2014-04-12 21:51:28

As most people will probably know by now,  likely my main passion in life (even more than computer  games or even Doctor who), is singing! Last christmas my parents booked me an appointment to go to a professional recording  studio and get some recordings of yours truly singing with backing tracks. We only had two hours, but the chap really knew what he was doing and had some pretty awsome equipment.

Recording was fun, literally sitting in a sound proof booth with headphones and a mike, and actually a lot harder work than I would've  expected sinse I rather expected it to be easier than  singing in front of an audience, but found the opposite.

I did this  partly for the experience of professionally recording my singing, and partly to have a decent recording of my voice to show people.

As a side  effect of course, I can also share it with everyone hear so people will know what my singing voice is like. It's particularly note worthy sinse one of the three  tracks I recorded was indeed music of the night from phantom which I use for my sig, the other two were Anthem from the musical chess (a song about how lovely russia is), and  Oh  Del mio   Dolce ardor by Gluk, a peace of early opera in Italian about how lovely Helen  of troi is :d.

Anyway if people fancied hearing my various squarkings, I've banged  the Mp3 versions up on  sendspace to torment everybody big_smile.

Download them here

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-13 19:33:06

Wow, all I have to say is that you, sir, are incredibly talented. Bravo!

Stevie-3

2014-04-13 19:52:34

Wow!  Great job Dark!
I'm glad you shared these.
I thought they sounded really good.
O Delmio seemed to have some random bits of static now and then.
Despite that, it was my favorite, followed by Music Of The Night.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2014-04-13 20:52:25

Dark, excellent job. Even though that sort of music isn't my cup of tea, so to speak, I did think you did a good job on the music.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-04-14 10:47:24

Hi.

Glad people like, as I said it was harder work than I expected. I was going to sing Una fortiva lagrima, instead of O Del mio, but changed my  mind because Una fortiva is sort of a marathon and takes a lot of work to sing. I'm glad I did sinse recording was harder than I expected.

I'm pleased they came out okay and I can't hear too many mistakes (usually i  detest hearing recordings of my singing, these I mearly dislike).

Regarding static in the Gluk, I'm not sure. That one was a pest due to the pauses being fairly precise, and I didn't get to do my usual canzona aka vocal flourishing showing off, but also the chap dealt with that one fairly quickly and was rather run off his feet generally, indeed he said if he wanted to record the three tracks truly! properly he'd spend a day tinkering with each but there just wasn't the time. actually I felt rather sorry for him, he was using a highly professional setup with 60000 quid's worth of equipment but due to an amazon promotion was being paid £8.50 fper hour, sinse the offer was half price and then Amazon were taking half of that as well, which is less than my cleaner.

I will certainly go back to him and have a go at recording more stuff, indeed I might try Una Fortiva next time.

@Tom, While I have soung a huge variety of stuff from Crooners to gospel and  barber's shop to grand Opera and orotorio, I won't deny I'm a classical singer first sinse one of my major interests is light Opera things like Gilbert and sullivan, though doing some jaz or blues might be an interesting experience to try at some point.

Eventually I'd like to do the sort of thing Alphie Boe does, who is a classical tenor, but can go from Elvis to musicals to grand opera. That's a lot more fun and less snooty than most opera singers, particularly sinse my own musical tastes range across a lot of different genres, indeed it was Alfie boe who said there are only two sorts of music good and bad big_smile.

I also have some other weerder ideas but we'll see about those big_smile.

However, for the moment my immediate plan is to recover both from the recording and the auditions for my anual music school that were also last week, so today my principle plan is to watch a lot of Startrek, hear this month's Dr. who audio drama, scoff pizza and maybe try out time of conflict 2.0 if I'm feeling especially energetic big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-14 18:28:52

Hi Dark,
Wow, these are quite good.  Myself I'm with Thomas – I personally don't really like this kind of music.  That said, it seems to me as though you are quite talented.
Cheers.

2014-04-15 07:27:33

Well glad you liked anyway.

2014-07-02 17:08:18

Well I'm bringing back this thread because I've been back to the recording man and reccorded two more  songs, it wasn't easy again but the results aren't  too bad so if people want to hear me sing well here are the recordings.

this time the two I've recorded are Master of the house, a wonderfully commic song from the musical Les miserables,  sung by the very slimy inn keeper about all the ways he exotrs money from his customers, and Caro Mio Ben, a very beautiful aria in Italian which literally means "I love you so much my darling when your away you make me feel ill!" big_smile.

You can Download them here

2014-07-03 20:16:23

Mi piace!
It is very difficult, in my opinion, to sing classical music with a backing track, but you did great!
I like more of the Bryn terfel or Jonas Kaufmann sound, but you totally sound like a professional classical cross-over singer!

2014-07-04 01:14:53

Thanks Frastlin, i'm glad you like.  I'd love my own pianist, but until i get one I have to cope with backing tracks. It's not ideal, and there are things i just can't do, but it's better than not doing it  at all.
Light    oppereta is what I'd like to do most, but failing that  crossover is what I see myself doing if I ever get the professional thing sorted out. I certainly wouldn't sound like brin  Turfle, sinse I'm a tenor not a baritone and if anything my voice is going to get higher! big_smile.

2014-07-04 03:01:00

Wel done Dark.  I admit I'm exceptionally picky with music and there are things I probably would have done differently as far as production goes, but your talent is apparent none the less.  The charismatic and stylish decoration  in Master Of The House brought a smile to my face and showcased your abilities very well at the same time.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-07-04 10:59:09

I wanted to do something fun, sinse I enjoy comedy songs as well as serious ones, which is why I picked master of the house sinse it's  so wonderfully vile!

2014-07-05 05:41:15

well. downloading your songs dark. well, I will listen to it.

2014-07-05 05:55:50

wow!! good vocal and orchestra music.

2014-07-05 07:24:19

Well the vocals were mine, the orchestra off a backing cd so I can't take creddits for them :d.

Glad you liked.

2014-07-06 05:30:16

ooo

2014-07-06 05:32:01

actually. I'm wondering. where are you from dark...

2014-07-06 11:54:10

Isn't it obvious from my singing and accent?

Durham, county durham, north england, the united kingdom, Britain, europe, the northern quadrent of the western hemisphere, planet earth, third world orbiting one astronomical unit from the star sol, far end of the northwestern spiral arm of the milky way galaxy, the universe expressed in 3 dimentions plus the 4th of time.

2014-07-07 18:04:23

sorry but so long as it is a sendspace link I am not grabbing it.. heh wink
na jsut kidding, going to download it now

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2014-07-11 11:13:48

Wow, you have a nice tallanted Dark! keep up the good work!

2014-07-11 12:38:03

Glad people like.

Sorry Ogom, but sendspace I find the most reliable service, and I want to keep these up semi perminantly. Downloading shouldn't be a problem, just click on the "submit" button or on "click here to start download"

2014-09-13 15:14:34

Wow!   I am totally speechless and in tears!  You have a wonderful voice.  Do you have other recordings?  I'm going to listen to them again, then, I'm going to show them to my daughter.  She is into theater and music, and we both appreciate wonderful voices.

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.

2014-09-13 16:57:34

Thanks Morecoffee, unfortunately that is it for recordings so far, I might go back to the studio man and do more later, though to be honest I don't know what I'm going to do singing wise sinse the idea was for me to go to opera school this year but the opera school gave a blatant excuse that I am %90 sure was disability related,l ---- the scum!

2014-09-13 20:31:17

Well,...it is truly their loss.  Your voice is amazing!  I've never understood the excuses we as blind individuals get in the working or educational world, but at 40, I'm still getting them.  I wish you much luck in your endeavors, and don't give up on your music!  Blessings to you.  Personally, I look forward to hearing more of your music.  Beautiful,....Simply beautiful!

There is way too much blood in my caffine system!  I require coffee in great amounts for total thought processes.