot of visual stuff, though sinse mainstream games went annoying and 3D not as much (I do still love my Snes though).

The db is pretty huge, and there's lots to see. It's actually quite funny to think that back in 2006   when I first discovered this forum myself I  did exactly the same thing, wandering through the db and trying  everything! though at that point the db was about a third the size it is now  meaning you've got quite a task ahead of you big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-20 17:55:07

Damascena, welcome to the group!  We are always happy to gain new people, and we all hope you have a blast trying out all of the new games.  As Dark said, many of the games in the list will not contain any graphics.  To add to your list of games that do contain low-vision graphics, all of the games by Aprone (me) do.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-07-20 19:37:03

Awesome discussions. I particularly like the discussion about mental sports that involve strategies whereas those that involve action and exploration.
You should also check out the Quentin C's Playroom, RS Games, Blind Adrenaline to play more card games with human players. I never heard of the app Lost Cities. Is it like Dice World?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-07-21 10:29:12

Isn't Dice world a dice rolling program rather than an actual game?

Lost cities is a strategical card game which is sort of like a mix of king's corner solitare, uno and whist, but with some unique elements of it's own.
it uses custom cards rather than the  standard pack and is very good with vo. Check it's page in the db for more information.