2014-07-07 16:40:15

hi.
in the games, you can only jump over pits.
but imagine, if you was at the place of super liam, or technoshock player, or battle zone player, or scrolling battles character, or other main character from the game with pits, how would you cross these pits?
for example i:
if i'll see a pit in the character's place, i will sit down on the ege of the pit, and then will put each leg over the pit and after that will croll on my hands and body across it.
what do you think?
and in which way, if you was in these characters place, how would you cross over the pit?
even if it is a fire pit.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-07 18:07:49

hi there
i believe in most cases, the preferable way to cross these pits would be simply to jump over them, that is, from the edge launch yourself in the air, and land on the other edge while being airborn when over the pit. that's why a person is required to hold up arrow and then the side arrow keys, or even tap them quickly.

if you try to sit and hang your legs downwards, it won't work well. that is because if a pit is too wide you won't be able to put your legs on the other edge and stand up. even then, if you try to do that or crawl across, you're more likely to lose balance at some point and fal deep down in the pit.

as far as we talk about fire pits, it is even hard to imagine the above situation camochek, if one sits down on the edge of a firepit, his legs would catch fire as soon as he tries to take them across. it is better to jump high in the air over fire pits, or lava pits as there were in super liam.

besides, the concept of pits in side scrollers seems a bit strange to me, like if a person is moving straight ahead and encounters a pit, there has to be a way around it as in real life. if the pit is huge, still it could end after walking a distance around the pit itself.
however, if they can't be crossed that way, it becomes more like a river, or just a large gap in the entire area, stretching horizontally as far as the eyes can see, or put it as infinitely or across the whole landscape, more like separating the land into 2, 3, or subsequent parts.
if that's the case, those gaps tend to be larger even for jumping across them, as generally one doesn't find smaller strips separating the land horizontally, and that too, at frequent ocasions.
if we think about lakes, or streams of water, they should be more wide, useful for crossing in a boat.

further opinions and views are welcome

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-07 18:40:28

We're blind, so we need a sighted person to help us jump over them smile. I'm crazy jumping from pit to pit in all side scrollers. That's my favorite obstacle. But I don't know what we can do in the real life.

2014-07-07 19:05:19

Why should I bother jumping or crawwling crossing the pit when my dog Reever would much more enjoy working her way around it? big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-07 20:06:05

hi,
that's what i meant, and even if one puts it in games it sounds slightly absurd if the separation sinario isn't there. as per not being able to find a way, i think the characters in the games like sl are supposed to be sighted, and there has to be no alternative other than to cross the pit. it can occur only if the pit horizontally extends to unseen distance, or it is not possible to move around it because of the same reason.

as per blinds able to recognise the pit, in real life there shouldn't be any indicaters, as if there would not be a wind coming from the pit itself, so they are just for adding challenge to the side scroller in my opinion.

regards
sid

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-07 20:20:47 (edited by kamochek 2014-07-07 20:26:35)

hi.
i think we, blinds can use ouer walking stick to recognise pit, or use the foot.
if you see that your ending of the foot isn't standing on the ground, it mean that a pit is infrunt of you.
btw: i think also a way to cross pit is to put a peece of wood on it and walk on this peece of wood like on a bridge, but insted of a bridge which stand and not move, this will be bridge which you can cross pits and take it with you.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-07 20:31:10

Kamochek, as someone who has gone spelunking, explored actual caves, I can tell you from firsthand experience what you propose wouldn't always work in a real life situation. Especially, when exploring certain caves etc. Many times the gap in the ground, chasm, or pit, is so wide that the only realistic way to cross the gap is to jump for it and hope you don't misjudge the distance. I've been in places where the gap is about a meter across, and crawling over the gap just isn't practical. A person would have a better chance jumping it.

Sid, its not always possible to simply walk around a pit or chasm in real life as you suggest. Sure, if you are in a wide open area one should be able to simply walk around it. However, I've been in caves where the chasm runs from wall to wall and walking around it simply was not an option. Inside a temple or building like in Tomb Hunter the same idea would apply. If the pit, chasm, or similar runs from wall to wall the main character can't walk around the edges of the pit. He or she must jump to the other side.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-07 20:31:46

Hello folks. As I spent some years in my life in rural landscapes. I mean, I lived on a city during all my life so far, but some of my family friends, and even my parents had farms at some points. And today I also help to take care of some abandoned animals with the aid of my sister. The fact is, I had to cross pits a few times in my life so far. I prefer and agree that it is better to surround the area for another solution first, but in the case wI really had to jump over it I used a shaft, my cane or even a branch to detect the proportions of the given pit and then jumped over it.
A bit careless, I know, but neither my family, neither I knew how to take care of a blind boy, in the case, me. So I grown like a sighted person whenever possible.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-07-07 20:48:18

hi tward.
why in temple there should have pits?
or you talking about temples in games?
because i sure that there are temples still in these modern times.
but budist, or hindu, have pits in their temples to throw to them someone as a present to their gods?
not talking about the religion again, but just question: why should temples have pits? and is it in reallity or just in games?
and i'm myself had a dream about pit.
i came to the kingdom of nightmares, and then i and my dad went inside a palace, where maybe the king of nightmares.
there was a plastic floor, and in the middle of the corredore was a pit which leading to hell.
i knew that because i've hared down from there a screeming of the sauls which the lord sent them for a punishment which will never finish for them.
then, i jumped on my dad's back and he jumped over the pit when i sat on his back like a rider on a horse.
i've in 2011 also saw a plastic pit in a middle of a room, but only touched with my hand and went away.
and btw: as for going around the pit, you can do this in some games, like night of paraside.
there are fire pits there, and you can jump or walk around.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-08 09:22:48

Hi.
depending on the size of a pit, I would use my cane to get a feeling on how big it is, and if I can reach the other side of the pit. If I can't reach the other side of the pit with my cane, I would never try to jump across it on my own. I have never seen pits in the real life, or sure I have, but then there were bridges over the pits. smile
It's kinda cool that people have seen pits in caves in the real life. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-07-08 09:27:25

kamochek, the temple ment by Tom is the one he did in his game Tombe Hunter, and not a real one, just to clarify.

2014-07-08 09:45:04

hi.
i also been in caves, but there wasn't pits.
someone here was in israel? in jerusalem?
there is a place in jerusalem wich called "sataf."
there you will find many caves, and one cave even have a waterfall inside of it.
but there are no pits.
and question, which i don't know the answer to it: what the different between pit and casome?
even if i don't know what this word means in english.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-08 11:37:27

Kamochek, when I was referring to pits in temples I was talking about a purely imaginary temple. Not any specific or real ones. Lots of treasure hunting games from classic arcade games such as Montezuma's Revenge to modern third-person adventures like Tomb Raider have pits, chasms, and so on as traps to make the game more challenging for the player.

As far as the terminology goes a chasm is simply a very large pit that is extremely deep. For instance, a pit might only be 10 feet deep if it is intended to trap an intruder, but a chasm could be hundreds of feet deep. Obviously, a chasm is a naturally occurring pit in the ground where a pit, such as in a temple, could be man made.

As for using a board or piece of wood to cross a pit or chasm I suppose that is possible, but carrying one around could get cumbersome. You'd want to make sure whatever you used could carry your weight , and was wide enough to easily cross. That is a pretty good sized plank that could get extremely heavy to lug around from place to place. So not precisely practical for an adventurer or explorer to use on expeditions. More commonly in games these days the explorer has a simple tool like a grappling hook he or she can use to swing over the pit or chasm which would be easy to carry on their person and gets the job done.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2014-07-08 12:30:31

Well, I have to use my cane to feel the pit. then I'll jump over it.

2014-07-08 13:13:47

Socheat wrote:

Well, I have to use my cane to feel the pit. then I'll jump over it.

So, what if the pit is so wide you can't reach the other end with your cane ? Would you then jump out in the air and just hope the best? Lol.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-07-08 13:23:04

sorry for that silly question:
but i don't know what is cane.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-08 17:09:39

kamochek wrote:

sorry for that silly question:
but i don't know what is cane.
kamochek.

It's what we, blind people, hold with our hands to help us walk alone. I don't know Russian so I can't translate it to you.
Also, old people walk with canes.

2014-07-08 17:27:17

hi.
ah, ok.
in hebrew we it's name is walking stick, or touching stick.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-09 02:02:33

SLJ wrote:

So, what if the pit is so wide you can't reach the other end with your cane ? Would you then jump out in the air and just hope the best? Lol.

If that a problem, I'm gonna have a sited to tell me how size of that pit. big_smile

2014-07-09 02:29:41

Hi guys, let's Choose one of the pits we know from one of the games and jump inside to see what there is, maybe there is a safer place from the outside. LOL.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2014-07-09 03:00:24

in the bag wrote:

Hi guys, let's Choose one of the pits we know from one of the games and jump inside to see what there is, maybe there is a safer place from the outside. LOL.

I think the pit in the game is very small. easy to jump, isn't it? lol.

2014-07-09 13:02:32

Hi. Well first I'd get my super duper jumping shoes, then, run, jump, scream wooo hooooo! land and... hope the poisoness snakes don't kill me. Or if  we are talking about that boring thing called real life, what ever that is, I'd go to the pit, sweep my Kane across it and if the cane doesn't reach the  other side, then no way am I jumping it. but even if it does reach the other side I'd still be very careful.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-07-09 16:22:08

hi.
and what about using the guiding dog?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-07-10 00:19:40

I have seen in jymnastics a spunge pit, a hole in the ground containing spunges, so that even if you fall you don't even get hurt, you just hit the top of the spunges. even if you were to hit the spunges with enough force to go through it to the bottom there is a trampoline there. the objective of those spunge pits are to hold a rope, jump, bend your knees, and unbend them as the end of the pit approaches.

devin

2014-07-10 00:20:45

Kamochek, well, I suppose you could throw the dog across the pit and see if it safely lands on the other side. If you hear a large howl as the dog falls down the pit then you know you misjudged the distance or that it is too far to cross. big_smile

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive