2014-04-17 03:07:17

Hi.

Well, I decided to reset my Nexus 7 because there was a lot of crap on it.
I heard that TalkBack could be enabled by holding the power button and pressing two fingers on the screen during the setup process.
This does not work for me. It didn't work the first time I set this up either and when I've turned off TalkBack, the shortcut didn't work either.
So, why doesn't it work? Do I have to hold the power button then put two fingers on the screen and let go of the power button or do I keep holding it down as I press two fingers on the screen?
I'm pretty sure this can be done as I've heard of other people doing it.
However, I am having a lot of issues making this work.
How far apart do my fingers have to be?
Any help is appreciated and I'm not getting sighted help because this is part of my test of Android accessibility.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-04-19 22:19:58

Turn the power on (press and hold for about five seconds and leave). Wait 20 seconds. Now put your fingers on the tab, spread out somewhat: do a victory sign, and then bend your fingers to touch the screen. Press into place and hold, until TalkBack is fully activated.

Good luck on your travels. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-20 00:33:35 (edited by Chris 2014-04-20 00:48:26)

Hi.

Well, I finally copped out and got my sister to help me enable TalkBack.
It's odd because there is no sound that isn ward when you hold the power key in the initial setup screen, but everywhere else there is the sound but putting my fingers on the screen doesn't seem to work. I can go try it again though.
Honestly, I think it should be changed to use a hardware button or combination of buttons because I believe this two finger tap thing is way too complicated.

edit

Well, just tried it again. I turned off TalkBack and tried the jester again. I was able to get the beep sound when I pressed and held the power button, but putting two fingers on the screen doesn't seem to work. I even tried one finger from each hand.
I tried this several times and got no results. Then I guess I hit something on the screen because I heard a little click and I'm not getting the sound for when I press the power button anymore.
So, I think either my device is defective which doesn't seem right or I'm just not doing it the right way.
I guess its off to a sight for help once again. Stupid, stupid google, please make this easier to do.
Any tips that might help would still be appreciated.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-06-06 14:45:13

Alright, Chriss. I've figured out why your accessibility shortcut isn't working. First of all, on the android setup screen, you don't need to use the power button, just hold down two fingers until you hear speech come on. Now for the shortuct anywhere else. Make sure it's enabled in settings first, and it will only work once per session, when I say session I mean the time your device is running before a reboot or shutdown. So, turn off talkback, then hit the home button, which should be the bottom middle of the screen. Now do the shortcut. If it doesn't work, hold down the power button for at least ten seconds, then release this should shut down the tablet. Now turn your device on as normal, and after about 30 seconds, try the shortcut. It will only work once per session, and if you have other accessibility services installed like utter virtual assistant or anything like that, then the shortuct will definitely not work and you should uninstall those services. This does not count for spiel or mobile accessibility, the shortcut will still work, though if you have brailleback with an unsupported braille device, you may have problems with it. There should be a direct access to tripple click the home button 3 times since the home button isn't that hard to find. Again, bottom middle of the screen. At least on my nexus 5 phone, that's where itis, should be the same on the tablet

2014-06-07 05:32:13

On my Moto G, I got the accessibility shortcut to work but I had to go enable it under the accessibility settings, so the first time I had to have sighted assistance to start Talkback. Make sure you look for the accessibility shortcut under the accessibility settings, not Talkback settings. Also the ability to enable the accessibility shortcut is only on 4.2 and above. The Lg Optomus F6 is running 4.1 and while Talkback can be enabled with sighted assistance, the accessibility shortcut option is not under the accessibility settings.

Yes, Google still has a ways to go to be on par with Apple accessibility. Hopefully 4.5 will bring a lot of accessibility improvements. While Apple accessibility does of course have its flaws, the fact that you can't enable speech without sighted assistance then have to go enable a shortcut that should be enabled by default definitely shows that Google could do with some lessons from Apple. They at least got that part and Web Navigation correct. While Talkback works alright in Firefox, the lack of ability to jump between different web elements leaves a lot to be desired. Apple's implementation of this is somewhat clunky as many people well know, but at least it's there and it works the majority of the time, for me, anyway.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2014-06-07 16:10:37

@victorious: Actually can jump by web elements with talkback and firefox. Flick up or down three fingers to cycle through web elements, and flick right or left with three fingers to move by that web element.

2014-06-13 00:55:34

Oh, @Jack, That's awesome! Thanks for that! That shows how helpful Talkback is not! LOL! OK. Now I have learned something new, and useful!

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2014-06-13 03:07:49

Hi.
i'm not an android user, I've never used oneof the phones at all.
But I've herd you can draw a triangle on the screen toturn on and off talkback?
Not sure how true this is, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

I'm gone for real :)

2014-06-13 13:10:52

Ah, its a square actually... And that only works in ice cream sandwitch.