2007-03-22 10:55:27

Off topic, I know, but this is the first place I thought of to ask. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Roland Edirol R09 recorder for recording college lectures and podcasts and things like that. From the recordings that were done with the unit that I heard on Blind Cool Tech, Dark's not the least, it seems like an very orthwhle investment. The problem is that Roland US seems to have conveniently forgotten to list the unit's price anywhere on their site, unless you can't purchase it from them. The other problem is that Amazon.ccom has it for cclose to 400 bucksand i've heard you can get them cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where i might be able to purchase an R09 withou  having to pay a whole arm and a leg for it. After listening to Jim Fidler and others' podcasts on the unit i can tell it's very blind friendly even without having built-in speach. So again, any suggestions would be appreciated. Probably won't be able to buy one before the summer, but it'd be nice not to have to flip over  and change tapes in mid lecture, as has happened to me on more than one occasion.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-03-22 11:19:08

I've heard good things and have good experiences about the Zoom h4. However, do not know about the accessibility, because a strange menu is used.

2007-03-22 15:58:10

Yes, but I was talking about the Edirol R09, which we do know is accessible because of the number of blind people who use it for their recording needs.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-03-22 17:03:36

Oh, that's great! Well, I think the Zoom is not, because of the weird menu system.
Get that Edirol(and)!

smile

2007-03-22 18:00:47

Yes, but I was wondering if anyone on here who uses one might know where I might be able to purchase one without having to pay a whole arm and a leg for it, so to speak. As I said Amazon has them for close to 400 bucks, and i don't want to fork over that much money until it's clear that's the cheapest I can get one. As for the menus, even though the unit doesn't actually talk, from everything I've read about it, they're easy to memorize and use, partly because they keep your place in the menu from the last time you used it and they don't wrap, so if you know what choice a particular option is in terms of what number it is, it's very easy to get back up to the top of the menu and find the one you want. Recording is also suposed to be extremely simple. Actually if I'm not mistaken you can start recording from the moment the unit powers on, and the battery life is supposed to be very good, and I mean very. I still have plans to do Audio Game reviews and it occurred to me that the Edirol mightt be good for that, not to mention making the recording of college lectures a lot easier.

2007-03-22 18:19:38

Indeed Brian, I can certainly confirm all that about the R09. The menues are extremely easy, and you can indeed just switch it on and reccord with it. while it is quite useable without, it also has a rather nice, high visibility recording light, which is also handy as well. Another nice fact is that it's instantly usb compatible, so things like coppyin, renaming and deleting files can all be done in windows explorer.

As you probably noticed in my X hour podcast, it's also got a couple of rather nice sterrio mikes.

The only cryticisms I've got of the machine, is that as far as I know there's no way of pausing a recording part way through. The other day, i started recording another pod cast about the fighting fantasy project site, and my brother phoned me partway through, unfortunately i had to stop the hole thing. whenever I'm having someone read me various articals and such for my Phd (which is actually what I mostly do with the machine), I always have to pause after each section or chapter for a new file.

then, as you'll probably have gathered from the blind cool tech reviews, the batry cover is a tad fidly, and sinse the usb connector and memory card are down there, that is a problem.

The other miner thing is that for some weerd reason the R09 only comes with a 64 mb memory card, which is okay for mp3 recording, but isn't as good for wavs.

I will admit, it certainly isn't cheap, I bought mine from a company called Hagar electronics here in the uk who specialize in accessible recording and other tech. But I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford it if part of the price hadn't come out of my equipment grant for my Phd, ---- as I said, I do mainly use it for work purposes (doing pod casts etc is just an extra bonus).

Expensive as it is though, I'd stil advocate getting one if at all possible, it's something I'm fairly certain I'll be using a lot for the next few years.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-22 19:00:33

Funny. I'd just sent you an Email about this and then I saw your post. Thanks for the inf. I id notice the nice stereo mikes, but it was from Jim Fidler's podcast. A pretty cool feature. I've read mixed reviews on Amazon, but apparently the good far outweighs the bad as far as this machine goes. I think I saw maybe four negative reviewsout of twenty. I think I'm going to call some electronics stores in my area and see if any of them carries these things. Then if nothing else I can order a 2GB memory card separately if I can't find them there. But I could seriously see myself using this thing in my Psychology classes to record the lectures. Heck, I could use it in math class and just copy the files to my laptop.

2007-03-22 23:19:48

indeed Brian, just after I made the above post, i got your mail. Oh well.

Jim Fidler's review is indeed good, and as I said the R09 menue descriptions have been a Godsend. I think it says quite a lot for the accessibility of a device that various people (including me), have just been able to pull it streight out of the box and, with a litle help from internet resources, start using it streight away.

Ive got a 1.2 gig card in it at the moment, which serves very well, even in Wav, that means a good four or five hours recording (and unless you need to, there's no need to record in Wav).

And transferring of the mmachine is so easy you shouldn't have to use that much space on there anyway.

One accessary I would like to get for it though, is the rist strap and case, sinse these certainly don't come with the machine. At the moment I haven't wanted to wander around with it for fear of dropping it. I think it would be a good idea though, especially if I want to get creative with making sounds to be used with the Audio game maker.

Btw, your question actually reminded me it's high time that I cast another pod, so this evening I actually got off my lazy bumb and did that. I've sent it off to Blind Cool Tech, so expect it to appear soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-22 23:27:14

Nice. I'll be checking the site. Actualy, my momand i are going to do some browsing later today to see if we can't find a place that carries at least the R09. I've actually got  cuple jackets, one of which is light enough for the weather we've bee having here lately, that have inside pockets where I could conceivably store my unit. From the various descriptions i've heard from people who've cast pods about it (LOL), it sounds like it's only slightly larger than my Nokia 6682 phone. Something that small could fit in the inside pocket of a coat when it wasn't in use and then sit on a desk next to a laptop when it was recording. And I hear those mikes have quite a nice range to them. I particularly liked Eric Troop's cast where he took it out of the box for the first time. Quite funny actually.

2007-03-23 03:10:14

Hi, what is an r09? I get that it's for recording, but what is it.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-03-23 05:53:53

Indeed Brian, I too have jacketses with pockitses it would fit in, however sinse some of the recordings I'd like to do would be outdoors, ----- perhaps beside the lake here in colidge, I'd rather not take chances with holding it while recording, especially given the staggering proportion of drunken students around here, ;d.

Jim Troops recording is rather cool.

to Mike and Andy, the r09 is indeed a digital recorder produced by rowland, about the size of a mobile phone, a pair of sterrio mikes and the ability to reccord either in Wav or Mp3 at various sample rates.

It reccords directly onto memory cards rather than having an internal harddrive, and can be connected to a computer with a Usb cable.

while it's not specifically markited as assistive tech (it has an Lcd display), it's highly accessible, with easy controls for recording and an easy to memorize and navigate menue structure, so it's used by many visually impared people and sold by companies who also sell assistive tech, ---- well at least by one company, Hagar electronics here in England.

the only bad news is the price, it isn't cheap, ---- it set me back about 250 pounds which I believe is around 400 dollars.

For more information I'd check Blind cool tech, there are some great reviews there, both of the R09 and other digital recorders as well.

2007-03-23 06:59:14

Actually, considering just about everything else made for the blind, the Edirol R09 is in fact cheap by comparison. My mom and I did a bit of checking around and it looks like the Best Buy store here in Twin Falls carries them for about 399 dollars, so with a few well-placed paychecks from my Work Study position I should actually be able to get my grubby paws on one, possibly even by the summertime. That'd give me time to actually familiarize myself with the unit's menus an workings before! I start the fall semester of college. I was outside yesterday spending a few minutes with my mom's ducks (yep, you heard right duks), and I thoughtt it'd be cool to do one of those space podcasts that some people have done. Since we don't have a lake or pond on my property I'd just need to watch my step with the Roland. Actually the only other bad thing I've heard about it aside from the rather funky battery door is that, according to some people the casing is rather flimsy. One guy claimed that when he pulled the DC plug out of the unit for the first time it came apart in his hand. Fortunately he was able to put it back together again and it apparently still worked fine, but it slightly soured his feelings toward it. I might actually invest in the case that's supposed to be available for it, just to make absolutely certain.

2007-03-24 03:07:34

claudio, not only is your above post extremely off topic, but it's also asking people to engage in theft. Given the small size of the audio games industry, stealing from our devs actually does have a fairly serious chance of stopping game developement in future (If you don't believe me, look at the reason that Bpc programs almost shut down).

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with Goldwave, but if you do manage to get an R09, the sterrio mikes make sterrio recordings very easy.

brian, I always like those space reviews especially when it's someone I've encountered on a forum or on the audeasy list. I'd quite like to do one myself, particularly sinse Van Mildert colidge might be an interesting place to wander around in audio. We've even got ducks as wel, ----- maybe we'll have to have a duck comparison!

I deffinately like the idea of a case for the rowland, but I'm slightly confused as to why plugging in the power adapter should cause the rowland to come apart, ---- I use it on power constantly (I need to buy some batteries), and have never had any trouble.

I do wonder what exactly this chap said though, sinse the Dc adapter is one of those arrangements like most laptops have, where you've got the wire from the machine going into a power box, and another wire coming out of the box to a plug. The plug and box are certainly separatable, in fact, one thing I liked about the machine is it came with two plugs, a 3pin plug like the usual English ones, and a 2pin plug like the ones used in Europe (and in the Us I believe). So, if I go abroad, all I'll need to do is pull one lead out of the power box and incert another.

2007-03-24 07:04:24

Claudio,
  I agree with Dark. Not only is your post way off topic from what we were discussing, that which you ask is completely illegal. If you want a code for Pinball Extreme, you're going to have to buy it yourself. Nobody is going to give you their codes for free. That could get you and them in trouble with the developer.
  Andy, the Edirol R09 has all the features you see to be wanting. You can press record and you'll be off, and it syncs with PC's via a USB cable. Since most PC's have USB ports nowadays you should have no trouble. If you listen to the podcasts a www.blindcooltech.com, you'll learn a lot about the unit. One lady even went so far as to do a tutorial of the menus found in the system. GGranted it is slightly expensive, but from everything I've read it's well worth it.
  Dark, as for your confusion about the Edirol coming apart, the review is at amazon.com. Granted that site is oftentimes quite confusing. But one other person had a similar problem when a friend of his decided to try to attach a wrist strap to the unit with some Velcro. When it didn't work he apparently pulled the Velcro off only to have the casing come apart in his hand. Butagain, the good apparently farfar outweighs the bad according to all the reviews I've heard and read, so it's definitely on my list of things to hopefully have by the time fall semester rolls around.

2007-03-24 09:29:05

Hmmmm, it sounds like some units aren't put together all that well. One of the nice thing about hagar though, is they're very good about support. A couple of times, either myself, my brother or my mum has had to send A.P.H. tape recorders back for servicing (we all have one and have used them fairly extensively), hopefuly they would do the same with the R09, should anything nasty happen.

I can certainly confirm how useful the menues tutorial is, that was one of the things that I found really helpful when doing my first Bg hearts pod cast.

Both from the research I did before I bought it, (about models like the Rowland R1), and from what I've heard sinse, I'd deffinately say the R09 is your best bet as far as recording goes.

2007-03-24 22:36:41

Two people on amazon.com claimed that their R09 units fell apart on them. That's two out of twenty reviews on that site and nobody on Blind Cool Tech mentioned anything about that. My guess is that they must have somehow gotten faulty units. Although in both cases they were able to get the unit put back together and it apparently worked fine. Again, these are only two cases out of quite a lot more. And like I said, while the R09 is rather expensive it seems to be well worth the money. BTW Dark, thanks for the manual. That second attempt seems to have worked. I can read it with MS Word, at any rate, and it didn't say it was infected.

2007-03-25 11:35:33 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-25 11:40:15)

Well, I'd certainly be interested to know what other recorders are like. I went for the R09 partly because Hagar electronics recommended it (and Hagar have never been wrong in my experience when it comes to tech), partly because when I had a play with one at site village (the Uk's anual visually assistive Tech fest), I liked it, and partly because of stuff I read on Blind cool tech and elsewhere.

One thing I will say though Andy, is that as a general rule, anything that's markited as assistive tech has it's price jacked up by at least a few hundred quid!

so, anything with speaking menues will probably be hugely more expensive than a similar device without produced by a main stream company.

At risk of otticiousness here, the worst example of such a thing was a litle infrared device, that had a sensor and remote. Stick the sensor on something you want to find, press the remote at any distance up to about 90 foot, and the sensor would bleep! Very quick and handy (I rather fancied it for marking a train seet), however the three hundred pound price tag rather put me off! (that's betwene five and six hundred dollars I believe). Imho this is extremely rediculous!

Glad you liked the manual Brian. Converting to plain text from Pdf is always a good idea, sinse I find Pdf slightly more annoying to read and search through (I've often converted Fighting fantasy books from Pdf to plane text for this reason), and reducing the file size is another bennifit. Of course you lose the illustrations and such, but it's not as if I particularly miss these anyway.

If anybody else would like me to E-mail them a copy of the R09 manual in txt, just let me know.

2007-03-25 14:06:16

I couldn't agree more. I don't particularly like PDF. My Music Appreciation teacher has all the class assignments on his we site in PDF, but the way he scanned the, when a screen reader tries to read them the words are so close together it might as well be one word. Every question's like that. So you ight hve a question like what is speach? But your screen reader would read it as whatispeach. Yeah. Not particularly helpful.
  I think I remember the device you were talking about though. If i remember correctly it was called a Marco transmitter, though the one I remember actually had recorded speach instead of beeps. Either way it was quite spendy.

2007-03-25 19:07:51

As to "What manual" I Mean "Thee" manual for the R09. Hagar sent me a Cd with it in Pdf format (their nice like that). If you'd like one Andy I'll send you a copy.

As to Pdf's, the Occasional trouble I've had with such things is mostly to do with columns and formatting, so sometimes you get what is obviously a line from one page immediately followed by a line from the next page on the same line, just as if wonky scanning has occurred.

then, there are annoying Pdf's that just don't have! any text to extract at all, lots of old original Fighting fantasy books and other material (including almost all backlogs of academic journals), is stored with those sorts of pdf's, which are a real! pest!

I'm fairly certain the infrared thingy didn't have speech Brian, and I believe it was especially designed and sold by the chap who was showing it off (I also saw it at site village), but it's such a good idea i'd not be surprised if there were ceveral such things out there, ----- it's just annoying that people get so greedy especially with something that symple. I have a fairly good idea how the actual circuitry in something like that would work, even though i know nothing much about electronics, it's such a symple concept.

2007-03-26 17:05:19

Me, I can hardly wait to actually get my hands on one of these and have a look at it and see if it's as the various podcasters described it. I can then, as Dark once said, "get it out and have a quick play with it." And knowing me and new gadgets and things, On the day when I do at last pick one up my quick play wil turn into rather a long play, and consequently I probably will be up till at least half past three in the morning fooling with it. I particularly liked Jim Fidler's description. "It looks like an electric rayzor." I do happen to use one of those, so I'm curius to see the recorder that looks like one.

2007-03-26 23:35:43

Lol Brian! I always find myself slightly worried about getting to grips with new gagitry, but then when I start, I absolutely can't put it down!

Getting the R09 out at ten O.clock at night probably wasn't a good idea.

Having my castings of the pod quoted seems rather odd, not the least because as I said, I posted up a new one last Thursday on Blind cool tech and am hoping to do some once a week or so from now on sinse my production is finished. I've certainly got lots of things I'd like to do pod casts about, and not just game related stuff. As I said, I think an audio wander around Van Mildert colidge might be fun, and sinse it's now officially the easter holidays and thus we're at a low density of undergrads, now might be the time to do it.

Oooppse! sorry about the shameless advertising there.

I can see what Jim means about the electric razer, but sinse my own such razer is a rather posh (not to mention expensive), thing from Braun, with metal bits up the sides and one of those self-adjusting heads, it's not that similar.

I think the mobile phone things is probably closer, particularly one of those old chunky phones produced a few years ago (the ones with reasonable buttons), sinse the R09 is quite thick, though stil absolutely fine for the average pockit, ----- it's just a shame the price isn't, ;D.

2007-03-27 06:12:39

Andy Smith:
The topic is about the recorder not manuals in general. Asking for a manual for something else is very off topic. Please look at the topic title before you accuse other people of going off topic, at least they were still talking about the same device.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-27 11:40:16

Well, your odcast hasn't been put up there yet unfortunately. There haven't in fact been any updates to the site since the 23rd. But I'm hoping that with a few well-placed credit card payments the R09 can be safely in my grubby paws by July if not August. Hopefully I'll buy it in enough time to get nice and familiar with it (perhaps with a few more castings of the pod), and when class starts I can just get right down to recording.

2007-03-27 11:56:13 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-27 11:57:56)

My odd cast? Rofl! I'm going to deffinately pinch that litle phrase and use it later!

As to practice Brian, You should get the knack of the R09 fairly quickly I think, sinse it's extremely easy to use. I've been using it a lot to have work recorded for me sinse I got it, and it really is true you can just pull it out and record with it.

thinking about it though, I'm not quite certain how much distance you can get with the mikes, so if you'd like it for lectures Brian, I'd suggest sitting nere the front, ----- or maybe even seeing if you can stick it on the lecturer's desk.

I'm not sure what's going on with Blind Coll Tech, but if nothing appears before thursday, I'll Send Larry Skutchan another E-mail.

I remember a similar lag happened with my X-hour review, and obviously Larry must get plenty of these things submitted.

2007-03-27 14:26:29

Oops, forgot the p. Maybe the fact that I'mcurrently reading Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas might have contributed to that. But since I tend to sit fairly close to the front of the room anyway I shouldn't have any problems with the R09. Well, only one way to find out.