2013-12-24 08:14:18

Subject says it all.

Who here has played with BitTorrent Sync?

What are your thoughts?

BTSync is an alternative way of syncing up your files like Dropbox, only it doesn't have a centralised server.

The website probably explains it better so go read the description.

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync

If you're an NVDA user, it is a bit fiddly, but still usable.

A few of us have switched from Dropbox to using this for sharing Harry potter fanfiction.

I wish you could make links like with Dropbox, but sadly you can't.

Does this mean I'll stop using DB? probably not, but for large transfers, I'll definitely be sticking to BTSync.

2013-12-24 08:53:25

Hi.
I have not played with it, yet, but I really like the idea of the program.
I wanted to set up a server (Not doing that anymore.)
so that a friend of mine can get files but this should be better.
How would a friend of mine get files or a folder using this program?

I'm gone for real :)

2013-12-24 09:06:14

Hi.

My only problem with this program is, if my friend wanted to take a folder, take for example harry potter fan fiction.
and he cut it, would I loose the folder on my hard drive?
This does seem like a very good program. And yes, it's quite fiddley but is deffenetly usable with NVDA.

2013-12-24 12:37:02

BTSync uses a string of randomly generated letters and numbers up to 32 characters long.

When you generate the secret, which is what they like to call it, you can go into that folders preferences and just give them the read only secret.

That's one of the reasons why I made the switch.

I'll use the Harry potter fanfiction folder as an example, people would access the files and make modifications, like cutting the folder out of dropbox, well obviously if you do that the changes are going to take place everywhere else.

Read only access is exactly what it says, only people that have the full access key can make changes.

2013-12-24 13:12:07

Hi.
I'm sorry but I still don't understand.
So if i give this string of numbers to my friend, and he cut the folder, i would lose my folder on my side also, because it's being cut right?
Hmm in that case, I think I'd still choose dropbox over this, simply because with dropbox, you can copy and paste the folder into the dropbox folder. Or have I missed  the point.

2013-12-24 13:55:16

if you both have full access then yes, if you only give them read only access, the only thing that will happen if they cut the folder is that folder will be redownloaded.

I just tested it with the fanfic folder and that's what happened.

I'm not sure what would happen if only 2 people were sharing.

My advice, don't get into the habit of moving files unless you know what you're doing.

The best way to learn is to play with it, that's what I've been doing.

2013-12-24 16:02:02

Hi,
I've been playing around with it, but i'm not in any folders as yet.

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2013-12-25 06:40:08

It does sound like a very attractive programme and I have played with it, but I have some reservations till they open-source it or at least the underlying security protocol

2014-05-05 05:35:06

YO.
I figured i'd just bring this topic back tongue
any ways, i've played with it, and i love it. it uses the fast and awesome bittorrent protacall to transfer files. There is an iOS, antroid, and windows phone app for it as well, and you can set those apps up just to have access to a folder, not actually try and download it all.
I use this, for example, to stream a book to my iPhone and read it in voicedream. and i use it for lots of folders, and it has failed me very rarely.
I've even sent bittorrent a report on how "fidly" it can be with us NVDA users, and it seems like they fixed it!
and even if they didn't, there is a nice little addOn in the NVDA db and BTSync folders that tfixes it up quite nicely.
Just my thoughts rofl.

Regards,
Blademan
Twitter: @bladehunter2213

2014-05-06 07:17:25

What confuses me is the 24 hour secret, I know it lasts 24 hours obviously, but what happens after the 24 hours?

Does it stop syncing, or do you only have 24 hours to use the key.

2014-08-29 10:34:34

BTSync is now up to version 1.4 at the time of this post, and while it's somewhat usable using NVDA, I am unable to remove folders, or get to the preferences.

Sometimes, NVDA will read you the options, but getting to them is impossible.

So far it appears easier to use using NVDA, unfortunately if you're a jaws user, you get nothing.

Those are my current findings, so I'm bumping this back up to see if anyone else has had better luck.

I can navigate, I just can't get to the important stuff.

2014-08-29 11:49:47

Well, I still using 1.3 though. smile My bt sync is not update. even though I have "automatic check for update check box enabled", but still not working. I've also check for update manually, but it says my bt sync is up to date.

2014-08-30 04:49:51 (edited by Socheat 2014-08-30 04:50:16)

Maybe I'll have to download the file and perform the update manually.

2014-08-30 08:25:16

Bit torrent sync's new interface in v1.4 isn't accessible. I hope they will fix it, but they have been pretty unresponsive when it comes to requests for accessibility fixes (e.g in utorrent).

I would consider an alternative like SyncThing, which is in addition to being completely accessible, is open-source and does almost everything that BtSync does. SyncThing is nearing its v1.0 release.

2014-08-30 09:21:22

oh wow, gonna check that one.

2014-08-30 12:55:20

Using NVDA you can show and hide colums by going to the table where it lists the names of the colums.

After that you move the mouse to the current navigator object, NVDA+ numpad devide if you're on a desktop.

Then do a right click, and go to the bottom of the page and you should see all the names of the colums you want to be shown or hidden.

They show up as links, so enter will toggle them.

Unfortunately the menu disappears when you click one of those links so you have to keep going to the top of that table and doing the whole right click thing.

This still doesn't help with getting to the preferences or removing folders, But I figured I'd post this and see if anyone can discover anything once you clean up the page by hiding some of the colums.

2014-08-30 14:14:33

How about reporting the accessibility issues to the developer?

2014-08-30 16:27:35

I sent them feedback using the built in feed back form, so now we can only hope.

2014-08-31 02:50:39

Oh well, let's see then.

2014-08-31 04:50:49

Well they actually got back to me, and it looks like one of those automated messages.

I'll post the message below.

Dear user,
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. We'll consider it for future releases.
Best regards,
Sync Support Team.

2014-08-31 05:51:43

ah, hope it will be fix in the future release.

2014-08-31 15:33:20

I have not used Bittorrent Sync. I probably should, though.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-09-01 05:07:38

I've been using bit torent Sync for a while now, and it works quite well with NVDA with the addon installed. Without the addon, it still works, but NVDA will repeat the thing now focused on the list. Also, without it, I don't think I could install BitTorent Sync. I can't even go to the next button and such in the installation. LOL.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-09-01 06:38:20

Hello to all. Does anyone have the latest addon for nvda and BTsync? I can't use it here. Windows 7 32 bit and nvda 2014.3 rc3

2014-09-01 10:35:21

I wouldn't recommend using the latest version because, well it doesn't play nice with screenreaders.

I managed to find the latest version that does work however.

here are links for BT Sync and for the NVDA addon.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/174 … nvda-addon

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/174 … .3.109.exe