2007-04-01 18:52:43

Hi,

I bought an ipod video, 30 gb model. I've installed rockbox on it recently- and all I can say is, "wow."

From when you turn on the player o when you turn it off, menus are spoken. So are files and directories if you have them enabled. Not to mention the fact that, when your browsing through files, most of the time, rockbox is quick and responsive, allowing for quick browsing. It boasts lotts of sound settings, such as crossfeed, graphic eq, which we can't use, great eq presetts built in, and a great documentation to boot. Not to mention, with the new ipod bootloader, its as easy as running a program, pressing I, press enter, (with he ipod connected to the pc in windows), and your done- just make sure .rockbox and rockbox.ipod are in your ipods root directory.

Just some guys thoughts, for what its worth.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-04-21 02:54:46

Hi, I have a Sansa E-260 MP3 player, and I just found out about last week. I installed it and I love it. Since Sansa is a new addition to the supported players not all the features are implemented yet, but it's still great. It speaks menus and files/directories, and I no longer have to ask people for help in the menus.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-06-07 18:38:51

I have rockbox on my iPod nano. It works excelent. I love it!

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-09-07 04:30:14

Hey,

I know this may be a rather old topic, but I'd just like to say a few things about the voice files:

The voice files, right now, are very horrible if you download them from rockbox main site, however, they also stopped hosting the voices in the daily build section. So, if you can handle a little faster (faster is always better- I experienced frequent crashes with the festival from linux because it was so slow), here are the links to reed, (default jaws voice). I've got this saved in microsoft word for my specific model, ipod video, because these links will direct you directly to the download itself.

here it is:

Iriver H300
http://vip.cybercity.dk/~ccc52914/rockb … H300.voice
Sandisk Sansa E200
http://vip.cybercity.dk/~ccc52914/rockb … E200.voice
Ipod Video
http://vip.cybercity.dk/~ccc52914/rockb … ideo.voice
Ipod Nano
http://vip.cybercity.dk/~ccc52914/rockb … nano.voice

Hav fun, and I hope I helped some people. If you are experiencing crashes due to the slowness (I really experienced it when it was announcing the system info) then you should be fine to switch to these vgoices, which I thoughrely love. The more I use rockbox, the more I love it- everything from the self voicing menus (which would be enough for me) and to the voicing directories which yu can use talk clips for, instead of having said voice spell it out or number the files and folders. Its called voicebox and its a very small zip file. Run the voicebox.hta file and your all set to go.

What else. I have no critisisms for rockbox- which is surprising. Its stil in beta, of course, but its awesome nevertheless, for my model on the ipod video, anyway. Seems to be very stable and I hardly ever crashes.
I'm rambling on, but anyway. How much runtime are you getting? I'm averaging about 8 hours, I think, although I haven't used the battery bench recently.

- wolfy

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-09-07 22:24:04

Hi, Yeah I was wondering what happened to the voices. I used to use Reed but then a new version of rockbox came out and those wouldn't work. So  I downloaded that horrible voice. I've never had a crash with Rockbox. I use the Sansa E260 and it works great.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-07 22:33:59

Oh yeah, any idea how to create voice files? I'm not talking about the clips, I mean voice files for the menus using a synthesizer of your choice.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-09-29 02:33:09

yeah. Andre louis has made a lot, and I wonder how he does it! Also I have a really stable english voice! Its american english ibm via voice read rockbox ipod nano 1st gen. It works great!

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-11-19 22:14:21

Hi all!
Thanks for your opinions! I wrote to my christmas wishlist about the Sandisk Sansa E-250. For now I'm very, very excited: How the player is like, how the Rockbox UI is like, how all gets working and so. I read through Rockbox manual for the Sansa, and even build my own voice file, because the voice file for my native language didn't exist. I can only say that it's very hard to set up the cygwin building environment. However as a whole the compiling was a rather easy process and now I have a voice file waiting for testing.
BTW. It's possible to build an Rockbox simulator. However if you have a building environment or a copy of the prebuilt simulator, I don't recommend you to try it. It's an SDL app which displays only the graphics, to the button or voice emulation isn't implemented. Alt-f4 don't work also, you need to kill the process manually from the Task manager.

2007-11-19 22:21:43

Hey, That'sgreat! I have the Sansa E260, which I would recommend going with since the 250 only has 2 GB of space and the 260 has 4 GB for not too much more. It's a great player and works well with Rockbox.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-11-20 11:03:24

and now I have a voice file waiting for testing

Have you seen the recent changes? Rockbox has turned over to Speex for its voicefiles, so you might need to build a new one. (By the way, there's no Cygwin needed for that at all.)

voice emulation isn't implemented

In fact, it is implemented. Refer to the sim documentation for this.

2007-11-20 21:35:52

Ducktail wrote:

and now I have a voice file waiting for testing

Have you seen the recent changes? Rockbox has turned over to Speex for its voicefiles, so you might need to build a new one. (By the way, there's no Cygwin needed for that at all.)

Well, I made the file two days ago, so it may be already encoded in speex.

voice emulation isn't implemented

In fact, it is implemented. Refer to the sim documentation for this.

Thanks for the correktion. I look to the documentation and tell here if I get it working.

2007-11-20 21:38:50

Mike wrote:

Hey, That'sgreat! I have the Sansa E260, which I would recommend going with since the 250 only has 2 GB of space and the 260 has 4 GB for not too much more. It's a great player and works well with Rockbox.

Thanks Mike. Great to know that Sansa works well with rb!

Well, for now 2 gigs is enough for my needs. And if I need more space I can buy a microsd card.

2007-11-21 21:22:56

Ok, I compiled and tested again the emulator.

I can't still hear any voice output except the music. I get the music playing by pressing numpad keys randomly. However the english.voice gets loaded and no errors are found while starting the SIM.  The problem isn't in the voice file, it's a daily build and should be already in speex format.

2007-11-21 21:26:25

Well, I wonder why one would compile his own sim. I mean, before I bought my iAudio X5 I used its sim with a voicefile and it worked quite well...

2007-11-23 07:27:39

I tested also the prebuilt binary. Not working. Maybe the voice emulation isn't implemented in Sansa E200 sim or something.

2007-11-23 13:59:27

Did you try this with your own built voice or with the default, English one? Also, if you use a foreign language/voice you must first change your language in the Settings menu before the voice works.

2007-12-02 03:24:10

I prefer the Apple firmware.

I had rockbox on my 30GB iPod Video last year and I uninstalled it.  I'm not an RB fan, here's why.

1.  I don't like how rock box is a directory structured software.  Sure I have all my music organized into folders and whatnot, but sometimes it took a while to find a certain song I wanted to listen to.  I also never figured out how to get the voice box script to create clips for any new music I put on my iPod after the first time I ran it.  I find it much easier to just plug my iPod in and have iTuens sync anything new over to the iPod

2.  To me at least, I found the click wheel on the iPod to be a bit too sensitive for my taste when using rockbox.  I often found myself scrolling too far in a menu, and it took a few times to get to the choice I wanted.  This would probably not be as big of an issue on a different player, since it would most likely have a directional pad or a stick, like some Nokia phones do.

3.  I hated having to switch back to the Apple firmware to play any songs I bought off iTunes, of which I have alot.  I like having them shuffled in with the rest of my music.

4.  Maybe I've been spoiled by iTunes, but IMO if you have an mp3 player like that that can hold alot of material, you should be able to use a library type interface rather than just a foler/file structure.  This is how the iPod works by default, and I like being able to go through my music by artist/album/genre or even just by song title.  This is done by reading the tag info in your files...and I can't stand having my files tagged wrong.  Supposedly the PAC Mate Omni will be able to build a library via this info, so I am very excited about that.  I heard there is a way to use the tag info in rockbox, but I never figured it out, and you have to live with it spelling out all your songs, which gets really annoying really fast.  I think that with mp3 players being able to hold as much as they do, then they need a screen reader...plain and simple.  That's why I'm excited about the PM Omni...because you can just use JAWS to read you the info.  I can probably throw 5GB of music on my 8GB compact flash card, or just buy another card for music, or even an external hard drive because my library is almost 17GB right now.  The only drawback to that though, is the PAC Mate isn't exactly small, so it might not be good to take some places.  Someone needs to come up with a smaller mp3 player, like the size of an iPod, and put some kind of screen reader on it.  Prerecorded stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Cool  if you like rockbox though...alot of people do.  LOL I'm just the odd guy out who doesn't.

Just my $00.02

Brian

2007-12-02 12:11:29

In fact, I think the database-features in Rockbox come pretty close to that library-idea of iTunes. I just have two reasons why I would like to have a dualboot ----- indeed, I'd never switch back to the OF.
1. I don't have all these cool Cowon/iAudio enhancements (such as the Bass and MP3 playback ones).
2. The driver for the FM radiochip in Rockbox is not quite good, I think one could get more out of the OF.
However, I've way more reasons to choose for Rockbox...

2007-12-02 15:47:39

Yeah me too. For one thing I don't have an Apple IPod, so I don't use ITunes, and wouldn't want to. It isn't even accessible unless you play like $100 for those scripts. So you pay $200 for an IPod, $50 or whatever for the scripts, and $0.99 for every song? That's just a waste of money, for songs you can't even play with a talking firmware.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-12-02 17:31:20

The Pac Mate is a lot more expensive than an MP3 player, though I find my QX is more than good enough for my needs right now. A PDA using either Mobile Speak Pocket or Pocket Hal could work too for less cost just for MP3s, though would lack the same battery time.

Though I have a Nokia S60 which runs Talks perfectly well I can't seem to get the MP3 player to work though sadly. Just copying the MP3s over doesn't work, and the music transfer program doesn't seem to be accessible with Jaws.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-12-11 20:10:01

Hello again!
I got the emulator working! The problem were in my copy of rockbox source code which I grabbed from subversion. Although the emulator is not very responsive, it works and I have now a feel how the thing works.

And for the IPod conversation:
Two years ago I got an IPod Shuffle for christmas present. The player were very cool. Thick and small and light. But as many people said here earlier, ITunes is not enough accessible. I "fighted" with IPod and ITunes two days. Then I returned the IPod to the store where my parents bought it.

2007-12-14 00:23:56

About a week ago I got an IPod nano for my early christmas present. I use winamp to put music on it. Anyway I was wondering What the differants betreen the first and therd gen of the nano. I think I have the therd gen one and rockbox only runs on the nano first gen

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2007-12-26 00:18:48

Ok, now I have a Sandisk sansa e250 with rockbox. All is working very well, except the english voice which is very poor. This doesn't make much sense to me because I use Finnish at most, but somewhere where the translation lacks I have to use English.