2007-05-20 01:07:57

well,as this is the offtopic room, I thought I'd vent my pleasure at the new update of this stonking Sf audio drama series from Darker projects.

this is certainly one for fans of Star trek, Bab 5, Dune, Miles vor Kosigan, some books by Isac Asimov and probably quite a lot of other stuff as well, and I'd deffinately recommend it.

there's also some other fun stuff on Darkerprojects as well, including fan made star trek and Dr. Who audio drama, but I've not really gotten into that as yet. Stil, maybe with my new flat and hopefully recording capacities you might even here my acting tallents one of these days.

anyway, long story short, imho the Falcon Banner doth rock! As well as sword of Windser, the byron chronicals and lots of their other stuff. So head over to Darker projects at http://www.darkerprojects.com/ right now!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-05-21 06:44:57

I like it. I find sometimes it is ripping from Andromeda a little too blatantly, but on the whole not bad.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-05-21 08:24:37

Hmmm, well having not particularly seen Andromida I don't personally have that trouble. I think my only problem with Tfb though is that the main character does for some reason very quickly transform into John Sheridan part way through, also i'd like a litle more info about the Amsus sometimes. In general though, I think the series is great! and it's deffinately earned itself harddrive space (a lot of Darker projects stuff I just tend to listen to online).

If you liek Tfb though Cx2, you might also considder trying Sword of Windsar, which is the Prequal series actually set in the days of the fall of the empire. There are only two episodes of it thus far, and I'm not sure where it's going to go, but it's certainly something I'm keeping tabs on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-05-21 14:14:18

Thanks I will.

As for Andromeda, it was essentially a guy with a 300 year old ship of the line trying to rebuild a fallen civilisation. Sound familiar? The first officer Lauren reminds me so much of Becka Valentine, even in voice, and the engineer's talk of being essentially an engineering god is so similar to their engineer Harper. I even noticed sound effects, music and several lines ripped straight from Andromeda.
"If you are looking for the restrooms they're back the way you came"

It had a lot of promise as a TV series to begin with, but got weird later on.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-05-21 19:35:58

Well there have been a few rather nice homages I've noticed in tfb (I've spent all day hearing the series again).

So maybe some of the lines from andromida are those sorts of things. for example, there's the very obvious bit where the captain asks keer "Should I call you bones?" but I rather enjoyed the Duck dodgers cartoon that Captain Tane was watching at the start, ----- a nice Garibaldy reference. I also wonder if all the coffee references, and the diet the doctor gives the captain are from Bab 5 as well.

As to the engineer thing, I find the hole business with Mat Elias past, and what's going on with the captain and the doctor incredibly intreaging, ---- not the least to have such an obviously heroic captain style character, ----- welll ----- let's say bat for the other team.

As to voices, the doctor's voice actually reminds me of Sojiro in the samurai Anime Rurouni Kenshin, ---- though as Sojiro was a complete (though very polite), psychopath, this is obviously just an accident.

I do find some of the stuff on Darker projects varies slightly in quality (I wasn't all that keen on Autumn for example),and as a Dr. who purist I've not gone near that stuff (though I possibly should try it out), but in general i'm quite impressed with their Sf.

2007-05-22 05:48:47

Hmm perhaps. I did certainly find the whole diet thing amusing. Like you I'm also wondering where the Windser sword will go, and if the falcon banner will tie back into it.

cx2
-----

2007-05-22 07:38:59

Well looking at the creddits, it seems that the Sword of Windsar has been written entirely by the Darker projects producer, while the Falcon banner is obviously based on a trilogy of novels, so I'm not sure what will happen as regards tying the two plots together.

In terms of the novels, I'm actually tring to work out if the Tfb series has actually finished the first book yet or not. the victory over the Amsus in the rift and the Captain recieving the Knight's cross seemed a lot like the point where the first book of that sort of series would end. then, the second book is apparently called "Lions pride" and in episode 8 we found out what that meant.

Btw, Sword of windsar is like several series on Darker projects, in that there are only two episodes and things haven't really got going yet. Far horizon is particularly bad in this respect, sinse you only really ge the point of the series in episode 2, though imho Generation 1 could deffinately bennifit from an update as well.

Judging by the amount of series place holders on the site, I do slightly wonder if Darker Projects is slightly two broard in focus sometimes, rather than just getting one series out.

But then again, I'll be looking at joining their forum and hopefully doing some voice acting, so I'll be in a better position to judge how things work.

2007-06-07 23:38:43

I was going to point a friend to this but the site seems out. Aww...

cx2
-----

2007-06-08 00:36:51

Hmmmm odd! I checked them earlier today and they were fine. Oh well, if we're lucky they mmight come back up with an update of something!

Being as they've done the audio drama about Feedback, they might even get a lot of publicity, sinse at the moment Feedback is on the very disturbing Reality Tv program "who want's to be a superhero"

Though I'm not too keen on feedback (for a start, there's only 1 episode), it'd be nice if Dp got some recognition.

2007-06-08 04:23:28

I managed to get to the FB page directly, it seemed it was only the main page which was out luckily.

The more recognition they get though might hopefully mean they have more offers of help, meaning the more they can add... I hope, fingers crossed Dark.

cx2
-----

2007-06-08 09:13:50

Well I agree about the publicity, and as I said would certainly like to help them out myself. Perhaps if they have more resources they can actually fill in all of those place holders on their site, ------ and give a couple of series a few more episodes, which would be good.