2014-07-13 06:14:04

Hello, I have a question. As you might have seen, my iOs 7.1.2 installation failed completely. I got an old iPhone from a friend of mine with iOs 7.0.3 installed on it. Is there a way to update it just to 7.1.1 and not to 7.1.2?
That would be cool.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2014-07-14 08:59:50

Hi.
No, the software updater updates the device to the latest IOS version available. You can install other versions using iTunes or XCode on the Mac, but that isn't easy.
If you want a phone which just works, then update to the latest version using the Software Update.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-07-16 10:03:21

Connect using a cable and try again to update using iTunes. If that doesn't work, there's a guaranteed way to update, which involves erasing everything on your phone. Turn phone off, and connect to computer with iTunes while holding down the home button. Keep home held until iTunes says you're in recovery mode, and then restore.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-17 00:35:10

One weerd issue I'm having in Ios 7.12 is for some reason the power button to screen lock isn't working the way it did. rather than me pressing once to lock and unlock, or press and holding to power off, now it seems I need to press and hold then release to lock,  and press the home button to unlock, and press and hold the button for quite a while to power off.

This I don't like sinse I don't want to accidently catch the home button when my Iphone is in my bag and unlock it by mistake, and I miss just being able to flick the screen off with a single tap when say I have put on an audiobook and just want to listen to it.

Of course I am only guessing this is Ios 7.12,  sinse it could equally be that my power button is just wearing out, though if so this has happened extremely quickly and it is a bit odd that it was fine until I installed Ios 7.12.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-21 21:16:59

I hate to say this Dark but it may be your power button. Are you using a case that has a cover over the power button like the Otterbox ones do? When I had an Otterbox Defender I found I'd damaged the power button because the rubber lump over the place of the power button removed the tactile feedback of pressing the button, making me unintentionally press quite hard to make my press get through the stiff rubber. Of course it was only a 3GS, since I updated to a 5S I've used a simpler case I got from O2 which doesn't cover the buttons at all while the flap is open for this very reason.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-22 09:51:19

Hmm, I found too much reasons not updating my iPhone 4s to the latest iOS-version. Since I already screwed up my 3gs in a pool, I rather not consider upgrading. I also crashed my 3gs while installing the wrong jailbreak tweak. I had to eraise my iPhone completely using the recovery mode and had to recover my data using the iTunes backup. Since all that happened, I do not want to risk screwing up any device of mine. smile
I have an iPhone case with some small pockets in them, so I can place my bumpers in there, so YAY! big_smile

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-07-22 10:24:07

I am using the surviver which has a case around the button but not on the button itself.

I have however since heard this is a problem with Ios 7.12, it causes button issues, which also explains why it only occured when I installed the os, and why for example I can't now use the button when the phone is still locked but the screen is on to lock the screen completely.

Hopefully it'll be fixed relatively soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-22 11:40:10

When I bought my iPhone from EBay, the owner before me used an iPhone case with that kind of rubber positioned at the power button. The only problem is that I'm not really able to reach the mute/unmute switch and I couldn't find a place to put my bumpers in if I have to put them out of my phone. I found an iPhone case with a side-flap with small pockets in them. However, I wouldn't recommend putting things like money and other stuff in there, cuz they might fall out. smile

Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-07-22 11:40:34

paddy wrote:

Hmm, I found too much reasons not updating my iPhone 4s to the latest iOS-version. Since I already screwed up my 3gs in a pool, I rather not consider upgrading. I also crashed my 3gs while installing the wrong jailbreak tweak. I had to eraise my iPhone completely using the recovery mode and had to recover my data using the iTunes backup. Since all that happened, I do not want to risk screwing up any device of mine. smile

that's reasons enough not to jailbreak your devices, right? smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-07-22 12:41:58

Hello everyone. I contakted the apple support some days ago. I gave the iPhone to them yesturday.
I have to see if they can repair it, or send me a new device.
I stoped jailbreaking a while ago, cause it is getting more risky. If you see, how easy it was in iOs 4 and what can happen if you try jailbreaking with iOs 7.
When I get my phone back, i'll just use it normaly.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2014-07-22 12:44:40

I must admit, I haven't yet figured out what cases are actually good for. If somebody could explain it to me, that would be useful. smile

And yeah, don't jailbreak. Let's face it, the teensy-weensy pleasure you get from circumventing Apple's restrictions is more than nullified by the crap you're going to take just trying to make it work properly. It's like turning iOS into Android. And who would want that? smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-22 13:02:39

well, you'll get many cool things if you choose to jailbreak, but personally, it's not something I find important:
You can costumize your phone like Android. But if you wanna do this, why just not switch to Android then?
You can get more voices, change all the sounds, get apps for free, access your device via SSH wich I'm not geeky enough to use or even know what to do with, easier access to your device like a external USB drive, install more keyboards and maybe a Braille keyboard which we'll get in IOS8 anyway and some more stuff which I don't remember.
Some people jailbreak devices to be able to use the phones in their countries. I'm not sure on why, but I hope that's fixed now.
I don't understand why people don't switch to Android instead of jailbreaking their devices, but that's just me.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-07-22 14:04:34 (edited by livrobo 2014-07-22 14:17:45)

Hello.

I jailbreak instead of going to android simply because I prefer the iOS platform. Others may have different reasons, but that's personally why I do. I have nothing against android but I prefer iOS for my daily use, and since I want to do more with it, I jailbreak.
Also, jailbreaking is not just for customization. There are many reasons one may jailbreak. Some developers even choose to develope for cydia rather than Apple's appstore due to their extreme limitations.
I also do not understand why people have this thought that when you jailbreak, you're launching your iOS device into a pit of doom and instability. Sure, if you start installing pirated tweaks, screwing with the filesystem without knowing what you're doing, experimenting with the terminal, then yes, you're going to break things. I've been jailbreaking since iOS 3.1.3 and I can only recall one huge issue I had which was do to me running  a program called iLEXRAt. That was a program that was supposed to refresh your phone. Kind of like a restore, just without the upgrade part. Oh, how badly that failed. It cleaned up my phone, but it also cleaned up all of the accessibility files, meaning no more VoiceOver.
Lol

One feature included when you jailbreak is called MobileSubstraightSafemode which does as it sounds. If you install a jailbreak tweak and it sends your device into an unstable spiral, simply turn the phone off, and hold the volume up button as you power it back on. All tweaks will be disabled then, and you can go back into Cydia or Icy and uninstall the offending tweak. Then, just reboot and jailbreak tweaks will work again. This also works if you're stuck in a boot loop most of the time.
What I'm saying is that most of the problems that people who jailbreak experience is nothing more than user error.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2014-07-22 14:39:33

Hi,

livrobo wrote:

I jailbreak instead of going to android simply because I prefer the iOS platform. Others may have different reasons, but that's personally why I do. I have nothing against android but I prefer iOS for my daily use, and since I want to do more with it, I jailbreak.

exactly.

I don't jalebreak because I want to turn my phone into a android,although the more options that are available, the better imo. big_smile
The primary reason I jalebreak my devices is doing so and installing a tweek gives me the ability to transfer and receive files and such through bluetooth without going through any hassels,which in my humble opinion was a major screw up by apple. I mean,seriously? I've used many devices be it the old nokias,androids(although not much) etc which have this capability without running into trouble because of Bluetooth file transfer. which apple doesn't allow sighting security reasons.
For me, that feature is quite important slash essencial and using a phone which does not support it gets to be a headache after a while.
So yeah, jalebreak ftw! tongue
Oh and, while I haven't been jalebreaking as long as livrobo, I've done a fare bit since I got my iphone,and as long as you use your head,you won't run into any trouble because of jalebreaking your device. I have been doing it,using my head that is tongue and never so far gotten into any issues because of it.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2014-07-22 15:41:13

I have no issues with people who jailbreak and know what they're doing, as always you jailbreak at your own risk and if you're at all uncertain either don't do it or find someone who does know what they're doing. Oh and make sure they really do know what they're doing and not just think they know what they're doing, my mum's boyfriend always thinks he knows what he's doing but he managed to get a virus on his Galaxy which he claimed was from a screen saver, hah.

Sebby, cases are there to physically protect your phone. Firstly they help protect it from scratches and scrapes so the finish doesn't get damaged, they may also protect the screen if they have a flap on the front like mine does. Secondly they provide extra impact protection, in the event the device is accidentally dropped it can be the difference between almost giving the owner a heart attack with panic and having the phone crack in some manner. Sure you might drop your phone 100 times with no trouble but the 101st time it breaks, though with a phone that costs this much what's £20 or so for a case and a screen protector?

Depending on the case they can also offer alternative colours and may offer an easier grip if your hand is a little too big for the slin phone.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-22 16:03:11

@Cx2, nice you could drop in to the forum, hope life is fun.

@Paddy, where do you need bumpons on an Iphone? unless the model you have is extremely different in design to the Iphone 5, all the buttons are very obvious to me and marks would be superfluous, ---- though I could see an  advantage in sticking a bumpon on the side of the screen to mark the center (though my case does that anyway).

I can't speak on jailbreaking sinse it's something I've not done and something I'd probably only do if there was a feature I especially wanted, ---- I did believe at one point I'd have to jailbreak to use my folder structure of all my audio and music properly through the dreaded Itunes, but I've found a way around that that is convenient enough to be workable. I can't speak on the android thing, sinse to be honest Android just doesn't have the games and aps, which were what I was primarily interested in. That might change in the future, but as you know simply playing with tech for it's own sake isn't really something I care about.

As to cases though it was the first thing I bought for my Iphone. I am a clumsy person, and I also knew I'd be carrying my phone around on trains, up and down the country etc, so getting a protective case was absolutely imperative.

I got the surviver sinse it's extremely tough, has a lot of protection on the phone around the sides to absorb impact, and a perspex cover across the screen (you can still use the screen through it but the surface won't be scratched or damaged), even on the buttons, indeed it took the chap in the shop quite a while to even get it onto my phone.

Apparently the surviver was tested by throwing a phone out of a plane, and while I am not sure if that is true, it certainly is treu that I don't worry now if my Iphone falls off a table for example, sinse it'll always be the padding that hits the ground first. I have a sneaking suspicion I could chuck my phone at a brick wall and it'd be okay, though needless to say I've not tried this.

As bonuses the surviver also bulks the phone up and gives you a good grip (great for playing games where you tilter your phone around), makes it easy to tell the middle of the phone from the position of the padding (handy for hitting center screen without vo on), have a very nice clip that a fasten onto my shoulder when using blind square, and also makes my phone look very retro and 90's! big_smile.

Of course it's not the most glamerous case everand it does have the disadvantage that some designs of headphone jack won't fit through the holes in the padding, though both the sanheisa earbuds I carry about for portability and my monster sanheisa momentum headphones are okay.

2014-07-22 16:18:23 (edited by cx2 2014-07-22 16:19:51)

Dark, life's never dull when you have a guide dog with personality. He's 30KG of sleek golden Labrador retriever and he still thinks he's a tiny little puppy trying to curl up in the most ridiculous positions.

I'm not sure if the reference was to bump ons or bumpers, with bumpers being pretty pointless if you have it in a case. It was called Antenna Gate, Apple screwed up the design of the iPhone 4 so that the Bluetooth and cellular antennae weren't properly insulated. Touching the case in just the wrong places resulted in a short circuit between the two, given the steel case on that model, it didn't harm the device but it did result in neither antenna functioning and killing your signal dead. This lead to the internet meme, and a general running joke among geeks, "you're holding it wrong" being a reference to the fact that Apple simply didn't predict users would hold their iPhones in that manner.

Bumpers were something Apple offered after the fact as a fix, essentially being pieces of rubbery plastic that were stuck to the iPhone in the relevant places to prevent the short circuit.

cx2
-----

2014-07-22 17:15:49

Ah, guide dogs are fun! I have Reever who is the laziest black lab/retreiver imaginable! Though i won't pull this topic off track sinse you can either post a new one about dogs, or post in the long dog related thread from earlier this month.

Regarding bumpers, that makes sense and I appologise for the mistake, I have heard the "your holding it wrong" expression and knew it related to a model of Iphone with a short circuit, but wasn't sure of the exact details.

2014-07-23 02:13:54

I suppose it's possible that I don't travel enough with my iPhone (I always take my phone when I go out, which isn't much) but it seemed to me that it was more cost-effective not to drop your phone than to buy a case. Although £20 doesn't sound like much, so I should probably think about it. smile I am quite precise in my hand movements and grip, and for me the phone is no problem to hold, but a fall is never entirely out of the question; still, it happens so rarely than when it does the worst that is required is some TLC with a damp cloth. Even that will probably change for the better when/if Apple starts replacing this aluminium finish (which, BTW, some people actually think looks better when it's scratched) with sapphire glass, which is both shatter-resistant and scratch-resistant.

As to jailbreaking, while I understand the stated reasons, I personally don't think it's worth it even for the supposed feature enhancements. Sure, iOS gives you a lot above Android as a platform even when you hack it to death, but Apple really have differentiated it on a technical level, both in terms of its interaction with the user (no file system, being a notable example) and under the hood (strong sandboxing, data protection, consistent process state).

Example: running processes. On Android or following a jailbreak, you are no longer certain that the following is true while you are at the home screen: the only processes running are those you have given permission to run in the background or as required, those that are part of iOS itself, and nothing else.

To me, this is such a critically important feature that jailbreaking messes up that I wouldn't want to jailbreak on a production phone just for that reason.

Now don't get me wrong. People have their reasons to jailbreak, and they are valid for them, and I'm not disputing that. And, indeed, the Mac and PC are open platforms, which clearly indicates that trusted software exists for ordinary people to use, without any kind of sandboxing. Still, I think that the care and attention Apple put into the architecture of iOS is worth a lot, regardless of what you may think of the lack of choices and flexibility. And of course I would be very glad if Apple added APIs (as, you notice, they are now doing) to hook more and more parts of the OS so more functionality could be added. I would be _extremely_ happy if Apple could remove itself as a dependency from the ecosystem. Nevertheless, I think a lot of what people credit iOS for basically comes down to setting and enforcing rules for behaviour, and the chaotic state of Android is proof of how well it works. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-23 09:04:44

Like Dark I'm extremely clumsy, I tend not to drop my phone in general but a case is a kind of insurance against that. Like insurance you probably won't see the point unless you need it, at which point you'll be immensely relieved you have it.

Ever since Windows XP home users have actually been increasingly protected by the operating system, with restrictions on what parts of memory a program can access and more recently what files a program can access on the hard drive. iOS admittedly takes this to another level entirely which may or may not be to everyone's taste but it certainly has its place in the marketplace. Given I consider my phone to be a critical device I'm perfectly happy with this state of affairs.

cx2
-----

2014-07-23 16:26:05

Well I don't drop my phone everyday, it is just realizing the fact that it is a possibility, and while I've not dropped it off anything particularly lethal in the couple years I've had it, it has once or twice fallen off a desk onto the carpet which is why i am glad of the case.

As I said,  my Iphone goes everywhere with me, on the train, occasionally the bus, I sit on  station platforms and park benches with it, I even  have it strapped to my shoulder sometimes running blind square while I wander around, heck I take it to cafes and  restaurants sometimes if I'm on my own so that  I always have something to read, (it's quite nice sitting in my favourite sandwich shop where |I go several times a week as I take reever for a walk, reading whatever novel I want or playing one of the  choiceofgames titles and slerping coffee, ---- especially sinse up to now while people frequently sit in that cafe  reading the news papers provided I've never been able to do the same).

The one thing that pisses me off about ios is the lack of a propper folder structure for media.

I have a huge amount of media, audio books, music etc, that I've personally sat and  organized to my liking, indeed  even though I have over 700 gb of books and audio dramas, I can always find something very quickly, and can often if I say want to read the hole Dresden files series in order just play one folder with Winamp. For example I have my doctor who  organized by which doctor they're with, then in each doctor's folder there are folders for novelizations, extra novels, bbc dramas (if any, and audio described tv programs. I then have each folder for each audio description or novelization labeled by program number.

Yet if I put stuff on Ios, it always gets instantly classified with all that artist, genre crap, i can't just put it where I want.  Frequently this mixes up the parts of audio books, or albums for specific musicians, and generally makes a right royal mess.

Luckily I've found that ignoring everything on Ios but playlists, and creating playlists with one audio book or drama in each works.

This is however not ideal, sinse if say I want to listen to all of the third  doctor novels in order on my Iphone I have to sit and create a hole bunch of playlists, rather than just copying my entire third doctor novelizations folder and playing the hole thing which I would do if transferring onto my laptop or an mp3 player with propper structure.

I also don't find  Itunes a freindly or efficient program to navigate on pc,  what with it's silly trees, hundreds of extra functions etc, but that's another matter. Either way while I've found a  relatively usable method around Apple's lack of a  propper folder system to do what I want, I dam well wish I didn't have to, it's the one factor about the Iphone that annoys me. I also have a nasty  suspicion that the chief reason things exist like this is  Apple want everyone to just! buy or download music through Itunes, and bugger what  you've already got!

Now I know I could probably  jailbreak and have an  ftp for transfer or the like, but at the moment  that would be more trouble than what I am doing currently, though if Apple ever bugger up Itunes anymore to make this more difficult I would  reconsidder that idea.

As to other jail breaking functions, well I've not yet really found anything else I would like to jail break for, sinse right now I'm happy with the aps and games and such the way they work by default. I do wish there was an easier way to put icons together in folders on the phone interface, sinse I find the drag and push together method on voiceover to be rather hit and miss, but this is an  interface issue rather than a software issue. handling of mmedia is my  only real objection to the Iphone as a device and the way Apple do things (they at least don't bugger compatibility and interface with every single upgrade the way windows do).

Of course this might change in the future, but that is where things are now.

As I said I can't really speak about android sinse there are so few aps and games for it, I didn't really see the point in the system. I also confess I don't like the idea of something where I not only have to be dam careful to get the one exact model for it to be accessible, but also replace half of the default functions with other ones because the basic functions of the phone and it's  operating system don't work with the screen reader.

lastly I really don't like the sound of google's lack of ability to  handle standard html pages in aps other than Chrome.

Of course with all of these things I'm going on generally what I've heard which might be incorrect. I never felt the need to investigate Android sinse frankly there don't seem to be half as many interesting things to do with it in terms of games and handy aps than on Ios, though again if this changes in the future I'll certainly have a more complete look at the system.

2014-07-23 17:14:40 (edited by livrobo 2014-07-23 17:18:38)

Hello.

I agree with a lot of the things mentioned here. I feel that Apple should loosen their lockdown on iOS slightly, and I'm glad to see that happening with iOS 8.

I also agree with Sebby, in that if you do not have a good reason for jailbreaking, it's probably best you stay on stock software.

One of the reasons I like my jailbroken devices is just the fact that I can do what I want. For instance, a few days ago, I created an easy method for managing media playback using my iPhone's Touch ID.
On my right hand, three fingers act as back, play/pause, and next; and on my left hand, they act as volume down, volume up, and open the music app. At the same time, it is set up so that the thumb on my right hand will thumbs up whatever is playing on iTunes radio or Pandora. Similarly, my left thumb will give a dislike rating to the song. All I have to do is put the finger I desire on the scanner and these work from anywhere.

That kind of stuff just cannot be done on apple's closed  OS.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2014-07-23 18:06:28

Interesting Liverobo.

One ironic thing about Apple's iron fisted Itunes is that it actually puts me off buying books or music from them, sinse I don't want stuff locked into Itunes (I know there is some sort of export process but it seemed ridiculously convoluted and when I tried it it didn't work properly at all, plus why should I buy stuff specifically for a folder structure and with a program I dislike? After all odds are I will be playing mp3s on other devices than my Iphone in the future (sorry Apple but it's true).

I'd in fact be more inclined to buy from itunes if I just got files  and folders and could then do with them as I wished, so I dam well hope apple stop being so tight fisted over media files at least, though I don't hold out too much hope.

2014-07-23 18:42:45 (edited by paddy 2014-07-23 18:48:18)

Well, a lot has happened here, I guess. big_smile
About the bumper thing: Since I have a side-flap, the charger connector isn't really protected. I heard from several people that they, when wearing the phone in their pocket for several times, have had a lot of hustle freeing the charger slot from small jeans particles.
They had to open their device so they could reach the slot to remove all that crap in there. That's one of the reasons why I have a bumper sitting in the connector. When I have to recharge, I remove the bumper and place it in one of these pockets in my iPhones' case.
I don't really know why I have a second bumper sitting in the headset jack, but who cares? It does not bother me in any way.

About jailbreaking: I just don't feel like jailbreaking my device again.
Firstly because I don't need any extra features, in fact, I am kind of content with the features my iPhone4s and iOS7 come with.
Secondly, too much has happened which caused restoring my data with iCloud or an iTunes backup, including my failed jailbreak and my screwed up iPhone, thanks to my stupidity. tongue
And I just have enough of sitting there, waiting for my device to be restored how I want it to.
Simba is right, there are too much things to worry about when jailbreaking, at least in my opinion.
You gotta inform yourself how harmful the tweak you're about to install in fact is, whether it does any damage to your iPhones' operating system or not, et cetera et cetera.
I don't, in fact, need to jailbreak, because the only thing I would want is the Fleksy keyboard working outside the actual app, but I can deal with it, opening an extra app to write a message to somebody, then copy it into the clipboard and hell yeah, send it to the preferred contact! big_smile

About sorting apps:
I totally agree, Dark. That's why I actually have left the apps where they were, after installing them. Means, in general, I have eleven pages to scroll through, and all the apps have not been cattegorized by me in any way!
And why? Just because I am not good at sorting all the stuff by drag-and-drop! I am a lazy person, I know, but I would prefer sorting the apps and creating folders using the computer, but someone has to program this kind of tool and make it accessible, and that's the most difficult part, so have fun programming, whoever thinks he or she is up to it! tongue

2014-07-23 18:58:23

Hi.

How do you assign all these controls to the touch ID censor?
Do you use activator or something?
This sounds really awesome actually.
As for jailbreaking, it's great!
I have access to all the files and folders on my device, I can extend the functionality of the iPhone 5s touch ID system with a tweak called Appscan, I can change the voice that my phone uses, etc.
I actually had to restore to stock firmware because my phone was getting really hot and my ram usage was really high.
Still, I think I'll jailbreak again.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.