2014-07-08 17:54:14

Hi guys! I would like to buy a new netbook but the new products run windows 8 or 8.1. Now is this kind of operating system usable by a blind people? I'm using NVDA as my primary screen reader! Does any of you have experiences with this OS? Can you suggest me for a good netbook or a laptop? Thanks a lot! Bye for now! Claudio

Claudio

2014-07-09 00:36:02

hi, I could help you set up windows 8.1 on your mac. It is quite usable with nvda and it works fine. If you have a Skype, then you can add me by searching for blindness86.

2014-07-09 03:02:16

windows 8 and windows 8.1, is accessible enough with NVDA. I had use windows 8.1 in quite a while, the NVDA works great with it.

2014-07-09 07:47:43

most certainly it is. NV access has made it quite accessible sense day one.

2014-07-09 11:51:09

thanks for your suggestions! It'll be a challenge for mee; I know windows 7; but windows 8 or 8.1 are quite different, is it true? Thanks a lot again! Bye bye!

Claudio

2014-07-09 14:57:14

Yeah, But I hate windows 8/8.1. all the think that windows 8/8.1 uses, has been copied from the mac OS. that's weird.

2014-07-09 15:50:52

Hi Socheat! Thanks for your information; I'm not particulary interested in whose copied whom. I have to bye a netbook and don't like the Apple ones but it's my personal opinion! I was just interested in what the differences are between windows 7 and 8 or 8.1 from a blindness prospective! Thanks a lot!

Claudio

2014-07-09 15:53:56

Claudio, Windows 8.x is a completely different experience from Windows 7 and earlier. As has been stated Microsoft tried to imitate the Mac look and feel with its new Metro UI and I don't think succeeded to do a good job of it. That said, I find Windows 8.x is accessible enough with NVDA.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-09 19:03:56

ok, thanks a lot; just asking because i was chosing between a tablet running Android and a netbook running windows but all the netbooks I've seen in the catalogue are running windows 8.x!

Claudio

2014-07-09 23:58:36

yes in respect, they are different the desktop environment is about the same but in regards to the start screen, it is different.

2014-07-10 09:51:46

I hate to use that crappy start screen thing. big_smile

2014-07-10 22:36:21

Well myself when I got this new laptop I really had to hoof it to buy this one.
before I was not ready and bypassed a really good one for cheap.
This one I almost bypassed the last unit with 7 for a old Toshiba sat pro c850.
In the end I am happy I got it.
I can go 8 if I want but I don't need to.
its got 7 which thankfully everything else does.
When we switched the networked systems over we had already a win7 box my brother used and then there was my unit.
So it was probably a good idea to run the same os on all our systems.
In contrast to laptops if you build them yourself or get it built for you or get a upgrade box with no os at all then you can load anything from xp up the guy we got it all from in the shop said the most coman systems were win7 8 or Linux distributions.
My plan is to upgrade everyone to 9 when it comes out because unless you are a big company you won't get metro it will all be a desktop at least that's what I heard.
win7 and vista have about 5-6 years of service on them anyway and that will do for now.
Truth is as long as I am not effected by threats I probably don't have much to worry about.
so far on all systems with 7 I have had there has not yet been a reformat and hardly a hack virus or trogen I've used this system for 2 years without an issue my brother has used his system for at least 4 years and though he had some initial issues they are all sorted now.
My dad just got his box.
So I think 7 is stable.
When I had xp because of the nature of my work I never was able to have the system last more than 6 months.
I was always trying this and that early on.
Often if it crashed I'd have to resort to running the recovery program.
If there is anything good about win7 its the image backup.
If something breaks as long as you have a good image you can restore that image or just reformat and install what you need then restore the image then you continue where you left off though you may need to upgrade bits of the image.
8 is only good if you have several devices with it.
Ie if you have a tablet a phone and a pc then you may want 8 for syncing purposes.
What I really hate is the fact you need to almost use an ms account.
While there are sertainly benefits to this access to the cloud, settings, etc, it all ignores the fact that if you don't have the net, no access.
I have not found any solution to that issue unless you have both a local and an online account which defeats the purpose of having that other account.
and what if your net fails.
I prefur local with restrictions any day.
The only way to get access to your box is reformat and reinstall, its why I think starting a system with an online account is counterproductive.
Now if you are on a network like a business erver it may be a different story.
most are not.
And with what I have now if I need to access my sky drive I can.
if I want to access my mail I can.
if I want to access any of my stuff I can.
But I won't be pestered by it.
And most of the time when doing serious work, every service for online anything is closed and signed out.
Plus I worry about the safety of staying signed in all day every day.
Yet ms is making that harder and harder to do.
Uac in win8 is also something I don't care about.
at least in 7 you can turn it off and its off.
and especially  for old programs its really needed.
But if you don't have old stuff or need to run that many admin tasks or replace system dlls or something like that its probably ok.
I have also noticed at least in win7 that uac slows down performance when you have to wait for it to come up.

2014-07-11 03:44:16

Windows 8 and 8.1 is has many bugs.

2014-07-24 16:26:00

Hi all! Just letting you know that I've purchase a new laptop running windows 8.1 and, in my opinion, it's a great operating system! I've just sed in my opinion because, using NVDA or the built-in Narrator, it is almost accessible in every part, from what I've tested! So, there will bee many bugs and errors, maybe! But in my opinion, it's not a bad OS! And I like Narrator very much! It's vastly improved from windows 7. There are many keyboard comands and the touchscreen is almost accessible with it!

Claudio