2014-07-15 10:29:47

Hello,
I noticed that a few sounds, like those in the game "screaming strike", is in .dat format. How do i listen to them or even extract them? When i try to press enter on those sounds, a windows dialogue box will pop up, saying windows can't open this file. I even tried using GoldWave to open them, no luck. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Best regards,
Kenzon

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-07-15 11:56:02

I'm also wondered about these things.
could anyone help?

2014-07-15 12:47:35

Hi.
There is a reason for the files are packed into .dat files. Do you know why? Because the developer don't want those sounds to be extracted, opened, played and stolen and used in other projects.
So that's the reason for you can't open the files, mainly because they are protected.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-07-15 13:39:53

OK, but they should at least have the "learn game sounds" option in their game. Sometimes because i don't know what certain sounds mean, i lost the game.
So, in short, there's no way to open those sounds? Thanks.

Best regards,
Kenzon

2014-07-15 13:47:46

No, there's definetly no way.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-07-15 14:58:43

Ah thank you for your clarify.

2014-07-15 19:42:34 (edited by cw 2014-07-15 19:45:40)

I will try to make this as simple as I can. DAT files are usually used to store data for game play and the like. This might include sounds, but it may also include text. So, this means that windows doesn't know what to do with it. As stated earlyer in this topic, this is most likely a good reason why the sounds were put into a dat file. This reason being that they are not ment to be messed with. You might be able to get the sounds out of the dat file, but you will need to know a few things. For one thing, is the dat file incrapted. In this case, the answer is most likely yes. Another thing you will need to know, where in the file is the sound in question stored? I have know idea how you would figure that one out, unless you had access to the source code of the game in question. HTH.
Edit
I clearly can't type today. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-16 03:15:38

Hmm

2014-07-17 16:28:35

Actually, there is a way to open those dat files, and or even compress them. In one case, I was able to change the extension to a zip file and I was able to open it and extract the files.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-07-17 16:38:55

Was it from a game written with BGT? Just wondering.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-17 16:41:40 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-07-17 16:43:42)

Hello Green,
How'd you do that? I changed the extention from .dat to .zip and tried to extract it using winrar, and it said "no archives found". Just curious.
As for whether it is created with BGT, i'm not sure.

2014-07-17 16:57:51

Yeah, I think some are hidden archive files that only certain programmes can read. Like the game Phiip made multi-player Tic-tac-Toe which uses DECtalk has a sounds.dat format, but I don't know what he used to programme it. The thing is that when I changed it to a dot zip it worked and I could hear all of the files inside.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-07-18 03:18:15

Wow. sound's cool.

2014-07-18 16:54:14

Nope, it didn't work for me though. World of war also has a sounds.dat file. I copied it somewhere, changed .dat to .zip and tried extracting it with winrar but no luck. What program did you use, green?

2014-07-18 17:29:02

@Kenzon, it's possible that the programme data is arrayed in such a way that no zip utility would be able to recognise it, even if you changed it to multiple zip formats. Also, I have seen individual sound files that have no file extensions, or a few that have encoded wave digital steganography that can only be read by the game and if you knew what perametres they used, oucould use Gold Wave to decode the file.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-07-19 06:56:09

Yeah i know, and i even encountered sound files that are disguysed as other files that is unknown to windows but still can be opened (Such files can be found if you have MSN messenger on windows, they're those .dtd or something files). There are also others that didn't have file extentions but still can be opened. But .dat files can't, i believe.

2014-07-19 09:00:17

the renaming method doesn't work.

2014-07-19 14:18:20

Guys. I know BGT, and I know how to pack .dat files in it. You can never, never, and I say never, extract them from a BGT game.
Concerning PB games Tic tac toe, Philip did a .zip file and changed it to a .dat, and therefore it works, but this is a single case of a game programmed in 2005 before BGT was out.

2014-07-19 16:03:54

OK, thanks Roro, that explains why the sounds from that game are extractable and sounds from other games which are in .dat format can't be extracted.

2014-07-19 17:44:27

Yeah, you're welcome.

2014-07-19 18:25:10

If you really really wanted to extract them, which I would advise against doing, you would have to be a polymath programmer to do it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-07-19 20:24:08

Let's clear some stuff up, shall we?

In the case of dat files, or really all files, forget all about file extensions.  They're really just conveniences to the user.  As has already been stated here, dat files in particular can be just about anything.  In the case of games, they're typically sounds, usually encrypted.  But dat files can be other things, too.  In the case of Judgment Day, for example, a dat extension is used to denote a file that, we believe, contains trophy information.  In some installers, dat files are used for temporary files.  Sometimes they're used for licensing information.  The point is that dat is very ambiguous and can be just about whatever the hell a programmer wants.

As has already been seen, sometimes you can rename the dat to zip, or some other archive format, and extract it.  Most of the time this is impossible, and that's because of encryption.  Most developers these days, even in the mainstream world, encrypt just about everything, lock it all down, to prevent modding, stealing of sounds/content, etc.

In short, you can't just open them up and expect anything intelligible – that's the whole point of encryption.  A hex editor or memory tool might get you the decryption key from the executable, but this is highly unlikely.

2014-07-21 14:13:32

Hello again,
Let's say we know .dat files in a game are individual sounds, can't we change it into .wav, .mp3 or whatever sound format to play it (assuming it isn't encripted of course)? Likewise, if we know that itis a text file, can we change it into .txt if it's not encripted?

2014-07-21 15:44:48

You can. But make sure it's not encrypted. A developper generally doesn't do .dat files if they're not encrypted. And if he encrypted them in a .dat format, that means a protection for his sounds, because he may have paid for them.
Consider the hard work Philip put in creating Perilous Hearts concept demo or in q9: Can you imagin that those sounds are around? Of course no, because he bought the sound kit library for 4000 dollars, and noone in this Earth will pass around those sounds if he bought them by himself. For example, you've bought some high quality sound effects: What don't you do to protect them?
I know you'll say that you want to extract sounds here for personnal enjoyment: I like doing that too, but we can't. The game that has its sounds extracted more recently is AAC.
And another reason of encrypting sounds is to not spoil the game.

2014-07-21 16:29:24 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-07-21 16:32:05)

AAC? I know the musics aren't encripted and i even have the music pack for it, but the sounds? Did I miss anything? If the sound effects (not the music) are extracted, can anyone possibly share it with me? Thanks!
EDIT: that'll certainly make sense, but some games, like screaming strike and world of war didn't have "learn game sounds" option so we don't really know which sounds mean what, unles we play it for a while. Any way to know what those sounds mean without the learn game sounds option and without extracting them?