2007-06-13 21:15:45

A demo for Rail Racer is now available for download through http://www.blindAdrenaline.com. Have fun!

2007-06-13 23:22:41

Hi guys, Che Martin here, the developer of Rail Racer.
  Thanks for the post Richard, I appreciate you letting folks know about the demo.
  If you get the demo, be sure and read the read me file that comes in the zip, it has important installation instructions.
  The full release of the game will be available for purchase in a week, allowing lots of other cool features, check the site for details.
  I look forward to seeing what you guys think of the demo.
  Enjoy,
  Che

2007-06-14 02:08:06

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the game. I was really looking forward  to it, yet I can't even tell where the curves are, there is no sound descriptions menu, the keys are realyl awkward, why not the arrow keys to accelerate? The documentation is not at all detailed, I still have to listen to the tutorials and trailers but I still expected something a bit easier to get the hang of. I mean I played the track and I seemed to be doing laps without taking any curves, I didn't hear any boop sound for a jump or anything like that. What do you think?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-06-14 02:58:46

Not sure what is going on with your system Mike.  you should be hearing the curves, as well as the sounds indicating jumps.
  No one else has reported any problems with this.
  As for using the arrow keys, if I had mapped the keys that way, how would you shift gears, believe me, I spent a lot of time designing the control system of the game, and this is the best way.
  Regarding the documentation, I'm not sure what you are talking about in reference to it not being detailed, there is nothing there it doesn't cover if you read it.
  Also, there is an option to listen to all the game sounds in the options menu.
  This game may not be to everyone's taste, but as far as not hearing sounds and the like, that sounds like a system problem specific to your machine, not the game itself.
  Later,
  Che

2007-06-14 15:00:17 (edited by Mike 2007-06-14 15:02:19)

There is an option for that? Cool I'llcheck it out. It is kind of hard for me to hear certain sounds if I don't know what they are before I play. As for shifting keys, could you add an option to change the key map, if there isn't already one? For shifting gears I was thinking a and z, like in Top Speed 2. Oh, and sorry for being so negative about the game. Lol

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-06-14 19:32:33

Hmmmm mike, I'm slightly surprised that you haven't heard the curve or jump indicaters, ---- are you using headphones? there is indeed a learn game sounds menue, just check under the "game options" menue to find it.

As for not taking curves, sinse the game is "rale racer" and you are driving a car that runs along a rale, it's not a question of taking the curves without crashing, so much as taking them at the correct angle so that you don't lose too much speed, --- but as you've probably found out, you certainly can! crash on the jumps.

As to the documentation, I deffinately suggest you check out the two audio tutorials Che has posted on http://www.blindadrenaline.com/ one will tell you all about the menues, the other will demonstrate the game. I'd absolute! recommend you here these (I believe they will be included with the full release), especially considdering that Rale racer is one of those games that you really have to practice with and build up your intuitions rather than just understanding the mechanics.

As to the keys, i was slightly surprised myself when i first came across them, but having played the game I can deffinately understand the reason why, sinse there are many things you need to activate and check during the race, such as shifting gears, which would be difficult to do on arrow keys because you couldn't get to the keys fast enough. i haven't fully got to grips with the mouse control yet, but I will certainly see if I can master it, as it sounds fun.

I will admit rale racer takes a bit of learning, but the phrase "easy to learn, hard to master" comes to mind here.

As you can probably guess, I'm well impressed with the game (and I'm not usually a huge fan of racing games), and will certainly be getting my mits on the full version as soon as i can.
rials and such first.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-06-14 21:57:59

I agree you did a great job on rail racer. I couldn't get to grips with the mouse myself despite having had a lot of experience with them while I was sighted, but when I plugged in my old joystick I loved it. I'm not great but I enjoy it so much.

I just have two suggestions. Firstly in the configure joystick buttons menu, I tried setting the nitro button but changed my mind and couldn't back out. I then hit a button just to leave the menu, and then decided I wanted RPM indicator on that button. Unfortunately now it does both at once when I press it so perhaps either limiting one function per button or else a "press the button you would like for this control or C to clear" type option would be helpful.

The second would be the ability to interrupt speech at the start or end of a race.

Other than this though the game is utterly amazing.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-14 22:23:26

I've not been able to try the joystick options, but I wonder Cx2 how much speech there will be in the full version of the game as compared to the demo at the end of each race, sinse obviously in a full game you will have records of your lap times etc, so won't be constantly told "you have a new record for this track" ---- well not unless you have one of course.

Stil i can see the point about the interupt. Again, I'm really pleasantly surprised with Rale racer.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-06-14 23:16:05

True. Then again it just told you your total time on the track so I guess you could argue it doesn't need to repeat that detail, only your new record for a lap.

I like it so much I might actually see how much a USB wheel is for my PC laugh.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-16 09:52:45

Hmm, i saw many bugs in the game. first of all, in the menu, when you press the u or the h key, the game crashes. The second key can be the j too, i'm not sure.
In the review game sounds menu, some sound won't play when you press enter on it.
You can get more then 100% damage.
when you got for example 92% damage, the car races slowly, but when you restart the race, the car is fast again.
next, the game crashes many times when i paused the game and continue it.

Can you make a 30 days testversion of the game? I want to test the multyplayer and other functions, before i will buy the game.

2007-06-17 12:44:22

I think Rail Racer is an Awesome game. It really rokcs! I mastered the mouse controls and it is even better than racing with the keyboard. My friend suggests you put an option in for Automatic or Manual gear transmission since he has a problem gearing up or down. Thanks for your hard effort to produce Rail Racer. Yes, I've seen those bugs, but I ignore them since there is no use for the keys U and H in the menu-system.

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2007-06-17 15:20:19

Hmmmm, personally, I really enjoy the changing gears business and imho automatic gears would take a lot away from the game, sinse I love the stratogy of changing gears at the right time, ----- obviously the final decision is up to che though.

I've not noticed any of the bugs you mention Leonard, accept for the U key thing. The learn game sounds menue seems to work fine for me, and I've quite often paused the race to continue a moment later. As to damage, I've always fixed my racer as soon as I acquire any, so haven't had a chance to check out how much difference it makes to your speed.

All I can suggest is that you get all the latest windows updates, ----- not just direct x, sinse apparently these can effect performance of the game.

I've checked my finances, and will luckily be able to afford Rale racer, though annoyingly I'll be visiting my parents next week so will miss out on a couple of days of racing grrrrrr!

2007-06-17 18:56:09

I understand your game rail racer. I can't drive, because I understand.

2007-06-17 20:14:49

Hey, I did see the sounds menu bug, one time it workedthen after I played a race some sounds didn't play.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-06-21 16:05:41

Hmmmm that's an odd one, but I'll be buying the game so we'll be able to see if the bug is stil around in the full release or just in the demo.

Vlsec, perhaps if you let us know what part of Rale racer your having trouble understanding we might be able to help.

2007-06-22 09:16:03

Hi all,
  Sorry for the late post, been busy.
  I will check that out about the joystick button remapping, never ran across that in testing unfortunately.
   Yes, some of the keys for the demo cause a crash, because they are meant for the full version, for instance j will take you right into join a multi player game.  My apologies for not taking those keys out in the demo.
  As I stated in the tutorial, the demo is there to give you a taste of the full game, career mode, tournaments and online play are really the meat of the game, and where the fun is at.  And of course making your own tracks and sharing them.
  Check back with you all later, and really glad you guys like it.
  Take care,
  Che

2007-06-22 16:53:54

yow che
thanks for doing the effert and releasing this awesome game!
what a genious idea of having the race on a rail and not like a normal car racing game! really inovaitive.
we will start looking in to making internet multyplayer games. since thanks to your game and some other audiogames that support internet playability between friends we understood how an important experience that can be!

best regards and congratulation!
Yakir Arbib