2013-12-08 19:52:21

my vb6 games work fine in windows7. I had to tell them to go into the program files x86 folder other than that its fine. do 16bit dos games work? no. but for that a virtual windows xp solves the problem and they run with nvda in a command line. don't like the new ms-office? then just don't use it. go get ibm lotus symphony. then you have the menu bars back. don't like that? use chrome with chromevox and google drive or google docs. google docs works great with chromevox. also has a menu bar and you can check a box to use it in offline mode. so just because you use windows does not mean you are forced into using ms-office ms-this and ms-that.

2013-12-08 21:14:58

Somehow I find the possibility of MickeySoft actually renewing XP contracts, even in China, pretty remote. But I guess there's still hope, and given the hostility felt towards Windows 8 there might just be a concession on the cards. 37% global XP market share--so not, by any means, a small number. And not that much more the previous year. Worse, Windows 7 SP2 hasn't been released; that puts us on track for a 2015 target EOL, with what I'm sure will be a predictable backlash from the wise and sensible. Dear, dear.

Just myself, as usual.

2013-12-09 11:30:38

whaat! does that mean I can't use any Software that Comes out after April 8th?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2013-12-09 12:09:05

Moderation!

@Josh, instead of posting multiple posts one reply to each person, it's usually better to read the posts on the forum and make one reply, since this makes the posts easier to read.

Regarding  ms office, I know there are alternatives, and I know as I said I could get used to windows 7, and I could! run an xp virtual machine. The problem as I've said is all of those things are extra work, and I'm not really sure  why i should bother since I haven't found anything good in windows 7 that I'd actually want! to use the os for.

@Conner, no, you won't be instantly unable to use software after april the 8th. It will depend upon how the software is made and whether it either uses components that can't be run on xp or requires higher computer specifications than can be  used on an xp machine.

This might happen with some things at some point, albeit I'd have expected it to be a far more frequent occurrance by now, indeed Avg 13 is the only instance I've encountered myself and that was a ram issue rather than a lack of support. Then of course there are people still developing in languages like vb6 that are xp specific simply because that is what they are comfortable with in programming terms, and again microsoft doesn't give a rats rear about this and has dropped support to try and force people to buy their new stuff even if it means learning a new programming language.

This is again though why I  suspect the biggest change will be hardware not software.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-12-10 05:11:33

Hi,

Yeah, Xp is runs good and faster can't wait to see microsoft stop care about XP.
lol

2014-01-24 20:59:16

Just a quick update. In case you haven't heard, MSRT will stay on for another year after XP's end of support. No word yet on how it'll be delivered (whether, for instance, through Windows/Microsoft Update), but it's good news--and about the minimum Micros~1 can do to avoid looking like a bunch of irresponsible tossers. We also learn that Security Essentials will no longer be available for download, whatever that means, but that updates for it will continue to be made available for another year. This isn't really a problem, because MSE is now considered to be crap and all the other vendors are (rather aptly) continuing to support XP.

So there you go. This is clearly no real solution to your security problems--prevention is better than cure, as always--but there is still a parachute.

My advice: switch to Firefox and start learning to love it. Do not touch the network with untrusted software, which includes any part of the XP operating system. If you ran with the (or a) firewall off, you'll need to begin using it, or you'll need to put your XP machine or VM behind a NAT, to prevent server code in the OS from being reachable from the network. If you need AV--I don't--make sure it's well supported and has a good rate of detection. And don't plug untrusted USB devices into the machine.

Good luck. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-01-24 21:11:45

That's good to hear. May still play around with XP from time to time. It's great for those with it as the main OS.

2014-01-25 07:37:35

I'm keeping XP! The reason is because it has Microsoft Sam. Sure, he has his flaws, like the infamous soi soi soi (which I'm a fan of and learned to imitate), and Anna is okay (not the best) but okay, but I am sticking to XP because of Sam and because my childhood started there! Sure I've had it since I was eight, but I mean, seriously. Too bad you can't get Sam, Mike and mary for SAPI5 on newer systems. One of these days, Microsoft, one of these days.

2014-01-25 20:25:58 (edited by Chris 2014-01-25 20:27:50)

Hi.

Yep, I agree with you family Mario.
Sam is great lol.
Not as a voice to be used for screen reading purposes but he's really funny along with his sapi 4 counterpart.
That and I've just found XP and older Windows seem more user friendly than vista/7/8.
As for the end of support thing would that really effect me? I'm now using a mac with OS X Mavericks and run a converted XP laptop in Vmware Fusion as a VM so I don't really know if the end of support thing would effect me.
My only concern and it's really scaring me is how on earth I'm going to activate my copy of XP after April 8.
When I converted my VM, I backed it up onto an external hard drive.
When ever I run it on another computer in a virtual machine Windows gets cranky and says the hardware has changed and needs to be reactivated. Normally I just follow the wizard and it activates automatically.
Will this work after the end of support?
I hope to god it does, or I will never forgive Microcrap for what they've done.
I don't care how old XP is, it's a great OS and works well.
Of course that could change many years from now but really, what's the point of newer Windows versions?
I'm rambling now, sorry.
Yep, just my thoughts.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-01-25 20:40:37

They say that the activation servers stay alive after April 8. You should be fine. Your VM scenario probably won't be an issue at all going forward, but like I said, just be careful. Between now and the time XP is officially vintage, there's a window of opportunity for badness, during which you need to be on your guard.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-01-27 20:02:26

Yeah, I agree with you, Chris. Sam is not a good voice for screen readers, but he's fun to play around with and mess with his soi soi soi soi soi and his crows nest, and all sorts of little things here and there. I wish there was a way to use SAPI4 voices for text-to-speech in Control Pannel, not counting the fact that SAPI4 is included on Windows 2000, but even that operating system is old. Even older than XP.

2014-01-27 20:19:22

Ah, Windows 2000. Now that was a real gem; arguably Microsoft's best work.

Will XP be remembered as fondly? Even as it was superior to 2000, it at least had stuff going for it, even if you did have to mess about with it to get it working …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-01-28 05:29:30

Hi.

Well, since we're talking about other Windows, what was Windows Longhorn like?
I found a bunch of sounds from Longhorn that sound really cool.
I have no idea why microsoft decided to ditch those sounds in favor of the crappy Windows Vista/7/8 sounds.
Anyone know what Windows Longhorn was like? Is it more like Windows XP than Vista or is it more like Vista?
Does it use Microsoft Sam or Anna or did they have another voice that they ditched for Anna?
I'm just now realizing I'm missing gaps in my Windows history.
I also have sounds for Windows NT which sound different from the 2000/ME sounds.

2014-02-26 03:25:22

I think Longhorn is a future project, already pushed back a few times. There's no telling. I haven't heard the sounds though.

I remember NT's startup sound. It was kinda techno. Quite cool. A shame Microsloth kept coming back to piano. Like, how tragically conventional. Win95 had piano, forcrissake.

But my fave sounds remain those of OS/2 3 and OS/2 Warp 4. So cheerful and impudent, were they! smile KDE also has a nice startup and shutdown sound, too.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-05 18:56:32

We're getting close now. You can just smell the fear, can't you? smile

Here's the latest. On 5 March, Micros~1 will have Windows XP systems updated using Windows Update display a warning of the user's impending doom (blog post here) with a link to the end of support for Windows XP help page, and are offering a download of a free tool made by LapLink (wow, they're still around?) to transfer some files and settings over to a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 PC. On April 8, support will end, and on that date the user will receive the final patch Tuesday offload.

I'm afraid it's no good. If I go back to Windows full time it's going to be 7, but only because that's what the Mac supports minimum; otherwise, it's just going to be XP VMs, and I'm perfectly happy with that. When the only reason to go with 7 is that it's not 8, and still has the vestiges of a start menu with hierarchical structure instead of tiles, you know you're really fucked.

Not that I think Microsoft has won this battle--not on the merits of Vista/7/8/8.1, anyway. Some people just can't, or won't, let go of XP. Microsoft will just have to force people to upgrade …

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-05 19:33:00

Hi.

Well, I have one thing to say.

Thank you, Microcrap, for ruining Windows.
I don't know if we'll see anything like XP or even Windows 7 again.
Oh well.
This end of support thing is not really a big issue for a few reasons.
1. I have a virtual machine of one of my XP computers. This virtual machine is backed up on an external hard drive so if anything screws up I can just make another copy.
2. I have 2 fully functioning XP computers that I don't really use but are still around.
3. Unless all my games and other Windows programs I use stop working on XP, I have no reason what so ever to upgrade.
So no, I'm not worried about the end of support, at least not right now.
I'm running XP in a VM on my mac so have moved away from XP in some respects I guess.

2014-03-05 19:36:24

I will still keep XP around. Most likely off the internet, however, if I feel the need, just get a security 2014 product like bitdefender. Otherwise, I do have a 8.1 machine if I feel the desire for the modern feel. I just want my xp box for older games and software and probably this forum. I wonder if there will be 3rd party patches that people could get a hold of some how.

2014-03-05 20:45:32

I have five  machines - one Windows 7, one Windows 8 -- and two Windows XP with Servicepack3 and an upgraded Macbook Pro.

I must admit that I dont like the user experience in versions of Win$ more recent than XP, and this OS is advanced enough for sending email, streaming radio and writing documents.

I regularly restore the clean partition from my own offline media, so I do not fear any longterm infection.

Anyone still running XP after end of support should consider regular restoration of the clean OS through an automated recovery solution.

it's possible to run ghost32.exe from the talking preinstallation environment, and even though ghost32.exe is not accessible, all the operations are well documented and scriptable from the PE environment.

if you have a recovery partition with software provided by your computer manufacturer e.g. Asus, you can likely extract the backup/restore utilities and tweak them for your own ends.

Ghost32.exe, ghostexp.exe is not freeware and can't legally be redistributed by anyone, but if you bought an old netbook when these were still around 2007-2009, look inside the recovery partition or on the recovery dvd for ghost32.exe.

m

2014-03-09 15:46:20

Well this is amusing. It seems that Microsoft's attempt to get its users to upgrade from XP to Windows 8 is not going down quite as well as they might have hoped. big_smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-09 19:33:54

What would be even more amusing, is if they extended support yet again. Probably won't happen but, still, just thinking aloud.

2014-03-09 20:27:20

Probably not. I recognise that Microsoft has a right to discontinue Windows XP, but the way that they are going about it now is completely irresponsible.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-09 20:46:09

hi, putting my personal thoughts on here, and I don't want to start any drama but, there isn't that ultra hyper megga much difference from xp to 7 or 8. you have a desktop, you have foldres, files, games, a start menu, e-mail and a writing program. sure interface is different, and you can't do single letter navigation in windows 8 start menus, but so far that's the only flaw I found. other than that, I had great fun finding out how the new interface worked, messing around with speach reckognition, checking out the control pannel etc. I realise that some people can't really get used to a new feal and interface like others but just throwing my thoughts on the pile.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-03-09 22:25:55

For all the flaws of XP, the interface is holding me back. Why? Because basically the only way to go on 7 and up appears to be Classic Shell. Windows 8 is nice from a productivity point of view but IMHO just run services.msc or look at Task Scheduler and tell me how I'm supposed to deal with that. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-03-09 23:06:14

I think what still kind of bugs me is why does modern windows require at least 2 gigs of ram to run? Sure, hardware has evolved, but who really cares about the arrow graphics of 7, or the modern UI of 8? While I can use it just fine, I can't help but miss the days of only needing 512 MB of ram, and an install disc was less that a gig. While Microsoft says you can run windows 7 on a gig of ram, just try, it crawls. Why not just release a modern xp, same look, same feel, maybe some performance tweaks for current hardware, but keep the folder structures and everything. I'm truly going to miss XP from a productivity stand point, and of course, playing old games from the dos days, and games programed with vb6 was easy. While I could go round and round with these points, I think what I really want from any operating system is ultimate customization without having to click around 20 times to get to the heart of the OS. On this machine right now, i'm running windows 8.1, not to bad, but I would be just as happy, if not more, to run XP without this deadline.

2014-03-10 00:13:59

Hi.

Well, here's the thing that puzzles me.
Microcrap is supposedly going to drop XP completely. No more updates, no more security patches etc.
Here's the thing that really confuses me.
Why on earth are they going to leave the activation servers on?
Why not just release a version of XP to the public and remove the WGA thing.
I mean if they don't care about XP anymore, why not?