2007-05-30 16:11:22

Hi,
    I'm looking for some MUD reccomendations along the lines of the following:
1: I'd like the mud to have special features for the blind
2: I'd also like to avoid the hack and slash styles such as Godwars2.  Godwars2 is fun but killing monsters gets boring after a while.
3:  I much prefer a skill based advancement system.

2007-06-01 02:30:20

Unfortunately most muds seem to end up as hack and slash of some type eventually. However Miriani is a decent space-based game with more to do, I believe there was another topic on here linking to special scripts for Monkeyterm that really make a huge

The game itself is at toastsoft.net port 1234, and you need to type "sight" the first time you're in.

There is also a fairly nice fantasy mud I know of, but long distance navigation is currently tricky and there are no specially designed features. It does end up as hack and slash, but you can work on crafting items instead.difference.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-01 03:16:46

Thanks cx2.  Can you tell me about the fantacy Mud you mentioned?

2007-06-02 01:39:40

www.dark-legacy.com

Unfortunately there is also a world map on here which is ascii. If we had a list of coordinates we could get there with a sextant, but I'm not aware of any reasonably complete list. Just look carefully at your race, star sign and ancestry options if you join and don't choose mundane ancestry like I did. They usually suggest warrior for your first class but I found paladin works just as well, you get a decent heal too that way and can pick up warrior as a second or third class later if you wish.

Useful commands are-
config -minimap
config -prompt
config -gainmsg
These turn off the minimap, prompt, and messages about skill increases which tend to get spammy. Sadly it also throws out messages about the command queue but there is no config option to disable them. Also the minimap toggle doesn't disable the world map ascii view, only the minimap in normal rooms. The world map is used to get between areas, and once in it is just like AA or any other mud.

Also useful is glance, which lets you see roughly how much harm something has taken including yourself. It is also a good idea to try and get hold of some bandages fairly early on too, since you can be wounded and bleed quite nastily - it reduces your health over time as well as adding a penalty.

Skills increase with use, being capped at a certain percentage depending on your class. You can choose a second class at level 50 but you start back at level 1 with both and your experience is split between the two classes, when you hit 50 again you can pick a third and when you are 50 for the third and final time you can become an epic character entering epic level dungeons and areas.

As long as you are sensible the people are fairly good on the whole, and it can be fairly fun. Oh, and flight can be handy on the world map. When combined with a sextant a flying char could get you anywhere you know the coordinates to, bear in mind all sextants are inaccurate to a degree so you need to find out how inaccurate your sextant is and which direction. Some races give flight as well as air elemental ancestry, and it also exists as a spell but with limited duration or on certain items.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-02 02:10:43

Do you play dark legacy? I found it yesterday.  If so, I'm camlorn.

2007-06-02 03:14:24

Yes I do. I'm usually on as either Darech a half elf paladin or Eldych my mage. If you are humanoid Darech can heal you up before you can blink, and Eldych has quite a nice armour spell as well as some quite nasty offensive spells.

cx2
-----

2007-06-02 05:49:27

If you are going to play a starwars mud, or futuristic, in other words, the best one is:
http://lotj.wolfpaw.net
Called The Legend Of The Jedi.
And about fantasy, the best one I've seen is:
http://www.darkrisings.com
Called Dark Risings.
Both of these muds I mentioned are heavily RP, and neither need a map. So you can just RP and forget about the hack and slash aspect. In fact, in Dark Risings, you'll get to level 50 in one week, and then you'll have to focuss on roleplaying.

2007-06-02 15:59:25

Thanks Parham.  Will role playing cause you to advance?

2007-06-03 00:51:09

Roleplaying is just hanging about talking with people pretending to be your character. I am sorry but I need a bit of something else too, I do roleplay some but I also need something more to do than sitting around taverns or wherever pretending to be a warrior when I hardly ever fight.

cx2
-----

2007-06-03 01:32:19

I agree with you cx2.  However, killing mobs gets boring too.  I enjoy things like questing for my xp and roleplaying all the time would just get really boring really fast.

2007-06-03 02:12:35

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of everything player. I'll fight, quest, explore, roleplay, you name it.

However I like to have more than one option, and role[playing is probably one of the fastest things to get boring followed by hack and slash.

cx2
-----

2007-06-03 08:45:32

Yes. There are clans in both, and also a lot of quests which I haven't seen anyone complete all of them. And there are a lot of weekly and such events.

2007-06-03 16:31:34

I've got a question about dark legacy.  How do you find new areas to explore without a list of coordinates?

2007-06-03 21:15:50

Yeah I tried that but no one answered my question. That's why I didn't like it...
In this LOTJ, you have got the required coordinations and planet list so you just calculate and hyperspace and there you go. Lol

2007-06-04 00:03:15 (edited by cx2 2007-06-04 00:04:19)

One way before you hit level 15 is to buy a map from the guy just above the room you start in. Look at the map and it will take you there, unless you are level 15 or over.

The other is to ask someone to take you there to get the runewalk pillar or waypoint. If I'm on with Eldych I can summon you to the location just outside the entrance if you ask, the usual areas from level 15 up so far I've used are-
15 up Kendermore
mid 20's Ancient Caverns
Mid 30's up the Dark Elf city, also known as the city/land of the forsaken

I know in the case of the Ancient Caverns you will need to get the pillar at Highmoon, from there you can use the waypoint and travel system.

cx2
-----

2007-06-04 03:07:52

When are you usually on cx2?

2007-06-05 00:20:22

I have sleep issues and am on GMT so I'm afraid I'm not very consistent, sorry. I can try getting some sextant positions to the more important locations though, should be fairly simple to use especially if you have the fly spell. Innate flight or flight from a magic item is preferable but you can also use it to just circumvent something when you hit it.

cx2
-----

2007-06-05 00:29:50

Coordinate lists would be grate.  We could even start a web site with the list.  I'm also considering talking to an immortal about making it blind friendly.

2007-06-05 00:34:31 (edited by cx2 2007-06-05 00:35:34)

Sorry that not all have coords.

1. Tarsonis woods (180, 155) ?

2. Midian Hills (139, 151) ?

3. Kendermore Valley (120, 201) ?

4. Tyr (328, 187) ?

5. Enchanted Timberlands - Forest (170, 142) ?
    Pixie Forest (lvl 6-9)
    Tullfuhrzky Manor (lvl 4-50)
    Mist Faeries (lvl 8-13)

6. The Forest of Haon Dor (lvl 4-27)

7. The D'rir Mountains (lvl 12-50)

8. Trise

a. Ashburg (player hamlet) Shadows of the Storm
  b. Bishop's Gulch
  c. Camp Bluegrove (player hamlet)
  d. Darstan (player hamlet)
  e.
  f. Hammerford (player hamlet)  Order of Angels
  g. Myrine (player hamlet) Amazons

a. The Nexus (lvl 50-50)

13. Abandoned Observatory (lvl 5-15) (157, 156) ?

15. Barbarian Plains (lvl 42-50)

17. Cedrych Forest ? (380, 381) ?

19. Checker Board

20. Dar'Avols Realm (lvl 30-36) ?

21. Deathtrap Dungeon (lvl 17-32)

23. Dragone Isle

25. Freeport

27. Hall of Worlds (lvl 12-50)

28. Holy Grove (lvl 7-18)

30. Land of the Fire Newts (lvl 5-15)

31. The village of Kusnir (lvl 6-17)

32. Ocean Keep (lvl 5-50)

34. Sea of Storms (lvl 26-46)

36. Shattered Refuge (lvl 7-22)

37. The Curse of the Necromancer (lvl 30-50)  (188, 102) ?

38. The Glacial Rift of the Jarl (lvl 34-50)

39. The Ivory Keep (lvl 32-50)

41. The Keep of Valor (lvl 12-27)

42. The Keep of the Warlock (lvl 12-22) Dark Forest

43. The Legacy of Xchantharus (lvl 45-50)

44. Orc Holdings (lvl 19-32)

cx2
-----

2007-06-05 00:37:20

Oh sorry to double post but the edit box doesn't work too great for me. You need to find your offset, use Tarsonis Woods as the baseline. Leave Tarsonis and find your position, find how much your sextant is out and which direction then use this with the other coords. Each sextant has a unique inaccuracy, but it is always out by the same amount in the same direction. I'll find the one for the ancient caverns and Highmoon for you myself too.

cx2
-----

2007-06-05 00:43:28

Okay here those two are. Highmoon is useful because it has a runewalk pillar, and you are within range of the travel command to get to the ancient caverns.

Highmoon 327 321

Caverns 320 335

cx2
-----

2007-06-05 01:30:04

Thanks cx2.  I still have to find a sextant.  We should consider submitting these coordinates to someone with a dark legacy web site so other blnid people could find them.  Like I said I plan to speak to an immortal about the problem of the world map.

2007-06-05 02:21:01

I found a longer list.  It's at www.kiasyn.com/dl/maps.txt.  If you have trouble with that, I can post the list here.

2007-06-05 02:34:07 (edited by cx2 2007-06-05 02:35:08)

I hate to say it but that link seems broken.

And if you go up then east from the main room at the newbie academy (make sure you typed sethome there in case you die or must recall) the newbie shop there sells sextants.

cx2
-----