2007-03-30 15:40:39

Hello.

I'm really glad that people have heard my blind cooltech podcast and are making comments about it, however, to avoid cluttering up other topics with comments, I'm creating this topic here especially for them.

I'm sorry if this seems arrogant or big headed, I just thought it'd make things on the forum and in various  topics slightly neeter, especially as I'll hopefully be casting another pod very soon.

As an alternative, you can always E-mail me on dark at x g a M dot Org.

Please also note, i'm dashing off home from uni today, and won't be back until next wednesday, so i'm sorry if I don't get your comments until then, but just post them here or mail them to me and I'll pick them up when I get back.

Now, to Answer Jessy's question from the lighttech topic. i was using Hal version 6.53 as my screen reader, with Dolphin orphius Uk english voice Alan as my synth voice. I'd like to get hold of Scansoft daniel at some point (sinse while Alan's good, I think daniel might be able to do a better job).

Oncemore, appologies for any exess of ego this post seems to show. There are certainly much better podcasters than me out there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-30 22:20:38

What podcast did you made then?

2007-03-31 11:07:41

andy smith wrote:

Speaking of podcasts, did anyone do a review of Judgment Day yet? If not, and even if you did, I might demonstrate the bonus games, the normal level, or a number of others!

I'll do it sometimes this spring.

2007-03-31 18:15:17

Well as usual Dark you're absolutely hillarious. Podcaster, a city in England. Hmmm...

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-03-31 19:48:32 (edited by arjan 2007-03-31 19:49:22)

oh yeah dark you rule when it comes to podcasting or, as you call it, castings of the pan, ehr pod.
smile

2007-04-01 01:02:40

Hi, which podcasts did you do? I don't feel like going through that whole list lol

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-04-01 07:25:27

well when i get around to that submitting the audio files thing, i can probably review a game on podcast. however, my real problem is.
I'm a bit confused with that winLame thing that most recorders ask me to download when saving mp3 files, the site is a bit confusing and i don't quite know what to do on that one.
the question then is what to review. I've seen many games already, i was planning to do lords of the galaxy, but my demo expired and they haven't released a new version. boo!
hey, i know something. how bout treasure mania.

2007-04-01 11:03:51

For that Lame MP3-tinghy, just ask me. It's a pretty small DLL.

And about my-space-looks-like-this-podcasts, well, if you got those really awesome portable stereo microphones, it could sound quite well.

2007-04-01 18:33:53 (edited by DavyKager 2007-04-02 13:07:09)

Is there a direct link to that podcast? I'm too lazy to scour the web for it.

2007-04-02 13:07:59

Will tell you when I find the time to quote the sentence that it's in.

2007-04-03 19:50:17

davy... ctrl plus f. if you know what kind of podcast you can easily search for it that way.

2007-04-04 22:04:44

Damn, casting pods is awesome! Do you have something like a Skypename so I can add you there (don't know if I'm allowed)?

2007-04-06 07:33:15

Well, nice to see this topic has generated some discusion, and I'll look forward to checking out other people's pods.

Many appologies for the absense, but I got back on Wednesday to discover the network doing very nasty things to my Pc, slowing things down to unbelieveable levels. Yesterday I had the fun of contacting the I.t. services, and as usual they've been fairly useless.

However, I believe I've isolated the problem, ----- and as the old saying goes, if there's a problem microsoft is usually at the bottom of it, in this case microsoft automatic update, which somehow had got turned on.

Assuming I've correctly analysed the problem's cause, I should be back now.

I hope to do another pod this weekend (was going to do one yesterday, but had all the I.T. related fun to deal with). Possible topics I'm considdering are a review of Galaxy Ranger or Lords of the Galaxy, a review of the Project.aon site and the Lone wolf gamebooks, a review of self-destruct or maybe Jim's games. Perhaps an online text game or two as well. Brian's already done Sryth, but I don't think anyone's done Kingdom of Loathing.

I'd like to sort out a propper mike which I could connect to my comp though, then I could hopefully directly reccord onto the r09 without the need to use my speakers. which would be much better for audio game reviews, particularly of hevily sterrio games like Treasuremania.

though at least the r09 has some very good sterrio mikes. Speaking of sterrio mikes, I'd also like to discuss coffee, and the way I make it, ----- sinse I grind it by hand and don't use any electronic gismos, an audio wander around colidge might also be fun, sinse we have some quite interesting audio environments I think, ----- including ducks! Perhaps I could also demonstrate the ultrakane as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-04-06 10:14:23

do either galaxy ranger or lords of the galaxy if you ask me. well... what's the problem? if you've got a stereo mix you should be able to use headphones without difficulty.

2007-04-06 10:23:22

Though a space tour would be awesome as well!

2007-04-06 16:47:17

Well, the problem I'm having with my mike is that even though the R09 has a perfectly fine sterrio line in, it can't pick up on the mike at the same time, either using it's own sterrio mikes or an external mike plugged in. I've tried plugging a mike directly into my sound card, but for some reason I can't get any sound out of it at all. it's selected in the control panel, and the mike volume there is at 100, but speaking down it produces absolutely zippo.

I know for a fact the mike works (it's a pretty good one, sinse it's the one I use for performances), and there's only two possible holes on my sound card it could go in sinse the others are all taken up by my speakers, but neither of them produces anything.

So, unless anyone has any ideas, it's either got to be perfect quality recordings and playing on headphones with the R09, though without my voice, or using the sterrio mikes and speakers and having me speak as wel, which is obviously the point of podcasts and reviews, though I will admit for many games, I find playing on speakers an absolute pain, hence my inability to review them.

Even if the problem isn't solved though, I have found I can play lords of the galaxy and Galaxy ranger on speakers, ------ though with a litle difficulty (damned asteroids and rockit plants!), however, sinse speaking and playing at the same time is also quite an artform, I'd be playing on easy, or not playing too seriously anyhow for the reviews.

As to the space thingy, that'll unfortunately have to wait until i can get some batteries for the R09, and either a wrist strap or some form of protection so that I don't drop the thing (I am slightly accident prone).

I'll investigate both things in the near future though. Now would actually be a good time to do the space thing, sinse colidge is fairly empty as it's the easter hollidays.

2007-04-06 18:09:10 (edited by dark empathy 2007-04-06 18:22:25)

Well, the volume controls I mention for the mike are those found in the "sounds and audio" item of the control panel, if you want to muck about with your system's volume, I suggest looking there.

As to the start menue, simply open windows explorer and if your the only person that uses your comp and haven't done anything serious with the accounts business, go to documents and settings\all users\start menue, and you can customize what goes on there, create short cuts and cut and paste. If you or someone else has done something with the accounts on your system, just go to "documents and settings\ whatever your user name is\start menue" instead.

As regards the Ftp and submition, it's no trouble.

the Ftp site thing shouldn't be a problem at all. go to ftp://dm.myftp.org/ (if it asks you for a password, you can find it on the appropriate page of Bct).

Then, when you've got the Ftp open, just copy the file with ctrl C, go to the ftp page and paste the file with ctrl V. A similar timing dialogue thingy should open (as when your waiting for a download, virus scan or whatever), and when that's finished whatever the file was should be on the page.

Now just close the Ftp page and send an E-mail to Lary Scutchan explaining what the file is,and it should get posted up on Bct within the next week or so.

Hope this helps.

Now, if anyone could give me some mike advice as regards my previous post I'd be very much obliged, especially sinse it would make it possible for me to cast even more complex pods, and give me a wider variety of things to ramble on pointlessly about.

2007-04-06 18:10:21

why don't you like the idea?
oh and i had some similar problems. if you ask me, annihilate Real Player. it completely messes up your sound settings and the like which is not needed at all. so do not, install Real player, i once did it on my laptop only because the file i wanted to listen to was .ram, and trust me, i'll never use it unless there's a solution for all those nasty volume and sound downloading changes.

2007-04-06 21:36:47 (edited by dark empathy 2007-04-06 21:56:57)

Now how about noticing the fact that "Well darn Whatever! is not exactly a good response when somebody's trying to help you out Andy. "thanks it works" or "thanks it doesn't" or "thanks I'll try it later" would all be fine, perhaps you are spotting a trend here.

I'm sorry about playing the politeness ogre, I just don't exactly appreciate getting that sort of response after I've taken the time to construct a careful explanation, and this isn't the first time I've noticed that such things have happened. If you don't understand something, just say so you don't learn anything unless you ask.

Arjan, I actually ran Real player for quite a while on my old laptop with windows 98 with no trouble at all. Recently, sinse a lot of websites seem to require it for streaming (I deffinately fancied some of the dr. who stuff on the Bbc site), I tried downloading the dreaded thing. unfortunately, the network port blocking strikes again, thus it was of no use to me, however I was able to remove it with no problems at all.

If Real player is causing you issues though Arjan, there's an alternative called "Real alternative" on the downloads page of the Whitestick.co.uk site Though when I tried that, I got the same blocking issues as Real player so it wasn't much good for me, but from the description on the download's page it seems to be an easy way round the real player issues you describe, ----- and I've certainly found some good software on that page in the past.

2007-04-11 19:57:48

Dark.
You are a very good podcaster! Or casting a pod, as you nicely say. Keep up the good work!

V

2007-04-12 04:10:14

Thanks, glad you enjoyed my pod. I was going to do another one this evening but ended up falling asleep early, but hopefully I can get one done tomorrow.

2007-04-12 16:55:01

Hello all.
First of all, i have to mention that i've never saw a pod from dark like the last one. I have to say his recording quality is really crapy, with that mono sound... and the background noise is horrible.
And he even doesn't know what is his pod's subject... erm... no comment. Do not download it, do not!
Hey, you against-the-pod wish that this could become true? But, i have to say, it won't. And with my last words, i'm removing the "Lieing spell" from me.
Everything what i've said, is not true. Everything what i've said is just a thing which is caused by this spell... Ok. In my mind, i'M trying to change the sentences to the opposite, but the spell won't let me. So, please do it if you can, and you'll get the most impressive pod caster around the world. Yep, that is true... Cheers!
Ok. The spell is returning. I've to find a wizard who removes it from me... Here is my blue flaming sword... i may have to menace the wizard to do it... its my life. But before i go, i heard a fellow asked for help, because he can't open a portal or something, called volume control. I heard once a mage said "sndvol32 in the run dialog", and it'll open up. But who knows. Maybe the spell makes me to say these things. Anyways, i need to find one. To remove this... I might will die... so you won't see me again. But lets hope i won't. MY adventure begins...
(Robjoy)

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2007-04-12 17:02:52

Just keep casting those podders. Or stop doing so, because you're stealing my listeners. smile

2007-04-13 07:37:20

Well thanks people, ---- Robjoy, I'll lend you my big nobly big nobbly stick of mage clobbering (pluss 3 to head bashing), to deal with that spell of yours.
Unfortunately last night I discovered the joyst of the Falcon banner, ----- which i highly recommend people listen to, anyway, I was so busy hereing that, that unfortunately all my pod plans had to be postponed. the Byran chronicals is also good too.

to anyone who hasn't come across it, Get going to the Darker project site right! now! Before the zombies get you!

You'll even notice some familiar voices. I wouldn't mind doing some acting for them myself, provided that it's not too complicated, ----- I've always wanted to voice act!

2007-04-13 12:37:58

robjoy... that was wierd and funny though. lol.