2013-11-06 00:59:14 (edited by CAE_Jones 2013-11-06 01:01:06)

Warning: Incredibly dark, and the author's biggest apparent weakness is an inability to go a page without dropping a cluster F-Bomb.

So, the story behind this link is incredibly awesome.
I'd point out how quickly and consistently it updates, but it's mostly complete at this point, barring a few more epilogue chapters.

I'd call it a reconstruction of the superhero genre. It starts out looking like it's going to be horribly cliche and angsty, with a typical high school bullying victim turned superhero, then it explodes (literally, after a fashion).
The characters are spectacularly done, in spite of how many there are. I never really felt overwhelmed by the population of named characters running around; the world is pretty well-developed and it all kinda seems natural. (Or at least, as natural as people who can stop time and set cities on fire can be.)
And the so-called clever characters are actually clever, rather than just smart in name only. It's hard to give examples without spoilers, but the main character's power is to control bugs. And she's the main character for a reason.

Another warning: it's a good candidate for "It Got Worse: the series". Whenever something goes right and looks like it had a happy ending, brace yourself for a carnival of horrors on the next page.

It addresses a number of tropes seen in superhero fiction, includes credible threats and lots of little details that make even more sense on rereads, compelling characters and relationships, and when the action is supposed to be intense, it delivers.

It's also long. Roughly four Wheel of Time books long. (Though it does not have four Wheel of Time books worth of filler, thank the light!)

(Oh, a few people have suggested that someone make an audio version, though the author is a bit apprehensive about it, I think mostly because they'd expect to need/want to be involved, and that would be incredibly time-consuming.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-06 10:09:09

Interesting, any idea how it stands up to Mersadies Lacky's The secret world chronicle which has similar idea of jaded super heroes such as an agoraphobic mage, a russian female superman who still thinks stalenist comunism is a good idea, and a superhero who's power is simply to be very very lucky. Plus of course you have to love any series who's principle vvillains are alien steampunk mech armor wearing flying saucer riding nazis from an alternate dimention! big_smile.

The only sad thing with secret world chronicle is that while the first two series were awsome, the first book being the invasion, the second being working out why, from series 3 it sort of goes off the plot and starts wandering around with waaaaaay! too many characters, in truth I've not actually read beyond series 4 though they're now starting series 6.

Oh, it also has the advantage of being entirely free and! in an audio podcast form too. I must confess I dislike reading with just a screen reader synth voice since it mostly just kills text for me, so even if the author wasn't interested in an actual audio drama I'd suggest he perhapd do considder getting someone to create a read podcast version Scot sigler style.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-11-07 02:58:25

I'm 6 chapters in and already loving this.  A friend of mine just read through it the past few months and got me into it, but he described it as though it were a comic or something.  So happy to see he was wrong... big_smile

2013-11-07 20:32:03

I got as far as:
http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/10 … 2%BD-bonus
portraying white supremacists in a sympathetic light disgusts me.  I have nothing in common with the so-called morality of an author who would even attempt this, and I cannot in good conscience continue to read this person's writing.

2013-11-08 00:18:18

The only sympathetic character associated with the white supremacists is Kayden/Purity, who appears to be basically bullied into it by her neo-nazi husband and the entirety of what makes her sympathetic is that everything she does is based around protecting her daughter. (It later turns out that she's not as nice as she looks in the interlude you linked--you already saw her berserk button if you read that, and, well, it gets pushed, and it gets ugly.)
The rest of them are all clearly evil--by the standards of most of the other villains, even--and the majority get some pretty nasty fates.

What the author does do is try to portray all the characters as... well... characters, rather than caricatures. There's an interlude from a dog's perspective, from an interdimentional god-like entity's perspective, from complete psychopaths' perspectives.

Sorry that an author is good enough to pose the idea that horrible people are still people sometimes.

(Spoilers, if you want to know how the white supremacists get treated after that interlude:
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Kaiser: uncooperative jerkface willing to murder nonwhites while taunting them about everything. Tries this on Lung, gets knocked out. Tries this on a giant monster, gets ripped in half.
Hookwolf: He's not the typical white supremacist, more of a warrior-nazi. He gets brainwashed and recruited by a roaming band of serial killers, then anticlimactically impaled with an omnidimentional rapier.
Kayden: Aster gets taken by Child protective services, she goes on a murderous rampage and destroys buildings and people and junk until she finds out where Aster is being kept. Then the setting's most successful mostly-humanoid serial killer thinks about torturing her by killing Aster and Theo in front of her, then decides to wait 2 years to see if Theo can trigger. Then she gets trapped in a time loop while being cut, while Aster is being kidnapped by said band of serial killers, which is basically a literal hell.
Night and Fog: Creepy sociopaths who are married and go through the motions of a healthy marriage, but are mutually faking the whole thing to the point that it creeps out the other neo-nazis. Their powers are terrifying, and their final fate is about the same as Kayden's.
Crusader: Decides to abandon Theo on a rooftop, then ... I don't remember, I think he gets stuck in one of those loops, too; he was with Purity at the time.
Victor: a skill-vampire who gets body-controlled by Regent. I don't remember if we hear from him again after that.
Stormtiger and Cricket: I don't remember their ultimate fates (they get beat and bloodied a lot, but everyone does, really), but they're portrayed mostly like proto-Hookwolves. Which is to say, jerks who like hurting people.
[/spoilers]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-08 10:16:03

Well there is portraying characters as people, as Cae said, since surprisingly enough the actuall nazis didn't start out as psychotic aliens from the planet fashist, they just started out as people with a political view, indeed one interesting recent historical doctor who set in 1934 berlin actually portrays the brown shirts, forrunners to the ss as the only effective police force in the city and explained people followed them simply because they were best at organizing things and putting down petty crime.

Of course, there is a big difference between just having characters who are characters, and then indorcing a view in the world, structure, society that is created or the actions of characters belonging to specific groups, or in the voice of the author or as characters who are intended to be such, (this is one reason I class wheel of time as sexist, because the cosmology of the world implies it and because all male and female characters behave in a certain way, for all it doesn't completely spoil my appreciation of the series though I do think it's a problem).

I suspect Worm as Cae said is the former, though I wish there was an audio version at least read by a human.

synths and novels for me just don't! mix, though I might make an exception as I did for the falcon banner books if it's an unusualy good

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-11-08 16:21:47

Agreed about the Wheel of Time; sometimes it seems like the differences between men and women is one of the major points of the whole thing.

The Worm universe basically branches from our own at some point in the 1980s, and most people who gain superpowers do so through what is called a trigger event; that is, when something really awful happens. So third world countries, women and minorities are over represented in the cape population, simply because they tend to have it worse on average. This screws with the balance of power in some ways; someone noticed pretty far through that there did not appear to be much if any sexism, what with powers leveling the field, but radical groups like Empire Eighty Eight (the neo-nazis) and end-of-the-world cults get enough power to be serious threats rather than the crazy people in the news.
This also means the balance is in favor of villains--the people who have trigger events are most likely to react in bad ways, or to have issues with the legal system, etc, so heroes are outnumbered pretty badly. Villains also get more minions, what with being villains, but getting labeled a hero usually means one must cooperate with the powers that be, which has the benefit of getting military support when needed.
The nasty side-effect of that last bit is that not cooperating with the existing structure as much as possible causes lots of coordination and image problems. So there are plenty of "in name only" on both sides of the coin. (Plenty of, but not overwhelmingly so. Many of the so-called villains are genuinely scumbags (the neo-nazis, for example), and many of the heroes are actually heroic. It's the ones who toe the line who tend to advance the plot, though.)

(At some point, the author admitted to starting out writing primarily horror, which explains a great deal. For example, the group of villains based on horror movie stereotypes. They even had a creepy clown at one point, but that one's dead by the start of the story.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-08 17:25:17

I've read a few ten thousands of words into the story and it's OK. The writing quality is fine though not particularly excellent, the characters get a healthy amount of development, but boy howdy does this author love her grim dark. It's as if her formula goes OK, now that our morally ambiguous characters have scraped out of their last problem, let's throw in another psycho and reveal the world is even more screwed than we previously thought.

It can be forgiven a bit due to web novels having much in common with fanfics having a slower pace, but her quick update schedule really shows at times and it could use a few editors.

All in all it's not terrible by any means, but I fail to see the massive amounts of awesome it is from all the hype. Great ideas, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired.

2013-11-08 18:57:54

@Cae sounds interesting in that way, though I don't know about darkabomination's comments, since moral ambiguity and amxt get so rammed down your throat in the world of general fiction it doesn't really interest me anymore, still worse when it seems the author is doing it for it's own sake.

i mean Jim butcher's dresden "oh no! it's so sad I haven't had a girlfriend for four years! and I have yet another power that's going out of control"

Oh for god's sake grow a bloody spine!

What the hell has happened to characters who are just vaguely decent? shocking as it might sound, for all the world contains lots of scumbags and closit villains and saidists and sociopaths, there actually are! some people who just feel compassion for others and will go out of their way to be reasonable occasionally not because they think it's the law or they're making up for past wrongs or they have some great complex, just because it's sort of the way they are and what they do and they actually feel that the good of others is occasionally worthwhile.

This is one reason I really enjoyed the game of thrones books (don't know about the series), since characters really rn the gammet of motivations and experiences and moralities, which made the world feel far more real.

I've also noticed a thing about web cerials often descending despite a good idea. I once read a truly horrible series on podiobooks which had a great premise, what would happen if a bunch of tabletop rp players actually became! their characters. The problem, the author pretty much had no idea how most rp worked, represented all of his players as a bunch of adolescent boys with obsessions about one thing (the one girl was a completely naive romantic fool), and finally has the hole thing basically descend into debauchery and characters randomly murdering each other for no readily apparent reason, ---- indeed I found myself wondering if that was how they behaved, how the hell were they a coherent rp group in the first place?

I read to the end because I have an inherent problem with finishing books half way through, but why such a good idea turned into such a pile of putrescence I don't know, ---- again, where's the editer?

as I said I don't know about worm, it's something I might have to look at though to be honest I've got more than enough in audio to keep me busy. Right now I'm reading the 2003 sequel to the classic day of the triffids, written in conscious mirroring of John Wyndham's style by Simon Clarke,and really enjoying it, especially how close to wyndham's mentality and style Clarke is, heck the book even feels! in it's background assumptions as if it were written in the 50's,  which for a modern author is highly impressive.

2013-11-08 20:53:03

For what it's worth, I'm a major Dresden Files fan, so...

Something I've noticed with a lot of serial novels Especially superhero ones is that they tend to be very slice of life, to the point where there can be a lot of filler feeling like it was just done to fit the author's scheduled chapter per week.

One of the biggest examples being the Whateley universe. Started with the typical superhero high school premise, though it had some interesting powers and did a decent job with treating teenage sexuality realistically. The problem started when many one-off characters were so beloved by the fans that they got their own spinoff novels in the same universe, and this kept happening until the main story had to painfully slow down to keep everything up to speed and the continuity straight. Now what started as a chronicle of high school with 6 characters is a dynamic cast of 35 students having their own POV novels and a host of their friends who get subplots. Great character examinations and development making the universe more interesting, but at the cost that the school has only gone on for a semester and it's been in constant production with 12 authors writing since 2004.

Not helped by the fact that many side authors with their own casts are actually better writers than the main core, but have to halt their stories so everyone else can catch up.

It's all so elaborate that I've long since quit.

Or the Tales of MU, which had a similar concept, accept it was a college set in a typical D and D world that had gone through a modern society with advanced magic. The world building and long term plots are genuinely interesting, but the rest feels like a bad party flic as everyone is screwing each other, angsting, and focusing on homework.

2013-11-09 03:40:07

I think grimdark might be an understatement. tongue Somehow, that doesn't bother me, even though I'm kinda wishing something genuinely upbeat would come out of the literary ether any day now.
Regarding the writing: yeah, the lack of an editor shows in the first few arcs. Eventually, the author started saying that there wouldn't be any further corrections to the early arcs, since they'll probably receive major rewriting if it winds up in ebook format. (A specific weakness that came up a lot in discussions was sensory descriptions; this gets a bit better after a while, but it's noticeable.)

I've heard recommendations for Tales of Mu, though I haven't looked into it (And they usually aren't more specific than "Oh, by the way, there's sexuality out the wazoo", which tells me nothing other than that it's in that category of things I'd be reluctant to read if the people recommending it hadn't made decent (and tamer) recommendations in the past).

Worm is dark. The first arc isn't the best, I'd say (I was skeptical until about chapter three or four, then the plot kept me reading; the first chapter makes it sound like it's going to be pretty typical, and the writing improves as it continues, so... yeah... I don't blame anyone who dislikes the first couple chapters.). But it ... gets worse. Then the protagonists do something awesome and pull through... and it gets worse again.
It has its share of genuinely good characters, but most of them get tied up in things that limit what they can do. The top three heroes, for instance, are mostly just working out of a desire to do good (though one of them might be a bit... ah... well... one of them not so much), but they're tangled up in a nasty conspiracy they can't afford to abandon. (The one with the most moral integrity is actually left out of most of the conspiracy's secrets because they know he won't like the shadier tradeoffs they have to make.)

Then there are people who can't play as nice as they'd like because of the nature of their powers; some who pretty much have to engage in psychological warfare and subterfuge, which just upsets everyone.

The most likable characters, IMO, are the nicer ones (I'd count Taylor among them, even though she resorts to some pretty dark tactics when circumstances call for it--see the first fight in the series). And Tattletale, though everyone who hates her definitely earned the right to their hatred.
Though there is this nasty tendency for most of the more heroic characters to stay in the background most of the time. Which sucks; some of the best bits are in their chapters.

I think the author does have an affinity for broken characters, though. tongue. Some of the comments have indicated that all the early ideas that eventually led to Worm with Taylor as the main character focused on other, even more messed up people.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-09 05:38:19

Reminds me a lot of Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons. I don't know how dark Worm gets, but boy howdy PH is very, very dark. The main cast consist of a cynical broken sex slave, a traumatized 14 year old who is the rape child of said slave, an immortal assassin who doesn't give a damn about right or wrong and pretty much hangs with the group because she likes them and doesn't have much better to do, a sniper who's a psychological dumping ground of traumatizing memories and emotions from the hive mind she works for, an idealistic doctor who comes from one of the few functioning societies left who is forced to deal with a world that cares nothing for helping others and crushing her spirit, and an anti hero doing her best to keep a moral code when even her friends tel her to stop and call her sentimental for taking the time to rescue children from slavers and worse.

Which is all set after the apocalypse in an industrial city converted into an experimental weapons and testing factory with most of it's abominations still running around and causing hell. And that's just the setup, things can get better, but not before going completely to hell and usually requiring many character sacrifices and suffering.

2013-11-09 16:49:09

Some things are just...flat-out evil.  Racial supremacists are one of those things.  The author seems to believe that everyone has a core of good deep inside them, and so that's why it's OK to portray even the most depraved evil-doers as people.  This is not something I believe, and so that is why I can no longer continue to read this work.  I admit, most people *are* good and decent.  But Nazis and pedophiles are my two big exemptions to that; anything else can be rationalized, and any other type of person can change, accept for those two types. So I can't stomach any kind of fiction that attempts to portray them otherwise.  The comment thread where people were chastising Glory Girl for beating up a skinhead, and calling her evil for going too far, sickened me.  If she could have gotten away with it, she should have exterminated him.  What she did was bad only because she wasn't taking into account how it would effect her family and friends.  Some people absolutely cannot be rehabilitated, and it is wrong to try.

2013-11-10 01:30:12

I doubt that the impression the author was trying to convey was that she was advocating their actions. She shows the white supremacists as characters, not because that she agrees with their motives. She shows all characters in depth. She nowhere yet has mentioned the fact that these characters have any goodness in them whatsoever.

stereotypical spoiler warning
If you reached that point remember that she showed the main character as shocked that they would not retrieve the captured girl. The "supervillains" were shown as pretty decent people (apart for the armed robbery).
end stereotypical spoiler

It would be similar to a book written about world war II not showing nazis entirely. Just because the book contains characters  that are seen as evil, doesn't mean that the author is trying to show that they are good people.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2013-11-10 02:18:10

@stewie: I'm not sure that I understand your point. A book about world war II that portrayed Nazis as anything other than psychopathic evil is not! a book I would read.

2013-11-10 03:49:42

Your worldview is not realistic. Hitler had a family, a dog, tried to get into art school, avoided many common vices like tobacco, and was a vegetarian, and was terrified of the Red Army to the extent that he chose suicide over facing their wrath. These are true in spite of the fact that he was such a monster that he is now the archetypical meglomaniacal villain of all mankind.
Hitler's not really a good example, though, since it seems likely that he had some sort of psychological problem. More of a charismatic idiot who was good at hate-mongering and finding powerful friends and little else.
I also think you underestimate the prevalence of white supremacists in the general population. There are a lot of people around today who seem perfectly human until they pass a nonwhite on the street. The past century and a half has not eliminated them, just called them out for being horrible.

If a vigilante accidentally killed a skinhead in our world, the police would still crack down on vigilantism, and the family of the skinhead would be outraged. Now imagine that vigilante is a public figure, a teenaged girl, and people are already looking at her and her family funny for deliberately not joining up with the establishment. Everyone would be glad that the victim was someone nasty, sure, but is it not obvious why that would still be a bad idea? (Especially in Glory Girl's case, since she's supposedly invincible and could not claim self defense.)

Nazis are not born; they develop from real people. This is important. The hows and whys are crucial to preventing a repeat of what happened the last time nazis took power. To denounce the subject of investigating them as people on the grounds that they are obviously unsympathetic evil is at best unwise. (In fact, the famous Milgram Experiment, the Robbers' Cave experiment, etc, were all based around trying to figure out what in the world went wrong to get the sorts of insanity that came about during and before World War II.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-10 04:12:54

exactly. The most important thing people overlook about Hitler is that more than anything else, he was as human as the rest of us. Little known fact is that when his mother was dying, a jewish doctor did his best to save her, but failed. Did he rage and kill him on the spot, no. Did he order his newly established police to send him to a concentration camp, no. He called him the world's only noble jew, and made sure he and his family were given special protection and a passport to the United States.

The fact that he could save one family writing them off as unique while condemning an entire culture to genocide, if anything is even more terrifying.And there's something to be learned in that.

If you strip away the irrational hatred and prejudice under the worst people, you'll find a normal human within those mental boundries.

Calling someone evil and justifying their deaths is exactly the same sort of prejudice at work. Remember that at the end of the day, everyone thinks they are doing the best they can, and will justify any negativity as unavoidable.

2013-11-10 05:25:00 (edited by fastfinge 2013-11-10 05:40:41)

There comes a certain boundary where we have to declare the limits of humanity.  Those who do what pedophiles and white supremacists do are not humans because we, on mass, have decided that humans do not and should not do these things.  We cannot allow ourselves to create a society where these people are accorded the rights of humans.  While Hitler may have started off as a man, he became so twisted that, by the time of World War II, he no longer qualified.  Yes, I fully recognize that I share the world with many of these racist types.  It just goes to prove that these people will not, and cannot, change, no matter how much time and effort we focus on reeducation.  Those who commit crimes based on race are the second most evil alive, beat out only by pedophiles.  This has been shown time and time again, from the crusades, to Rwanda, to the Armenian Genocide, to WWII. 

@cae_jones: your story about Hitler and the noble Jew is mostly scene in the same antisemitic quarters where people claim that the gas chambers are a massive lie, Anne Frank is a fake, and no Jews were killed in Germany during World War II.  I see no reason to accept it as truth, and I would advise you to be much more careful about the sorts of places you get your information.  As to things like Milgram, that's not really relevant.  When I discuss Hitler, I am discussing him and the people in charge, not the general mass of brainwashed German people who went along with it because they didn't know any better, or felt forced into it.  Today's racism has nothing to do with Milgram, as at least in the western world, the authorities are generally against it.  Therefor those who are openly racist are acting in free will, despite the pressures upon them not to do so.  The only thing that can be done about them is to begin to remove them from society.  If they, in fact, do have families, their children will be much better off not growing up with the taint of evil.  I should also clarify that I do not mean just telling racist jokes, or saying unfortunate things.  While that is terrible in and of itself, as that kind of talk, if allowed to continue unchecked, will always lead to action, someone telling an inappropriate joke has not yet become so twisted as to be inhuman.  But a skinhead who has actually beat a black person to death for no other reason than that she was black...I have no time for anything or anyone who wants to portray them with any sympathy what so ever.  It seems clear that the man Glory Girl was beating on, and the woman that the author then treated with an extremely inappropriate level of sympathy, had done far worse than just beating people to death.  This makes the entire fiction extremely suspect in my mind, and nothing that I can continue to read or support, as I have vast doubts about the author's character, that I cannot resolve by just pretending that Purity has a baby, so...she must be OK...or we shouldn't hate her with everything in our being...or something?

Edit: just to check my facts, I decided to look up the story about this Jewish doctor that Hitler supposedly spared.  Information about it is in the antisemitic website _Real Jew News_, along with lots of other stuff about the Jewish conspiracy; the featured article at the moment is apparently titled _A Jew "Rothstein" Runs Homosexual TV_.  The story is also mentioned on the websites _Zion Crime Factory_, _The Holocaust Hoax: The "Six-Million" Lie_, and on the blog of someone named John Friend, an individual who also writes articles like _Jews in the Obama administration_, _Sandy Hook shooting: Where's the proof?_, and _Two "Super Keys" to understanding the New World Order_.  So we can sure tell that this is a guy we can trust...not!  I think I've given any story about Hitler's humanity as much, and probably far more, attention than it deserves.

2013-11-10 23:34:49 (edited by stewie 2013-11-10 23:54:11)

I do agree with you that they are evil. That doesn't nessessarily mean they are doing this of their free will.

In the days of slavery, why do you think that most of society agreed with those policies? Humans  are far too easily manipulated. If most other humans are continuing an action, the psychological reflex is to follow
them.

Milgram was attempting to ascertain how this worked. He determined that a person would injure another person if he was sufficiently threatened or manipulated into doing so. It's just a portion of human psychology.

Also note that if a person is set on a particular point of view, he or she wlil see his/her actions as good, not evil. Evil is a relative term, and has nothing to do with some cosmic force of good or evil in the universe. The concept is entirely determinate on the person's mind.

The author does not portray these characters as good people. The empire 88 are shown killing people, and another is shown kidnapping a child just to gain the probabilities of outcomes. They act in the way they do outwardly due to the fact that they believe in their actions. The author doesn't advocate these actions, and the main character often comments on how she dislikes the white supremacy aspect of them. The only ppeople in that environment she sides with are the 4 she initially met, and even that fades when they act in an immoral way.

Also I'm pretty sure that the main character is black, as well as Grue.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2013-11-11 00:07:46

The Skinhead that Glory Girl beat up didn't really come across as sympathetic at all. Actually, they went so far as to give him misleading information while his back was broken to try and scare information out of him. Then they left him with residual pain/numbness after healing so he would assume some of the specific injuries might not have been healed, would need to go to a hospital, and would immediately be recognized as a member of a hate group. And I doubt even his fellow racists felt sorry for him.
As soon as GG described what he'd done, he was basically a prop to show GG and Panacea's characters.

Kayden's more an example of someone's beliefs getting warped by an abusive relationship. Things like that happen in real life to a horrifying extent. If anything, the fact that she gets less sympathetic as the story goes on kinda detracts from that point.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-11 02:22:36 (edited by fastfinge 2013-11-11 02:24:39)

I think we're going to have to agree to table the issue.  I see no point in turning this into a multi-page flamewar, and that is really the only direction this can go.  Especially because Hitler has come up.  I've stated pretty clearly my feelings that evil is evil, and should be so treated.  I'm dismayed that the majority of people here do not, apparently, feel this way.  I'm not sure if it's out of a kind of misguided tolerance, or some sort of inexplicable moral relativism, but the off-topic section of the Audio Games Forum is not an appropriate place for us to engage in this battle. 

I originally wrote agree to disagree, and then retracted it.  I do not agree with any of you on any particular what so ever, and believe that you are all not only misguided, but dangerously, scarily, extremely, wrong in the worst possible way.  But I can't put over my feelings on the matter strongly enough without risking moderator interference. Also, the fact that I am hijacking another topic at this point, and that these replies are not threaded, are both things that are rather unhelpful.  So I will surrender the field, with the observation that any discussion that in any way excuses the actions of someone like Purity, no matter what her circumstances, is totally inappropriate for any sane human to engage in.

2013-11-16 08:52:17

Hi,
Started reading this a few days ago,and I have enjoyed it so far. What I like in this series as with many others of my favourites is the kind of realism it portrays. sort of. The heros don't always win,and the bad guys aren't all bad,and the good one's aren't saints either. I guess what I am trying to say is it doesn't show things as black and white,but underlying reasons for what they do.grayish I'd say, a example beeing armsmaster without spoileing anything.
I have reached the half way point so far,and I intend on continueing reading.
Thanks for the recommendation,CAE!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2013-11-18 03:58:33

I realized I wasn't reacting well in time to keep myself from saying anything horribly stupid (at least not where there wasn't a delete button handy). I'm bound to say something stupid if it keeps up, so I'm hoping we can leave it dropped for now.

On further rereading, it's clear to me that the writing in the first couple sections is pretty weak compared to where it ends up. It comes across in many respects as a super Nanowrimo type thing, where major editorial stuff is left for later, unless it's something that can be corrected quickly, like typoes or one or two misleading phrases. I'm still impressed in spite of this (If not for the source of the recommendation, I might not have kept on past the first chapter, but I am very glad I did).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-11-18 08:41:06

That's the impression I was getting, I was wondering why people said it was so good. Guess I'll try and get back to it to find the good stuff.

2013-11-18 18:56:56

How far did you make it before giving up?
On rereading, I found that 3.1 seems like a good place to start, even though you lose a lot of the introductions from the previous sections. It lays out the primmice (I can never remember how to spell that word), is an ok introduction to Taylor and Tattletale, sneaks in some worldbuilding, and some action follows on the very next page.
While the information in 1 and 2 is worth having, yeah, they're definitely not the best parts writing-wise.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.