2014-02-09 00:44:39

to train, go to the market place, you can train there.
I've turned punctuation down to none, but still get loads of symbols at times.  its manageable though

2014-02-09 06:22:27

well, I just learned something on userper.  that is, being good does not always pay.  In this case, got destroyed by half a dozen orcs. 
any ideas on how to change the weapon?  I got the armor sorted out, but lost around 20k gold selling the wrong weapon as it'd only let me put stuff in my offhand.
also, I can't see an option to use skills anywhere.
Love this though.  just gotta wait till next game day.

2014-02-09 09:17:51

hi, please. give. me. a. tellnet. client. with. an. output. I. can. cycle. to. and. tell. me. a. way. to. get. rid. of. the. symboles.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-02-09 16:11:19

I find that using NVDA at least, its easy enough to use the numpad or nvda cursor that an output window isn't really necessary.
just something you gotta get used to I guess.

2014-02-09 16:49:48

Ner,
Would it be possible to get Majormud, Rose, or Telearena?

2014-02-09 17:13:55

I do the same  thing with Supernova, using the dolphin curser, indeed for me that is something I've been doing in  games ever since I first discovered  if, and thus have done it in all sorts of things from Eamon deluxe to fallthru, so it's pretty  automatic now.

The only time that tactic fails is with timed input,  which is why I use vipmud with sapi to play muds, but for turn based  games or games with a good long timer it's fine.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-02-09 17:52:44

Oh emon, how I'd love to play that.  I know I could go through virtual emulation, but I'm not sure if my computer can handle that with only 4g ram. xd
that's another topic though.
i'll log on in a bit and see if I can't get any further

2014-02-09 18:27:30

Eamon deluxe is awsome, it's just a shame microsoft buggered things up  in post xp windows.

Anyway, I'm still not having  much  luck with usurper,  as I managed to get myself killed and lose all my money againn! I have at least bought and equipped some armor and daggers but that doesn't seem to hep too much and I'm going through potions like  lemonade just to win one fight. I also found the skill trainer but no way around either, so any  advise on the game would be appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-02-10 15:12:21

@narf Hello.  The time bank is a relic from bbs days of old.  Back then, since bbss had limited phone lines, system operators allowed people to bank time that they had left over so they could use time they had banked in case they ran out of time.  Should you use your 500 minutes, banking can help you.  No one has done this as of yet, so it's there just because smile.

Ner

2014-02-10 15:19:46

@sara's social circle
Hi Sara,
I haven't figured out how to remove the space from that wiki article, but what you need to do is paste in the string without the space and with the brackets.  Also make sure to paste it in and then select that it is a regular expression.  If you are missing some info when you telnet, I would suggest trying either the windows telnet, o installing syncterm.  I'm having issues building an easy installer for syncterm, but it's coming.  Until then, read the steps in the wiki for installing syncterm.  Windows telnet seems t work ok with NVDA actually, better than I expected though if you want to go that route.  Let me know if I can help more.

Ner

2014-02-10 15:28:10

@dark
Usurper is a challenging game.  What I would do is attack what you can as level 1, and bank what you get until you have enough money to upgrade your armor.  Post questions on twitter (I hope to have a mailing list soon for nerbbs) which should allow you to ask others who play, and play a lot.  Ixitilus has challenges much like Usurper.  To work up to a game that may be more eas until you get the hang, I would play Legend of the Red Dragon as it's easier.

I don't play the games much that I have installed, mostly because sysops are generally discouraged from playing so users don't worry about cheating sysops.  I do not cheat, but me playing a lot could cause user mistrust.

@stewie leveling up happens with your master. If you have enough exp, you can level up with him.  Once you're to level 2, you can go to the marketplace where you can train special skills based on your class.

2014-02-10 15:33:40

@rstrunk
I don't run majorbbs, so those large mud worlds  most likely won't work.  Best way to work it would be to run a second system which the bbs would connect to, but I'm not in a position to do that at the moment.

2014-02-10 15:41:04

@dark If people enjoy unatix, it can be registered. It's one which the authors are still around and taking registrations.  Let me know if you like it and I'll consider registering it.

2014-02-10 18:32:54

@Ner, well with those games since I cut my etth as it  were with  broswer games playing a hole bunch of Legend of the green dragon varients, which is the modern web browser based open source successor to Legend of the  red dragon, I'm avoiding that game for now, one reason I'd like to work Usurper out since it seems different from some of the others like anbrosia or exitus, I just feel I'm missing something with weapons and armor in the game since usualy in those sorts of games levelling is traight forward and I didn't have similar problems in either anbrosia or exitus.

Regarding Lunatix, yes, a registration would be good. If you let us know how much it is likely to cost perhaps we can  contribute some money twoards it, since I'd myself much rather play a full game with an ending, --- plus the %10 extra gold sounded fun.

For future games I remember Bladestorm mentioning one fantasy rpg called Arena of the ancients or something similar, perhaps you could track that down too.

Btw, there's no need to reply individually in each post to everyone. the usual on board  practice is just an at sign and the name,

eg 

@ner, this is me addressing you,
@Dan C, now I am talking to you dan. Etc.

There's nothing inherently wrong with replying individually, but anything that cuts down on extra on page clutter is a bonus.

2014-02-10 23:49:34

Hi Dark and all,

Usurper is certainly a bit challenging at first. smile Hopefully I can help with some general advice however.
Gold from kills and leveling up is obviously very valuable. You want to deposit it in the bank as soon as possible, if only because it will earn interest. That being said, if you ever find yourself completely out of money you can opt to quit at the beggar's wall, which might get you some extra cash when nightly maintenance runs.
Regarding weapons and armor, take advantage of the option to have the shopkeeper help you with them both. Armor in particular requires multiple items to be effective, but if you wear the best items you can afford you might find yourself able to shrug off a lot of damage. Use the Quick Heal option in battles, and buy healing potions when you're offered the chance to do so.
Leveling and training in the martial arts are separate. You level by (v)isn't with your master from the main town, and train fancy moves in the marketplace. The latter are only used in a few instances, however, as far as I'm aware, so it's not as important to train them constantly. Speaking of levels, when you level up you'll get a massive influx of gold, which is very helpful indeed.

Now, if I may switch topics, surely I'm not the only one who's interested in Trade Wars around here? It's multiplayer Smugglers basically, and awfully lonely if you're the only player. Also, Baron Realms Elite is a fun strategy game worth investigating.

Hope this helps somewhat,
Zack.

2014-02-11 01:51:47

Thanks Zack, I did gather some of that but not lots, though from the sound of it I'm just experiencing the game as is.

Regarding   trade wars I'm extremely interested in trying the game but wanted to get the hang of the system first, so thought I'd start with something rp instead to get my feet wet as that is more like familiar ground to me.
Anything particular about barren lands elite? to me it looks looked pretty much the same as   most of that style of games that I've seen on  browsers, ie level up, get more stuff, all competition coming from external attacks, with the cheif interest in the game being the actions and relations to other players rather than an exploration of the world or confronting unexpected conflicts.

As I said, it didn't look a bad game, but I very much prefer that sort of thing when it's more  Pve than pvp, since generally I'm more interested in development, and changing stratogy to  accommodate the environment than playing politics or  grinding up to  interact with other players, ---- what can I say, I'm antisocial big_smile.

|If however I missunderstood the game, let me know, though I will say this is where ionax looked  interesting at lest from the brief glance at the game I got.

Edit: okay, trade wars looks like good fun but I believe I'll need to spend a little time with the game and it is a bit late tonight for me to embark on something since I don't want yet another point of being up allnight gaming.

Usurper however I'm afraid I'm still running  into trouble with. The good news is I  leveled up and bought a load of armor. The bad news is that I can't equip a new weapon since I'm already holding two  daggers and I can't work out how to drop one. I also wonder how to reply to tells since I tried ctrl r and it didn't work, I also tried typing the name and that didn't work either and since someone was offering to go exploring with me that might have been fun.

2014-02-11 04:49:53

@dark Sorry about the multiple messages. My issue was that I had several messages to respond to on different screens.  Trust me, it won't happen again lest I get defenestrated.

I can't speak on usurper as much though I'm about to abolish my non-playing for fear that there won't necessarily be enough players to make the games fun.  It's been way too long since I've played.  That being said, I can speak about baron realms elite.  Yes, it's pretty much a build and conquer game.  BRE's strength and its main stay really is the building and researching part of things, and most importantly to me that is, the interleague part of diplomacy.  Baron Realms Elite is a game that you can complete pretty quickly, usually in a standard game, 8 turns per day.  When you get to know the game, finishing a day can take maybe ten or fifteen minutes which is great for me being the busy guy I am smile.  We will soon be joining BRE leagues.  These leagues work by sending game packets to and from other BBS around the world.  This allows the player to form alliances, attack other planets, perform recon, and generally take over.  There's no world exploration, but one can explore other bbss around the world by getting to know the players.  It also takes time for packets to get exchanged, so the neat thing is that that element adds a bit of travel time to your actions off planet (bbs).  One other game you might like which I haven't added yet because I need to connect to another network is Clans.  Clans is a medieval game that allows you to build your character in a village.  It's very much based on inter-league play as well, but it allows you to travel to other villages.  You issue a travel command, then, the next day, you log on to the bbs that hosts the village you travel to.  This lets you get to know other systems because each system has a different personality, and different people smile.  What I'm noticing through this whole process of re-settin up this bulletin board is that though the BBS community is small, relatively, there are thousands of people who log on per day to bbss around the world who love t play games etc.

Lunatix's registration cost is $10 whih is practically nothing compared to some.  I was going to register it, but wasn't sure if people would like it, so I wanted to give it some time.  Since you're a fan, I'll see what I can do smile.  Logging on to the BBS is totally free, but anyone who enjoys games, traditionally in BBS lore, sends a few bucks to the system operator so that games can be registered.  This is *not* necessary or compulsory.

Hope this helps.

NER

2014-02-11 10:33:09

Well ner, I'd be happy to contribute some cash to get more games, and 10 usd isn't really too bad at all, plus lunatix is rather fun.  My thing with barren lands is I've tried games like that hosted on browsers fairly often from  reign to cyber nations to tribal wars and I've just never personally found the politics side of things interested me as muchIndeed up until playing Aprone's castaways I could never see the point of such games, however it was the need in castaways to keep changing stratogy, reassigning jobs according to what your doing and exploring the  environment and   conquering it's challenges that I found extremely appealing, but that's unfortunately not an aspect of   stratogy or resource management I've seen in any of the online games I've tried, and  unfortunately other than castaways there isn't really anything in that style of game accessible as yet, still if you upload clans I'll gladly give it a try, indeed I'll try pretty much anything you feel like sticking up, and don't worry about not playing yourself,  that seems a little unfair to me for all I can understand the logic behind it.

One question I have wondered, is that since telnet clients  can be used on   post xp  windows, would there be any way to   run any of the older dos games such as drone, braminar and fallthru, or perhaps even Eamon deluxe though I suspect that one could be more complicated, although I do know some of the classic original apple ii  eamon games were run on bbs in the past.

It would be a great way to make these playable on post xp windows without the need to muck about with virtual machines or other such  shenanigans since microsoft have messed up compatibility.

If there is some perfectly good technical reason why this isn't possible fair enough.

2014-02-11 13:25:09

I've just got to level 10 in Userper.   only 90 more to go! tongue
I do wish there were skills to use in fights, even so, its a lot of fun!
Thank god I'm remembering to use the bank.  I'm owning right now, but just wait for that one mob to come along and ruin everything...

2014-02-11 13:38:19

Yep, that is the way with logd style games, banking is everything.

well I've tried trade wars but I don't know if I've missed something since it seems I'm running into trouble with the planet  menue, as I'm not sure which number is what and which number actually means how many of a given resource are on the planet as opposed to various other things, since while I thought it had resources when I tried the take individually option I was told there weren't any of that resource.  I also found a star  port just next to the planet but I'm not exactly sure whether the prices there are good or not, do you need to just fly around and compare prices? or is there a way of finding out more directly that I'm missing.

2014-02-11 15:00:21

Hey @dark

First, about Eamon, I have thought about that.  The only thing and you'll have to tell me what you think here, is that you wouldn't necessarily be able to save your progress in games ... well, you could save your progress but you would be able to access other player's saved games (if I'm remembering correctly).  The way bs games work is that you play as you were sitting at my computer.  I think possibly, well I'd think actually probably I could get it to work and yes, I think it would be a good idea.  What do you think about the saved game issue?  I have a post XP system, but I can run these dos games through Synchronet's special dos executor, so it should be possible if it writes directly to the screen.  I also want to run the old 1970s star trek game which I'm pretty sure can be done.

I find the Lunatix authors email address and see if he answers before we do anything.

About Trade Wars, I can help you there.  Your planet should have iron ore, fuel, and organics if I remember correctly.  YOu have to first go from Terra (believe that's sector 1) to your planet to take colonists so that they can get the resources from your planet.  This is possible right off, but what I would do is go around the ports (note your home planet sector) and see if you can find a port pair. That is, a pair of ports that sells one thing at a low price and buys something the other port neighboring has at a higher price.  ONce you do that port pair buying and selling, thed you should be able to build up your ship to add cargo holds so you can carry more.  Then it becomes more profitable to get colonists and ferry them to your plannet.  Sound repetitive?  Yes, it is, and there's a reason.  In trade wars, there are programs called trade wars helpers which basically monitor output, map your known universe, and make repetitive tasks more easy.  For instance, if you find a really good port pair where organics is selling at 500 but you buy it at the port that is selling at 100, you can tell your helper to go ack and forth.  Trade wars helpers are encouraged and allowed, so don't worry, this is not cheating.  This is why we only have a certain number of turns per day.  The same can occur with colonization.  If you want to get 10000 people to your planet, you can have the helper help you out and make those repetitive moves.  Ultimately, you would run the helper (for your tradewars session) rather than running your terminal emulator to get into the bbs and go into tradewars.  You can actually get into tradewars without logging onto the bbs but you must rlogin into port 2002 with a username of your full name for this to work.  Helpers can make life easier because they'll keep track of port prices, where your fighres are, that kind of thing.  One of the free helpers is twx proxy, and another one is shareare and is called Swath.  Swath has a "jaws" mode for screen reader users and the author is very willing to help blind users get things working.

Does this answer your question, in a roundabout way I'm sorry smile?

Ner

2014-02-11 15:38:53

Hi Ner.

Well regarding lunatix that would be nice. With eamon deluxe it would be great to have a perminant host  so that people could play the game.

In terms of save games, well   the way Eamon deluxe works is characters that users create are saved to the database, or you can just use one of the default edx characters, so there wouldn't particularly be a problem there as even if someone else did play with your character you could just use the   in built character editer to  restore anyway, it is also quite possible that if you asked Frank Black the Eamon deluxe maintainer he'd be willing to add a password function to safe gard people's characters, since I we've been trying to solve this problem of how people can run edx without dosbox for ages.

Other dos games like Fallthru might be a bit more difficult to maintain without people mucking about with character files, though I think the risk of that is probably worth  having the games available to everyone to play, assuming there are no other individual password options when the games are run that you can think of.

With trade wars, well I'll worry about helpers when I've worked out the game a little more, but I thought my  planet started with colonists on it since I'm pretty sure it has numbers in the colonists column. Perhaps if you could explain that chart  it might be helpful.

Perhaps if you could explain what those columns were that might help.

2014-02-11 16:16:23

Oo!

Oo! Eamon possibly coming to your BBS soon, I'm sure Frank Black would be proud! I've always enjoyed his Eamon Deluxe series. Even with the saving limitations, I'd still absolutely enjoy it! I'm sure the folks at: http://eamonag.org , would be very proud!

More people need to jump in to the BBS world!
I see that you have Gopher support with yours. Been trying to figure out how to start a gopher Server, under windows or Linux. Though I am an SDF member too, and possibly should just stick with that if its to difficult start a gopher server from my PC.

Ah, Legend of the Red Dragon. Though I never played LOTRD, I have played the Hogwarts Live variant of Legend Of The Green Dragon back in the day for years!

As there are so many Linux distros, not sure which one ya should base the instructions off of... It seems its better to play your games under Speakup screen reader, instead of using Orca, as it just works much better under a console with Speakup than a terminal under Orca.

Coming soon will be a separate thread on taking the plunge in to the Linux world, but I'm digressing here...

Keep up the wonderful work with this! I'm known as "Sunlight" on NerBBS, and on "SDF" as well.
Thanks for bringing BBS back to the world for everyone to enjoy!

PS. I'm only 29 years old, and didn't get to experience BBS, nor Gopher back in its heyday. Though learning both how they worked from Hacker Public Radio , and Talk Geek To Me , has been a joy!

2014-02-11 16:27:50

@Dark,

I can help with the particular Trade Wars screen you're wondering about. The planet has a chart showing how many colonists you have working to produce each product. The order of columns is product name, total number of colonists working to produce that product, number of colonists required to produce 1 of that product per day, (note that you'll want to make sure your colonists are multiples of this number to get multiple units of the product), how much you have on the planet, how much you have on the ship, and what the planet's maximum storage for that product is.
Does that help explain things a bi more?

Best,
Zack.

2014-02-11 16:37:15

Hello,
This looks really great! I've just tried like 2 games for now, and I'm already freaking loving this. I got two questions, though:
1. I already noted Ner about this, but just to be sure, does the time bank feature actually remain active? My time keeps going down, will my account expire, even though I used up all my credits on extra minutes?
2. Can I connect to my NerBS E-Mail address using a regular mail client?
Thanks in advance.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000