2014-04-16 18:40:01

HI Aprone and all,
so, after a month or more of being left without a working computer as my old one broke and I had to search for an affordable and reasonable new one, then try to get used to Windows 8 to finally decide to downgrade the new machine back to Windows 7, etc, I was exhilarated to find out about the new Swamp update. Honestly, I think the Kaldobsky gamer accounts are in fact a good decision. They won't earn you anything significant in practice, I think the 2 dollars per month from each customer are barely going to be enough to maintain the server costs and everything, but if it at least helps to keep the number of hackers and cheaters to a minimum, then it's by all means a good thing. You should in fact have started charging even more for the accounts so that you would receive even more of a reward in return for your excelent, incredible work that can never be appreciated truly enough. And I'm saying that with the knowledge of everything you've previously stated on this forum regarding this matter - whether you should produce games just as a hobby and for free or sell them commercially. With the extra days remaining up until the end of the month during which the purchase was made being added to your total account time for free, the entire month not being counted against your time remaining in the account if you go that entire month without playing, etc, the whole thing is a more than fair deal for anyone sensible and mature. The others would never really appreciate the true effort behind the games anyway, so don't deserve anything better than the ordinary freebies they already have and had even before Swamp and your other games appeared on the scene.

So, I downloaded the game to my new machine, purchased a Kaldobsky gamer account and tried to run it. I got a "Runtime error 52: Bad file name or number" error. I installed Winkit, ran checkup.exe and then even windows64bit.bat manually etc but still keep getting the same error. The error appears every single time as soon as I start the game and there is no debuglog.txt or similar file. Any idea as to what could be wrong? Should I manually create files like progress.ini before trying to run the game or something like that? I know you had suggested things like this in the past to people in different situations but I can't remember the exact steps you were recommending for these people to try and under which circumstances they were valid.
Many thanks for a reply in advance, congratulations for finally taking the undoubtedly difficult but in the long run very beneficial decision, for you as well as the entire community, and keep up the fabulous work! :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2014-04-16 21:49:04

Lucas, I would normally say to try deleting your progress.ini file to solve that error.  From your post it seems like you might not even have that file though, so let me know.
Also thanks for the support man.  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-04-16 23:16:49

Hi,
nope, that file didn't get created for me yet. I am using the freshly unpacked game executable without any extra files such as progress.ini or debuglog.txt having the time to be created yet.
I remember there was a group of people, most of which, if not all, being from the Czech Republic, which had trouble running the game with a certain Sapi voice on the system. I was one of them a few months ago. You had to send a modified version of the game executable to us which had Sapi support completely disabled altogether so that we could run the game at all. However, I think I know which Sapi voice was causing the trouble, and I don't even have that particular voice installed on my current system at all. I think I did manage to get the game running on the old Windows 7 system eventually, even without the modified Sapiless version, but I can't remember what had to be done in order to achieve that any more. The only significant difference between the old and the new system should be that this new one is a 64-bit edition. I've also experienced the same behavior with Castaways on the old Windows 7 32-bit system. That game I didn't manage to get running though, unlike Swamp. Castaways and Swamp are the two of your games that I would love to play the most on this new system. So, basically I mean that I'm getting the exact same error even with a freshly unpacked Castaways folder on this new system too.
Hope you might get some more ideas to try. :-)
Thanks,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2014-04-18 07:41:35

Hello Lukas

When this occurs, you need to run Swamp as an administrator. That may seem like something that won't work, but I'm pretty sure it will. For some reason, I've seen this error happen multiple times, all on windows 7, and the cause being the User Account Control feature. It does not happen on windows 8, which may be due to the fact that microsoft finally fixed the way UAC works.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2014-04-19 19:27:04

Hi,
unfortunately, my UAC is turned off completely and I have tried running the game as administrator as well as normally as one of the very first things. still getting the same error all the time, no matter what. I was getting it even when I first tried to run the game without Winkit installed. Then I installed that thing, even allowing it to overwrite some of the files with older versions than what I actually had on the system already, registered the needed files and all that, but it still won't run. I even tried running it in XP SP3 compatibility mode but still no luck.
thanks,
Lukas

2014-04-19 19:38:26

Lukas, with that error happening before the debuglog.txt file is created, it means the program is not being given permission to write to the disk.  Are you running the game from your hard drive?  People have had this happen when trying to run the game from within the zip archive, and also from write protected flash drives.  I do seem to remember someone having this same sort of situation when their anti-virus was set to launch Swamp within a "quarantine" folder because it was not on a "trusted" list.  I'm not sure if any of these will match your current situation, but they may help.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-04-20 00:44:00

Hi,
thanks for the useful tips. Unfortunately, neither of them worked. I'm definitely running the game from my hard drive, having unpacked the full download archive that was up on your site around the time the 3.2B patch was released. I made sure my antivirus or firewall wasn't blocking the Swamp executable, and although the readonly attribute for the exe was "partially checked" for some strange reason, unchecking it completely didn't change anything either. Not sure what else I could try next...
Lukas

2014-04-20 16:59:11

Hi Lukas.
You can try to disable your antivirus while running Swamp to make sure that this is not your antivirus which causes this issue.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-04-20 17:06:00

Lukas I am compiling a new executable to have you test.  Are you on skype?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-04-21 00:32:36

SLJ, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (and I do know it's practically not secure at all, so please don't even start pointing that out or criticizing me for it, anyone :-), so I can see clearly that it has not labeled the game as a potential threat or anything. I don't think disabling it to be 100% sure is necessary, therefore, but I can still try anyways.

Aprone, sorry for the long delays, I have had hardly any time to spend at the computer at all these last few days so it takes me long to make any progress or try anything new, but I will definitely contact you when I see you on Skype. I have also tried to change my regional and language settings to US English, the formats of times, dates and numbers, the default language for programs that don't support unicode, or whatever that particular entry in the dialog is called, and all, although I know this has not been needed in the past, but still no luck.
I also made sure I was using the US English keyboard when trying to run the game, I always play Swamp with it anyway,although the game has also worked for me with the Czech keyboard before. No difference.

Thanks,
Lukas

2014-04-22 08:38:04

Okay. MSE is not the issue for sure.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-04-22 09:36:07

I sent Lukas a new executable today and it solved his problem.  It ended up being related to Sapi.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-04-22 13:48:03

Wow, that's interesting. Do you have any clue on how sapi can cause this issue? I think it might have something to do with language conflicts.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-04-22 16:37:53

Hi,
yeah, it seems strange to me as well. I would think it's something that Aprone uses differently than other developers or does not use when it should be used or something like that to take other languages into account. Apparently, the people who got the issue are just a small percentage of the entire Swamp community though, which is even more strange. Not sure if its just the Czech players or others are included but if it were just us, then Iwonder what's so specific about our Sapi. :-D
I can use Sapi perfectly finein other games that use it and other non-gaming software, just not in either of Aprone's games that uses it, especially Castaways and Temporal which I would love to play a lot. :-)

The more serious issue (sorry for bringing up yet another one) for me now is that I can't seem to be able to connect to the server. I choose multiplayer game in the main menu, enter my gamer password, choose create new character and enter his name and then wait. It says "connecting to master server" and after a while "The server appears to be off-line, or it cannot be contacted for some other reason". I tried it several times with the same results. The ending part of the debuglog.txt file that seems related to this says the following:
Attempting to connect to the server.
Identification step 1.
Identification step 2. 192.168.0.11
Identification convert.
Convert done.
Identification step 3. 184592576
Getting G E T
G E T succeeded.
So again, sorry for this question, but any idea as to what I might want to do? :-)
Thanks,
Lukas

2014-04-22 18:51:15

Lukas I was surprised to notice I was having the same issue!  I couldn't connect to the server and was getting the same message.  I went downstairs and the server is running just fine, with 40 players happily chattering away on it.  So then it hit me... I recompiled you a new executable to remove the Sapi code, but I forgot to set it to the main server.  The new file I gave you is trying to connect to the testing server.  Haha!

I'll send you a replacement.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2014-04-22 20:03:14

Lol, thanks for letting me know and I'll be looking forward to meeting you online so that I could finally be able to test the cool new features of the update and get back into the game again after many months. :-D
It's a funny issue but I'm happy it's not more difficult to fix than switching to the main server or caused by an error on my part. I was beginning to feel bad and silly for having to bug you with issues like this. :-)
Thanks once again,
Lukas

2014-04-23 08:21:18

Lol, nice bug Aprone. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.

2018-06-05 16:45:11

Hello,
I am getting this error as well, even after doing everything mensioned in this thread. would it be possible for me to get a different compiled version as well?

2018-06-06 01:17:18

Hi all, I'm getting same issue but I like to practice on the offline mode. The next zombie will be staring threw the barrel of my 45 lol

2018-06-08 03:22:38

I encountered this error a few days or a week or 2 ago, but when I got a new version of swamp and then got the patch, the error mysteriously fell threw a hole in cyberspace and was never scene again. Not that I want to see it again of course. smile

2018-06-09 21:56:35

When my computer is connected to the internet, it errors, otherwise it works great.

2018-06-10 05:11:06

The problem was I didn't have the latest patch.
Once I installed that, everything was great!