2014-07-19 14:54:21

hi.
i thought, if we will take all the harry potter books, and change only one thing: harry potter is blind.
how could he use the magic wand on a target? how could he catch snitch in the quiditch?
and how could he fight against voldemort and deatheaters, if he was blind?
and the main thing: could harry potter learn in hogworts if he a blind or not?
lets think about that.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-19 15:10:10

Kamochek, I don't see any reason why Harry Potter couldn't do most of those things if he was blind. Just because a person is blind obviously does not mean he or she is helpless. If Harry wanted to use his wand on a person all he would have to do is point the wand towards the sound of his/her voice and activate the spell. So its not like being blind would seriously effect Harry's ability to cast spells and so on.

As for learning things at Hogwarts I imagine it would be possible. Assuming computers were not allowed Harry could have a reader/writer read his books and write down his answers. I had a couple when I was in college and one in high school myself and I don't see why the same principle wouldn't work for Harry too.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-19 15:30:40

hi.
but tward, you remember, that in hogwarts muggles things like computers, televisions, telephones are not working.
in the sarah game they are blasting, blowing up.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-19 16:31:47 (edited by stewie 2014-07-19 16:32:22)

If harry was blind, why couldn't he just use some form of spell or potion to cure his eyesight? Mad eye Moody lost an eye, surely some kind of equivalent is relatively possible. I'm still not sure why he didn't cure his own faulty vision in the books though.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-07-19 16:52:05

hi,
if one considers that for a moment, that harry potter was completely blind. how would he run away from dimentors and the likes.
if it comes to use the wand on other person, it won't be actually easy as it is not necessary that a person stays wherever he stays, so it will be a bit problematic to rely upon the voice alone. suppose he heard a person speaking. how would he target that person if they silently move away from the direction harry's wand is pointed in.
plus, it should not be as easy for harry to run away, move to a new place without help etc. specially in the last book.

sure, suppose if he had some kind of psychic abilities that allows him to identify what's going around even if he can't use his sight, e.g. clairvoyance, etc. who knows how different or interesting it would turn out.

these are just my opinions, not being pecimistic in this above imaginary sinario regarding harry's inability to see.
regards
sid

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-19 17:57:51

The entirety of the Harry Potter series is so full of flaws I cannot begin to consider how it would even work out with him being blind, because it would require taking all of those flaws into account.

As stewie pointed out, what was the point to having him wear glasses throughout the entire series?  If broken bones can be mended, and missing body parts can be reattached, surely sightless eyes can be fixed, so him being blind is not even an option or plausible thought that would go on for longer than it would require finding another wizard, perhaps a healer, to fix it.  Assuming for some bizarre reason he didn't have it fixed, however, nothing is to stop him from magnifying all of his other senses a hundred times over.  if a dragon that is practically blind can fly through the air and get Harry, Ron and Hermione miles from Gringotts bank safely, I see no reason why Harry couldn't develop some tactic or sixth sense for flying blindly.

I actually believe it might be easier to fight off dementors as a blind person, since you would have one less thing to distract you, no sight to see their horrible appearance, and being born blind would also mean no real equivalent of images to fill one's mind.  Since Dementors always make a sound you can focus on, and they only move toward their target unless repeled by it as they themselves fear nothing, counting on them coming toward you is a given.

Dueling wizards and other magical creatures would certainly be harder, but not impossible.  The one thing not possible to protect against as a wizard is the unforgivable curses, yet i'm fairly certain there is a way around it, and while I think I have the answer I'll leave you all in suspense and hopefully someone else will figure it out.  Beyond the unforgivable curses, there isn't much else that can penetrate a wizard's well cast shields and defensive spells, and if a person can hide from you just because you're blind, why can't you yourself hide from their sight, given that invisibility is an option?  A person looking for an invisible person would certainly make much more noise than a person trying to hide from a seen target, and being invisible doesn't stop you from being able to cast curses or disarming a wizard, or using apparition to instantly stand behind your target and truly performing a stealth attack.

Strategy is key here, which is something that doesn't come to the foreground in the books, since their main focus is the power of love rather than the magical world Harry is placed in, but a good strategist will come up with any number of possibilities that outdo the enemy they are confronted with.  It is necessary to analyze strengths, weaknesses, possible senarios, and anything else that will assist in a battle.  As a blind wizard, Harry would certainly need to apply himself more so than any other wizard, but nothing convinces me that were such a thing feasible to begin with in the wizarding world, that he would be any worse off than other wizards.  The same is true of us in the world we live in; we apply ourselves harder than our sighted counterparts at times, but we're no less able to do anything they can, save things that truly require sight, such as driving.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-07-19 18:32:48

Hi,
There was actually a fanfic about this, I forgot the nameof it though. In it, dumbledore showed Harry some spells that made objects in his room make sounds, until he was fully orientated. He could make the spell show where a certain object in the room was and go from there.
There are other things but I don't want to spoil anything, but remember it's just a fanfic so it might be a bit weird in some palces.

2014-07-20 05:54:23

Hi,
Look up harry potter and the guild of the knight. It's pretty interesting.

This is not a signature.

2014-07-20 05:58:19

sounds like a fanfic chalenge to me. smile totally agree Nocturnus.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-07-20 06:31:51

some one beat me to it, Harry Potter and the Guild of the Night is one of many ways that explain how he would coap being blind.

I'm sure there are others out there.

That story is part of a series that can still be enjoyed if you ignore the 3rd book in that series.

I say that cause book 3 only had the one chapter before it was abandoned.

2014-07-20 19:03:56

Hi,
I think the one I found, and I forgot who directed me to it, was called go with the tide or something like that.

2014-07-20 19:38:40

Interesting topic, but he wouldn't need to stay blind, think of mad-eye moody. If he lost an eye, possibly to dark magic, they were still able to fit him with a new eye. 2 electric blue eyeballs that can see through walls and out of the back of the head, that would be my solution to blindness in the wizarding world

Stevie-3

2014-07-20 20:19:07

Harry definitely needs some aura reading or other telepathic ability if he were to progress past his fifth year, because defending against nonverbal spells sounds like a pain if you can't see the jet of the spell either.

2014-07-21 05:25:43

It does seem as though exploring disabilities in general could have been something that would have fit nicely into the series.
For example, if Muggle-borns were looked down upon by bigoted purebloods, what would stop those same bigots from looking down on a witch or wizard who had been born with a disability? Even if the disability could be cured, it seems as though the magic that would accomplish this would be powerful enough that it would have some kind of profound effect on the person later in life, whether that would be physical, like harry's scar or the loss of George's ear, or mental, like Lockhart's complete loss of memory. In the real world, much less the magical world, getting rid of a disability wouldn't be something that would be undertaken lightly.
A spell that would alter something like a cognitive disability would be interesting to think about as well, because not only could it prevent things like people not being able to take care of themselves or function in society, it could also be used to tweak someone's IQ. What a different series it would have been if everyone could just wave their wand and heighten their mental acuity and intelligence at will. There certainly wouldn't have been any need for cheating during exams, and the Death Eaters who were not really that smart could easily find ways to get into Voldemort's inner circle.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2014-07-21 07:18:57

Hi,
Heh, the problem with the series is there are so much plot holes and so much non-explonations it's surprising how it selled so much. Yes, I do agree it is a good book, heck I loved it when I read it, but when I go back over it now there is so much stuff unexplained.

This is not a signature.

2014-07-21 16:37:59

I would be tempted to pull a mad-eye to solve this problem. After all, who wouldn't want to see out of the back of their head? LOL. As for those holes dhruv, those are pretty easy to come up with. LOL. We see alot of people in these books using magic, but they don't seemed to be all that limited. For example if you know how  to do it, you usually could do it. LOL After all, you would think that the club that the troll in the first book was holding would be a bit heavy for kids to take from a troll. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-21 18:30:45

Hi.

I disagree personally on the plot holes, other than the age of Marcus flint (which Roling admitted herself was a genuine mistake), I didn't find that many holes in the books. For example, compared to magic in other fantasy series the magic of the Potter books is pretty limited in what it can do both by the relative skill of the witch or wizard, and by the limits of magic itself. As I've said before I see magic in the Hp books as a performance art. You learn the theory, you learn the limits, then you put it into practice. You can do this well or badly but are still limited in the scope of your performance, the same way a floutist couldn't get more than three octives out of their flute however good they were.

For instance, while I find Turtlepower's suggestion of magic to fix congitive abilities an interesting one, given how magic and the mind is treated I doubt very much that would be possible, after all what would be the point in teaching kids at hogwarts if you could just go "bing!" and turn them all into geniuses. It's actually implied that mucking about with someone's mind is a pretty serious thing and often something only done by dark wizards, eg, the Imperius curse, or the way that Voldemort's influenced (plus teenaged hormones and generally bad circumstances), affected harry's personality in the fifth book. Even the penseive is primarily an aide to memory, rather than actually messing about with someone's personality or cognitive abilities.

We do know (see Bill Weaslies scarrs), that there are wounds too serious to be cured by magic. moodies magical eye is essentially a prosthetic like an artificial limb, just like the hand Veldemort gives to Wormtale. We do know that magic allows wizards to create very functional prosthetics, perhaps with enough functionality to replace the real organ, the same way a person now born without lenses to their eyes but otherwise functional eyeballs can have an artificial lense inserted and have perfect vision assuming the operation is a success.

So, I do suspect artificial eyeballs would be the way blind wizards go in the potter universe.

As to whether Harry could've done what he did totally blind, well yes and no. Like anything else it would probably be possible but with significantly more work and occasionally some adaptations, for example a snitch that made a sound (it does in the films, but it's never mentioned as doing in the books). Similarly, when dueling Harry would need some way to A, target other wizards with spells when not speaking, B, Find out what other wizards were doing when launching spells none verbally, and C, have a very good way of learning the environment around him so that he could move very quickly and efficiently, ---- after all if he'd tripped up on the steps at the department of mysteries he'd have been in dam trouble.

I can't say I'm a fanfic fan, but one of the best blind characters' I've seen in any recent medium is Toth from the Avatar the last airbender series (there was a horrible Hollywood travesty of a film but lets forget about that).

The series takes place in a world where people learn to bend and control the four elements, fire, earth, air and water. Toth is an earth bender and she uses her conection with the ground to not only find objects and orientate herself, but also fight. Rather than chucking rocks at people like most earth benders in the series, she uses shockwaves to knock other people off their feet or grow pillers underneith them, and later on she even dones what no other earth bender in the series can and starts to bend metal by being connected enough to sense the fragments of earth within it.

An interesting fact about Toth however, is there are some situations she is amazingly vulnerable to. In fights she constantly protects herself from flying missiles with large walls of rock, and in any situation where she is not on the ground, such as on an ice bridge she has a lot of trouble.

I also like her as a person. You meet her originally at a fighting tournament where she is kicking the rear of many many large muscular earth benders in a very funny pro wrestling parody, (there is even an earth bender called the boulder who refers to himself in the third person). Then when you meet the champion it is a tiny twelve year old girl with bair feet and a white dress, ---- who is brick however is very quickly knocked out by Ang the air bender whe he flies across the ground and hits her.

Ang is however looking for an earth bending teacher (he being the Avatar has to learn all four elements), so he goes to see her at home, to find that her parents have no idea she's not only an earth bender but dam good at it, and believe she's tiny and helpless. This situation finishes with Toth running away from home to train Ang, ---- then later in the series actually having to confess the truth to her parents.

As a person Toth is great too, sinse she's extremely cocky, self reliant and overbaring, and indeed has something of an enmity with one of the other female characters, Katara, again something she makes up during the series. There are some very gentle occasional reminders that Toth does perceive the world differently and there are things she can't do (like sticking up posters), and yet points when Toth is pretty much indispensible, ---- for example when breaking out of metal prison cells, (she even later learns to tell when people are lying by their heartbeat).

I actually wish there were more blind characters like Toth in tv or literature sinse it's really bnice to see a blind person be a normal person with a lot of faults, with a lot of faults and personality. I also like the fact that Toth's ability with vibrations is not some sort of mystical "oh their blind but amazing!" sense, but something that has both an up side and a down side, and has vulnerabilities as well as strengths to it.

Indeed it's nice to see someone who is blind who is neither super human nor sub human just human! it's happened with characters in wheel chairs and artificial limbs, ---- why the hell people don't manage it with blind characters I don't know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-21 19:47:57

The scene at the graveyard, where Voldemort first duels Harry, would have gone a little differently.  (forgive any misquotes since I haven't seen the movie in a long long time)
"Pick up your wand!  I assume you know how to duel.  First we bow", says he who should not be named.
Harry replies, "Okay, but make a special sound whenever I'm aimed directly at you."

big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-07-22 01:05:09

Well we've seen the blind sowrdsman, maybe it's time for someone to make a game about a blind wizard?

Actually, I always got the idea that Sarah in the game from pcs was supposed to be blind and the various navaides in the game along with the voice were helpful spells she was using to orientate herself around the castle.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-22 02:03:23

Hello Everyone.
Wow! Interesting topic! I have thought about this and let's say that harry is blind and there is no way to cure it with magic or by other means. Instead of having to walk around and learn how to navigate complex areas harry could just appearate where ever he want's and learn that specific area. This wouldn't change to much in the series I don't think but battles are a whole different story. Let's say that harry is dueling with a death eater and another death eater sneaks up behind him and kills him with a spell. It would be pretty hard to hear somebody sneak up behind you especially if they were trying to be stealthy.
This is interesting especially if you consider other series characters blind. For example I'm reading the memory, Sorrow, and thorn trilogy by tad williams. I won't give away any spoilers but consider that the main protagonist simon is blind. There is a evil priest in the book named pryrates who is one of simon's enemies. In the chapter I'm reading now pryrates is looking for simon. If he found him he could use some kind of killing curse to kill simon without making a sound. But then again if simon was hidden he could just jump out and attack pryrates hopefully before pryrates can react.
Also I'm reading a mystery novel called taking the fifth by J. A. Jance. Now myself I think that if you were blind you could perform an investigation but let's say you find the killer and he pulls a gun and shoot's at you. You would only have seconds to react before you are shot and killed. The gunshot would give away the persons position so that would be bad for them.
Basically what I'm saying is that there are good and bad sides to creating a blind character. I would love to read more books with at least one blind character in them. And like dark said I would like them to be human not super-human or sub-human. I have been wanting to write a novel with a blind person as the main character for years. Maybe I should get started writing something. I have always wanted to write a fantasy story so maybe I'll get to work on that.
@dark, you mentioned the last air bender. Are you talking about the old tv show? I didn't actually watch it at the time but maybe I'll give it another try.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2014-07-22 10:49:56

@Guitaran, hope you enjoy Memory sorrow and thorn it's one of my favourite seriesand one I've read twice, I'm actually reading Tad williams other fantasy series, Shadowmarch at the moment. The first book was unusually slow but the series really! kicks off after that.

Actually bringing up  memory sorrow and thorn is later in the series there are some relevant comments about blindness, but I'll not say anything else about that as the bits I'm thinking of occur in the third and fourth books of the series so would  probably be major spoilers according to where you are currently.

I'll also note that  otherland interestingly enough, Tad williams series about virtual reality does feature a character  who is blind, and her own version of access technology which has some quite interesting consequences when in a virtual reality environment which is so perfect it's indistinguishable from reality.

I'd actually be hard put to decide whether you would count Martine in Otherland as one of those super human characters or not, sinse on the one hand she does have some very strange abilities. On the other, she has her own history and personality, and very much as many faults and strengths as anyone else, (she  even has a romantic attraction to someone else)., like Toth in Avatar, though in a very different way her ways of accessing the environment give her as much trouble as they do unusual abilities, for example when  the main cast first enter the Otherland network, a virtual reality simulation which is as perfect as reality,  Martine is at first over whelmed by the amount of sense data as compared to what she'd normally gets in standard virtual reality networks such as those which (in the series), replace the internet.

On propper blind characters, now I think about it Justin Cronin in the passage had both a totally blind character, and a character with severe visual deterioration (he actually had glaucoma as I do, though of course the drugs that preserve my vision weren't available in a post zomobocalypse world), he was pretty much just a guy.

The totally blind man who was their main radio operator and was very good with signals was something of an egotystical arse and a letcher, ---- but in a way I approve of that, sinse hay, blind people can be unpleasant too just like anyone else.

And of course we can't forget when talking about blind characters Jordi la forge from startrek tng, even though he probably got least development out of all the regular cast.

Then again, these are still exceptions rather than the rule. The only blind person to appear in the doctor who bf audios was of course an old man taking care of an audio archive, who of course is old and doddery and just knows about sound.

This is compared to at least five wheel chair bound  characters I can think of, which range from investigative jernalists, to professors, to Davros creator of the Daleks!

I remember my specialist school proudly  pushing a book to us that some local author had written a few years before I arrived there. It was  about the  wonderful mystical blind girl and her friend the unicorn! supposedly this author had been into the school and talked to the nice little blind kids (which is probably why the blind girl in her book is so dam useless and the biggest and most pathetic damsel you could imagine). This isn't to say  all blind characters or indeed all female characters need to be brick,  the girl's basic function in the plot was getting kidnapped, winjing about wanting to go home and  being completely useless about basic things like getting around, indeed even her supposedly mystical powers basically  came down to being friends with a large  talking horse with extra pointy bits.

The book was called Spellhorn  and thinking about it now makes me cringe!

I can think of some very interesting places said unicorn could stick his oh so magical spellhorn big_smile.

Regarding Avatar the last air bender, I'd highly recommend it. Sadly it was hit a little by the 2009 writers strike, so the ending wasn't as planned, but the majority is awsome! Great characters and a unique world.   There is a second series set 100 years or so later called Avatar the legend of Kora, which I've not seen yet, though I do have it on dvd and  will probably watch it when I get to a break in ds9.

Another  fact about the series is of course the very cool magical elemental powered martial arts. I don't know if an audio description is available, but there are some very good episode transcripts which  describe all the  martial arts in very epic  detail on http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/index.php which I'd recommend checking just to get the full experience (I found those useful myself).

2014-07-22 13:15:22

I'm currently reading the go with the tide series.

I'll probably post more when I finish reading both books.

So far some of the spells this fanfic author came up with sound pretty cool, like for instance, a spell that makes the wand guide the person as if it were a guide dog.

There's also another spell used to dictate, and this is only me reading up to chapter 7 or 8.

If anyone's interested in reading the story, here is the link.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1235011/1/Go_With_the_Tide

2014-07-22 17:14:09

Hi,
Wait, there's a sequel to go with the tide? I didn't know that! I know what I'll be doing for a while assuming it's complete of course. If not I'll be left hanging lol!

2014-07-22 18:07:02

I can say that as a blind wizard, I would be in love with the summoning charm lol

Stevie-3

2014-07-22 18:13:47

Yep Steevvy! just today i was looking for my glasses and my Iphone both of which I'd put down and yelling "accio glasses!" would make life a lot easier.

Only trouble though, how would the spell know I meant eye glasses and not pull all the drinking glasses out of my cupboard?

I always wondered this in the potter books, though sinse Harry has to practice hard and talks about objects losing deffinition half way through I also assume it's necessary to maintain a mental impression of the thing your trying to summon.

Btw, That reminds me turtlepower, I doubt lack of visual information would protect a blind wizard from  dementors, sinse "images" in Harry's case were his worst memories, and also came with sound and sensation. If a blind wizard got too close to a dementor they'd probably experience the same, their worst memories in whatever way those memories occurred, which depending upon the severity of the memory might cause more or less trouble just like with anyone else.

Now a blind wizard and a boggart on the other hand, ---- that would be  interesting. Standard fears such as say a buzzing wasp or  the noise of a chain saw would be just the  same, as with anything else, but if the fear  was a more internal and personal sensory impression of  something which the blind   witch or wizard felt more  then it would probably   manifest only to them which could be very  weerd and rather harder to counter.