2014-07-01 16:55:02 (edited by the doctor 2014-07-01 16:57:01)

I am aware that there is a topic on web hosting already in this room.  However, I am not looking to pay.  I would like an accessible free web host, where I could upload HTML pages and content etc.  If I could tie an e-mail address into this site as well for contact purposes it would be very useful.
has anyone got any suggestions that would help here?
thanks in advance.
Also, a brief note to the moderators.  The phrase "FreeWebHosting" comes under a spam filter, whereas the phrase "web hosting" doesn't... Could this possibly be fixed?

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.

2014-07-01 17:34:32

Doctor, if you aren't willing to spend money that pretty much narrows your options. I can't think of any completely free web hosting options at this second other than applying for a virtual domain, and then running a web server off your PC which is not the most ideal situation. Still that is possible to do and isn't very expensive.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-02 22:11:49

Thanks for the reply Tom.  I know that hosting wouldn't be very expensive if done off of my own computer, but personally at this point in time I wouldn't exactly know where to begin. HTML is all fine and good but actually getting a 24/7 server up and running and registering a domain etc?  I'm not sure where to start.

I also know that pelantas had a tutorial that explained where to get a free domain and other useful tips like that, in some kind of program.  If anyone else has this tutorial, then it would be greatly appreciated if it could be uploaded, as I can't seem to find it anywhere.

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.

2014-07-03 19:46:59

Your best bet would be to get a domain and use Dropbox LOL or one of the other free storage hosts like Mega (50 GB for free).
What you could do is root the domain to your shared link and people could visit your shared link and see your website through that.
There are also some free website places you can find if you google free website, but they also have a need for a domain.
The cheapest thing you could do and still be really doing real web hosting is use amazon s3.
They are $0.03 a month for 1 GB. Every GB above that is also $0.03 till you reach 1 TB, then it goes down.
You still need a domain though.

2014-07-03 19:59:48

Hi,

I really don't understand how this discussion has not included the hundreds of free webhosting providers out there. There's heaps and heaps of webhosts that offer subdomains and storage for free. You get what you pay for in that regard, not a heck of a lot of support and you have to search around a little for a good deal but for basic websites this is more than enough.

Balliol

2014-07-03 20:50:57

There are a couple options that come to mind:
First, if you're willing to fiddle around, there are google sites. They have a bit of stuff at the top of each page, but they're workable.
Secondly, and I would personally say much better, is to just use dropbox. You're site will have a wierd link, but there's nothing easier than simply editing all of your files on your computer and having them instantly up and ready to go. Just put your site in your public folder, and give the link to index.html and you're good to go. The only problem with this approach is that you get slightly limited bandwidth (20gb/day for free, 200gb/day for paid).

2014-07-03 20:59:27

Hi,, there's 000webhosting.com, but that gives you limited space. So what I advice you to do is to create an account there and upload your html files in there. Since it gives you limited space, you should upload the files you want to share to a file sharing site.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-07-04 19:55:17

My ishue with 000webhost, is I believe you have to fill out a captcha? I don't know, as I have not used it in like, 2 years.

2014-07-04 21:22:30 (edited by queenslight 2014-07-05 04:41:19)

For those who are wanting free web space, give "Free Hosting No Ads!" a shot. My referral link is below:

http://api.freehostingnoads.net/redir/13958

You can upgrade to a paid package at any time, and you can also use a sub domain or top level one of your own if ya have one.
20 GB of space, 200000 Bandwith limit per month, unlimited file size upload.
Note! For security reasons, .exe uploads by themselves are nto supported, for obvous reasons.
The service has been around since December, 2011.
BTW, if you turn off java script, ya can get an audio captcha. Just a secret I learned.
The people there are quite friendly.
By the way, Free Hosting No Ads does support Word Press, Droople, etc, and has auto installers for those. So you don't have to do all the set up yourself.

2014-07-05 00:00:47

Hey, Can you give that link again please? It doesn't seem to work...
Thanks,

2014-07-05 04:37:28

Here ya go:
http://api.freehostingnoads.net/redir/13958

I may have not paste the entire link in the other post that has it.
I'll update that one too.

2014-07-05 05:22:30

www.free-webhosts.com, if it's still up, iss a complete directory of free hosts, complete with reviews and ratings, and detailed information about each free webhost.
  Or, if you want to go the dropbox route, I'd suggest registering a domain and then forwarding it to the url of your index page. There are free short sub-domain services out there such as .usa.cc, .co.nr etc, where you can register domains and forward them. Also, there's a free top-level domain called dot.tk where you can do the same thing, though it requires a captcha to be filled out.
Another good webhost, though probably not as good as free hosting no ads, is 0fees.net. It doesn't provide much space, but still has auto script installer with support for your basic scripts, and quick loading times.
Also, I've tried 000webhost.com, but my site was always down.
  Just some suggestions to throw out there, since I've spent 5 years with, or looking for, a website host.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2014-07-05 08:47:50

HM, not working either.
Is there anywhere else to say you recommended me?
thanks,

2014-07-05 18:59:43

Hi. I'm surprised its not working for ya...
Link is working fine here.. It just takes about 5 seconds to load.
But just in case, here's a shorter URL of the same referral link:
http://xed.cc/fhna+

I can make a "Web Archive.mht" file, if ya need me too.. thus have it open in Internet explorer, if needed.

Sadly, this is the only wayt for referring, is to use the link.

2014-07-05 19:29:11

I tried chrome, firefox and IE on both links and all give me a "Page can not be displayed. I am not sure why if it works for you... Are you sure that is the right link?

2014-07-05 19:36:40

yep?
Only one there..
If it truly ain't working for ya, use the normal site link:

http://freehostingnoads.net
, and go at it the normal way.

Sorry you are having problems..

2014-07-06 04:00:03

How do you get between referral links and register with a normal site. you get more space, or something than register in a normal way?

2014-07-06 10:50:02

To be honest, I truly am not sure.
Back in the day, free web hosting was two GB only, and now its up to 20 GB.
Also, a VIP supporter, if ya hav 50 out of 50 referrals for it, was 10 GB, but again, its now at 20 GB.
With that being said, here's the plans that you have, besides the "free one:
http://freehostingnoads.net/webhosting.php

2014-07-06 12:05:45

Ah, I see.

2014-07-07 15:15:52

For a detailed explanation about this process, refer to the uploading servers topic. There is a pretty good amount of information about how this works.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-08-10 23:16:34 (edited by the doctor 2014-09-01 23:30:19)

Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

I wondered about the following:

Freehostingnoads:
Can you just upload your html files straight to the server and they'll show up, or do you have to use a domain (such as .tk) and upload it to that?  I@m a little confused.
In reference to dot tk, I had a look and it doesn't seem a good idea since if you don't get 25 unique hits every 90 days, the free domains are taken down.  Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this part of the puzzle?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2014-08-11 04:34:02

http://freewha.com
unlimited bandwidth, 2 gb disc space, 12 mb filesize limit.
good hosting!

new Russian company "xgames"! This company makes the Russian games and translates it into English! Require programmers! if you want to join, please contact us by email "[email protected]

2014-09-01 23:28:11

I've been looking at more tutorials, but the problem seems to be more confusing than when I started.  I don't mind having free hosting, even if the webspace is a little small.  But what I really want to know is what order to set everything up in and whether there are any services where I can just upload html files directly and they appear as they are formatted.

I know I keep bumping this topic but I just want a guide as to what I should do, as well as answers to my questions in post 22... if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2014-09-02 02:40:22

Hi,

If you do not mind, I could give you a little space on my server for you to upload files via FTP, plus a free yourname.tk domain. I could get it all set up if you like, just drop me a PM or skype, and we can set something up.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2014-09-02 09:52:06

I'm using a site called wapka.mobi. You can create websites, chats and forums. My website is on my signature.