2014-07-05 15:50:09

Hello, everyone!
Is there any way to extract contents like sounds or pictures from a .exe file? Let's say i had a program that i, erm, programmed and there is a commercial sound in it. Then my computer was reformatted and i forgot to back the sound up and, unfortunately the link for the sound from my male was deleted accidentally by me. But now i have the program that has that sound with me and i don't want to buy the sound again or request another download link for the sound. So how to extract the sound from the program? Thanks!

Best regards,
Kenzon

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-07-05 16:14:15

Hi if you programmed in bgt and know your encryption password you can decrypt the files other programming languages may have such functions

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-07-05 16:39:47

I think there is a program called universal extractor that should get the job dun. although I mainly used it to extract dlls.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-07-05 17:25:26

@Burak, unfortunately i forgot the password... (silly me... I backed up the program and didn't back up my password... LOL)
@americandad2001, i'll try that and see what it does. I'll post back when i tried it.
Thanks guys!

2014-07-05 18:43:12

If you forgot your password in bgt there's nothing that can be done

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-07-06 09:59:18

yes, universal extractor can do it.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-07-06 12:06:55

Speaking about extracting thingy from the exe file, the 7zip is also works.

2014-07-06 14:51:50

Hello,
Why can't some exe files be extracted? It said something about the type being an application file and the program cannot extract it. So what now? Thanks!

Best regards,
Kenzon

2014-07-07 14:37:49

OK i try to refrain from double posting, but how can you extract the .exe programs you programmed in BGT? Also, can the free version of BGT do that? Just curious. Thanks!

All the best,
Kenzon

2014-07-07 17:51:56

if by free version you mean the version just released last month, then yes.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-07-08 12:27:46 (edited by burak 2014-07-08 12:28:30)

Hi, as I have said, you need the encryption password the develepor defined. Without that you can't do anything.

2014-07-08 14:52:44

OK, let's assume i have the password, how can i extract the pack from .exe? I mean, if you open BGT, it asks you for a bgt script. So what now? I'm not familiar with .exe files in BGT, because i often program the scripts in BGT, check for errors, fix them and then only i compile it into a program. Sorry if my question seems wierd because i'm only a beginner in programming. (I know in the readme it talks about the open_pack script or something, but i'm not sure). Thanks.

All the best,
Kenzon

2014-07-08 15:31:59

You need to code a script that does that, via the decryption thing you can find in the manual.

2014-07-20 22:15:45 (edited by musicalman 2014-07-20 22:17:17)

Just to clarify:
I'm not a Windows expert, but what I can safely tell you is that an .exe, like any other file in Windows, can contain any type of content. Universal Extractor probably isn't going to get a lot of encripted content out of an executable. There are ways to extract encripted content from memory dumps that the executable file creates to run. At least I think that's how it works. The content has to be decripted someplace along the line when it is being used, and hackers can take advantage of that to extract content from an encripted source. I've seen it done but I have no desire or knowledge to learn how to do it myself.
So to keep it simple. If it's encripted, you'll either need to decript it properly, or hack it. If it's not encripted, something like Universal Extractor should be able to handle it. I would advise that you be careful doing this, because this kind of extraction is not encouraged on this forum, particularly if it has to do with audio games. So if you decide you want to extract the sound files from a game, and you succeed, it would be very wise not to post about it here, unless it is your own content. Just sayin...

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.