2014-04-15 18:31:36

hi.
here we will talk about the question: can a blind person drive a car?
i'm for example can ride a bycycle, so why not to drive a car?
no i'm not mean to do that because i'm only 15, but interesting me what do you think.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-15 19:09:45

Well yes and no.

It is quite possible for a blind  person to handle the sterring wheel, accellerator, break and all other controls without a problem, however there is no way of actually knowing what is around you or where your steering the thing, and sinse the potential exists for really nasty accidents with a car which could injure yourself or others and likely bust the car too, it would be an incredibly bad idea to try accept under very controlled conditions.  I have done this myself, driving with a driving instructor which was certainly an interesting experience.

In Britain at least there is a major visual element to driving tests, so you could potentially get a really massive fine or even a jail sentance if you tried driving on a public road even with a sighted guide.

so, yes a blind person can drive a car, but no probably not legally or safely.

Of course as Cae jones has said, we are likely to see self driving cars at some point in the future (at least when all the stupid legal hassles are worked out and the things go into actual production), though even there it would be an automated computer system doing the driving not a blind  driver.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-15 19:41:40

hi.
maybe, without something it will not be safelly, but i have some other things, which maybe can help to blind people to drive a car:
i don't know if you hared about that: in israel, amir amedi which working in a lab, invented a program which converting picture to sound. you walking with your Iphone, and looking around you with glasses which a camera is conected to it. you looking and you can heare beeps, beeps and more beeps. this is the things which a sighted person seeing, but a blind person is hearing that.
i'm one of the first blind people which learning to use that.
and also when you hearing cullers, for each culler other sound. wight is a sound of people singing, green is a sound of an organ and etc. there are only 5 cullers in that program which you can see: wight, green, blue, yello and red.
the name of the program is: eye music.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-15 23:51:42

Hi camacheck.
Its an interesting concept.
Can a blind person drive a car, yes.
Can they safely do it now? nope.
Could they do it in the future? nope because they are blind and blind people can't drive cars or anything like that.
Its alegal at least in one state of the us I know of but forgot which indiana I think that states the blind can't drive a car because they are blind.
So even if it was possible to drive a car in the future because you are blind you wouldn't be able to anyway unless the laws were updated with new tech.
I don't know about trusting my life to a computer.
Being a tech and hacker, they can fail.
I have been traveling a lot and things can fail.
Firstly most of this is done via gps, cell nets or wifi or something like that.
Bandwidth is not a given for any network not even for the net.
In new zealand compaired to other reagons we do have quite slow net its getting better.
Servers can go down.
Gps satelites can be blocked by bad weather and you can go out of range, it could take some time to find a signal.
Mobile cell coverage depending if you go outside a major city could also die, yes there are places where the net and in fact cell phones either don't exist or are out of coverage.
The other stuff is radar and radio waves its part of the navigation systems and lasers.
As with any radio wireless etc, they can be jammed or simply be lost in other waves, there is the potentual for falier.
Then there is the fact that even if the issue was simple there wouldn't be a way for the user to fix it even if the interface was accessable to them, maybe we will have something robust enough but thats a lot of if going on there.
Even in normal cars there is a chance of falier, most of these are caught early but there have been cases where people have actually died or lost control of their vehicles due to their system crashing on them leaving them with no control at all.
They are not that commen but still happen from time to time.
A big possibility would to be using your android or iphone device, I stayed with a friend in australia that uses her i device for music playback through a stereo and for gps nav and it works well.
So I guess you could get your smart phone to drive a car.
However gps devices can be a bit inacurate to and sometimes can go all over the place to get you to where you want to go.
Oh and there is no stopping at interesting places either, the device goes where you tell it with no error at all that could potentually be boring if you wanted to be senic about yourself.
Machines can't do that binary only has 2 numbers after all.
states on and off no maybe.
I think the best way for the blind to drive a car is if the bind could be made not blind eventually.
Ofcause with the government in general supporting disability things jaws, etc there would be a push not to try that hard because of what would be lost in doing so.
Ofcause its always possible the blind could eventually drive, people in wheelchairs can drive, the deaf can also drive as long as they can see that is.
On the testing side, yeah that could be a problem.
Firstly the blind do not percieve colours the same as sighted do.
We know of words we may associate them to sertain things but probably only the ones we really need.
We can't see 3 green lights or lights on a box so we can't really handle colour the way the sighted do.
Shapes is another thing, unless we touch them on special graphics paper we can't right now do anything in real time.
All this excludes the 3d printing tech which may be the answer to all our issues of being blind in the first place.
I'm not saying never, if its wanted we the blind will probably be able to drive maybe in the far future.
Right now I don't see us doing it for obvious reasons.
The main one, the law will probably never change unless there is a push to.
we are blind, and the blind can't do what they want at least not driving maybe they will never drive.

2014-04-16 01:04:04

Kamochek, its possible for a blind person to drive a car, but as has been said it is a very risky business and is not strictly legal. I do know of one instance where a blind man drove a car across Europe with someone sitting in the passenger seat giving him directions, but even there it would be extremely risky. There are too many things could go wrong with that situation such as someone pulling in out in front of the blind driver and the blind driver not being able to react fast enough to prevent a collision.

There have also been a number of experimental cars in development in which a blind person could theoretically drive a car. One used haptic and vibration feedback to provide sensory information while driving, but I don't seriously feel that would be safe. Another experimental car used a computerized artificial intelligence to drive the car. Thus the blind person wouldn't really be driving the car. Only a passenger while the car drives itself. In either case no government has approved those cars for use yet and there would be serious legal issues should a blind person get into an accident with such a vehicle.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-04-16 05:07:17

hi.
with that program, you can not only look or heare beeps, but also read a standart books, read from the computer's screen and etc.
each letter having it's beeps, but i think currently it works only with the hebrew letters. i know all the 22 hebrew letters now with eye music.
and i think you can search it on the internet. type:
eye music. the program it self in english.
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 08:25:45

Hi kamochek,

Have you also worked with The vOICe sensory substitution software, wearing camera glasses?

Best regards,

Peter Meijer

Seeing with Sound - The vOICe
http://www.seeingwithsound.com

2014-04-16 08:56:14

Well regarding substitution technology I'm not sure myself, sinse most of those sorts of things I've seen were rather confusing and it was a case of picking out minimal information, sinse learning to read such a large  amount of informational input as sight as sound or even virbration was quite a task, however that doesn't mean something won't be developed in the future that would work, though whether it would work well enough for a person to drive a car safely with it waits to be seen.

Regarding the computer Ai driving a car, that I see as a lot more possible, heck I have recently been using the blind qsquare satnav ap myself and have been very pleased with the amount of new information I get with it., However it irritates me that while the technology of a self driving car exists at the moment, and only requires perfection and production, the main stumbling block in the way of producing that technology is to do with the law and insurance not the technology  itself.

It seems ridiculous that where thousands of blind people are stuck in their houses or forced to pay hundreds of pounds for inconvenient public transport the technology exists to give equal mobility access to what sighted people have, it is due to something as silly as worrying about who sues who if there was an accident.

then again what do you expect when we're living in a society where  parents had to fill in permission slips for their children to be allowed to make daisy chains at school, or where doctors and nurses spend %50 of their time filling in endless piles of forms and notes to make sure they cover their collective rears in case someone takes it into their head to complain.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-16 08:57:27

hi.
what is vOICe sensory substitution?i didn't hared about that.
and about the car, if i'm not mistaken and if i understood correctly, in 2010 in the tv news said that in america starting to work on flying cars?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 11:15:43

Hi,
I were at an event some time ago were blind people could drive cars on a air field with a sighted person in the passenger seat. The fun thing was that i didn't need to drive slowlycause i was there early and no one was there so i think.
So we raced  around the airfield and it was really funny.
They had multiple cars standing around there. I drove a BMW i think but i am not sure about that. But there was one car i really liked.
I don't no where they get that from but they had a dodge charger standing in their motor pool. It was fun driving that.
I think that blind people can't drive cars in the future, but when there is a locked of arriar like an airfield and sighted assistance there, you can have a fun time racing around.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2014-04-16 13:28:12

I actually did something similar Simber, though it was at a stop car race track with a driving instructor and there was just the one car to try. I didn't take note of the make of the car, but I did manage to get some speed out of the thing. As I said, it was a fun experience.

2014-04-16 16:35:19

Hi, I think if autopilot would drive the car, then there would be no fun at all. I at least would like to control the gass pedal... I never tried driving a car myself, just shifted gears.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-04-16 16:49:53 (edited by BryanP 2014-04-16 19:31:43)

A blind person driving a car in a deserted parking lot is one thing. I actually did that with my dad's truc once with him sitting inthe passenger's seat telling me where to turn. But on a populated street or highway is another matter and, quite frankly, I can't ever se it happening. I was extremely skeptical of the NFB's experimennts with haptic feedback (vibration in other words), since I couldn't see how it could be transmitted fast enough for the blind person to act and avoid mishaps. Even were I to turn out to be completely and utterly wrong about this I could see finances being a major stumbling block since the vast majority of blind folks in the US alone are either unemployed or underemployed. A car for the blind would be far more expensive than one for the sighted and it's hard enough to get Joke Rehab organizations to help pay for ordinary assistive tech, so I can imagine their reaction if I asked for help to get a blindy car. Then of course as Dark and Thomas pointed out and as I've said in other discussions of this issue there would be mountains of legal problems were a blind person ever to get into an accidennt while driving. The fault would most likely be placed on the blind driver's shoulders, regardless of who was actually at fault.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2014-04-16 18:43:05

Hi kamochek,

> what is vOICe sensory substitution?i didn't hared about that.

The vOICe sensory substitution technology is what much of the research by Amir Amedi's group is based on. It is somewhat similar to the EyeMusic app that you referred to, also conveying images through sound in a scanning fashion with pitch for height, but it favors resolution over color. The reason is that color-blind people get around (and drive cars) without problems - so color is nice to have, but considered less important when having to make trade-offs with effective visual resolution through sound.

You can download The vOICe Learning Edition software for Microsoft Windows from the web page

http://www.seeingwithsound.com/winvoice.htm

It works with most USB webcams, and on eBay you can for just $60 buy wide-angle USB camera glasses that work with this software, as described on the web page

http://www.seeingwithsound.com/camera_glasses.htm

There is also a version for Android devices that has recently passed the milestone of a quarter million installs from Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … OICe.vOICe
Apart from Android phones and tablets, The vOICe for Android can also run on Google Glass.

Best regards,

Peter Meijer

2014-04-16 19:19:54

@Burak, the point of a self driving car would be to get around by driving and have the same opportunities for mobility and travel that sighted people have with their cars, not for the fun experience.

If you just want to try driving a car you can already try that as many of us have in some safe area with sighted assistance, however that won't really help you get anywhere sinse there isn't going to be any way you'd be safe doing that on a public highway.

@Seeing with sound, If I had a camera i'd be interested to try your software, any plans for an ios version? it sounds interesting and although I am not certain whether informational overload or too steep a learning curve would be a problem, I'd be interested to see what's being done.

the only really useful sense modification device I ever owned was an ultracane, a cane that immitted   ultrasound from a hand control unit where the handle was and had two vibrating buttons. This was handy sinse it could tell you about say objects at head highht as well as objects outside the distance of the cane, but the informational content was fairly minimal, just a increasing rate of vibration on the buttons for closeness of an object, meaning it didn't take any extra work to use. This was also why it was built onto a cane, sinse most blind people carry canes anyway.

Sadly the company went bust which was a bit disappointing, but certainly that is the best sensory modification I've seen albeit the technology there is about 10 years old and not up to some of the scanning and imaging tech we have now which could likely do a better job of detection provided interpreting the information was possible.

Whether you could get a sensory modification device  accurate enough to drive a car on a public street I'm not sure, and as Bryan said whether people would trust you with one is another question as well.

Personally I still see self driving cars as a future possibility provided some idiot gets around the legal issue.

Another advantage of self driving cars is that they would be for everyone essentally. After all imagine how useful they would be for long distance truck drivers or families on long car trips quite aside from blind people. If the  technology of the self driving car was good enough for sighted people to use in situations when they would not wish to drive, About the only blind modification such a car would need would be an accessible interface, though likely of course this would add  another couple of zeroes to the price sinse even when something isn't expensive to produce you can bet that if it's marketed  as accessible the price will be through the roof.

Then again on the other hand with the  proponderance of things like siri, speaking tom toms, and working satnavs on tablets, it might be that if a self driving car were developed and legally cleared to run, it'd be accessible anyway.

hay, we could all be like Michael Night from that old Night rider tv series big_smile.

Of course all this  still depends upon the legal shenanigans getting fixed, which is likely to be a long and ridiculous process.
@Burak, nobody would ever say

Then again on the other handd,

2014-04-16 19:36:02

I agree. I could see the self-driving cars as a possibility, but as far as I'm concerned that's as close as the blind are ever likely to come to driving. And as slowly as legal matters tend to move I have a strong feeling that by the time self-driving cars are made available to the public and the blind are allowed to own and operate them I'll be too old to care.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2014-04-16 19:42:17

Hi Dark,

> If I had a camera i'd be interested to try your software, any plans for an ios version?

I have no plans to develop for iOS, but there exists a similar third-party app for iOS named "Voice vision", available on iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-v … d580057898 A limitation of this app is that dark areas above or below bright areas are not as silent as they ought to be, due to spectral leakage, but otherwise it is OK. In fact I assisted its developer to get the sound parameters equal to those used by The vOICe.

> I am not certain whether informational overload or too steep a learning curve would be a problem

It should be a problem. <smile> Vision is inherently hard. For better or for worse, the goal of sensory substitution is to provide an equivalent of vision, with all its intricacies of visual perspective, variable object appearances, shading, textures and so on.

There is a training manual for The vOICe on the web page

http://www.seeingwithsound.com/manual/T … Manual.htm

Best regards,   

Peter

2014-04-16 20:18:18

hi.
here is an example of the eyeMusic.
a recording where i scaning a sqware.
i'll talk in hebrew there, but listen to the beeps.
tell me what do you think is better.
and what do you think: can someone use the eyeMusic and the VOIce?
not at the same time, but using the 2 things.
and also what do you think: can i tell the teacher which teaching me to use eyeMusic about the VOIce program and show it to  her?
i've installed now this program, but also eyeMusic is installed on my computer.
here is a link to the example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107 … 875963.WMA
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 20:20:16

hi.
sorry for the double posting:
but i mean by that question that if i can tell and show the VOIce program to the teacher, or just keep it for myself, to not get her disapointed?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 21:19:41

Hi kamochek,

Thank you for your EyeMusic recording.

> and what do you think: can someone use the eyeMusic and the VOIce?

Yes, the mappings are similar enough: left-to-right scanning with pitch for height and loudness for brightness. The main difference is that The vOICe deliberately uses pure tones instead of musical tones.

You can listen to a YouTube clip where The vOICe is used in grasping bright DUPLO bricks from a dark table top, at the URL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuosPzluCRg

Here I was wearing the camera glasses that I mentioned.

> can i tell the teacher which teaching me to use eyeMusic about the VOIce program and show it to  her?

Perhaps she already knows about The vOICe but had some reason not to tell you about it. I can only guess. The vOICe is globally the most used software of its kind. Maybe just play with both programs for a while to make up your own mind about it. I am always interested in what blind users prefer.

Best regards,   

Peter

2014-04-16 21:28:05

hi peter.
did you installed the VOICe on your computer?
if yes, i'll maybe will upload to you the eyeMusic setup.
maybe you want to try it with your glasses?
if yes, try, and tell me what you prefer to use.
i think that it is ok using 2 programs and not one, so i'm not prefer something for something other.
if i'll use the VOICe program, i will not leave the eyeMusic.
so, if you want to download and try it, you welcome.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10775118/Install.msi
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 21:29:43

hi.
sorry, here is the link again:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107 … nstall.msi
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 21:33:13

Hi kamochek,

> did you installed the VOICe on your computer?

Yes, a PC running Windows 8.1. Your dropbox link gives a 404 error (file not found)?

Thanks,

Peter

2014-04-16 21:45:15

hi.
strange, i think i uploaded it well.
but maybe try download it soon, maybe it still uploading.
and question: did you hared of amir amedi's research and of eyeMusic before i said about it?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-16 21:46:45

hi.
sorry for the doubble posting, i've checked the link now, and now you can download it.
kamochek.

kamochek.