2014-04-03 00:09:06 (edited by aaron 2014-04-03 00:19:52)

Hi,
That's post 21, and that's fastfinge talking about fanfiction, not official material, so no, that's not official stuff at all. The actual show is much more family friendly, and also you can pick from fanfics that don't have that sort of stuff. I should warn you though that some of the fanfiction can still be quite serious in tone, more so than the show itself, so beware.
@dark: see the link in post 20 that I posted to, which will let you hear a sample of incidental music. YOu'll hear voices as it's a rip, but it still gives you the chance to hear some of it. Check out that channel for more music.

2014-04-03 00:50:28

@garrett: No, it was a fanfic. This one, to be exact:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/54501/the-eternal-song
Though it's canon in my personal universe.

2014-04-03 00:59:56

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. This is what I know about audio descripted spongebob. I know exactly where it is. However, they are not downloadable, they're in dvd form. That's why I asked for somewhere that didn't have  just dvds.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2014-04-03 09:35:26

Well Fastfinge, remember that most doctor who novels and novel series were written in that massive vaccume between 1989 and 2005, indeed the only reason we got an eighth doctor at all was because of the telemovie in 1996 and the less said about that the better. The bbc didn't really give  two hoots about Dr. Who at that point, and only started to in the early 2000's, which is why writers were basically given a blank license to do what they wanted.  And giving a blank license to someone with as much obsession with metafiction and randomness as the likes of paul cornel is not a good idea.

This is why I personally like to start with the official material,  whether in Doctor who, startrek or whatever else (and I pretty much considder big finish  official now), and judge novels etc according to that. Then again I'm actually at the point of  considdering everything ever steven mophat took over Doctor who to never happen big_smile.

Regarding mlp, as I said I'd like to see the thing properly first  before making up my mind on it much less going through fanfics.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-03 09:51:08

In fact, there are even more films described in English than in other languages I suppose.
As far as I know, we in Germany only have around five or 600 movies discribed, and they are not downloadable in mp3-format, so we need to buy the whole movie with all the extra material, depending on where you buy it for example in a special online shop for audiodescribed movies the DVD will be optimized so the menu has audio feedback which can be enabled very simply by pressing enter at the beginning. Then the movie is shipped with a lot of paper material, actually not in braille, and as a bonus, you get some magazines for VIs in DAISY format. Everything for just 26€ or so. In a normal store, I get the movie undescribed for just 8€.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-04-03 10:18:51 (edited by aaron 2014-04-03 10:19:29)

Hi,
@paddy: that's interesting that you can get dvds specifically designed with audio description in mind.
Here in the UK, we have audio description built into most new dvds and blurays, but they have to be enabled in the setup menus. The RNIB are trying to find ways to have it turned on by default, but I don't know how far they will get. Their argument is that people can turn it off by looking at the screen, which is fare but at the same time that's really not enough. I say thatthough, and I'm not really sure how else to help, but I'm certain that it won't be enough.

2014-04-03 16:49:58

We do have AMI in canada:
http://www.ami.ca
They run AMI TV for described TV, and AMI Audio that's a cross between special interest programming and a reading service. They also provide described TV listings for all the other TV channels in Canada, so we generally get something like 54 hours of described programming a day.  Unfortunately, none of it can be downloaded. Though if you subscribe to Rogers Cable, the PVR app for the iPhone is accessible, so you can record whatever you want, and then use the app as a remote control to play back your recorded programs off of your PVR without sighted help.  I know someone used to stream AMI TV on the internet, but that went offline a while ago, and now the only stream online is AMI Audio. I've thought of using something like peercast to set up a stream, but I just don't have the time or bandwidth for something like that.

2014-04-04 09:40:02 (edited by paddy 2014-04-04 09:46:54)

Interesting. My also visually impaired English teacher told me that when he buys movies from the UK, they are already designed so the menus speak to you at the beginning.
In Germany, when you insert the DVD with a German description on it, a voice greets you and says something like: "This DVD provides an audio described version, which describes the film for blind and visually impaired people. It also provides audio feedback while navigating through the menus. If you wish to have both enabled, simply press the enter button on your DVD player's remote control." Basically it is a menu with two options, so sighted people just click the "disable" option. However, the number of movies with audio descriptions in Germany is still very poor, regarding the English community, but the Germans are working on it. Something which is really strange, is that blindmicemegamall provides loads of films, described from people who do it as a hobby, or they take it from the already predescribed version of the film (DVD) with no problems, while people in Germany complain about that a production of an audiodescribed version would cost 5000 Euros. What? Five-Thousand bucks to record lines and implement them into the DVD? Okay, I'm not in this kind of business, but even if it would cost a thousand of bucks, for instance in the USA or in the UK, it does not seem to be a problem to invest the money in such a thing. You can even download mp3s of those films, completely free! Okay, as far as I know, blindmicemegamall has a license for which they pay so we can enjoy listening to the movies for free and download them. But the English community of VIs is indeed bigger than the German, so I do think that's one of the reasons why they actually invest the money for such a great enjoyable thing. In a smaller community, it wouldn't be worth it, investing in such a project. As far as I know (Stand: 2011), there are about 2000 blindies and 500 thousand visually impaired people in Germany. And I can immagine how big the English community is, since English is one of the most spoken languages in the world!
So the reason, why my dad already tought me speaking English when I was 5 years old, is totally understandable to me.
He introduced me to audiogames when I was 8, and it is very difficult finding great audiogames in German. So he told me if I would like to play more challenging audiogames with more spoken content, not like in Lockpick or crazy darts for instance, I have to be more experienced in English.
I, for example, learned a lot of English while playing TimeAdventures! So thank you very much indeed! big_smile
But back to topic, I got myself IceAge 3 in 2011, and that's when I started watching English versions of films. We turned on German sub-titles and set the audio to the English audiodescriptive version.
Some people still ask me whether I could understand everything they're saying. For some people who are not really familiar with the English language, it's totally admirable. I allways tell them that I wouldn't watch or listen to it when I could not understand it. Where's the profit for me then? smile

Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-04-04 15:33:51

Hi,
Unfortunately not all the dvds in the UK do this. The only ones I remember having talking menus specifically were the Doctor Who dvds from the bbc.

2014-04-04 16:56:32

Most new DVDs in the U.s. do have the descriptions these days. It is starting to become mainstreem here, any dvd I've come across that was released in the last couple years have it. I think its been long overdue, there have been subtitles on dvds for the hard of hearing for years, so why not us too?

Stevie-3

2014-04-05 10:15:04

In Germany, most DVDs provide audio description either, but mostly in English, and if you don't know the menus you need a sighted person to set the audio to English Audiodescriptive.