2014-05-05 23:44:00 (edited by Blademan 2014-05-05 23:45:27)

Hi everyone.
For those of you who know and appreciate what BTSync is, this topic is for you.
For those of you that don't? well... learn...
http://www.bittorrent.com/sync
Any ways, in my travels of the net tongue i found this:
http://www.bitsynckeys.com
I think it's pretty cool, and it's a nice idea to list publicly available folders.
Now, that being said, there are still risks.
Mainly, don't run anything that's executable without scanning it first! but, that goes for anything you download from the internet.
Also, it seems to be pretty unmoderated, that is, people make accounts, and post keys and descriptions of folders.
It doesn't appear that the site admins personally go through them all, (and really, should you expect them to?)
I've been looking through a few myself, and they seem (as a general observation) on point and, if not always well organized, to have the content they say they have.
Just thought i'd put it up here in case you guys want to contribute with keys, and folders, of your own!

Regards,
Blademan
Twitter: @bladehunter2213

2014-05-06 00:12:21

The concept is interesting, but remember that BTSync like other p2p software exposes your Ip address to anyone accessing your folder.

And this also applies to the downloader.

I would only download/upload or make available anything over BTSync behind a VPN and a good firewall policy.

m

2014-05-06 01:43:34

Hi.
I download bit torrent sink.
I download the addon
But when I go to add a folder, I put in the key, go to brows to the folder I asume it's going to download the stuff to, but it freezes on me.
Does this happen to you?
Could you help?
Thanks

I'm gone for real :)

2014-05-06 03:15:05

HI.
@gellman yes, it does expose your IP. but then again, every time you visit a site, it exposes your IP address.
Every time you send an email it exposes your IP address.
heck. every time you visit audiogames.net it exposes it. (that is, if you're not running through something like tor all the time... which still exposes it to one person) tongue
As long as you're not leaving open anything (port wise) that you don't want the public to see, and you take precautions, you most likely won't run in to any trouble.
that being said, yes you're absolutely right. But as for the VPN? heh that's your personal preference. and a good firewall policy? i have that already, shouldn't you, or, for that matter, anyone using the internet?

Brad, hmm let's see. What version of windows are you running?
Have you gone to the preferences tab, and hit check for updates in BTSync? (make sure you're up to date!)
I assume you're using NVDA? make sure the add on is up to date.
Let me know if any of that helps.

Regards,
Blademan

2014-05-06 04:27:16

Hi.
I'm using windows eight.
lol I should get windows eight point one but every time i try to install it, it ends up either crashing or bringing up something and i am unable to install it using narator.
I'm up to date with the add on and the program.

2014-05-06 04:34:41

Hmm...
Well windows 8. i don't have much experience with that, per say, but i can't think of any problems you should encounter.
Maybe try running it as an administrator? let me know if you don't know how to o that, i'll be glad to help.
hmm... you say it's only when you go to add a folder.
Ok, are you using someone else's secret key? or generating your own? are you entering in a path for the folder, like H:\library or are you hitting the brows button?
Let me know if any of that does it, BTSync is an amazing tool, and there are some really cool folders you're missing out on!

Regards,
Blademan

2014-05-06 06:47:39

I was wondering when someone would eventually do something like this.

The concept is nice, however a lot of the descriptions don't really tell you what you're getting, except for the Lossless Indie Music and Harry Potter fan fiction collection.

Perhaps if it was a bit more moderated, but I don't see how they'd do that.

Since it's so public, I don't really see a site like this sticking around.

I don't mind sharing with friends, but to just throw a key out there is probably something I wouldn't do.

2014-05-06 06:48:39 (edited by brad 2014-05-06 06:49:42)

Hi.
It took time but I've got it now.

I think it's cause i have a 4 tb exsternal hard drive, and it needs to do something like place some folders or files in there before downloading stuff?
I don't know.

I'm downloading the harry potter fan fiction stuff.
It's great.
I've already got some of it, but this is great cause stuff keeps getting added.
my only problem is, if I cut items from one place and put them in my text folder. will they redownload because it thinks I don't have them anymore?

Thanks so much for your help.
Oh and is ther other sites i can go to to download more awesome stuff from bit synk?

2014-05-06 11:18:23

If it's a read-only key (EG it starts with a capital B), then it won't even let you modify the files (this includes cutting). If it's a read/write key (starts with a capital A), then it behaves like dropbox, so anything you modify or delete will be mirrored for everyone else. In that case you probably don't want to cut files because they will be deleted from the folder.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-05-06 16:33:25

Hi.
Oh... have i made a huge mistake then?
I've got the harry potter stuff, made it goto my exstoral hard drive as the folder, once it was all done, i cut it from one place in my hard drive to another. then deleted the bit torrent sink key from the program.

2014-05-06 22:32:24

Hi.
Yes brad, you may have made a mistake
When you delete the key from the program, it will no longer sync that folder. so, if some one puts in a new story, you won't get it.
the point of BTSync is to have it run on a folder all the time, it's not a downloader, it's a synchronizer.
If you want to stay up to date on the HP fanfiction (i posted that, BTW it's the one key here on the forum) I suggest pointing it at where you already have them stored on your computer. It's smart enough to tell if you have the folder already, and if you do, it will index it, and update what needs updating.
And, why would you move them? there already nicely organized tongue
Yes, that's a read only key, so any changes you make won't be mirrored, and frankly i'm glad it is, cause... if it wasn't, you moving them out of the folder would have deleted it from everyone elses, two!
But if you would like to stay up to date, go ahead and add that key again, and dome move anything.
As to the site itself, i just like how files are freely available, and updated. for instants, i have a massive library of TV shows, movies, music, programs, operating systems. (that totals about 1.9 TB) And i'm always looking to expand it, and BTSync folders are a damn good way to do that.
I got 5 gigs of ROMS from one of those folders, and they now happily reside inside my library, waiting for me to download them on my Jailbroken iPhone and play away.

And, i don't know, i wouldn't post anything up there i didn't want to share, but it's a nice way of getting content you didn't have before, and might not find, otherwise.
I think there will be just enough people who think like this to keep the site around.

Regards,
Blademan

2014-05-06 23:45:30

Hi.
Okay I get that it's a sinking service and that's what it does.
But if I was to remove the bit sink key from my computer, nothing should happen to the others who are still synked, right?
Then I could cut and move to where ever I liked, right? Just as long as I remove the key first.

I'm staying with your folder, I like how often it's updated.
I have a folder of hp stuff myself.
But I have a feeling this is going to be bigger.

really random question but  would it be possible to download the hole of fan fiction.net?
all the text files?
I mean with a program or scripts?
I doubt it, why would you want to? well yeah it would be huge but it would be fun  having all the text on there, plus you'd never had to go searching for a story again, unless it was updated, which it would be...
Hmmm I think I'm going to stop now and get back on topic.

I really like bit synk, still getting the hang of it, but yeah it's great so far.

2014-05-07 04:40:58

If you no longer wish to receive updates, then by all means remove that key, but if you're into HP fanfics like I am, you might want to keep that key around.

With older versions of BTSync, if you cut the folder, it would simply redownload it.

I've been experimenting with the latest version and so far my tests are proving that cutting doesn't redownload the content.

This is for read only, full access will behave like Dropbox, so be careful with full access folders.

There's quite a few folders listed with full access,, so I'd imagine they'd be pretty pissed off if you go moving files out of the folder.

I'm always contributing to the fanfic folder, whether it's minor editing of stories or adding new ones.

2014-05-07 22:25:45

Hi.
AH so editing is aloud?
IF so, great.
Don't worry I won't ruin anything but I'll edit if I feel the need.
If i'm aloud that is.
But yeah, if I remove the key from any bit sink folder, no one else will be affected right?

I'm not going to remove the hp key.
I like it.
Actually I have a lot of fan fics they're all in there own author folders.
Would it be okay if I added it to the folder?
Or would that not be aloud?
I have over a gigs worth.
Only problem is, it would change the folder structure slitely since They'd all be in there own author folder and that's not how this folder is layed out.
or if I just added my harry potter fan fic folder to the hp folder, would that be aloud?
I wouldn't be changing the structure then, just adding a new folder.

2014-05-08 00:54:45

Yo.
Um brad, the key that you have i s aread only. which means, any changes you make, will not be reflected on our folders. YOu're welcome to set up your own BTSync folder, and share it here or on the BitSynckeys.com website for everyone.
I have a ton of fanfiction, so if you make one, i want a ful key tongue
I'll go over the steps on how to make one for you real quick, so you know, and can do it if you ever chose to.
Ok. hit the add folder button. now, the first text field is where you'd normally put a secret. but since you're not joining some one elses folder, don't put anything. Now, tab over until you get to the generate button. this will make a full key and put it in the ttext field. Now tab to the browse button. Hit it, and give it a few seconds to look at your computer and then find the folder you want to share.
Hit Ok, then Ok again.
Now your folder is created, but you still need to give out the keys.
to do that, select the folder in the list view, and hit info (it's a button you can tab to)
The first edit box will have the full access secret. give this to people that you trust won't cut things out of the folder, cause if they do... bam. it's gone!
there will be a handy copy button, that will copy the full access. now the next field has your read only secret. People who have this one will get updates to the folder, but won't be able to change things in it. oh they can change them on there end all they like, but it won't affect any one else. now the next fields are for temporary keys. let's say i wanted to give you a key that would only last so long. i'd check what kind of key i wanted to give you with the radio button, (full or read only) and i'd hit new. then i could give you that one and if you didn't use it within 24 hours... no folder for you.
Useful if you post it on public sites, as i think only one person can use it at a time.

And, in answer to your question, no, if you remove the key to the harry potter fanfic on your computer, it won't affect us. you just won't update.

Regards,
Blademan

2014-05-08 01:17:31

Hi.
Thanks so much blademan.
I think I might do that, tomorrow.
Really hope no one cuts my stuff smile

2014-05-08 01:44:41

Hi.
I decided to add the folder and give the key to everyone tonight!
Isn't that great?

Check out the site, it should be there now.
I hope it works and that people are happy.

2014-05-09 05:57:12 (edited by brad 2014-05-09 05:58:16)

Hi.
It seems if you don't log into the site given for the keys, you loos your username and password?
I can't log in.

2014-05-15 06:51:53

The account doesn't expire from what I can see, it just doesn't let you log in sometimes.

Try logging in again and you should be fine.

That's happened to me a few times and it worked the second time.

The site's still in beta so things are bound to be buggy.

I let the author know about the minor annoyance so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

2014-05-19 15:00:17

Hi.
hanks for your help

2014-05-19 18:42:21

I hate to be a pooper but I'm pretty sure this is illegal as all hell. I'm not someone who advocates for that censorship shit but you might want to take this down, since the site's access could be cut off with posts like this.

I used to run a modding community for a GBA game and posting files like this was strictly prohibited because people can and will try to take the site down. Just a heads up.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2014-05-21 08:29:21

I agree the site is probably illegal, but so is what a lot of people on here do with sharing dropbox links on a public forum.

This is really no different than other sharing sites floating around the net.

2014-05-21 16:22:45

Illegal? Meh. Signed up. smile

I always wanted the Interactive Fiction Archive and the RFC repositories available via BTSync, so I'll be submitting those.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-05-22 06:05:49

The only down side is you don't get to choose what you want from the folder, then again BTSync was designed as an alternative to cloud services.

2014-07-27 06:43:26

I am quite late to the bt sync party. big_smile it looks like everyone and anyone is using it nowadays so I thought why not give it a try at least.
But the domain for the link on the first post which would have worked as a good testingground has expired. sad
Recommendations for any good folders with keys therefore would be welcome.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter