2014-02-11 17:32:33

Hi @guelivi,

I'll still write you via the bbs mail but I"ll write for other's benefit.

Every day you get 500 minutes of time.  If you need more time, I can make that happen smile.  The time bank is there in case you run out of time in a day.  You can deposite into the bank every day, and as you use up time, you can withdraw it and your available time will increase.

2. email.  Your alias on the bbs will receive email from outside, eventually.  I don't have the mail server turned on however, but that's because I'm having to employ a mail relay since my Service provider blocks the port needed to send mail.  Mail forward will not be offered, but you can read your mail and message groups via the web.  Yo can also send messages that way.  Your mail address on the NER BBS is [email protected] where alias is your user alias.  For instance, I'm [email protected].

Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any other questions.

Noel

2014-02-11 21:15:23

@Zcline thanks for that, that is  what I wanted to know and well explains why I am having trouble with that particular screen since I thought that the multiples of colonists were ones you actually had on the planet.

Ironically I've been playing Core exiles all day (just found some great asteroid fiels for my advanced refiner), which could be thought of as at least a trade wars successor, so it'll be nice to give the original a go.

I'll try it again and see how I get on.

@Trenton, it'd be great to have eamon more available. I've had loads of fun with eamon deluxe, indeed only a brief glance  at the news letters and wiki will show my input, and I think it's a real shame when this sort of work and access is going into such a great series of textual  rpgs that microsoft have decided to bugger things up in the way they have meaning people can't play them, indeed it's quite ironic that back when  I first discovered Eamon deluxe in 2008 and it took a little wangling to get around some inconveniences such as the 40 character display, annoying screen refresh and highlighted character editer that most people could run the thing, but now that Frank is back and seriously working on  Eamon deluxe including some really awsome access  fixes a lot of people have moved onto the  more modern, crappier windows versions that can't run the game natively.

this is why a fix to play on modern windows such as running on telnet would be great, especially since Eamon deluxe is  still being worked on both in terms of ports of the classic original games and in terms of new ones being written for the system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-02-11 21:56:21

@Trenton and @dark Great to have you guys playing! the more we have playing, the better!

About Eamon, I'll give Frank an email and see if we can work something out even if I can help him port to something like doorway which runs bs style doors by username.  I think I would want to make sure that people really knew that if I did this, that their characters would *not* necessarily be safe.  I do know that it's possible to default to vi mode, and that I can make happen upon launch.  This is all definitely doable, and if you guys don't care about the character aspect, I have no problem attempting to make it happen.  For the purpose of this bbs, I had to run Windows 7 32, because of the limitation fo Windows.  I'd love for others to have the ability to log on.  Afte work, I'll have a look at implementing access.  When it's done, I'll let everyone know, and you'll all have to determine if it's a workable solution.  Perhaps this is what we need to catalyze some more support and also get people more interested in figuring out how to circumvent the ansi graphics.  Here's something, how would you all like playing eamon on your iphones?  This will be possible with the correct emulator if in fact I can get the video to be intercepted to comm.  I'll update when I have something. Eamon has been downloaded.

Ner

2014-02-11 22:49:36

Hi everyone. I am just asking you 1 question. I didn't know, if... Well, can you run this on windows 7 21 bit? And can you really juust type something into the command prompt? And don't you nead anything else, like internet, or an actual modem? I don't know. Please, can someone answer me these?
Thank you.

2014-02-12 01:08:49

@zseli,  I don't know about windows 7, but   last I checked there wasn't a 21 bit version of windows 7, just 32 and 64, as Ner said it'll run on 32 bit windows, I don't know about 64.

As to what you need, well you need the internet in the sense of an  actual internet connection, but you don't need a web browser such as internet explorer or firefox, in that way it is very much like a mud, though you need either telnet or  a terminal  to connect rather than a mud client.

I don't know about the emulators, but I've had no problem with telnet, I just type "telnet" into the run box, hit o to connect then when I'm asked what to  connect to write nerbbs.com, that is all.

@Ner, Eamon deluxe would be a great fix. There is a program called I basic on the Iphone that includes some classic eamon adventures, but as far as I could gather the text isn't readable with vo, much like running the  original Apple ii eamon on windows with an Apple Ii emulator.

Eamon deluxe has also been heavily modified and expanded, and every adventure that gets ported has recieved several tweaks.

The biggest improvement in eamon Deluxe however are the access fixes.

though Eamon was a textual gaming system, the text version of the original main hall by Donald brown has very few functions available by default, you can't for example raise your characters stats or train their weapon abilities with gold.

For this reason original  Eamon authors wrote some extra versions of the main hall program wich most people used, however those extra halls were actually graphical not text. The first version a textual main hall appeared in Eamon with all the same features as the graphical  one was actually in Eamon deluxe in january for 2012.

Frank has also been great about some other access  fixes, often miner things like describing ascii art or the like, and has even modified some of the punctuation so that it speaks correctly (he downloaded a copy of Nvda and  tested it out).

So,  the more access people can have to Eamon deluxe the better. Ironically Frank contacted me the other day to say hi, so I told him about this topic, but he is a busy fellow.
An Iphone version would be great, I suspect an  Iphone version would need some rather basic  tweaking just to get the commands to work since even though Eamon has a great word   recognition routine so that a command like "open iron door" can be abbreviated to "op ir"  it could still be a little   urksome having to constantly type those sorts of things in with the on screen  keyboard and vo, and not everyone has an external keyboard with them (indeed though I own a bluetooth external keyboard it's a bit large to fit in my shoulder bag so I don't carry it around with me).

Well as to playig games, the good news is usurper seems to be going better now,  mostly because I've got enough gold and armor to run with, I've also seen some of the funnier options in the game.

The  inventory was giving me a little trouble, since it doesn't display  what items you have or are using by default and you need to enter a question mark, but it's fixed now. One thing I have been wondering in  usurper is how to reply to a tell once you get one? or do you have to hit ctrl t and enter the other player's name, particularly since all the npcs there keep asking me random stuff or giving random comments. Btw, is there a way to know who is an npc and who isn't? I don't want to go telling other human players I want to  kiss them or kick their rears or something else big_smile.

I think I need to sit down and read the trade wars  documentation, indeed if you have a link to the manual so I could read it through that would help (I know it's available in the game but it'd be nice to read through straight off, indeed if it were possible having the instruction manuals to games available in the  nerbbs wiki might be   handy, though I know the tradewars documentation and lots of other resources available on . The main tradewars.com site

There is a dummy's guide which looks pretty  useful which I'll need to read through.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-02-12 01:27:54

Interesting!

The Trade Wars guide, is managed by the .exe file inside the archive.

You can open the readme.1st file with notepad, or just change it to .txt.

2014-02-12 01:33:42

Actually Trenton, I feel a bit of a fool, since on the same page where the guide is downloaded is a link to read the hole thing online as a nice html document even with decent header navigation, hence why I edited that bit out of my post big_smile.

2014-02-12 04:26:04

I've been playing almost all day. I like it. The limitted amount of moves for red dragon and userper kind of sucks, but, hey. Does anybody know where I can purchase life revives in userper?
also: why do so many people log on and say that they hate me and call names? are these audiogames.net members, or outside people?
Not entirely sure, lol.

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-02-12 05:42:56

Hi,

The "people," telling you random messages like that aren't players at all, but NPCs. The game is designed to give them almost as much freedom to do things as players have, and it's kind of fun even when you're the only real human around. smile Don't take them too seriously, they're being silly.
As for "life revives," if you mean resurrections, you only get three of them per day. If you meant something else, I don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid.
Hope this helps,
Zack.

2014-02-12 06:21:07

Ah, that helps:D also makes it alot less confusing.
thank you.
So, when does the game reset so I can play it again?

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2014-02-12 10:30:56

Hi,
@ner thanks for all of that. I noticed I do get 500 minutes per day big_smile. I'm not sure on how to withdraw from the bank, all I can do is exchange credits for minutes. I had like 10m when I started to I exchanged all of them and I have 600 minutes banked but I'm not sure on how to withdraw them, there doesn't seem to even be a menu there. By th way, I noticed I only have 50 logons per day. I normally keep logging on and off, and although I don't think I'll ever use up 50, I do think some of these limits, like the time, the logons and all those should be removed. If this'll all be free we shouldn't have limitted minutes. OK, maybe this is still active because you made it that way because of server costs or something, but if you didn't, it really makes no sense to keep it there. Probably since people used dial-up connections for this it was hard as hell to keep the server active and all of this was made, but now, with high-speed broadband connections and such it really doesn't make sense to keep that active unless it's still there for a reason nowadays. It makes me feel limited to have X minutes to play games, chat and have fun, even though I have 5 hours it still makes me feel weird. Well that might just be me big_smile.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2014-02-12 12:22:11

@guilevi when I exchanged credits for minutes in the bank I seemed to just get a time boost anyway, I was down to about 200 minutes but when I exchanged credits it went up to 500 again.

I'm guessing that 500 is the max amount of time that displays on the board, but if you finish that, you move on to your bank time, that would make sense, though practically since 500   minutes is close to  8 hours, so long as you bank credits occasionally your not likely to run out any time soon.

What I am wondering with usurper is if there is a way to change race and class. When i began I assumed it had a similar  remort option to legend of the  green dragon (or red come to that), ie, once you've finished as one race/class combo you can restart as another, though 90 levels is a bit more than logd/lord's 15 so will take much more time.

Or is it that you need to have children and then play as one of them?

I also  suspect that 30 dayly fights is max settings,  in the game.

Btw, I googled usurper just for interests sake and I was very surprised to find out just how recent the last version is,  middle of 2013. There was me thinking all of these bbs games were old wrellicks from way back when, when they're actually still very much in  development, that is cool and presents another interesting possibility for running dos titles.

Actually since the developer of usurper  according to http://www.usurper.info/ has done some pretty extensive server work for running games on a  bbs, it might be worth asking him  if he  has any thoughts for how to run dos games or Eamon deluxe without risking  other users monkeying with people's characters.

It would be pretty awsome to see games like pile driver, fallthru, braminar, drone and  maybe even world of legends  all available online to play so easily.

2014-02-12 13:23:54

@dark it really would. Saves you from having to download stuff and it weighs a lot less and uses up less resources, since all it has to do is to receive and send data. I still want to finish world of legends, I got sort of stuck at one point.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2014-02-12 18:29:11

@Mord-Sith, you should be able to play every day starting at midnight or so Eastern US time, though it might not be quite so regular. The first time someone logs on in a new day, daily maintenance runs, the NPCs do a lot of their stuff, and so on.

2014-02-12 19:14:58

Hey guys,

I know that there are other questions and don't have too much time to answer them at the moment, I promise I'll get to them.

I've increased the amount of time available in level 50, the normal user amount from 400 to 800. I also increased time allowed per call to 400 minutes, and login amounts to 100 per day.  If you need more tme, the timeyou bank will be used.  I thought you had to withdraw it but apparently not.  Those changes will take place in the normal maintenance times, generally 0000 est, 05:00 utc, so if you by some amazing thing need more time today, let me know.  More games coming online shortly, especially since the snow should allow me to work on installing stuff more.

Noel (NER)

2014-02-12 22:23:31

I'll look forward to see what's next.

2014-02-12 23:00:26

Sorry, i did not mean 21 i ment 32 bit. thanks though

2014-02-13 00:12:26

@Szelli, well 32 bit should run the thing fine without trouble. As I said  on xp I just  hit r for run in the start menue, type telnet that is t e l n e t, then a terminal window appears, ie a screen  window like the old dos  console where you must type on a command line.

I then it o and telnet asks what I want to connect to, so I type  nerbbs.com, ie n e r b b s dot c o m.

After that it was just a matter of choosing an account name and password then  everything was fine..

hth, though if anything works differently on windows 7 I'm sure someone  here will be able to give more specific advice.

Well usurper is going better. I'm now level 9 and have actually used up all my fights today which is pretty awsome. and if levels go this quickly then it is possible you do level the same way logd does.

The only thing that i'm now having trouble with is the   equip system. I can go into the armor and weapons shop and ask for the best, for my gold, but  while I can still buy a weapon with another equipped, if I try that with armor the  armorer says "you are already fully equipped"

this would be fine if there was an option to quickly remove all armor, but the removal process seems pretty slow, indeed the inventory management is a little whacky since i hit I in the status screen, I then have to hit s for stop using, then however instead of giving me a list of what I'm using the game  continually tells me to press question mark for list, even if I know the number of the item I want to  stop wearing and type it I still have to press the question mark.

So removing armor bit by bit is a pest.  I wonder if there is a  option that I am missing?

I also found a map to the ice caves,  which instructed me to press I in the dungeon but then I get a message telling me the author didn't implement that area. I presume the version of usurper we have running is the latest build? ie, the one from  last year.

Lastly, if people don't mind another question, how do the quests and quest masters work, I don't seem to be getting anything out of those.

I will say Usurper actually seems a bit more complex than Logd and I'll play it for a bit just to see where things go.

2014-02-13 04:24:36

I have some explanations about the limited time/logins thing. As you suspected, that is a holdover from the old time BBS days. And in those days, if you were very lucky, you had a BBS you could call that had multiple phone lines. But most of them just had one phone line. That meant that there could be exactly one person on the system at a time, not counting the sysop who might be sitting at the physical computer running the board. Naturally, time limits were put in place so one user couldn't hog up the system all day/night long and keep everyone else from connecting. Remember, if you're on any of these systems, anyone else who calls in is going to be frustrated to no end, getting busy signal after busy signal after busy signal.

2014-02-13 12:06:07

Wow, I knew bbs used to have a limited user count due to the use of phone lines, but I didn't think it was as low as  that, it makes me wonder how games like trade wars or usurper ever got off the ground.

2014-02-13 13:50:19

Hi,

I just started trying to log into this nerbbs.com thing, and I keep getting a connection timed out error.
I downloaded Tera Term, and I fill in nerbbs.com, telnet port 23.. That's really the only instructions that were given. There's some other buttons there like a history check box that is there, but other than that I have followed all the instructions. Am I missing something?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2014-02-13 16:21:47

Well, I just logged in here, so the BBS is definitely running. Maybe you could try again? Is it possible something on your end is blocking port 23? That seems kind of strange, but it's all that I can think of.

2014-02-13 20:38:00

Hi. Dark, when i type telnet, it just gives me an error. It doesn't find, telnet. Can someone tell me what's wrong?

2014-02-13 23:23:18 (edited by queenslight 2014-02-13 23:25:33)

If using windows 7 or later, or that, "other" one, type the first few laters of the word, "features," then arrow down to ya hear, "turn Windows Features On Or Off."
Once ya press enter, wait for a moment til a tree pops up. Press, "T," til ya hear, "Telnet Client," then press space to put a mark in the box. Tab to, "Ok," and hit space or enter on it.
Should be good to go! Those steps only have to be done once.

Side Note: You can press Windows-R, simply type:
"telnet nerbbs.com"
[without the quotes,] then press enter, to go straight to the BBS!

2014-02-14 08:45:42

I died doing a quest in Userper and for some reason, I can't revive. I thought I had at least 3 revives a day.